• Published 17th Jan 2015
  • 1,146 Views, 8 Comments

Wings of insanity - Rarity Belle



When faced with the confinement of the asylum, Rarity only has one shot to break out once and for all. One shot to regain her freedom once more and live her life as she wants. Though the chance is there that she gets more then she bargained for.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,146

Chapter 3

The following morning had Rarity awoken early by something that even she didn’t knew. Perhaps it was her mind that thought it was the time to wake up again? Or she was woken up by a sudden fall in her dreams. Either way, it didn’t truly matter as she noticed how the gray clouds had traveled over to the asylum. That fact alone caused a devious grin to be formed upon her muzzle. It meant to her that the storm was heading their way.

Which naturally meant that the possible lightning it carried, also came their way. It would have been that very lightning that she use to her own advantage for a change. In those very few and precious months that she had been rotting away in the asylum, she managed to do her homework as well. The unicorn may have caused a spell to be spoken from the book she found so long ago, but there was another spell that could have been used by her.

One that allowed her a form of freedom unlike anything else. As much as the crystalline arms or dress were a marvel to look at, they had both one massive disadvantage. The very fact that she never could have made a quick getaway. The arms allowed her to do it though, but she couldn’t truly hide them other than the dress of course.

But the dress itself was heavy and ponies would have noticed her in an instant. The unicorn managed to walk with the weight of the dress, much to everypony’s surprise. A fact that was deemed impossible at first by herself. Though the more she walked around with the crystals all over her body, the more she became used to it. Yet in the eyes of the doctors and guards she managed to maintain that look in her eyes. That look of helplessness and vulnerability.

To them she appeared as if she still wasn’t used to the weight of the dress. That very knowledge would have been used against them on probably numerous times.

---

The first drops of rain ticked against her window and the mare knew what time it was. The storm had erupted right above Canterlot and she would set her plan in motion. Her sharp mind had calculated almost every single fact that there was. Rarity even had come up with a lie to be allowed outside.

Everything just seemed to have been working out the way she had planned it. For the first time in a long, long time did fate smile down upon her rather than frown. For the time in a long time, she could smell her freedom again. Yet that questioned many other things at the same time. Many things that she didn’t wanted to think about. Many things she couldn’t even imagine.

If she indeed would have ever broken out of the asylum, where would she go? What would she do? And the most important question of all, would she return to her family? Though the answer upon the last question was one that was pretty easily answered.

She wasn’t the daughter that they knew anymore. She had turned into a monster and she was well aware of that fact. She even adored it, actually. The unicorn had become something that she never dreamed possible and was an honor rather not taken. That alone made the mare even more dangerous. She would have gone to nearly any length to get what she desired.

No, the best thing that she could do was to disown herself from her family. Just to spare them from anything that could be happening to them. Perhaps it was the most honorable thing that she could have done, perhaps it was just as crazy as she happened to be.

Yet the eyes of the mare never sprung full with tears. Months in the asylum had made her stronger than ever. The unicorn wouldn’t have been able to shed a tear in any matter. For tears were a weakness that she couldn’t allow herself. The unicorn had to remain this figure of silence and pure intimidation.

If the other inmates only got as much a sight of a dried up tear stain, they would have all known that she was broken to the core already. Whatever would be happening them was a future grim. And one where Rarity didn’t had the desires of finding out anytime soon. That was why she became so mentally strong. It was all because she had to survive with her will.

“Finally some good luck is moving in this way. Now let’s just hope that it carries the lightning as well,” she whispered up to herself. One of her forelegs then moved itself over to the horn and gave a gentle stroke over it. At first it was smooth, until she reached the thing. In an instant did the expression on her face turn to one of thunder itself.

A frown followed suit before the unicorn growled like the devil himself. A ring had been placed around her horn. One that prevented her from using any kind of magic. That was the very reason why she couldn’t morph the dress back into the arms. If that would have been possible, she had made her escape long ago already. Everything within those crystals was of course powered by magic. Which happened to be the one thing she lacked.

Though memory had served her well enough. There were stories of ponies who had managed to absorb the lightning bolts and use it as some form of magic as well. The mare hadn’t tapped in her own reservoirs for months so they were filled to the brim with the stuff. Her idea? That one was simplicity itself.

Her mind also remembered the book she read through. The book that caused her arms to be created in the first place. That book was read through with great attention. The memories of numerous pages came through to her as some were quickly dispatched again. The ponies of old were mad, that much was certain. But they were smart at the same time.

It would have been that smartness that possibly would have given Rarity her escape. There was one thing that she could do with both her crystalline dress and the thunder that would hopefully be roaring outside. One plan that could only have been thought up by a crazed pony.

Her plan was to be struck by lightning, cause a magical overload which would destroy the ring. Once she had access to her magic again, the dress would be turned into a set of wings. The crystalline shards combined with a magical field, would have created enough lift for her to soar like a pegasus. Only after that would she just make her great escape. Leaving everypony to bite the dust.

Anything after that though, would have been a guess to be made. Yet the unicorn knew that it would work. She knew that her plan of insanity would be working. Even though she would be dealing with a bolt of lightning that was most likely around one point twenty-one gigawatt in power. She had one chance to make it work, or Rarity would die trying.

Either way, it would have set her free and allowed her to do what she wanted. If she came to die from the overload, she would have left the world. If she would survive, she would have left the asylum. Either one of them was fine for the unicorn.

A unicorn who grinned like a madmare. She sat down in the chair for the moment. She simply waited. Waited her time out for the time to be there. She was waiting for that first strike of thunder to come. Patience was required, but she still had plenty of it.