• Published 31st Jan 2015
  • 663 Views, 4 Comments

The Shadows of the Past - mikki



King Sombra was not always evil. This is my take on his story.

  • ...
9
 4
 663

The Dark Unicorn

"Push, my queen, push!" shouted the nurse as Queen Phoenix Flame cried for King Rubinus.

"What it is Phoenix?" asked Rubinus.

"I am a dark unicorn. And here on my death bed I wish you will take good care of Sombra." whispered Phoenix as her breathing stopped, the kings eyes filled with tears.

"King, I believe you might want to see your son, Sombra." said Nurse Aloe handing the alicorn king his son.

"Why is his horn curved, the wretched thing?"

"Well his mother was a dark unicorn."

"Where is he?" exclaimed King Rubinus' sisters, princess Rubine, a red alicorn with white patches, and Princess Saphira, a blue alicorn with white patches.

"Rubinus, he is beautiful!" gasped Saphira.

"Phoenix died giving birth, the poor soul." wept Rubine.

"Why does he have a curved horn? He must be killed," snarled Rubinus.

"His mother was a dark unicorn, you ungrateful swine," screamed Rubine smacking Rubinus as Saphira took the young colt to the room of the two princesses.

"I care not what you think of this foal, but he is your own offspring so you shall not kill him. If you do I will make sure the Crystal ponies will find out."

"But Rubine, he is not normal,"gasped Rubinus staring at his twin sister in fear.

"I care not. I will raise him with Saphira since you obviously couldn't give a buck if this colt lives or not."shouted Rubine as she went to her room, greeting Saphira and Sombra with a smile.

"Worry not Sombra. Auntie Saphira and Auntie Rubine shall take care of you."

***

A few years later Princess Rubine playing with Sombra showing him different gems and crystals, because Saphira was in Saddle Arabia.

"This is a diamond, this an onyx crystal, this is an emerald, this a sapphire, and this is a ruby," gleamed Rubine.

"Ruby as in you, Auntie?"

"No, I am not made of rubies. But you do need to sleep. It's late." answered Rubine putting the gems away as Sombra took the ruby and using his magic carved a figure of his aunt. As Rubine turned around, a brief flash was seen near Sombra's flank. A cutie mark of three rubies appeared.

"Sombra, what is that?"

"I made you out of this ruby."

"Well you sure have a talent with rubies since cutie mark!"