• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 4,664 Views, 96 Comments

Courage the Cowardly Dog In: Mare-anormal Activity - lunabrony



When Fluttershy stumbles across a small pink pup, she takes him home. Unfortunately, this only invites strange and spooky things to begin happening in Ponyville...

  • ...
3
 96
 4,664

3 - Phantoms and Nightmares

Author's Note:

WARNING

This is the chapter where the Teen rating comes into play, and things start to get seriously spoopy. If things get 2spoopy4u, please watch the attached video, and then come back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QScxSMWOT-c

Thank you.

The eyes that rose up out of the mist had no pupils, no sign of life behind them. They were solid silver as if their owner suffered from severe cataracts, attached to a vaguely pony shape, but there was little method of identification behind the misty shape. Fluttershy ran from the figure for several seconds, the mist thick around her legs, skidding to a halt about twenty feet later. She saw no sign of the creature which had startled her, alone in the fog again with Courage.

Still looking behind her, Courage was the one looking forward, and thus the first one to see the last rays of light from the sun disappear below the horizon. As darkness replaced light and the magically infused candle blazed to life around Ponyville in place of streetlights, the purple fog almost seemed to crackle with electricity and life.

The fog in front of Fluttershy began to roll upwards, forming into the shape of a misty pony. Courage's eyes widened, and then the fogpony opened its own eyes. Solid silver, and certainly ominous.

"Ooooooooooooooooo!" Courage howled, and began tugging desperately at Fluttershy's mane. "Aba! Ababababa! Ababababa!" He whined, doing everything in his power to get her attention. Fluttershy finally turned her attention from behind her and looked in front, ears going down almost instantly.

"Um, hello..." She whispered. "Nice pony... nice pony... nice..." She had a sinking feeling in her chest, but wouldn't forgive herself if she hadn't at least given it a shot.

The fogpony roared a terrible screech at her and started running at her, which prompted Fluttershy to book it in the opposite direction, with Courage whimpering on her back. "Not nice! Not nice! Not nice!" She kept repeating, running down the path leading away from Sweet Apple Acres and towards town. On either side of the path, more fog ponies were rising up out of the mist. They were equally vague though differently shaped, though all with the same, solid, silvery cataract eyes.

"Run, run, run!" Courage demanded, while the poor Pegasus was already going as quickly as she could, the saddlebags bouncing up and down on her side. A select few fog ponies had become a few dozen, all of them screeching and chasing after her. Fluttershy raced into town while being pursued, skidding around a corner and immediately coming to a halt as she saw what was waiting for her.

Hundreds of fog ponies, some still rising up out of the darkness, crowded around the marketplace. Most of them hadn't noticed her yet, but the few other dozen were still coming for her. Courage pulled at her mane, pointing at the nearest building he could find. "In there, in there, in there!" He babbled. Fluttershy didn't appear to understand the verbal words, but understood the general importance of getting the hell out of here.

She raced into the building, closing and locking the door. She realized only after that she was inside that she was inside Carousel Boutique. Panting from all the running she'd been doing, she stood with her lower half obscured by the fog that had seeped into everything, trying to catch her breath. It seemed safe in here at least, the door was locked and the Boutique was empty. At least... it had been empty. Another one of the fogponies was rising up from the central area of the Boutique, and Fluttershy recognized the outline and perfectly coiffed mane almost instantly.

"Rarity?" She asked quietly, almost in a squeak.

Rarity wasn't in the mood for talking, only giving off one of those angry, monstrous screams. Rarity rushed forward towards Fluttershy, who screamed herself and yanked on the front door. It wouldn't open. She fumbled with the lock, but Rarity was already on her, grabbing at the pegasi's back legs with her smoking fog-legs and yanking her backwards, off her feet. Courage howled with fear and surprise, leaping off of Fluttershy's back and unlocking the door from its various latches, while Fluttershy was dragged backwards towards one of the back rooms.

Fluttershy whined and struggled against being dragged by the fogpony's enhanced strength, whimpering an apology. "I'm sorry..." She squeaked, and lashed out with her back legs, kicking Rarity in the face. The fogpony screeched and staggered backwards, reeling. She got up to attack again, but the front door swung open and smashed against the wall, a large and curly shape flickering against the candle lit darkness.

"Move!" It demanded, and Fluttershy moved, frightened and confused.

There was a WHUMP sort of sound like a muffled gunshot, and Rarity suddenly tumbled over backwards, glued and bound to the floor by what appeared to be twisting, binding streamers. Fluttershy slowly looked up, and Pinkie Pie stepped forward into the Boutique, dressed in a black jumpsuit and holding a smoking gun-like contraption that she'd shot the streamer webbing out of. Pinkie stepped over Rarity, and looked down at her with determination.

"Party's over," she deadpanned.

"What... how..." Fluttershy started, but Pinkie cut her off.

"Not now, later. We gotta get off the streets until sunrise... this is their time." She said gravely. "Come on." Pinkie left to go back outside, and Fluttershy looked at Courage. Neither of them liked this, but it wouldn't do to be trapped in a building. Courage climbed back onto Fluttershy, and the pegasus followed Pinkie back out into the darkness, the sounds of angry fogponies screeching in the distance.

Pinkie led her out into the darkness, and the trio stuck primarily to the alleys, while the fogponies roamed the streets. Pinkie kept unusually quiet, peeking around each corner she came to in order to ensure a clear pathway. Pinkie led her back to Sugarcube Corner, the two making their way inside. The doors quietly clanged shut behind them, sealing them off from the majority of the dangers outside...

...temporarily.