• Published 5th Feb 2015
  • 351 Views, 5 Comments

Before Celestia~ - CuttingEdge



In the days before Celestia, shortly after the founding of Equestria. The earth ponies began construction on the first great city of Canterlot. The unicorns raised and lowered the sun uniformally, But it was up to the pegasi to defend it all.

  • ...
 5
 351

Dark skies. Darker sides.

Hurricane walked from the doorway over to Bluesky's bed.
"I need to ask the recruit to leave." He looked right at Blaze and gestured to the door.

Blaze opened his mouth but was cut off by Blueskies.
"It's okay. He's a friend, anything you say to me you can say to him." She looked calm enough as she said this.
Unlike Blaze who was terrified to be standing in the shadow of the Pegasus battalion's head commander.

"Are you sure? Only if he can WHOLLY be trusted." He gave Blaze the look-over.
A grunted smirk showed a sort of "This guy?" attitude.

"I trust him more than I trust you. Shoot."
Blaze had recovered almost enough to say the question "You're a commander now!?"
But before he could ask the Admiral spoke up.

"Ok. . . The dragon that you killed was, as you know the third in a week. Dragons are rare creatures. This can only push my theory about them being controlled by- by Diacon. This can't be a coincidence! To have that many in such a short period of time, they must be being sent at us."
Hurricane lost his composure after he uttered the word "Diacon".

"But there are too many reasons you must be wrong. We do not even know if Diacon ever existed, much less if he is still alive!"
Blueskies too seemed to stutter when she said Diacon.

"And what of the others? Dark Minotaurs, the turned, great wolves? All rare creatures, and yet no changelings?"
Blaze's question about Bluesky's rank was long gone. This conversation had left him with far more important questions.
"The one who the dragons obey, minotaurs are his soldiers, wolves his kin. He scares the earth, the waves stop splashing when he walks the beach. Ponydom fears him. Changelings fear him tenfold. No-one sees his face. No-one survives his hand."
Hurricane muttered this loudly. The way he said it, like a nursery rhyme with no heart, no rhyme.

"Yes! The signs are there! The signs of a tall-tale. There is nothing pointing to a Diacon of the Wolver actually existing. And in the story he dies anyway." Blueskies explained half of Blaze's questions. But many more still remained.

"Blueskies. . . Pansy's group found something. An army of Wolver passing through the past-boarder hills. They moved with speed, and at the head. . ." Hurricane gulped. "They saw something. They couldn't get a good view, didn't want to risk being seen by that many great wolves. They said they saw a big one. The biggest wolver they had ever seen. But apart from that, when one of the soldiers stared at it. He started to panic. The whole troop reported a sense of dread that lasted long after they left for cloudsdale."

Blaze couldn't hold it any longer.
"Okay, OKAY! Somepony please start telling me what the HAY is going on here."

Blueskies sighed.
"Diacon of the Wolver is a fairy tale. It's about the "King of the great wolves" who walked the earth thousands of years ago. He brought destruction in his wake, he abused his mighty power. This made enemies, lots of them. The pony tribes, the many creatures who had suffered at his paw, and even the enemies of the allies against the enemy rose up. Almost every species but the changelings fought the war. They ultimately won, a number beyond the millions were the total casualties of the war. Diacon was overthrown and the allies parted the way they had joined. Neutral parties. What Hurricane doesn't realize is there's a THE END in that story."
Blaze listened to every word.

"What Blueskies doesn't realize is that Diacon was never killed, the book says this: "Diacon was overpowered, he fell to the enemy forces and his army left in defeat." Never "Diacon died and the people made sure of it."

"Take the time to memorize that did you, Hurricane?" Blueskies looked at him in defeat.
"Besides, if Diacon is alive then heaven knows we're all dead."
Blaze disliked the last part of that.

The room was silent for a while. Hurricane had obviously won that battle and Sky knew it.

"So, Sky. You're saying a really big bad fairy tale wolf has come out of our nightmares to gobble us up?"
Blaze tried to poke the question at her.

"Yes. Why you have to put it like that, i don't know."

"Shhh!" Hurricane shushed the two and started looking at the walls.
He scanned up and down the room like a pony looking for a loose squirrel.

"I don-" Blaze was cut off by more shushing.

"SHHHHH!" Hurricane kept gazing around the room, looking for anything.

Slowly chanting came into the room. a noise so quiet that it was not even worthy of a whisper.
"Cal - Ec - Diacon - Se - don."
In a loop. Hurricane's eyes widened as the noise grew.
From background noise to whisper, whisper to voice, voice to chant, chant to shout, shout to scream.
Until the world around them seemed unintelligible.

"CAL - EC- DIACON - SE - DON!"
Blaze screamed as loudly as he could. It did nothing to penetrate the noise ringing in his ears.
His vision went fuzzy. Spots swam from the corner of his eyes to the center.
The noise was killing off his other senses.
Just then, when it seemed he would die from the sheer noise, it stopped. Not entirely, but to the point it was hardly heard.

"Is it gone?" Blaze whispered.
He looked up, his vision finally clear. Blueskies and Hurricane were both curled into individual balls. Their hooves were clenched against their ears.
"Guys? You still hearing it or something?"
Blaze nudged Blueskies.

"Ssssshhhhh. My ears hurt."
Sky stayed in a ball but shifted slightly.

Just then, when the noise was all gone that another noise came to the pegasi's ears.
Drums, thousands of drums. They came from outside.

"Sky, stay here. I'm gonna check out what's there."
Blaze glided out of the room slowly. Looking back on his way out he saw that Hurricane had just stood up.

Outside the medical bay was quite a sight.
Perched on the boarder between the green Equestrian grass and the dry dead earth of the outside was an army.
Blaze couldn't even place a guess at how many there were.
Great wolves, Dark Minotaurs, The Turned, Ursa Majors and kin, Dragons. But at the front stood a creature that looked more dangerous than the army itself. A wolf like creature that stood seventy feet in height. Spikes lined it's back and it had claws the size of any average pony.
It's face was the worst part. It was turned in a foul angry position, scars covered it's snout and fangs came out in an enormous underbite.
It's eyes were red. Hate filled them, hate that no pony could know.
Finally it spoke.

"I am Diacon of the Wolver. I have returned for this new land to conquer it. Any who stand in my way will not last. Any who get out of it will be left alive. Leave, ponies. Your tribes are nothing to my army. I will not think twice to kill you all." It started walking over the boarder. Looking at Blaze of all ponies on it's way.

Hurricane flew up to Blaze. "Well, he exists. . . And Commander Skies was right. We're dead if we fight today."

"Then we fight another day."

Hurricane looked back at Blaze. "We fight another day. . ."