• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 3,142 Views, 55 Comments

Legio VII: Invictus - Silbern



Centurion Lucius Vor is in a fight for his life along with Princess Celestia as dark forces muster.

  • ...
13
 55
 3,142

Scythica

Lucius fell through a sea of silk black canvas as his hands waved and legs kicked for all their might to hit any sort of surface. For all his exertion however, he was rewarded with nothing but the same feeling of emptiness. What feeling Lucius couldn't place in his heart was the content satisfaction of simply flying. If at the bottom of this dark pit was but a horrible death when gravity caused an object like Lucius to careen towards it, than there was nothing he could do but enjoy the fall.

With a relaxed breath and an unfamiliar smile crossing his face, he simply stretched out his arms like a bird and let his legs dangle naturally. It was a sort of peaceful, if not morbid, feeling as he truly let go of his worries, his cares and his affections. It was the most purest from a human could have; to simply be.

It all came to a sudden end as his fall ended in a sudden surge of cold water. Eyes shot open and his arms worked quickly to orient himself to his surroundings. Much like the air he had himself falling through, the water was simply dark as if the deepest parts of the Sea. Panicking, Lucius waved his arms through the liquid as the oxygen in his lungs was starting to become completely consumed.

A grasp at his arm and a strong pull forced him from his watery grave as the Centurion now felt the sand in between his fingers and the warm Sun's light on his back. The mere Mortal coughed whatever liquid that was caught in his system before he gazed up to a site he almost cried at. Before him was his family's Villa along with the stretching Vineyard that accompanied it!

A renewed essence of energy and strength in the Soldier's legs found himself in a sprint. As he came to the front door he practically broke it down to see a large open hallway that had greeted him many times as a young lad. "Mother!" He cried out hoping to see his last living close family. To have her crush him in a hug and remark on how he had grown again since the last time she seen him. "Mother?" Lucius cried again but with some hesitance as the building remained deathly quiet.

"She's dead, Son," a voice unfamiliar to Lucius' ears called out calmly although no figure appeared before him.

Lucius immediately let his training take over his body; face killed of expression. He widened his stance slightly to centre his balance and readied his hands to fight any threat that invaded his home. His eyes searched every doorway just waiting to be jumped at with a weapon.

"Calm yourself, Lucius Maxis Vor, Son of Lycus and Senia Vor. Centurion of First Cohort, Seventh Legion," the calm yet firm tone carried through the house like a wave. "Son of Rome,"

"Who are you?" Lucius barked back, still at the ready. "Show yourself, Coward!"

As soon as the words left Lucius lips he was sent flying like paper from a hurricane wind. His back collided painfully with the wall as his breath became sharp. Lucius collapsed to his knees as pain echoed through his muscles and bone. His breaths became heavy before he regained his footing to the shock of a man over Seven feet tall.

"Stay your fists, my Son," his voice commanded as his large palm encompassed Lucius' balled fist. With ease, the larger man of fair skin simply pushed the Legionnaire's hands to his side. "Your fighting skill, although exemplary, is not needed here. I need your sharp wits and a steady soul," he asked with a calming smile before turning and motioned Lucius to follow.

Lucius for the better part was dumbfounded at the giants height yet perfect humanoid shape. The man had skin as fair as the gods and muscles that could break the purest iron sword with ease yet his body still seemed slim. His short, dark wavy hair stuck to his head as if his years were spent wearing a soldier's helm. The simple red robe he wore, much like a man of the Senate, hugged his body as he made his way through the building and to the patio over looking the crop field.

"I apologize if this approach seems too direct or perhaps sudden, Lucius, but I also know you have had many of such trials lately," the man spoke with a chuckle at the end as if recalling a memory of his own. "I brought you here for an importance that concerns everything you hold dear. Your family, your Legion, Our Rome and your potential future as well,"

Lucius listened although with a reluctance to voice his words as he gazed out to the fields that were being kissed by the beauty of the Sun.

"Rome, what is left of her beauty, is now marred in fruitless bloodshed, debauchery of political struggle and absolute pathetic sense of peace," the Man who was calm and collected furrowed his brow and let a fire ignite in his eyes, a fire Lucius was glad that it wasn't looking at him. "Everything you fought for is now for ruin and the people who once thought the self proud, are now begging and pleading. Our backs, broken. Our faith, shattered. Our love, diluted. How does this make you feel, Lucius?" The man asked as his gaze shifted without him turning his head to look upon the Centurion.

"Furious," Lucius spoke without thinking as he found his hands in a tight fist; knuckles white as bone. "A lot of good men died for nothing in the end," the Centurion muttered as if a bad taste was left in his mouth.

"It is why I summoned you here, Lucius," the giant of a man spoke as he turned and placed a hand on Lucius' shoulder, the other on his heart. "I, Mars, Father of Rome and Her Legions order you," the God of a man started before correcting himself. "Nay, I beg of you, Lucius. Save Rome!"

Lucius' mind went like a blank slate as his mouth unhinged open and his eyes widened upon the God's declaration. Sense soon found a hold within the Soldier's body as he dropped to his knees and prayed to the God before him. "My Lord, I am not worthy to be in company of such magnificence," he spoke clearly before a hand easily pulled the Mortal back to his feet.

"Lucius, you have been a favoured Son to me, and your father before you," Mars spoke firmly as he gave Lucius' arm a squeeze to drive the point home. "You alone are the last man to pray to Jupiter and myself which has given us strength we haven't felt in a Century. You alone are the last true Roman and possibly the only one who can save this great land from a force of evil that hasn't shown it's face in two Centuries,"

Lucius, still taken back from the situation at hand, could only search the troubled face of his God, Mars. "What could a simple Soldier like myself simply do, that a great God cannot do?" Lucius asked from his deep curiosity.

"I'm dying, Lucius Maxis Vor," Mars admitted sadly as he gazed fondly like a Father gazing proudly to his Son. "My powers are limited and my reach upon the Mortal realm is very thin. The faith of the Roman people, wavered and sullied with greed, has forsaken her Gods and with it, our essential essence to look over Rome's well being,"

Lucius tried to speak but his words failed to make anything more than a simple stammer before silencing himself. A bleak look had fallen over the Roman as he simply gazed to the ground he had increasingly felt fake and distant. "Is Rome destined to crumble and die? Are my People meant to simply fade away or become lost to foreign influence to the point of no self recognition?"

Mars was respectfully quiet as he gazed at the Mortal before him. He witnessed Lucius, the Last True Roman, simply recognize the true fact of Rome. The god simply did the only thing a Father would do to comfort a friend and family member, he extended his arms brought the mortal into a comforting embrace. "Your Father also had lost his faith in his people on one of the many battlefields. He found it again however, when he was brought home to you. The safety of his home was secured by the shield in his hand and the muscle that he wield it,"

"Now I must ask something from you, Lucius," Mars continued as the Centurion collected himself and steeled his gaze. "An enemy threatens not only Rome but all of the Species that live in peace. You must be the shield of their hopes and the Gladius to keep this Empire at bay. They will enter with a flare of lightening and force of a hurricane,"

Lucius quirked his head to the side slightly in confusion at the mission granted to him. "What enemy? If it is of flesh and bone, I can kill it,"

"This enemy is one you have fought before and defeated but fate will grip your life in her hands, Lucius," Mars spoke solemnly before looking at the setting Sun, nodding. "Our time is at a close, my Son. I'm glad we have had a chat before you return to Celestia and the rest of your travels but before you go, I shall grant you with but a shard of my power," Mars spoke before placing a hand on Lucius right arm; around the shoulder blade.

Lucius was confused once more before he felt an extreme spout of pain erupt from where the God was touching. It was as if his very body was being exposed to the hottest furnace, molten metal coursing through his veins.

"If ever your afraid, I will guide you home,"

Lucius opened his watered eyes to see his true Father smiling at him before everything went dark.

"Lucius!"

With a shake the Human awoke with a startle as he witnessed a Guard above his modest bed granted to him from Celestia. Lucius shuffled in his bed as he tried to remember where he was as he gazed around frantically.

"Calm yourself, Lucius," the Guard spoke again as he raised a hoof as if to stop the Human's frantic movement. "You are requested by the Princess to accompany myself in over watching some new recruits train today. Apparently the Princess thinks you need some fresh air," the gruff voice explained as he moved his way to the doorway without further delay.

Lucius, for all his worth, simply paused to breath before flexing from a dull pain in his shoulder. His hand acted on reflex as it grasped the shoulder but instead of feeling blood or possibly a tear in the skin, he found it was as if he was simply by the fireplace for too long.

"By the way," the guard spoke up pointing to Lucius. "You got a nice tattoo there,"

Lucius arced an eyebrow in confusion before turning his head to fully inspect his shoulder. Raising his arm he realized with wide eyes that perhaps the dream he had was some more material than he ever suspected for he had Mars' Spear and Shield proudly displayed on his right shoulder in what seemed was bold black ink. Stupefied, he only muttered his thanks at the guard before pulling the blanket from over him and went to the bowl of fresh water to splash over his face feeling the stubble that grew. Settling on simply cleaning himself the best he can, he'd worry about shaving later as he leaned on the desk to look at his armour that awaited him in the Morning's glow.

The heavy wooden sword struck against the Human's shield that reverberated through Lucius' arm. The blow had strength behind it but it almost seemed like the Recruit was simply swinging randomly at his opponent, something that a Veteran would exploit. Lucius waited for the Earth Stallion to strike again in the predictable pattern and as the blow struck the shield, Lucius rushed forward to the point that he had his knee raised up till it rested under the Pony's chin.

A clapping of hooves echoed in the arena as the current Instructor spoke up. "Did you see what Recruit Wellspring screwed up? He let his attack pattern become too predictable to the point that he left himself open to a planned assault which in this case, would have shattered his jaw and mostly likely, a good assortment of teeth," the gathered Guards-to-be chuckled and smacked Recruit Wellspring on the back when he rejoined the circle that circumferences the fight pit.

Lucius stood in the ring with his wooden shield and sword as he mostly kept quiet. He'd beaten every Recruit that the Instructor had sent at him but it was to be expected. It was like sending a Puppy to defeat a grown Lion. Granted, with time, training and experience the Recruits could become skilled fighters if they chose to chase the career but experience is something you cannot teach. Riots or drunks can only get you so far but wars and conflicts will make your will into metal.

Drowning both his thirst and the instructions the older Stallion discussed, Lucius gazed around the Recruits until he found one odd Mare that made him lower his water skin. Her gaze was fixated on the Centurion in the ring to the point that he soon felt an itch on the back of his neck. Their staring match was interrupted when the aging Instructor came between them.

"Centurion! I said are you able to continue?"

Lucius only nodded and pointed to the Unicorn Mare who smiled at the declaration. The instructor paused for a moment as he narrowed his gaze towards the Mare. Lucius noticed and it would seem like there was something amiss as the two Ponies nodded to each other before she entered the ring.

The dark green Mare with a shaved mane and a cropped tail simply lit her horn as two swords levitated before her. A wild smirk adorned her face as she started to square off with the Human in small, confident strides. Her eyes searched and examined every part of the Human before her as the Instructor blew the whistle to begin.

Lucius wasn't a fool when it came to battle. The Mare before him has seen combat and he knew it. Her pose, her eyes and the spacing she gave her opponent were too practiced that it could only conclude that she has fought, more than likely with two blades as well which would explain the look the Instructor gave her. Lucius mind went blank as he raised his shield to block an incoming strike and angled his sword to deflect a swipe from another.

Her onslaught was relentless as each blade swipe pushed the Centurion to the edge of the ring. Her smirk grew wide as she watched his left sandalled foot come mere centimetres from crossing over the disqualification line. It had been less than fifteen seconds since the start and it already seemed decided. That was until she caught something unexpected speeding at her. Her smirk disappeared as she squeaked and ducked her head to see the circular shield fly directly where her head was seconds ago.

Lucius was on the assault in a flurry of footsteps as he threw his wooden sword to which the Mare dodged by shifting herself to the right. By this time, Lucius had gained all the ground lost and more as the Mare went wide eyed in shock and surprise. Over two hundred pounds of Human and Metal was sprinting in her direction without any indication of stopping and all she could do was panic.

The Unicorn raised back on her two legs which only made the Instructor groan and cover his eyes with a hoof.

Lucius collided with the Recruit by the midsection and carried her in a tackle as they both collided into the ground. The Mare exhaled sharply upon impact with the ground and before she could react with her fading magic, the Centurion quickly coiled his body around her with one arm locked around her throat. The Mare gasped a couple of times before tapping the Soldier in quick succession.

Lucius only exhaled sharply before releasing his grip and uncoiling his legs from the Mare's midsection. The Recruit laid there for a few moments sharply taking in breath before shaking slightly to get back on to her hooves. Her smirk was long lost but was now replaced with a glare as her horn went alight once more to levitate another sword to her side.

The Instructor had seen more than enough as he went to intervene but it was too late.

Lucius was quick and efficient with his strike. His hand flashed out and quickly grasped the Unicorn violently by her horn as she screwed her eyes shut tight in pain. It was like a magical flame being extinguished as the Sword fell uselessly to the dirt. Just as quickly as it started, the Mare's little show of resilience was squashed. The Centurion released his grip as the Mare only glared daggers back at him before tenderly rubbing her precious horn.

"Any opinions on the fight you all just witnessed?" The Instructor spoke out loud but only got wide eyed and amazed looks as the entire class witnessed the star pupil get beaten. Even the instructors had troubles with the Mare when in the ring!

Lucius spoke up quickly to put the final nail into the Mare's cocky coffin. "She underestimated my ability and assumed she knew everything about my combat style. Her assaults were accurate but lacked some strength behind them. Another thing you Ponies often do when shocked or in a panic, is do that thing when you raise yourself on your two back legs. Never do that to a Human. Your centre of balance is thrown so far off that a stray breeze could knock you over, much like I just demonstrated,"

The Instructor smiled and clapped his fore hooves once. "Exactly!" He cried as he motioned towards the lone Human. "We teach you Honour, Pride and Justice but you must understand that when it comes to life or death, bite the bastards if you must!"

Lucius narrowed his eyes as he recalled his life in combat. "I've killed plenty enough to know that if you want to be 'Honourable' in battle, don't go to war. When your stepping over the dead and wounded to push the enemy back, you'll understand. The feeling of stepping on a crying man who," Lucius paused as the entire ring was silent and staring at the man with shock, disgust and bewilderment. The Centurion could only steel his gaze at the crowd before exhaling slowly. These Ponies knew nothing of fighting and probably never would. "Never mind," he simply groaned before straightening out his armour.

"Alright, you lot! Gather the practice weapons and stow them away!" The Instructor ordered which caused the Recruits to snap out of their gaze and immediately start gathering equipment. The Instructor however returned his gaze to the Human and simply nodded to him which Lucius nodded back before turning which caused his cloak to flutter in the air for a moment.

Lucius walked briskly and was soon flanked by a group of four Royal Guards.

Fabulinus and Lucius sat at one of the many unused tables in the Royal Library. An extraordinary stack of books along with charts were spread amongst the table top. The Stallion had to give the man some honest credit; he studied hard. The Human wasn't exactly smart when it came to mathematics or much of the initial principles that governed scientific fields but he was a problem solver. It was interesting to see the man work at something much like a hive of Ants. Lucius had an obstacle before him and his prize, Fabulinus joked that it was Celestia, ahead of him. From there the Human worked tirelessly to do two options, remove or detour. Much like water, he would take the path of least resistance.

What made Fabulinus flinch slightly was when the man brought that mentality to the battlefield. How many enemies turned in shock to see a flanking Century charging at them, Lucius at the front? He dwelled on the thought for a moment until Lucius halted reading what was left of a certain chapter within a history book. It was very vague but the Centurion had officially been caught up on everything he had missed since his imprisonment. It was around 9 A.M. when they had started and it was only a couple hours away until dinner was to be served.

"By the Gods," Was the only thing Lucius could think to say as his thought concentration swelled with everything he had learned. The fall of the Roman Empire, The Species Peace Treaty, return of Princess Luna, and many other events. Apparently after the fall of Rome, peace was one thing on every single persons mind; even the stubborn Gryphons agreed to it. The trade roads re-opened and many places flourished with a booming economy.

All the places except Rome, it would seem. Peace was fantastic but rebuilding was expensive. The Roman coffers were splurged to the parent country that owned each section to help pay off the war debts reconstruction efforts. Lucius even noticed that Celestia wasn't above that as she seemed just as eager to take from his Peoples pockets. Should he have expected any different? It was war and for all that he was expecting, was the rape and burning of the entire Roma province.

The only thing he had to personally thank Celestia for, was the actual care of the Equestrian governor who overlooked their slice of Rome. The mare that overlooked the Province tried her best, it would seem, to judge over a troubled populace fairly. It was less than what was giving from the other two diplomats who cared little in the overall mood for their section. Riots were suppressed, violently, and any sort of regime change was stomped into the ground.

Fabulinus was now regretting showing him anything that particularly had to do with Rome after the Fall. He believed he wasn't in immediate danger but he could read those eyes after many hours by his side. The man was doing what he did best, he was problem solving and it was easy to tell what the problem is. He greedily read about military advancements, arms and armour. Another book opened to Generals and certain strategy but Fabulinus could only hear exasperated sighs from the Human. Without war, there's was little to no chance for an inspiring leader to develop interesting battle plans.

For another hour, the Human stayed glued to his seat with an almost completely melted candle for light. It wasn't until a hoof gently touched his arm was when he was taken aback from his surroundings. The natural light of the Sun had diminished and the candle, although bravely, was about to run out of its wick. His eyes turned up expecting to see Fabulinus but instead was greeted by a soft smile.

Celestia had been watching him study away peacefully for almost fifteen minutes after ushering Fabulinus away for him to rest. The Human she admired simply sat with his Helmet on the table, the candlelight through the helms hair almost inspiring a certain beauty in it. His body, although scarred and rough, seemed at peace when his mind dutifully worked away with the vast information he was obviously taking in.

Fabulinus didn't say a word as he gave a look around only to notice there was no one else in the library. Feeling more comfortable in the moment of knowing they were the only two here, he gave her a small smile. "I am to assume the Librarium is closed now?" He asked before siting straight for what seemed like hours if the sound of his bones snapping were any indication. He let out a groan before blowing out the candle and placing his helmet back onto his head.

Celestia could only let a small laugh escape her as she watched from his side. "I'm sure Fabulinus will be more than pleased to let you in here again tomorrow if you'd like," she said with amusement in her voice. "However, I am to believe you even skipped lunch since you were face deep within the books?" She asked with an accusatory, sly smile.

Lucius raised a hand to protest but knew that she would probably win any sort of verbal confrontation of his well being. He simply opted for a nod of his head and standing, draping this cloak over his form. "I take it we are about to have another pleasant dinner with your Sister?" He asked barely trying to hide his dislike of the Nocturnal version of Celestia.

Celestia simply waved a hoof to dismiss his troubles. "Luna is a great Mare once you both take down your defensive mechanism you have deeply placed within your selves," Celestia preached as she levitated the door open for the Centurion as he practically marched out. It was a walk she was comfortable with as she knew all too many military types that had a certain strut unlike more peaceful citizens of Equestria. "The real trouble about this dinner however won't be from my Sister. I have a Niece and her husband coming along with seven other of my close friends for this dinner," she spoke but with much more unease than earlier.

Lucius caught on quick as he turned his head to see her looking nervous. "Let me take a guess. You want me to be on my best behaviour for your guest?" He asked before letting out an exasperated breath leave his nostrils.

"I just want this Dinner to go by as peaceful as It possibly can," she explained although Celestia didn't like being this blunt in the matter. "Luna should be quiet around so many others so I doubt she will try anything. Everyone else should be on their best behaviour," she explained further in the hopes of making it seem less like an order and more of a friend asking a favour.

Lucius stopped before the dinning room doors and stared at Celestia whom simply gave a pleading look. As it stood, he could be childish and simply stamper off to his chambers, screaming and hollering or he could face this head on. The true option was clear even though meeting knew ponies wasn't exactly top on his to-do list. "I will play nice if the rest of them decide too, Celestia,"

The Mare gave him a heartwarming smile before leaning in to give his cheek a nuzzle, humming as she did so.

Lucius stood dumbfounded once again as the Mare pressed her advances on him with nothing but a stumble of his tongue.

"Alright, Girls and Spike, we are going to be on our best behaviour, right?" Twilight asked as she gave the Ponies who sat around the table an accusatory glance. "Especially you two, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash,"

Both Ponies in question only gave an obvious strained smile but otherwise didn't mention a thing.

"I'm serious you two! No pranks, shenanigans, cup cake eating contests or the likes!" She ordered, knowing them far too well.

"Come on, Twilight," Spike elbowed her gently before siting back into his elevated seat. "If Celestia trusts this Human than he should be an alright guy, especially if the Princesses wanted us to meet him,"

"Yes, dear," Rarity chimed in as she marvelled at the etiquette of the dinner table set up. "I dare say that maybe the fair Princess has even become smitten with the Man,"

Luna, for all her training in both a Warrior and a Princess, was having a hard time from not snickering. Everything she planned was easily coming with her hoofs grasp to show to her Sister the folly of having such affection for the Human. Luna knew she wasn't perfect but when it came to her Sister' well being, be it love or health, she was concerned. This Lucius was obviously not worth it in her mind and she was determined to show every pony else.

All the chatter died when the doors creaked open to find both the Princess walking in together side by side. The Human although slightly tanned, held a moments blush amongst his cheeks before his expression hardened. His gaze levelled on Luna who gave him a smirk back.

"Everyone, this is Lucius Maxis Vor. He is from Rome and is visiting for the mean time, learning from a friend of mine," Celestia announced as she beckoned to a seat beside hers at the end of the table.

Lucius removed his helm and placed it on a nearby tray that stood beside him. His gaze was then shifting amongst the guest as he was treated with a wide array of smiles and some curious glances. It was quiet for a moment before Celestia sat at the table delicately, eagerly eyeing up the food.

"So, Lucius, I heard that your a military man?" Came from a white Unicorn, Stallion who sat beside a soft, pink mare with both a horn and wings.

Lucius studied the two and noted that these were obviously the Niece and Husband Celestia spoke of earlier. Nodding his head, Lucius brought up his goblet of wine to his face but paused. "I am a Centurion of the Seventh Legion: Invictus. I take it by your dress, that you are a serving ma-" Lucius paused in his error. "Serving Pony, as well?"

Shining armour simply let a small laugh as he raised his on goblet with a levitation spell. "Indeed, in her Majesties Royal Guard before I Married my beautiful Wife here," he explained as the pink mare beside him giggled. "But where are my manners? I am Shining Armour and this is my Wife, Princess Cadence of the Crystal Kingdom,"

Lucius gave the two a nod of his head. "Well met," he spoke before looking over the array of food before him. Greenery, assorted vegetables and fruit but nothing even closely related to meat except for some cooked fish that sat close to Lucius' own plate. He didn't mutter anything or curse but the lack of meat in his diet while not life threatening, was becoming something he missed. He never had received fantastic cuts of meat on campaigns but it was often stirred in stew if the Legion was in encampment which always lifted his spirits.

Celestia noted his slight frown as he inspected the food available and instantly connected the proverbial dots. She knew this already but the Gryphon cook she requested was still a few days out. He was returning from vacation and was the only cook she trusted to put any sort of cooked meat in front of Lucius. Celestia, noticing the Human looking her way, simply mouthed an apology which he simply shrugged at before drinking more wine.

"So what is Rome like, Lucius?" Rarity asked before taking a dainty bite of her salad.

"Beautiful and vibrant in the summer," he answered as his mind vaguely ran through the images of his home Villa. "My family owned a vineyard that produced some of the greatest wines that stretched the Empire,"

Luna listened in as the hour dragged on to her dismay. Not only did the assembled Ponies completely show no care towards a Man from two hundred years ago but were actively engaging in conversation. Was she wrong? Could he be trusted? While some of her mind began doubting her most of the fibres in her body screamed no. No one was good enough for her Sister.

Celestia was ecstatic as the hour of pleasant chat consumed most of the diner. She was relatively quiet unless asked a question by Twilight, but otherwise simply opted to listen. All of the chatter eventually died off as the serving staff came in to clear away the main dishes and replaced them with simple assortment of desserts. Celestia, trying her best to look casual, levitated a slice of cake onto her plate.

Lucius casually ate a strawberry as his narrowed eyes examined the small lizard that was siting beside Princess Twilight. Was it a Dragon? Perhaps some lesser Wyrm? The thoughts constantly plagued him but to look at the creature as any sort of threat seemed childish. Placing another strawberry into his mouth gingerly, he simply turned his attention back to the Princess that had chocolate icing on her cheek.

"Hey Rarity, want to see my latest fire trick?" Spike announced after he cleared his plate eagerly of any ice-cream.

Twilight groaned outwardly as she turned an eye towards her number one assistant. "Remember what happened last time you tried a fire trick, Spike?" The Lavender Mare spoke in a cautionary tone.

"Oh come on, Twi! I practiced two months on this simple trick to get it just right," Spike pleaded and soon every pony there seemed interested. "Please?"

Twilight bit her lip for a moment before turning to the masters of the house, or castle in this instance. Celestia and Luna exchanged looks but otherwise smiled. Letting out a small sigh, she forfeited and nudge Spike with a small smile.

Lucius watched with slight interest. He had seen fire breathers before that entertained the noble families but seeing this little Dragon breath spouts of orange and red fire would be entertaining at least.

Spike took in a deep breath and waited a moment for dramatic pause; sly smile plastered on his face before bellowing out his green flames.

Lucius world came to a violent and screeching stop. The green flames reflected off of his eyes as he watched for only a moment, images and dying cries echoing in his mind. The smell of scorched flesh and hair clustered his smell as he stood up, kicking his chair back in the motion. The Centurion moved with skill and determination as he gripped the knife he had for dinner in his hand. In a mad dash he leaped onto the table towards the now startled Spike.

Everyone watched in surprise and shock as the Human who had been staring only moments ago leapt upon the dinning table. Cries and shouts erupted as the Centurion held the knife up to strike down upon the baby Dragon. Lucius, eyes full of hatred and determination, swung the knife down but a sudden jerking motion caused it to imbed into the table.

Lucius clawed and swore in a language only a select few at the table even understood. A soft golden aura surrounded the man's armour as he tried to continue his failed assault upon the Dragon. Every Pony there witnessed the utter hatred and desire to kill in his eyes that they quickly took Spike out of the room.

Celestia kept Lucius pinned with her Magic as she shouted for everyone to leave the room. After everyone left the room upon her wishes she finally let the man go from her grasp. "Care to explain why you just attempted to murder one of my closest friends?" She accused with a hoof on his chest.

Lucius only swatted it away with a free hand as he leaned against the table till his heavy breathing came under control. His mouth remained close however as he simply starred off in no particular direction, his eyes unfocused and moist. His form almost seemed weaker as a sudden weight has been placed upon his shoulders.

Celestia watched his form almost weaken and started to catch on. He was suffering from an event of some kind that obviously still haunted him deeply. It didn't take too long to figure that it had something to do with Spikes flames which further connected the dots within the Princess' mind. Her expression softened as she extended her hoofs to bring the hesitant Human into her embrace. "You fought against his Mother, didn't you?" She asked softly into his hair as she felt the soldier in her grasp almost seem to melt.

"The smell," he muttered out as he simply leaned into her. "I can never get the smell out of my head," he simply, stated before going silent once again.

It was quiet in the dinning room for a long while as the two simply sat in a calming silence. Celestia just did her best to hold him close and gently nuzzle him now and again but to her small enjoyment, he simply leaned further towards her. It wasn't the ending to the Dinner she wanted and knew there would be some repercussions but PTSD was something she knew well enough.

Lucius didn't feel coherent what so ever when he was in Celestia's embrace. The images, sounds and smells just seemed too intense for him to grasp under any sort of control. He had acted correctly, didn't he? The dragon was a threat and he acted thusly. Everything sort of seemed so fast paced that it flashed before him in a frenzied blur.

Luna paced outside the hallway in a small panic as her thoughts ran a mile a minute. She didn't like Lucius and to see the possibility of him and Celestia together irked the Nocturnal Princess. She was hoping the Man would lose his cool one day but never would she hope that it would go down like that. She had used violence once due to jealousy and loathed her choices since. Her thoughts were interrupted when Celestia came out with a human draped over her sleeping peacefully, his Helmet levitating.

"Not a single word, Luna," Celestia spoke with an authority. "He's suffering from PTSD. I put a sleeping spell on him and will place him into bed. Please do me a favour and ask Twilight, Spike and the rest to meet me in my Personal Quarters," she practically ordered before gently making her way towards Lucius guest bedroom.

Luna observed her leave with an apologetic look before turning herself towards the waiting group in the courtyard.

Celestia collapsed atop her bed with slight exhaustion as her half lidded eyes barely cared for her surroundings. The Elements of Harmony were furious at Lucius until the point Celestia had explained exactly what happened except to spare Spike from the truth about his Mother. A baby dragon shouldn't have to deal with such a thing just yet. Luckily, Shining Armour was more than understanding seeing a few cases himself and immediately took her side in the explanation which seemed to calm everypony's nerves.

Celestia however seemed to only let out a breath of relief that she caught the Human in time to reel him in. That night could have gone much worse and she feared poor Spike was now going to live with some sort of inherent fear of Humans. It wasn't everyday a Soldier clad in armour leapt over a dining table in the hopes to plunge dinnerware into your skull. With a last huff Celestia squirmed under her own blankets in the hopes sleep would be much more relaxing until a loud, frantic knock resounded off her door.

"Your Majesty!" A voice called out.

Celestia groaned for only a moment before getting out of bed and opening the door with her magic.

"My apologies, your Majesty, but I bring news," the Royal Guard spoke with a salute. "Some Pony tried to assassinate Lucius Maxis Vor,"

Author's Note:

Oh my! Plot device! I promised more action and I shall deliver with even more goodness in the future!