• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 3,138 Views, 55 Comments

Legio VII: Invictus - Silbern



Centurion Lucius Vor is in a fight for his life along with Princess Celestia as dark forces muster.

  • ...
13
 55
 3,138

Germanica

The Ponies sat quietly in the dark with only a whimper or two escaping their lips while they few guards sat by the windows. It all happened in a flash. There was no warning. For all their bravery and credit, the Ponies they could protect they marshalled into a large Inn. Candles were blown out, any sort of music halted. The Foals were ushered down into the cellar with a few of the Mares while the rest of the adults were upstairs brandishing make shift clubs and broken glass. The guards still had their equipment but more than a few now wore fresh bandages.


Considering the dead on the street, they simply counted their blessing.


The Sergeant of the patrol motioned towards the large window and pushed the curtain aside slightly. His gaze narrowed as he spotted torchlight and hollering coming down the street. Closing the blind he got down on all fours letting a hush towards the rest of the building's occupants. His heart beat echoed in his ears as the crowd could be heard closer and closer. Some were chanting in a language he couldn't understand while others seemed to be openly mocking the dead.


Very slowly, the Pony drew his sword from his scabbard. He would die before letting that scum hurt anyone else.


The torchlight and rowdy noises stopped outside and this was when he knew that his time was now. He gazed up to see an eye looking down on him through the cracks.


The Guard lifted his sword and in a moment he prepared himself before the window shattered and limping over the window sill was a shrouded pony figured with a arrow shaft sticking out of his rib cage. The Sergeant couldn't believe it until a whistle blast echoed across the street.


“Shields!”


Lucius grinned at the shot the Unicorn behind him made. If he didn't know any better, he suspected that arrow had punctured the very heart of the monster.


The enemy had gathered their wits and located their enemy. Luckily the enemy didn't outnumber them so it was a perfect starting battle to test his new comrades strength. “Let them charge. Hold your ground!”


As if his orders were a beckoning taunt the enemy obliged with a happy battle cry of their own. Their hoofs beat the stone road as they charged the shield wall.


“Brace! Support the man in front of you!” Lucius shouted in a booming voice. In a instant he felt two hoofs bracing him from behind. Considering his new comrades, Lucius even had to lower his stance slightly so his shield would bolster the formation. The crucial moment approached rapidly as the attackers collided with the wall like a violent wave crash of fur, flesh and metal.


This wave however could not breach the wall.


Lucius groaned as the pony crashed upon his own shield and without even having to say a word, the pony bracing him joined his strength to push back. The Centurion now used the small lull to strike out against the pony attacking the shield to his right. The Guard then shoved out with his own shield to smack the crying body back.


Lucius braced again as his own enemy tried to hack his way through the Scutum in the Centurion's hand. Lucius shoved again with his shield but when the attacker came back he was meet with a shaft now piercing through it's chest.


The spear was twisted once before violently being pulled back.


Lucius gave a grin before blowing his whistle twice loudly. “Century! Slow Advance!”


The Formation moved forward at a slow pace, their eyes constantly checking the man or pony beside them to stay in formation. As a unit they stepped over the dead to approaching the now hesitating enemy. Lucius watched as he observed something he knew every living being had within them. The Flight or Fight instinct. He had a feeling these ponies were nothing more than something akin to conscripts to help raid and destabilize the area.


He watched as with each step his own formation took they had backed up.


To both his own surprise and that of the enemy, a cry of anger pierced out from the building where the earlier corpse hung on the window sill, A lone Guard pointed his sword. He along with others cried out and charged from the building brandishing what he could only call a bar brawl of weaponry. It's effectiveness was not something to be taken lightly however as they battered into whomever was not ready to retreat.


It was quick and bloody.


The Human jogged up to their location and observed the remains of the battle. To this, the Pony in charge of the group who was hunkering inside came forth and gave a salute.


“Sergeant Hook, Sir,"


“Ave,” The Centurion responded before looking around. “I've come to gather Soldiers to breach the Castle. Gather any who are still able to continue Sergeant,”


The Pony look confused for a moment before looking to the Guard officer beside the Centurion who only responded with a nod.


“So be it,”

The Centurion stood leaning against a building after his scout told him that the castle front entrance was right around the corner. Lucius removed his helmet and slowly peeked around the corner. The Castle entrance was around a hundred meters away and only guarded by two burly looking Ponies. The two of them also seemed to wield a couple of great axes.


“There is two at the front gate,” Lucius whispered to the Sergeant and Lieutenant. “We could take them but we should suspect actual trained enemy within the Castle gates. Is everyone prepared?”


The Sergeant nodded as he turned his head to gaze at the thirty or so pony guards they managed to gather. Some were wounded but had pleaded to be included. Their Princesses were inside the Castle and needed their help.


“They are about as ready as they can be. I won't lie, Human, I didn't think we'd get this far,” the Sergeant grinned.


“That is Centurion, to you,” Lucius corrected as he gave the Sergeant a glare.


“Yes, Centurion,” The Sergeant instantly straightened up.


“Good. I plan on getting all of you through this. To do that, I need utter discipline,”


“That sounds like a good idea,” The Lieutenant said before pointing to a sewer grate on the street nearby. “And I think I know a way inside the Castle without lifting a sword,”


As a group they moved through the sewer in a tight formation. The Unicorns in the middle and any wielding a shield in the front and back. The Magic users giving a low light for the others to see.


“Are you sure?” Lucius whispered over the steps in the sewage beneath them.


“There is magical doorway to the castle that only Officers and select staff know about. It is used to help others escape but for us it will be the opposite,” The Lieutenant answered without shifting his vision away from the left wall. Like this the group moved silently until the Officer gave a hushed halt.


Lucius paused and gazed at the wall but didn't see anything in particular until the Unicorn's horn began to glow.


Like a wisp of fog being pulled away by a strong gust of wind, the wall had disappeared from view revealing a small hallway and heavy set door. Lucius ordered the formation to hold while he and Tortoise approached the door.


“Sergeant,”


“Centurion?”


“The Lieutenant and I are going to scout ahead. If we don't return in five minutes follow after us,”


“Yes, Sir”


Lucius took the door handle in his hand and slowly pushed it forward to find much more of the same that they already trudged in. Without much of a word, the two began their journey forward under the memory of the young Officer. It almost took them a few minutes before being at the base of a ladder which if the Officer recalled, brought them to the kitchen.


Lucius grinned now that he knew where he was. He knew the grounds upon which he fought again.


“Go back and gather the Century,” Lucius ordered before turning to see the obvious confusion on the Stallion's face.


“Go get the Soldiers,” Lucius huffed.


After a look of revelation, the Officer quietly made his way back to retrieve the group. As soon as the Sergeant gave the nod, Lucius quietly made his way up the ladder. He hadn't heard a single thing about Celestia or Luna since far earlier in the day and considering that the situation didn't improve he was slightly worried. He knew what sort of Magic they could wield and to think that they still were in battle or worse didn't paint a fantastic picture.


He paused at the top to look down to see that he was supported by the best shield ponies first. With one last sigh he pushed the stone above him as slow as he could to see an empty room lite by the larger fireplace. There was no staff or enemies in sight and the only thing he could hear was the crackling of the fire. Heaving with all his might, he pushed the stone tablet off the hole and to the side. It caused some noise but he wasn't too worried now that they breached the inner castle without a single loss.


It took a few minutes for the entire group to assemble but when they did. Lucius ordered a strict light and noise discipline. His goal was the Throne room and it was best to avoid most of the fighting if he could. He held his shield in front of him as his eyes scanned the empty hallways before him. There didn't seem to be any signs of battle but that didn't put him at ease. The rag tag of Soldiers came to the first intersection which caused the Centurion to halt the formation.


Not a single sound.


“Where are they,” Lucius whispered under his breath as he motioned for them to continue.


“Centurion, Sir” Tortoise whispered to get his attention.


Centurion halted the formation and he knelt down to turn towards the Officer.


“This has to be a trap. There is no way even with surprise, that they could have completely captured the castle without a fight,” The Stallion explained. “Unless this is a Anti-Magic ward,”


“Anti-Magic ward?” Lucius questioned as he never heard of anything that could be extremely valuable.


“It was a Magic being developed in secret. It was never released to the public,” He began to explain. “It stops all magic within it's radius however the toll on the Unicorn can be deadly,”


“So you are saying somewhere within this Castle are Unicorns keeping that ward up?” Lucius surmised with a smile.


“Yes, Centurion,” The Unicorn officer spoke again as he tried to levitate his own dagger only to see that nothing happened.


“Good,” Lucius mused as he licked his drying lips. “Listen in, Lads. This is what we are gonna do,”

Lucius made his way to a corner and paused to look around the corner. He spotted a couple of the clothed guards by the door to the Throne room. Honestly, he breathed out in relief at seeing them. Standing back up to be covered by the corner he tapped his sword against the stone to hear it echo along the hallway. Knowing full well that the enemy heard that he nodded to the Guard Mare beside him. She had stripped out of her armour and dressed in something akin to what the cooks would wear.


The Mare nodded back at Lucius with a grin before attempting her best frightened Pony look and stumbled around the corner only to see the guards approaching her. She gave out a small 'eep' before darting back towards Lucius and the others. The darting hooves grew in sound until they breached around the corner only to get pounced and stabbed.


Lucius removed his hand that he used to muffle one of the attackers. The group quickly gathered together and made their way towards the large double doors. He positioned himself along the others and with a great heave the doors opened before them.


“Shields!” The Centurion immediately ordered along with a sharp whistle blast as he witnessed the archers looking down on them.


The Guard Ponies did as they were told and committed their shields to overlap and not too soon as the the arrows either embedded or ricochet off. Lucius peered over his shield and witnessed something foreign to him. Upon the throne was a Humanoid form wreathed in shadow and fire. He could hear the monster tapping his fingers along the arm rest while resting his head upon the other almost as if he was bored.


He gazed left to see both Celestia and Luna bound in old, massive iron chains. Neither looked to be abused or battle weary so he could only assume that there was another sort of treachery afoot.


As soon as he had entered was when Celestia tried to jump from her position, desperation in her watering eyes.


Lucius watched as the brilliant Mare that used to shine even in the dullest light being bolted down like a beast on display. A fire within began to burn as the Centurion returned his attention to the obvious Commander.


“Century! Advance!”


Like one body, they moved forward which caused the flaming monstrosity to wave his own hand to send his own troops forward.


“Century! Shield wall!” His whistle blast echoed in the large room as he prepared to meet his enemy with a renewed energy fuelled by hatred. The Pony that first approached in a charge was meet with a shield thrusting forward to hit the forelegs which caused all the momentum to carry the pony face first to the ground. A foot soon came crushing down to stop any more movement.


The shield wall held with the fury of any Pony seeing their beloved Princesses treated like so. The Sergeant gave a cry as he hurled his spear to catch another in the chest. The Mare from before was seen using her own shield to bash another across the face several times until the metal facing was covered in assortment of viscera. Lucius used this momentum.


“Century! Advance!”


Like a unit they pushed the weaker foe. The Centurion thrust his own sword like a well oiled machine until none were left standing. His breath panted slightly before his attention was once more pressed to the remaining and most likely the most dangerous thing in the room.


“Century! To your Princesses!”


Lucius ordered which for a moment caused a slight confusion before the Sergeant ushered the Soldiers forward to make a protective circle around the Royalty.


“Don't fight him, Lucius!” Celestia cried out. “His power is something akin to a god!”


Luna watched in frustration as she tried her hardest to break the chains along with her sister. If only she could use magic.


Lucius had to ignore Celestia's pleas knowing full well that any chance of surrender was none existent. He approached the Throne slowly with both shield and gladius at the ready. The smoke and fire bellowed as the creature stood to tower over the Human Centurion. His form descended the stairs with slow, heavy footsteps. His breath was loud and haggard and blew out like smoke from a Dragon's nostrils.


“So we finally meet, Lucius Vor, Centurion of the First Cohort, Seventh Legion Invictus,” the creature spoke in a deep, guttural sound that almost seem to grate inside Lucius' ears. “I have waited a long time to finally fight the last of Rome's great power. It seems, however, that I may have come at an inopportune time,” he continued with an almost pleasured tone, looking towards the Princesses.


“My name is Zelus and I have come to destroy this world,” he explained as he stretched out his arms as flames shot out in a glorious if not deadly display.


“And I think I will start with the last true Roman. You have fled from your Gods and now there is no one to hold me back,”


Lucius chortled out loud which caused the godly apparition to flinch in annoyance.


“I am a Soldier of Rome! I will not yield!” Lucius shouted from the depths of his very soul as he gave his shield a smack with his sword which caused his arm to ignite in a white almost ghastly flame. Lucius paused in confusion himself before he caught movement in his peripheral vision to which he ducked and rolled to his right. He narrowly missed a wreath of flame scorch the area he had just occupied causing the stone to practically melt away.


He breathed hard once more as he prepared for the next attack which he brought his shield up to defend as a large fist collided. Lucius honestly thought he would end up like paste across the floor but he was holding. He wasn't winning the strength contest but with this he knew he could fight. His gladius came around and gave a quick downwards cut at the shadowy wrist which caused the flaming god to shout in anger while recoiling his hand.


“So Mars himself have chosen you?” the being spoke through grit teeth. “He was always so persistent. He should have disappeared like the rest. Jupiter and Mars cannot save you or your people, Lucius,”


Lucius started to taunt his foe by smacking his shield once more in a rhythm.


“I will save my People, Daimon,” Lucius spat.


“We will see!” Zelus shouted as he whipped his arm low which caught the Centurion on the shield. The Human braced and as the flame wreathed arm pushed him along he soon found his footing.


A quick jab found it's mark as the arm was withdrawn but not for long. The other punched forward which caused Lucius to fly backwards skidding along the smooth marble floor. The Soldier gave himself only a moment to grunt in pain before rolling aside to miss the familiar jet of flame.


Celestia hated this with almost unmatched fury. She continued to pull on the chains and even as the guards worked tirelessly to free her, the Alicorn knew these were no normal chains. Her loved one was fighting a battle he may not be able to win and all she could do was struggle. To say it was infuriating was a sever understatement.


Lucius blocked once more as the large fist collided with the force that was unmatched in any foe before him. That didn't stop him from doing his job however as his own ghostly flames licked out with his gladius to cut deep whenever the Daimon exposed itself.


Zelus growled and screeched in pain with every jab. His anger was growing almost to the point were even he was having trouble controlling it. His fist collided with the ground in blind fury which only caused him more pain as the infuriating Centurion would slice and pierce his shadowy skin. His astral flesh, normally immune to mortal weapons, gave way to each strike.


“You will burn like your beloved Empire, Lucius!” the screech easily echoed through the Throne room and beyond.


Lucius didn't respond with words but instead began to mock his opponent with more sword striking against the edge of his shield.


“Be consumed in my fire!” Zelus ordered as his largest jet of flame came forth to consume the Human.


Lucius braced and for a moment smiled. If this was his end then it wasn't a bad way to go but he doubt his fellow comrades in his lost Legion would believe him when he would regale his story of fighting a Daimon.


The flames never reached the Centurion however as he felt a presence above him. Before he peered to see this figure however, he could already feel the warmth and care that seemed to emit from it. He knew this feeling. His eyes adsorbed the light the Celestia absolutely beamed from her aura. Her face was masked in a look of pure concentration and anger. Her horn blasting out a magical energy that held heat even Lucius found to be stifling hot.


“You harm MY Ponies. You hold my Sister and I hostage and you dare harm the Man I love,” Celestia began to hover in place as her magic continued to fight against the blazing inferno that Zelus tried to engulf the Human with. “I, the Daughter of the Sun, command thee to join your followers in death!”


Another blast of Magic soon joined Celestia as Luna hovered nearby.


“Together, Sister!” Luna cried as she began to build up a magical charge.


Lucius took this as his moment as he charged forth before a magical blast almost rocked him off his feet. He stumbled as both the light and dark energy crashed in to Zelus who gave a cry of pain. His smouldering body crashed against the wall laden with the colourful windows of Equestria's past.


Shards of glass crash against the floor but none of this stopped the Centurion's momentum. He came forth like a unstoppable spirit of vengeance. He leaped atop the foe using his gladius as a anchor point which caused the Daimon to cry out once more in anger and pain.


Zelus pulled a free fist to swipe away the annoying Human only to have it crush into the marble by an armoured Alicorn of the Night. Luna's horn begun to burn brightly as a beam of dark magic cut forth and into the shadowy flesh of Zelus' shoulder. The limb was torn free and like a dying fire it began to smoke profusely through the now exposed windows.


Celestia, in her own awe inspiring armour, collided like a comet into Zelus' other arm. Her magic akin to the astral Sun, smothered the god with true fire.


Lucius breathed hard as he made his way to Zelus' head.


“Rome will never YIELD!”


A clean cut from his sword cleaved the creature's head from his tormented shoulders.


The shadowy head rolled across the floor until it came to a stop at the foot of the stairs leading to the throne. The body that belonged to Zelus crumbled and smouldered until nothing except the head was left. Lucius gave himself only a moment, leaning against his shield that was propped on the floor before he was collided in a tight embrace.


Large, brilliant white feathery wings enclosed around him and he did nothing but lean into Celestia's body for support and warmth. His breaths intermingled with the Princess as they both just just accepted each other. There was a peaceful silence that they enjoyed before being interrupted by a guttural laugh that echoed in the large room.


“I am not the last nor the strongest, Lucius,” Zelus spoke from his severed head. “I will return. I will bask this world in flames,”


Lucius breathed in Celetia's scent once more before pushing her away gently. She looked down on him before joining his side as he approached the laughing head. Without a word, his sword swung down to pierce the head to the floor. The laughter had stopped and like ashes, was carried away in the wind.


A breath of relief escaped many in the Throne room except Lucius who only turned to sit down on the step. The ghostly white flames had receded back to where ever in gods name they came from and that honestly brightened Lucius mood. It was another question to add to his already growing list.


Celestia was about to join him when he waved her off.


“Don't worry about me. I'm sure your Ponies need you much more than I do,” Lucius spoke before removing his helm from his sweat covered head.


Celestia and Luna stood for a moment before nodding to each other. The next hour or so was a flurry of action as the remaining disciples of Zelus were cornered and either arrested or cut down. A massive aid care stations were erected across the city.


It had seemed that Lieutenant Tortoise had indeed reached the Unicorns that were supplying the Anti-magic shield around the castle. The unfortunate part was that the young Officer was fatally wounded in his action. His body, along with his other comrades, were carried to a peaceful location in the garden now overlooked by Luna's beautiful moon light. Pegasi messengers were used in full as the alert was to be spread all across Equestria.


In all of this, Lucius sat on the same marble step. He was guarded by the Sergeant and the Mare from before.


It wasn't till Celestia had come back to gather his sleeping form did he break free from his slumber.


He could feel his body ache and that he was in desperate need of a bath but lucky to be in such good health. He knew many others this day were not.


Celestia said nothing as she wore her normal royal attire. She helped the Centurion to his feet and together they walked the busy hallway until they reached the Princess' personal bedchamber.


Lucius could hear the bath water already running before he even entered the room. He let go of Celestia's side to notice he had left a bloody hand print where he was using her for support. She noticed the hand print but didn't say anything as she began removing her own royal attire.


Lucius followed suit as he started to strip from his armour. He placed the individual pieces atop of the armour mannequin and when he got to just his tunic he didn't even hesitate. He threw the bloody and sweat soaked clothing in a heap on the floor to stand naked before Celestia.


The Alicorn didn't say anything as she slowly made her way into the bath followed by the Centurion.


The two dunked their head s under the water and much to Lucius amusement, he noticed that not even the water had seemed able to stop the Princess' ever flowing mane. Celestia only rolled her eyes as she leaned against the side in a sigh of relief and to her surprise, Lucius had joined beside her. She used this moment to lean her head against his and with that the two simply relaxed in the bath.


“I love you, Celestia,”


The Princess almost choked when his quiet breath reached her ears which flicked instantly in his direction. Her eyes wide as she turned to see his head lolled onto the edge of the bath obviously in complete bliss. She watched him for a moment as one of his eyes opened to look back at her.


Lucius drank in the violet orbs that gazed at him with both love and astonishment. He was no longer in the mood for formality or what the gods wanted. His two hands breached the waters surface to grasp the side of Celestia's head and pulled her in to plant his lips on hers.


Her wings shot out in pleasurable surprise as Lucius fought the will to laugh.


He broke the kiss and relaxed back once more against the edge of the large bath. Celestia still in slight shock, placed her head against the nook of his neck and gave out a content sigh.


“If I knew getting you to love me would require striking down a God, I'd have done so sooner,”


To that, Lucius gave Celestia's flank a quick pinch which earned him a small 'Eep!'