• Published 17th Jan 2015
  • 1,143 Views, 8 Comments

Wings of insanity - Rarity Belle



When faced with the confinement of the asylum, Rarity only has one shot to break out once and for all. One shot to regain her freedom once more and live her life as she wants. Though the chance is there that she gets more then she bargained for.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,143

Chapter 4

It was that very same morning that Twilight had collected herself once more by the window of her office. The candle lights were the only lights present and she just stared out of the glass. Her mind was lost within the thoughts that she had swirling through her. The unicorn could have only prayed on the fact that the day would bring something yet. Whether it be good or bad, that didn’t matter.

Though there was a feeling deep down within her guts that spoke of a tragedy which was about to happen. She couldn’t truly have placed it in her mind, but every fiber of her body sensed that something was about to go horribly wrong. The mare released a deep exhale through her mouth as her eyes closed, The damp of her mouth touched the glass and it became vague as a direct result. The day was colder than expected or her office was freezing. Either way, the unicorn thought about a thousand things at the same time.

Only to make it all end by a single tear that rolled down her cheek. The mare wanted to speak her words so much. Yet she too had an image to uphold. Months had caused her mind to take on a different path than she would have liked. No longer was she that merry and cheery mare that stood ready for everything. In just a couple months, she had become just a shell of her former being.

Twilight was naturally worried about her friends, whom all still lived in Ponyville. None of them had the stomach to make up to Canterlot and visit her in the new place that she had to work. Yet the orders were given off by the princesses themselves. There was no other way around the facts as they were. The amethyst leg stomped over the floor as the mare walked away from the window. Without a single word spoken did she just went to the sofa in the room.

She would have dropped down upon it with a defeated mind. The feelings in her guts could have been right, but they were nothing compared to the pain she felt in her heart. She had lost her leg and gained something that was just not hers. The crystalline prostatic was often a hinder to her than a help. But she couldn’t live without it either.

The head dropped itself on the pillow. Her fur coated foreleg travelled over the back of it. The scars of Rarity’s original take on her life were still there, proudly present. Every time she went over it, the horror could be felt. The scars would remain there for the eternity to come and she didn’t knew how to deal with it. All that she could have done was to cover it up by her hair. To make it seem as if nothing was hidden beneath them.

Though who would she have been kidding if she did so? Who would have actually fallen for such a thing in the first place? Twilight didn’t know the answers to the questions. She only released an even deeper sigh through her nostrils. Then there was a moan that followed her up and the eyes were opened calmly once again.

Just for a fraction of a second could that maddened glare be caught within them. The glare that everypony always was afraid of to see. That one glare that could have even deemed her as insane. The unicorn hoisted herself back up from the sofa and she glanced over to a painting. A painting that held the image of her with the amethyst leg and her four other friends.

The only pony that was missing from the image was Rarity. She was gone for obvious reasons. Twilight hadn’t gotten over the fact that one of her own friends tried to take her very life. Even though she still was there, alive and kicking, it just never felt to her anymore that Rarity was considered a friend of hers. Naturally did she had all the right in the world to say such a thing.

---

The mare stood back up on her hooves. She walked over to that very painting and kept looking at it with a great difficulty. It almost seemed as if she was trying to fight of the demons that were haunting her. That she would try her best to overcome the very things that she always had been afraid of. To conquer the things that she wanted to. The unicorn allowed a gentle growl to be released from her mouth as a direct response.

She appeared to have more animal than pony in the moment. Her pacing lowered down to a near crawl. The horn on top of her head had coated itself within the raspberry light while she cast the spell in silence. That same aura also gathered itself around the painting of her friends before she simply moved it off to the sides.

Behind it was most likely the most clichéd hiding place of all. For behind the painting was a safe that could be of use to her. The lock was opened via a small magical charge and the door unlocked itself from the hinges.

Then she would have just opened it with her amethyst leg and glanced at the content inside of it. There it laid. There it just laid, almost like it was the most normal thing in the entire world. The unicorn’s hooves began to tremble just so slightly. She had seen the sight of it a thousand times already but every time it still invoked fear to her.

For within the safe it laid. The very book that Rarity had recovered during her mission beneath the city of Canterlot. Twilight never got to know much about the operation. Other than the fact that that was the time where everything went wrong for her ex-friend. The book was taken out of the prison just by her amethyst hoof and she skipped back to her chair.

The safe was locked again with her magic. The mare placed the book upon her desk. Only after she had positioned herself comfortable within the fabric of the chair was it opened. One more was it only done by her hooves and the mare trembled slightly as she glanced over the first page.

Ever since she had acquired the book, she hadn’t been able to get further than the first page. Of course did she had seen further into it at one point or the other. But only because Rarity had brought it over to her tree library. At that point in time was she alone and utterly terrified of the things that could have happened to her.

She had no idea whether or not she too would connect the tomes to old songs of her own past. That mistake was the entire reason that began Rarity’s very own downfall. Yet the mulberry unicorn had to know what secrets it bore. She had to know what else was written inside of it.

Though for some reason she just didn’t seemed to have been able to do it. The unicorn wasn’t able to go further than the first page. Her mind got flooded with all kinds of horrible thoughts. Thoughts that made her relive the past and live in futures indescribable. The mare shook her head quickly in order to get the thoughts out of her head.

The last thing she needed was to be captivated by something of her own past. With a single motion was the book closed again and she stood up from the chair. Her body quickly turned around with a deep growl as she glanced outside of the window again.

---

Instead of looking up and to the horizon as she normally would have done, the eyes of Twilight did turn down and looked at the courtyard of the asylum. There was the feeling deep within her guts that something terrible was about to happen. A feeling that never left her.

She still couldn’t explain the feeling at all, but she told herself always that it was caused by the book. That she had somehow managed to sense the aura of the very pages and that it only spoke ill about the future. How much of that theory happened to have been the truth was a fact Twilight didn’t wanted to find out.

Her eyes continued to glance down the entire courtyard, but she never saw a single soul. The down pouring rain was the prime suspect for the matter and the unicorn nodded to herself. Yet just after she had given the nod was there a flash of lightning that caught her eyes.

The eyes quickly looked up and into the skies before they began to rumble. The storm had arrived and was going to unleash hell at Canterlot. Perhaps that was the feeling of why Twilight felt uncomfortable? It was a question she desired her answers upon more than anything else in the moment.