• Published 20th Jan 2015
  • 715 Views, 41 Comments

Clouds - Zuzuers



Every 100 years in Equestria the Centennial Monsoon is made by weather Pegasi, but this storm is so huge it requires Alicorn magic to hold it together. It is the most important storm of the century. The weight of a century lies heavy on everypony.

  • ...
3
 41
 715

Chapter Seven: Wings of Hope

Eventually Sebastian had to run back to his barracks before the morning role call. Fluttershy and Derpy waved good bye and their mutual friend. Fluttershy’s face sunk. The poor little boy would be going off to suffer another day of torture.

“Fluttershy,” Derpy asked, “Why do you look so sad?”

“Well,” Fluttershy began, “I… He… Do you know what this place is?”

Derpy shook her head.

“Well, it’s… it’s… it’s a d..d…death camp.”

“What’s that?” Derpy asked. Her innocence was to be spared no longer.

“It’s where they put innocent people they don’t like before they kill them. They torture them, Derpy.” Tears were forming in Fluttershy’s eyes.

“Why would anybody do that?” Derpy almost screamed. Anger was bubbling up in the little grey pony. Innocent people never deserve to die.

“Because there are humans who are evil. Really, truly evil.” Fluttershy explained. The tears were flowing freely now.

“Even fillies and colts?” Derpy was fuming with anger. Real anger. Not the anger she felt when a stupid pegasus ran into her when she was delivering mail. Not the anger she felt at her daughter when she did something naughty. No. None of those compared to the anger she was feeling now. It was the anger that is caused in any being with a heart against injustice.

“Those evil humans deserve to die.” She snarled and stormed off into the woods.

“Derpy,” Fluttershy called through thick tears, “go to the clouds!”

Derpy pretended not to hear and she left Fluttershy crying alone.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Later that day Fluttershy made her way from the ground and to the clouds. There was still no sign of Derpy anywhere. Fluttershy contemplated whether she should go down and find her, but she decided against it. Fluttershy did not ever what to come close to the flying bullets again.

After some time Derpy made it up to the cloud where Fluttershy was at.

“Hey, Fluttershy.” She mumbled as she crashed down next to her, “Sorry for being so mad, but… but… it made me really mad. It’s not fair.”

“It’s okay, Derpy. I don't know why anyone would ever do something like that, either. It’s not right.” Fluttershy replied.

“Maybe we could free them.” Derpy suggested. Fluttershy’s eyes widened. She hadn't thought of that.

“How?” Fluttershy asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe we could go all Rainbow Dash on those evil humans’ hind ends.” Derpy replied.

Fluttershy laughed. Never in her life had she heard something so ridiculous and sensible at the same time. “Maybe.” She laughed.

“No,” Said Derpy, who was slightly offended that her friend was laughing at her, “I’m sirius.”

“I know. That’s why I am laughing.”

“That’s rude.” Derpy was now glaring intensely at Fluttershy. She caught Derpy’s glare and stopped laughing immediately.

“Sorry.” She muttered, realizing her mistake. Derpy sniffed in disapproval.

“Since you obviously think my idea is stupid, what do you suggest we do, ‘cause I am not going to sit around here and do nothing while people get tortured.”

Fluttershy paused for a moment, deep in thought.

“We could sing.” She finally said. It was now Derpy’s turn to laugh.

“That’s the most ridiculous thing I ever heard!” Derpy guffawed.

“Yeah, it’s not fighting, but it’s giving them hope.” Fluttershy said. Derpy shut up. Hope is a very special thing. It’s a wild thing with wings. It sings in the heart and makes it beat. It tells you, you can go on even when your brain says no. It tells you nothing is impossible, even when it is. Hope says you are worth something, even when the world says you are not. Hope is a very good thing to give.

“Yeah, but hope only goes so far?" Derpy objected.

"I know."

"We need to fight." Derpy demanded.

"With what? Our hooves? You saw what those evil men have. Those exploding sticks kill the humans in 1 bullet. We would be toast." Fluttershy argued.

"But... But..."

"But, nothing. We need an army. The people who would be our army have no hope. Trust me, I work with beaten and abused animals. They can't do anything unless you heal them first. We.. It.. asking them to fight would be like asking a bird to fly with broken wings. These people are broken. They need healing, not another person yelling at them telling them to fight." Fluttershy couldn't believe what had come out of her mouth. The anger and pain that Sebastian had suffered for the past nine months had been passed to her.

"So we are supposed to get an army by singing to them?"

"No we give them hope by singing to them. We heal them. We have to tell them they are worth something. When they are healed then we can ask them to fight. That day will come soon, just not now."

“Okay, then tonight?” Derpy asked.

“Tonight. Tonight, we give Sebastian and all the other humans hope.” Fluttershy answered.

***

That night Derpy and Fluttershy dashed down from the clouds to the barracks. Sebastian was waiting for them outside.

“We’re coming in!” Derpy announced .

“Shhhhhhhhh…” Sebastian and Fluttershy scolded.

“You are not coming in.” Sebastian said.

“Why not?” Derpy asked. The passionate fire was back in her voice.

“Shhhhhhhh…..” Sebastian and Fluttershy scolded, again.

“Humans may not like you.”

“We are colorful balls of soft fur and adorableness. Humans will be fine.” Derpy stated as she tried to nudge Sebastian aside.

“No.” He grunted and shoved Derpy back.

“Sebastian, we came to sing to you.” Fluttershy whispered.

“What?” Sebastian asked. He remembered when his mother used to sing to him. She would sing to him on the nights he had nightmares. It had been three years since he heard her sing, and every one of those nights he had a million nightmares. He would never get the chance to hear his mother sing again. He would never get the chance to see his mother again.

“Derpy and I want to sing to you.” Fluttershy said. This time with more confidence.

“Fine,” Sebastian gave in, “but make it quick.” Secretly he wanted to hear these ponies sing, and he knew that everyone in his barracks could use a good song in their heads. Maybe it would replace the screams of pain and sights of horror from the day and drown out the endless moans in the night.

When Sebastian walked in everyone was genuinely shocked to see two colorful balls of furry adorableness walked in with him. Shocked, but willing to accept it as real. These kids were so hopeless that they were willing to take in any form of sunshine that they could.

“We are here to sing!” Derpy announced loudly. There was a moment of silence. No one knew what to think of the two pegasi. Well, no one, until the youngest in the group spoke up.

“What in the name of heavens are you?” The five year old boy asked.

“We are pegasi, from Equestria, and we know you are in desperate need of hope.” Derpy announced once more, “Fluttershy is going to sing for you.”

“I am.” She gulped.

“Yes, yes, you are.”

“Well, um…” Fluttershy muttered, “Everyone go to….. Uh…. where should we go, Sebastian?”

Sebastian lead Fluttershy to his bunk. All of the children followed. As many as could fit hopped up to his bunk. The ones that didn't sat on the floor in eager anticipation. Fluttershy was soon surrounded by children

“Hi, I am Fluttershy,” She said, “uh…. and my friend is Derpy.” Derpy nodded. She had sat herself on the floor by the other children.

“Do you want to hear the song I sing to my animals when they are scared or sad?” Fluttershy asked Sebastian. He nodded. There were nine other little boys cuddled at his bunk. Many were leaning on her, or curled up by her belly. They were all so horribly thin and tiny and desperate. Their wide eyes were focused on the pink and yellow pony. Fluttershy curled her tail around as many as she could and sang.

Sunshine, sunshine

life is unkind

just know you are a sunshine

know you are my sunshine

Shine bright, Sunshine

life is mean

just know you’re my sunshine

please shine for me

By the end of her song, many of the kids were crying. Not the tears of sadness that they so often cried, but tears of joy. They had not heard such soft words in such a long time. Even Sebastian was shedding tears. Fluttershy heard the harsh call of the guards.

"I have to go." She announced.

“Don’t leave, Fluttershy.” One of the children called. Fluttershy had no choice. If she stayed she would get killed, or worse, the kids would be punished even more. Fluttershy flapped her wings, and flew out of the cabin. She was followed by Derpy. They dashed up to the clouds, and spent the night thinking about what they had just done. Hope was a very powerful thing to give, but they had no idea how powerful it really was.

***

That very next evening Fluttershy and Derpy snuck into the open door. As they surveyed the cabin they realized that there were more people there. Not just kids either. Adults. Mainly mothers to toddlers, but still grown humans. They looked just as hopeless as their children. Word had gotten around.

"Hi, I'm Fluttershy," Fluttershy began, but she never got to finish.

"And I'm Derpy," Announced Derpy. Sebastian was sitting on his bunk. He smiled at the two ponies. They walked to him and sat. The crowd of humans gathered around. They looked up at the two ponies with wide, hungry eyes.

"Ummm," Fluttershy muttered, trying to think of what she could sing to all these people. Oh, how she wished Rarity was here. She had the most wonderful voice. She could've helped. "Here goes nothing,

Yes, I know you spend your days

Wondering when you’ll be free

Screaming from all of the pain

Bleeding from all of your scars

Yes, I know it is so hard

trying to get through just one day

I have been where you are

Don’t ever loose the sun

Yes, I know you spend you days

locked in an endless haze

you just have to stay strong

Don’t you ever lose the sun

Yes, it may be covered in clouds

or hidden by a storm

just know they don't last

please don't ever loose the sun"

Fluttershy finished her song just as the sobs burst loose. One of the adults hid her face in her hands, crying profusely. A man who was sitting in the back stepped over the host of weeping children and adults to the bed where Sebastian was sitting. He grabbed Fluttershy and gave her an enormous hug.

"Thank you," He said, voice thick with emotion, "You have the voice of an angel."

Fluttershy hugged the man back. She herself was trying to keep back from tears.

"Thank you for listening." She managed to muster. The man set her down.

"All people from Barrack 9, we have to go." He announced softly.

"Same with all the people of Barrack 8."

"And 6."

Nearly all of the people got up and slipped out of the door an quietly as they could. When they left, Sebastian grabbed Derpy and Fluttershy and pulled them closer to him.

"Tommorrow, Okay." He said.

"Yup." The two ponies replied. There was a harsh call outside.

"I think the guards are coming." Said Sebastian. The two ponies ran to the door. They were serenaded with the calls of boys of whatever Barrack they were in.

"Bye!"

"Auf wiedersehen."

"Totdat we elkaar weer ontmoeten."

"Kochamy cię."

"Don't go."

Fluttershy and Derpy smiled at each other and the dashed up to the clouds under the cover of darkness. It felt good to give something to the people of Sobibor.

***

The next evening they did the same thing, the evening after that, and the one after that, and for a whole week they sang. Hope spread it’s little wings for the first time among the people of Sobibor. It fluttered around and united them. The hope that they had been deprived of for so long, grew.