• Published 20th Jan 2015
  • 958 Views, 19 Comments

To Walk Among Us - Mossbender



Two worlds. Both very similar yet very different. What happens when a young survivor from Earth... is raised by the most unexpected of creatures? A long road filled with love, loss, discovery, and adventure lies ahead for these two in Equestria.

  • ...
1
 19
 958

Baby Steps

Rose gently nudged the door do the guest room open, only to find that Rarity had fainted. Peaches didn't seem to care though as he continued to gnaw away at the peach, having almost reached its pit.

"Rarity? Rarity!" Rose shouted as she quickly walked over to Rarity's fallen form. She rolled Rarity over onto her stomach and carefully lifted her up onto the guest bed. Peaches paused in the middle of his chewing and stared at both Rose and Rarity, curious as to what was going on.

"Hahee?" Peaches asked outloud which caused Rose to look up at him.

"She'll be alright Peaches if that's what you're asking," Rose replied and she looked back down at the unconcious form of Rarity. "I've never heard Rarity scream like that before, to be honest I didn't think the little filly could even reach a pitch that high. You must have shocked her pretty well little guy." Peaches had already lost interest in the situation and resumed eating his peach, although it didn't really matter anyway since he couldn't understand a word that Rose had said.

"What am I going to say when she wakes up?" Rose asked herself quietly. "I can't let Rarity tell anypony else about Peaches, not yet anyway. Maybe if I just tell her the truth... hopefully she can keep it a secret. I'm not sure how everypony else wou-" She suddenly stopped talking when Rarity's eyes slowly fluttered open. Rarity noticed that Rose was standing next to her and she felt a small amount of comfort because of that.

"M- Ms. Rose Wind? W- what happened?" Rarity asked, still feeling a bit groggy. "I remember turning on the light, and then..." Her face lit up as she remembered the filthy creature she had seen. "That thing! Where is it? Is it still here? Is it-" She stopped mid-sentence since she felt that something was slowly making its way through her mane. She slowly turned her head around, only to come face to face with the thing she had seen earlier. Rarity pulled herself away and fell off the bed, trying to get as far away from the thing as possible. She took a deep breath and was about to scream again when Rose planted a hoof over her mouth.

"Rarity! You have to calm down! Please!" Rose tried to say as gently as possible, only to end up slightly yelling. "He doesn't mean you any harm, just please... please listen to me." Rose looked into Rarity's eyes to find that they were filled with fear. She didn't know what was galloping through the little filly's mind at that moment, but she knew that she had to remain as calm as possible. "Now... I'm going to take my hoof off of your mouth, but you must promise me that you won't leave or tell anypony else about this. Do you promise?" Rarity looked back and forth between Rose and the door and slowly nodded. Rose smiled and she removed her hoof from Rarity's mouth, allowing her to speak clearly once more.

"Ms. Rose Wind, I don't mean to be rude, but what in Equestria did you bring into your home this time?" Rarity asked, slightly annoyed that she could feel sticky peach juice in her mane. "First we see you bring in a Timberwolf pup, then a Phoenix hatchling, and now..." She eyed Peaches up and down and watched as he tossed the eaten peach away. "Now you bring in this creature! And a rather icky one at that." Rose looked over at Peaches to find that he was rolling around the bed and smiled.

"I don't know what he is Rarity, but what I do know is that as soon as I laid my eyes on Peaches, there was just... something about him," Rose replied softly. "I agree that he has to be cleaned up a bit though, he does smell a bit gross." Rarity giggled at the fact but she quickly stopped and cleared her throat.

"So his name is Peaches then? It fits him rather well to be honest," Rarity said and Rose nodded in return. Rarity watched as Peaches began to crawl over towards her until he got to the edge of the bed and sat down. The bedroom light caused the necklace around his neck to shine brightly, which caught Rarity's attention. "Ms. Rose Wind, did you give him that necklace? It's very beautiful."

"I didn't actually, I found him with the necklace as well as a blanket and what he is wearing currently, which leads me to believe that whatever he is, they are somewhat civilized," Rose replied and she picked up Peaches and gently lowered him to the ground. "I didn't see any sign of his parents in the Everfree, but I just couldn't leave him there with all the Timberwolves prowling around and such."

"Well... If I were in your hooves Ms. Rose Wind, I probably would have done the same thing," Rarity said. "But there is just one more thing I have to ask you."

"And what is that little one?" Rose asked.

"How are you going to take care of him? Remember what happened the last time with the Phoenix hatchling? Some ponies have scorch marks on their hooves still!" Rarity exclaimed. Rose opened her mouth to reply, only to close her mouth shortly after. To be honest, she hadn't thought that far ahead yet. She just wanted to get the little guy home. Her mind wandered to the Phoenix hatchling incident and she shuddered.

"Yes, I remember that incident quite clearly, but things will be better this time Rarity, I promise," Rose said, her voice filled with confidence. "Third time's a charm, right?" Rarity looked at Rose, clearly not impressed with her response. Rose noticed this and sighed. "Alright Rarity, I guess I might need some help, but where should I start? He likes peaches, but that's all I know." Rose felt something hug her right foreleg and she looked down to find that Peaches was nuzzling her. She thought that it was the most adorable thing ever and lowered her head to nuzzle his face in return.

"I am not a parent Rose, but I think I know a good place to begin," Rarity said. "First things first though, I need a bath. You can clean Peaches up after I am done." Rarity reached into the saddlebag that Rose still carried and brought out a variety of soaps before she left the room without another word. Peaches had watched Rarity leave and decided to follow her, only to be stopped by Rose as she stepped over him and blocked the door.

"Where do you think you're going little guy? We are just going to have to wait until Rarity is finished," Rose said. "And besides, knowing her and her family, we'll be waiting a while." Peaches sat down and held out a fist towards the door.

"Yadoo rabee! Rabee!" Peaches shouted which caused Rose to laugh. She had absolutely no idea what Peaches said, but it just sounded adorable. Rose stood guard at the door for almost a half an hour, just watching Peaches explore the room when she heard a cough come from behind her.

"Pardon me Ms. Rose Wind, but I do believe it is time for you to give Peaches a bath," Rarity said and waited patiently as Rose moved out of her way and deposited the saddlebags onto the bed. "Hurry now, the time I go to sleep is nearly upon us." Rose nodded, acknowledging the fact and she picked up Peaches with her teeth before she left the room and made her way towards the bathroom.

The bathroom was just across from the guest bedroom and was slightly steamy still when Rose went inside with Peaches. She placed him on the floor and immediately turned on the hot and cold water. As the water filled up the tub, Rose dipped her hoof into the water multiple times to check to see if it was warm before she began to take off Peaches' clothes. At first, she had a hard time getting Peaches to cooperate since he didn't want to undress, but whether he liked it or not, Rose eventually was able to remove his shirt and pants. She closed her eyes for the next part and then quickly placed him in the tub. When she felt that the water was high enough, she turned it off and was soon left face to face with Peaches.

"You are quite the fighter little guy, but now it's time to get you all cleaned up," Rose said and she opened a nearby bottle of soap. Peaches stared at her with the biggest pouty face he could muster, but Rose didn't care as she lathered the soap into his hair as best as she could. She quickly went over the rest of his body before getting a small container and filling it with water from the tub. "Alright Peaches, close your eyes, or else this might sting your eyes a little." Peaches at first didn't bother to close his eyes, but Rose waited until he blinked and she was at last able to wash the soap away, much to Peaches' annoyance.

"Nohee, noh!" Peaches yelled and he splashed water from the tub onto Rose, making her coat slightly wet.

"Hey! If you want to splash, get ready to get splashed in return!" Rose exclaimed with glee and that is exactly what she did. Peaches didn't just sit there though, he fought back and soon the bathroom was soaked by the amount of water they had displaced. Rose splashed Peaches one last time with what little water was left before she dragged him out of the tub and wrapped him in a towel. "Now that was pretty fun, although now I'll need a towel for myself. Just look at my mane Peaches! It's plastered to my face!" She turned away from Peaches only for a moment to grab a towel, but when she turned around, she saw that he had disappeared and left the towel behind. A trail of water droplets led out of the bathroom. "Oh jeez, I can't keep my eyes off of you for one second before you go off and disappear! Peaches! Peaches come back!"

She quickly wrapped her towel around her head and rushed out of the bathroom, only to stop just seconds after. Peaches was floating in front of her, which confused her for a moment until Rarity appeared from the guest bedroom. Her horn was glowing a light blue, the same colour that surrounded Peaches. Rose sighed in relief, glad that she didn't have to deal with a floating magic baby.

"This little rascal tried to sneak up on me while I was working on something," Rarity said. "He tried to crawl away, but he wasn't fast enough. If you want to raise this thi- er, Peaches, then watching him is definitely going to be your number one priority Ms. Rose Wind." Rarity lowered Peaches to the ground and let her magic disperse, allowing Peaches to move freely again.

"Oh, thank you for catching him Rarity, he'll definitely not leave my sight ever again," Rose said, feeling somewhat embarrassed in front of Rarity. "Now... you said you were working on something while Peaches and I were in the bathroom. What is it if I may ask?"

"Oh? That? I was working on the costumes, yes, just the costumes for the school play," Rarity replied, although she spoke unusually fast. "Just something to keep myself occupied while you and Peaches were in the bathroom." Rose raised an eyebrow, but she didn't pursue the topic any further and decided to change it instead.

"So Rarity, earlier you said you knew a good place for us to hopefully begin learning about Peaches, correct?"

"Yes, I do know a good place to start, although it'll mostly be you learning about Peaches, since he is in your care after all," Rarity replied. Her horn then began to glow, followed by a hat appearing from the guest room shortly after and landing on her head. "I was hoping for a nice and relaxing evening, but I suppose that'll just have to wait. To be honest I can't believe I'm actually going out at this hour to help you."

"And to be honest as well, I'm surprised at how easily you're handling this Rarity, I would have expected any other colt or filly to just run away at the sight of Peaches," Rose said and she looked down at Peaches, only to look away when she saw that he was busy.

"Well, I almost did actually, but I... I am still unsure about him," Rarity replied softly as she walked past Peaches and Rose. "You might want to dress him before we leave Ms. Rose Wind. As much as I despise unclean clothing, it looks like he'll just have to continue to wear it for now." Rose nodded since Rarity was right. She didn't want Peaches to be seen, but he still had to look somewhat decent if they were discovered.

"I agree. Come on Peaches, let's quickly get you dressed so we can go to... where exactly Rarity? I don't think you said the location yet."

"Ah, yes, of course. We will be going to the library Ms. Rose Wind," Rarity said without looking back at Rose. "You must hurry though, otherwise I'm afraid we won't make it in time before it closes." Rose looked down at Peaches to find that he was looking up at her.

"Rarity is right Peaches. Come on, let's get you dressed so we can all go on a nice little walk together." Peaches clapped his hands together and stuck out his tongue, causing spittle to fly all over the floor. "That's the spirit! We won't take long Rarity, I promise."


Rarity and Rose quickly but quietly made their way through town towards the library, their hooves silently thumped against the soft dirt road beneath them. Peaches watched the buildings go by from the saddlebag he was in. Before they had left, Rose thought of a clever way to conceal him from view, and this is what she had in mind. It wasn't the most comfortable of places, but it worked and Peaches didn't seem to care at all. It was a cool evening, and if anypony were to see the two of them, they would have found them to be quite strange since they were both wearing their own sun hats at night. Rarity was convinced that her sun hat served two purposes: To protect her face and to be fashionably appealing to all who looked at her. Rose had to agree with her. She felt that Rarity would grow up to be quite the expert fashionista one day, since the one thing she noticed Rarity cared about a lot was indeed how she presented herself. It probably helped that Rarity also had a passion for making clothing.

It didn't take very long for them to reach the library since it was only a block away from Rose's home. Rose stared at it in wonder like she always did when she saw it, she simply couldn't help herself. Out of all the buildings in Ponyville, this was definitely the most unique one of all because the library itself was built inside of the tree. A tree! Nopony in town knew the exact origin of the tree or who planted it, but Rose secretly believed that it was planted by Celestia herself a long time ago. She hadn't been able to confirm it yet since getting an audience with Princess Celestia was nearly impossible these days. Celestia only ever appeared during the Summer Sun Celebration and some ponies have claimed to have seen her flying around at night, although those claims had yet to be proven. Rose promised herself she would find out how the tree came to be someday, but for now, that day would just have to wait.

"Well that's just great, the library is closed!" Rarity whispered, causing Rose to snap back to reality. "I guess we'll just have to wait until tomorrow then, right Ms. Rose Wind?" Rarity looked up at Rose, only to be surprised when she watched Rose continue to walk towards the library. "Ms. Rose Wind? What in Equestria are you doing? Didn't you hear me? The library is closed!" Rose paused only for a moment before turning her head to face Rarity.

"I have a plan Rarity, follow me," Rose whispered in return and she continued to walk towards one of the library's windows. Rarity hesitated, unsure what Rose was planning to do but decided to go with her anyway. After all, it was either get caught outside in the dark without an adult and get in a load of trouble, or go with the possibly insane adult heading towards the closed library. She quickly caught up to her and they both stood side by side outside the window that was closest to the ground. "Alright Rarity, do you trust me?"

"Do I... trust you? Um... yes... I guess?" Rarity replied, feeling rather awkward from being asked such a question. "Why? What are you up to Ms. Rose Wind?" Rose begin to push gently against the window, hoping that it was left unlocked. but unfortunately it wasn't. Rarity's eyes widened as she realized what Rose was trying to do. "Ms. Rose Wind... you aren't planning on breaking into the Golden Oaks Library are you? Because if you are, that is simply outrageous and I shall have no part in it! Take me back to your home please, I cannot believe why I even agreed to this in the first place. I-" Rarity stopped talking when Rose held up a hoof, silently telling her to be quiet since she was speaking quite loudly.

"Rarity, I need your help," Rose said quietly. She was slightly hurt by Rarity's words, but she knew the little filly was right. This was wrong and she knew it, but she simply couldn't wait any longer. She absolutely needed the proper information so she could properly take care of Peaches. She did not want Peaches to be taken away from her like the last two were. "If you can just unlock this window for me, I promise to buy every single dress you ever make for as long as you and I both live." Rarity took a step back, surprised at what she had just heard.

"Every single d- dress?" Rarity asked. Her voice quivered with excitement, but then she shook her head. "No... are you trying to bribe me Ms. Rose Wind?" Rose smiled sheepishly, which Rarity saw in the window's reflection. Rarity rolled her eyes as Rose turned around to face her.

"Rarity, please, this will be the only thing I'll ever ask of you," Rose said and she held Rarity's hoof with her own. "I don't want to lose Peaches... I want to take care of him like any mother would. I was not lying when I said I would buy every dress. Please Rarity, I'm begging you." Rarity saw that tears had begun to form in the corners of Rose's eyes when Peaches suddenly peeked out of the saddlebag and smiled at Rarity.

"Rabee!" Peaches exclaimed with glee before he disappeared back into the bag. Rarity couldn't help but smile and she sighed, knowing that she would probably regret what she was about to do.

"Ms. Rose Wind, I shall only be a moment," Rarity said as her horn began to glow. They heard a faint click come from the other side of the window as Rarity finished pushing the lock into its unlocked state. "There, that should do it. Let's move quickly before we-" She couldn't finish her sentence since Rose had let go of her hoof and gave her the tightest hug possible.

"Thank you so much Rarity, I won't ever forget this!" Rose exclaimed as quietly as she could. Rarity felt as if her eyes were about to pop out of their sockets as she tried to breathe.

"Ms. Rose Wind... I need... air..." Rarity managed to say and Rose let go of her without a second thought.

"Oh, sorry dear, I almost forgot that my hugs can be a bit of, um, a tight squeeze," Rose replied as she blushed in embarrassment.

"It's- ahem, it's quite alright Ms. Rose Wind, just remember your promise." Rose nodded and turned to face the now unlocked window.

"Don't worry Rarity, that is a promise that I'll never break."

Rose pushed against the window and watched as it silently creaked open, much to her delight and she climbed inside. Rarity followed shortly after and closed the window behind them. The library was dark and quiet, with only the sound of their breathing breaking the silence. Little did they know that as soon as they had laid their hooves on the floor, an owl that was perched above them immediately spread its wings and flew off through an open window much higher up. The library wasn't too big since all of the books could be found on the shelves on that floor. The second floor was where the librarian slept, actually, it's where she would have been sleeping currently if it weren't for the fact that it was being renovated. Rose let the musty scent of the books fill her nostrils and she sighed, still glad at the fact that they were able to get inside.

"Let's quickly get what you need and get out of here," Rarity said, which was followed by a large yawn shortly after. "I don't want to get caught in here by anypony." Rose nodded in agreement and she quickly began to search the shelves for any book that could be of use. Rarity didn't feel like searching, so instead she decided that she would be a lookout and warn Rose if anypony decided to make their way towards the library.

"Equestrian History... Daring Do... Rise of the Machines... what the heck? What kind of a book is that?" Rose muttered to herself as she continued to search the shelves. "The Secret Life of Celestia... Elements of Harmony... aha! Creatures of Equestria! Maybe I can find out just what you really are little guy." She looked into the saddlebag and gently lifted Peaches out of it. As soon as she set him down on the floor, he began to crawl around, eager to explore his new environment. "All I need now is a book that shows me how to take care of you... Rarity, could you come over here please?" Rarity looked out the window one last time, making sure that nopony was there before she made her way over to Rose.

"What do you need Ms. Rose Wind? Wait, did you call me over to tell me that we can leave now?" Rarity asked and Rose shook her head.

"Unfortunately, we can't leave yet Rarity, but I do need your assistance," Rose replied. "I've found one book that may be of use, but now I need one that specializes in the art of parenting. Two pairs of eyes are better than one pair after all." Rarity quickly scanned the bookshelf next to them and she pulled a book off of it. She flipped to a random page and Rose noticed that Rarity's eyes widened immediately after she had done so. "Um, Rarity? What did you find dear?"

"I believe I've found the book you are looking for Ms. Rose Wind," Rarity said quietly as she continued to look down at the page.

"Holy Celestia Rarity, I should have put you in charge of getting the books! May I see what you are looking at?" Rose asked. Rarity gulped and she slowly turned the book around.

"I found the feeding section of the book Ms. Rose Wind. As you can see here the foal is attached to-" Rarity didn't finish her sentence since Rose had immediately grabbed the book and put it in her saddlebag.

"Thank you very much for your help Rarity, we can go back to my home now," Rose said rather quickly, trying to take Rarity's mind off of what she just saw. "Now we just need to grab Peaches and-" There was a sudden knocking at the door, causing Rose to stop mid-sentence. Rarity gasped as both of their hearts began to race. The door then slowly creaked open as soon as it was unlocked, revealing an elderly mare holding a lantern in a night gown and glasses. An owl was perched on her back and hooted as soon as it saw Rarity and Rose. When the elderly mare, who was in fact the librarian, laid her eyes on both of them, it was clear that she wasn't happy. At all.

"What in Equestria do you think you two rascals are doing? The Golden Oaks Library is only open between the hours of nine and six!" the librarian yelled, only to cough immediately after. "Explain yourselves! And after that, I will be calling the authorities!" Rarity and Rose looked at each other and Rose sighed before she faced the librarian again. The light of the lantern caused Rose to squint her eyes and she was about to explain the situation when she saw Peaches crawling towards the librarian.

"Peaches!" Rose shouted and pointed at him with her hoof. The force of her yell startled the librarian and she looked down where Rose was pointing, only to find what was the most horrific thing she had ever seen. So horrible in fact that she fainted and slumped down against the doorway. The owl flapped its wings and hooted, trying to rouse its master but to no avail. Peaches laughed at the sight and clapped his hands together. "Good work Peaches! Come on Rarity, let's get out of here!" Rose galloped towards the doorway and picked up Peaches along the way. She quickly placed him in the saddlebag and turned around to find that Rarity had knelt next to the librarian.

"Will she be okay?" Rarity asked and she looked to Rose for confirmation. Rose quickly nodded in return. It was made clear by her face that she didn't want to remain there for very long. Seeing as she couldn't do anything for the librarian at the moment, Rarity had no choice but to get up. She joined Rose and the two of them nodded before they closed the door. Before they galloped away, Rarity's horn glowed as she shot bright blue sparks into the night sky, hoping that somepony would notice and come to investigate. Content with her work, she and Rose quickly galloped back to Rose's home, not stopping for anything. Peaches thought that this was the best ride ever and he raised his little arms out of the saddlebag and into the air as he bounced around. They at last made it back without any difficulty and both of them immediately collapsed into a pile on the floor. Peaches crawled out of the saddlebag and down the hall, leaving the two ponies to slowly recover.

"W- would you look at that Rarity, I don't know how we did it, b- but we did it," Rose said between breaths and she smiled. She knew that what they did was wrong, so very wrong, but it was all worth it. They were lucky that Peaches caused the librarian to faint, but now Rose hoped that the librarian wouldn't be able to identify them. "Do you want something to drink Rarity? Anything you want is yours, just say the word." Rarity rolled off of Rose and stood up, but she just shook her head.

"I'm quite alright for now Ms. Rose Wind. I just need to go to sleep is all," Rarity replied. She sounded awfully tired and even had trouble standing up straight. "My hooves are now dirty and can never be cleaned... ugh... I need to forget this night as soon as possible. Goodnight Ms. Rose Wind." Rarity took off her sun hat and Rose watched as she walked down the hall and disappeared into the guest bedroom. Rose heard the door close behind Rarity, only to hear it open again as Peaches floated out and was placed on the floor. The door finally closed for the last time that evening. Peaches looked slightly confused, but he quickly forgot what he was confused about and began to crawl towards Rose. Rose forced herself to stand up with what little strength she had left and she met Peaches halfway down the hall. Peaches lifted his arms towards Rose, and surprisingly, Rose figured what he wanted and she picked him up with her right foreleg.

"Thanks for the assistance tonight little guy. I just hope that the librarian will be alright, you did give her quite the scare after all," Rose said tiredly and chuckled at the memory. "But now, it's time to teach you how to live like us Peaches. I have the books we need, and as long as you don't disappear and continue to eat what I serve you, we'll get along just fine. What do you think?" Peaches looked at Rose for what felt like an eternity until he gently wrapped his arms around her neck and nuzzled his face against hers.

"Mommy," Peaches said softly which caused Rose to gasp.

"You... did you just say mommy?" Rose asked. Her heart skipped a few beats as she waited for a reply, only to finally hear a soft snoring since he had fallen asleep. Rose didn't have anything to say and just smiled. Peaches had called her mommy! She thought it would have taken longer for that to occur, especially since she thought he couldn't even speak her language. She carried the sleeping one year old over to the living room and gently laid him down on the couch. Rose quickly retrieved his blanket and placed it on top of him before leaning in to gently nuzzle his head. "Sleep well Peaches... I wonder what other secrets you are hiding from me?"

Rose walked back to the hall and picked up the two books she had gotten from the library from within her saddlebag. She brought them over to the kitchen where she planned to start on at least one of them. By the time she finished reading the first page in Creatures of Equestria, she had already fallen fast asleep at the table. As night slowly turned to day, Peaches' necklace glowed softly around his neck, but the light was gone as quickly as it had appeared.


Far away in the city of Canterlot, Princess Celestia stood on the balcony just outside of her bedroom. Like many nights before this one, she had been unable to fall asleep, but there was something else that prevented her from going to sleep this time. Celestia couldn't quite place her hoof on it though. As she slowly lowered the moon, she noticed that it was glowing unusually brighter than before. The same moon she had banished her sister to so many years ago was acting strange, which worried her. It hadn't been one thousand years yet since she banished Nightmare Moon, but it was clear that she was growing in strength. It would only be a matter of time before she would be able to break the bonds that the Elements of Harmony had placed on her.

"Sister... not a day goes by that I don't think of you... but I fear that I won't be able to stop you again when you do return," Celestia whispered quietly. "The Elements... they do not respond to me like they used to. It's as if I've lost my connection to them..." Tears began to form in her eyes and they sparkled in the moonlight as they slowly slid down her face. She blinked the tears away, for they would not benefit her in any way whatsoever. She couldn't break now, she couldn't afford to even if she wanted to. She had to be strong, strong enough to lead the ponies of Equestria and protect them. Celestia suddenly felt a disturbance, but it was gone as quickly as it had come. It didn't originate from the moon, but rather... a place she was rather attached to still. A place she thought was much better than what Canterlot had to offer. "Ponyville... I wonder what that could have been..." She quickly pushed it out of her mind and returned her focus to the moon. It would be a long time before she felt the disturbance again, but when that time did come, she would have wished she had taken action sooner.