• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 1,354 Views, 19 Comments

The Grounded Musician - SilasSilversti



Fluttershy and Applejack meet an unlikely victim of circumstance

  • ...
2
 19
 1,354

Coffee


Chapter 6







Silas was soarin' through the sky's of Equestria, he was up in the air once more. He was flying high above Fillydelphia and on his way to Cloudsdale. The cool wind blew his hair back and chilled his face, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. A cyan pony with a rainbow mane swooped down and flew beside him. Silas knew he recognized her from somewhere, he remembered her from when he was a filly. Neither of them said anything, they just flew through the air together.


Silas opened his eyes real slow, then he realized he was dreaming once more. He was in Twilight's Library laying on her spare bed. Then he turned his head, Twilight was still asleep, but Spikes bed was empty. Silas looked at the clock, it read 9:45am. "That was the best I've slept in weeks." He said to himself as he sat up. Sun was shining clearly through the windows, just as it did when he was in the hospital. This new setting made him feel at peace, even if he couldn't fly.


The orange Pegasus got out of bed quietly, he was sure not to wake Twilight. Slowly he made his way downstairs, a thought came to his head. "Where's my guitar?" He got a little nervous, maybe he left it at Sugarcube corner, or Sweet Apple Acres, where was it? Silas then noticed Spike, who was tidying up and dusting the bookshelves. "Mornin' Spike." Silas said. The baby dragon jumped, a few books tumbled off the shelves as he fell of the ladder. "Oh man, I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He said as he helped Spike up. The dragon looked up at him, "Ah man it's okay. Good morning to you too." Both up them started picking up the books.


"So you're Twilight's assistant eh?" Silas asked as he put the last book back. Spike laughed, "Heh heh yeah, her number one assistant. I've been ever since she was a filly in Canterlot." Silas helped Spike dust the other bookshelves, they were surprised that Twilight was still asleep. "This is one of the latest times Twilight has slept." Spike concluded. "I thought for sure I would of woke her up with that fall." The two laughed. Then they heard hoofsteps coming down the stairs and a slight yawn. "Good morning you two!" Twilight said cheerfully.


Twilight brushed her hair, "So how did you both sleep last night?" Spike spoke first, "Pretty good I guess, I woke up on the floor though." Twilight giggled, "How about you Silas?" Silas looked over and spoke, "The best I've slept in weeks." Then he smiled, "I almost forgot, do either of you know where I put my guitar?" He asked. Twilight pondered for a bit, Spike had no idea. "Hmm, I remember you having it when we were at the party last night. You must have left it there."


There was a sudden knock on the door, Silas opened it. There stood Pinkie, as cheerful as always, wearing his guitar on her back. "Hiya Silas! You left your guitar thingermajigger at the party last night!" Silas perked up with a large grin on his face. "Oh thank you so much Pinkie! I was wondering what I did with it." He said as Pinkie handed the case over. "Wanna come over? We could bake cupcakes!" She said with a lot of enthusiasm. Silas looked over at the clock, "Sorry Pinkie, I have to meet Octavia at the Cafe in..."The clock read 10:50."....IN 10 MINUTES! I'm sorry, I gotta go!" He said, then he ran past Pinkie and made his way to the Cafe. "Okie doki loki!" Pinkie yelled back, then she hopped away.


Silas rushed through town, he didn't want to be late. His hair was blown back a little and unkempt but it looked alright, it was long so it didn't really matter. It was another glorious day outside, "What a great day for coffee." Silas thought to himself as he neared the cafe. He had never been there before, but coffee is coffee, no one can screw it up that bad. There were many tables outside of the small building, it looked rather nice, and many ponies were already there. Silas looked around, he saw a table with one seat open, Octavia was sitting in the other waiting patiently. He mustered up his courage and trotted on over to her table.


Octavia's face perked up as she noticed the long haired Pegasus approaching her table. "May I sit down?" He asked in a goofy but polite tone. Octavia giggled, "Oh yes of course, please do." Silas laughed, "Why thank you madam." She giggled once more, Silas was hoping to make a good impression. The party was rather loud and weird, Silas didn't get to show who he really was when they first met. So he thought this was a good time to show it.


"Good morning Octavia." He said in a cheery voice, "I'm sorry for being late, Pinkie brought me my guitar back, I left it at the party last night." She smiled at him, "That's quite alright, better late then never, I must hear you play sometime." Silas looked embarrassed, "If you're sure, heh heh, I'd also like to hear you play, I've never observed musicians of your quality before. I'm used to watching scrubs and lower class people play Rock N' Roll." The mare looked back at him puzzled, "I'm not very upper class to be honest, but I must keep up my appearance, I suppose it can show what kind of pony you are." Silas looked at himself for a second, then frowned.


A waiter approached their table, "What could I get you two on this fine morning?" He was younger stallion, a pony has to make money one way or another. Octavia spoke first, "A cup of tea, cream and sugar." The waiter nodded, "And for you?" Silas looked up, "Ehh, coffee for me....black, please." The waiter nodded once more, "I'll be back in a little bit." He trotted away, leaving the two musicians to carry on where they left off.


Silas tried to steer the conversation to something other than music. "So, you've heard most of my life story, how did somepony like you end up in Ponyville?" Octavia thought for a minute, "Well I was born and raised in Canterlot, I get most of my class from my family, the general population of Canterlot is upper class. I've played cello in a small ensemble at The Grand Galloping Gala and many other occasions. My father bought me a cello when a was a little filly, I always wanted to learn an instrument, my parents wanted me to learn a more classy one." Silas nodded, "Why did you move to Ponyville?"


Octavia hesitated for a second, "I wanted to try something new, living in a small town. Canterlot was beautiful, but you could never have much fun there, you always had to have class or you were judged by other ponies often. Then I met Vinyl, we went to the same school of music. Even thought we specialized in opposite genres, for two mares that were completely different we got along just fine. Soon she introduced me to other great musicians as we got older. Baritone was in my class ensemble and I found out that him and Vinyl lived here in Ponyville. After I graduated I met Noteworthy and have been living as Vinyl's roommate ever since."


The waiter came back with their orders, "Here you are, enjoy." Silas gave a nod to the stallion, "Thanks," and he trotted away. Silas turned to Octavia, "That is so cool, you've had lots of great experience then. I did a lot after I moved away from home, but to be honest, the only experience I have is from Barn Bands and playing at Bars and cheap restaurants." Octavia sipped her tea, "It is still experience, I've never heard any bands like that before, where I come from there's only symphony's and a few small ensembles." Silas grinned, "I guess we'll learn a thing or two from each other then." Then he sipped his coffee, nice and strong just the way he liked it.


Silas decided to turn his charm button on, "You look simply beautiful this morning, I wish I could say the same about myself, heh heh." Octavia blushed a little, "Oh, why thank you Silas. I think you look just fine, that's why I like you, you're unique." Silas smiled wide, no one has ever said that to him before. They both finished their drinks, the waiter came by once more with the check. Silas payed up, Octavia looked surprised. Silas smirked, "Well I wasn't that poor, I still had some money left over from my last gig." She smiled at him "Thank you, would you like to come by my house for a little bit? Silas' face turned a light red, "I'd love to." He replied.