• Published 4th May 2012
  • 779 Views, 21 Comments

The Mysterious Mare Do Hell - Flurshy



All is normal until a very important pony turns up dead.

  • ...
4
 21
 779

Chapter 2

Note: So I said I'd have this ready in a week, and I gave it to you in a day. I've had an amazing writing streak today. Most of the time, however, I won't be getting updates out this often. Just a foreword. Also, I'm almost certain this chapter will seem rushed. Then again, as they say, "You are your own worst critic." I hope you all enjoy chapter two of the Mare Do Hell.



"Citizens of Ponyville, we come here in solemn remembrance of the late Fluttershy..."

Ponies from all over town had come to pay their respects to Fluttershy. Weeping and tissues were abound; Fluttershy's kindness had gained her the respect of many. Many, including...

"Trixie! What are you doing here?" Twilight Sparkle stood before the blue mare, on her gaurd, giving the fellow unicorn a glare.

"Even the Great and Powerful Trixie has respect for the dead, Twilight. But I wouldn't expect you to know that, being a simple Ponyville pony."

"Now you watch it! I don't want you trampling on Flutter--"

"What'n tarnations is goin' on here?" Applejack butted in, coming up to the pair.

"Oh, Twilight here was just asking how the I'm doing. And you are..... Applejack, correct?"

"Mhmm. You uh.... learn yer lesson last time you showed up here?"

"Why of course! The I'm not one to be stubborn, as I'm sure you know."

"Uh-huh," Applejack gave a doubting look. "Well, Ah'm sorry you had to show up at a time like this, what with our.... losses.... 'n'all."

"Oh, I don't mind. I actually came to pay my respects for Fluttershy."

"You did, did you? Well, you got a place to stay?"

"Why, yes. Thank you for asking. Travelling ponies do have wagons sometimes, you know."

"Alright, then."

Celestia spoke up now, surprising all three mares as they hadn't known she was nearby. "Twilight Sparkle, I need to have a meeting with you and your friends in the library, immediately."

*-*-*-*

"So let me get this straight, you think Fluttershy was murdered?" Rarity spoke for all five of the surprised ponies.

Celestia nodded solemnly. "There were bruises on her body that should not have been there. Twilight, I'd like you to accompany me to Fluttershy's house. I need to do some investigations."

"Okay, Princess."

"Good. I want all of you to be on your gaurd. If it really was murder, the killer may still be out there."

Pinkie Pie shuddered a little. "Why would anypony want to do such a thing to nice good kind Fluttershy?" Pinkie's hair was flat, as opposed to its usual poofyness.

Celestia sighed. "I don't know, my little pony. Twilight, let's go."

*-*-*-*

Fluttershy's house was creepier on the second visit. Most of the chickens had either fought to death or found a hole in the fence and escaped. The various few animals that couldn't escape lay still in their cages and houses, and the air was still and quiet. Deathly quiet. Twilight shuddered, though Celestia seemed unfazed.

It having been two weeks since Fluttershy had been found dead, her old house was beginning to look more abandoned. One of the shutters was hanging only from the upper hinge. The door creaked as they entered. Fluttershy had always made sure to keep it greased and quiet. Her old couch was collecting dust fast. Most noticeable, however, was the smell. Something dead had been left to rot in here. Twilight looked around, quickly finding the source of the smell. It almost made her puke when she saw it: A familiar rabbit, laying dead on the kitchen floor. Angel. Apparently the poor rabbit must have stayed around, in denial of the fact that his caretaker was dead. Starved to death. Perhaps it was his choice; perhaps he simply couldn't handle being without her around.

Twilight's train of thought was broken, along with her stare, when the rabbit's body glowed with magic and began to float. She shook her head to bring her attention back to reality. Celestia could tell that she was still dealing with the loss of her friend by the dazed, awestruck look on her face. "Princess, we need to have a funeral for Angel, too."

"Certainly."

About half an hour later, they had finished burying Angel in Fluttershy's back yard and paying their respects. Returning to the task at hand, Celestia took the lead in climbing the stairs to Fluttershy's bedroom.

"I... I'm still not sure I want to see what's in there, Princess."

"Relax. It's just a room, Twilight," Celestia said, opening the door with a glow of her horn.

The inside was just the same as it had been left. The sheets were still a mess, the stool on the floor still upturned. The only thing different was that the ropes had been laid on the bed, which was the Princess's doing.

Celestia stepped into the room and looked around. She walked over to the trashbin in far corner of the room, looking into it.

Twilight watched from just outside the door's threshold as the Princess levitated what looked to be a bunched up rag from the trashbin. The Princess looked at it closely for a few seconds. "Hmm.... this rag looks like it was used for a gag. I should say it might be something kinky, except that if it were, it should not be in the trash. Twilight, any ideas?" The Princess obviously knew what the rag indicated, but she wanted her student to give input.

"A gag?" Twilight finally entered the room, looking closely at the rag. "Yes, yes it does. Hmm.... if I were a murderer in the night, I'd want my victim to be quiet, wouldn't you? But then, why bother removing this after the deed was done? Perhaps....." Her eyes widened.

"Perhaps it was made to look like suicide!"

*-*-*-*

"But why in Equestria would anypony want to make that look like suicide? Ah' mean, besides even askin' why anypony would wanna do it to Fluttershy of all ponies," Applejack posed, walking over to the hot tub and climbing in. It was spa day for the mane... five, as it were now.

"What are you ponies talking about?"

All five of them turned their heads in surprise, all speaking in unison. "Trixie?"

The blue unicorn was without her hat and cape; this was a spa, after all. She walked forward and climbed into one of the hot tubs as she spoke. "Fancy seeing you all here. I couldn't help but notice you were talking about dear Fluttershy. It's such a shame she of all ponies should die."

Twilight Sparkle gave Trixie a wary look for a second. "Yeah, we were. Not that it pertains to you."

Trixie sighed. "Right. I'll just leave you ponies alone, then. I guess..."

Rarity spoke up. "Now wait just a minute! Just because we may have had a conflict in the past doesn't mean we can't become friends now!"

Trixie smiled. "Thanks, Rarity."

*-*-*-*

Applejack woke up early the next morning to get an early start on her daily apple bucking. Before that, though, she needed to restock the trough for the pigs with hay. She headed for the barn as the sun began to rise.

A few minutes later, Big Mac woke up. After getting washed up, brushing his teeth, and having a quick breakfast, he went out to check on his sister.

She wasn't to be seen bucking apples. Remembering that she'd sometimes feed the pigs before beginning on the orchard, Big Mac went over the the pig pen. The trough was empty. He headed towards the barn, beginning to worry.

When he opened the barn doors, the sight he saw caught him off gaurd. The well-known Mare Do Well had Applejack pinned to the wall with magic. A rope muzzle was over his sister's snout, and she looked scared out of her wits.