• Published 4th May 2012
  • 778 Views, 21 Comments

The Mysterious Mare Do Hell - Flurshy



All is normal until a very important pony turns up dead.

  • ...
4
 21
 778

Chapter 1

Twilight yawned, stretching in her sleeping bag. "Ah... a wonderful morning." She looked over to Rainbow Dash's sleeping bag, which was a jumbled mess with a big lump in the middle of it all. She chuckled a little and climbed out of her own, heading over to the kitchen to grab a quick snack. She could see Celestia's morning sun peeking at the horizon through the kitchen window.

Rainbow Dash had told her the night before that she needed to be out the door about an hour after the sun rose, because Fluttershy was expecting her that morning. Having a bit of time till then, she nabbed the book she'd been reading lately and opened it up to the marked page.

Dash woke up of her own accord about half an hour after the sun had risen. Twilight looked up from her book long enough to give her a goodbye as she left, before returning to her reading of the latest in the Daring-Do series.

*-*-*-*

"Spike, take a letter:

"Dear Princess Celestia,
"This week I've learned that everypony, even the more adventurous of us, has fears of some sort or another, and that sometimes we need somepony to share th--"

Twilight was interrupted by a blue blur bolting through the door and tumbling into her. She and the blur tumbled along the floor past Spike, crashing into a bookcase and knocking all the books on top of them.

Twilight groaned, sticking her head out of the pile of books and performing a restoration spell to heal her bruises. Rainbow Dash stuck her head out a few moments later, a look of shock on her face.

"T-T-Twilight! She... and I.... but....!"

Twilight cocked a brow. "Woah, slow down a bit, Rainbow Dash. What's the matter?"

"It's Fluttershy! Sh-she's dead!"

*-*-*-*

Coming up to the cottage outside of town, Twilight noticed a significantly abnormal state of abandonment in Fluttershy's yard. Not a chirp or squirrel sound could be heard, and the only animals to be seen were those that couldn't run off on their own, like the chickens, who were starting to fight each other in the coup. Rainbow Dash trailed ahead anxiously, having to fly in circles to keep from leaving Twilight in the dust.

"This place has never looked this sad," Twilight mused, walking along to the door. Rainbow Dash opened it ahead of her and they entered.

"So where did you say you found her?"

Rainbow Dash pointed to the stairs leading up to Fluttershy's bedroom before beginning to cry. Twilight climbed them and looked to her crying friend. Rainbow Dash crying was not normal, she thought, before opening the door with a glow of her horn and seeing the sad sight within.

On the floor lay a stool knocked onto its side. Twilight looked up a little, to see that Fluttershy's bedsheets were a mess, rather uncharacteristic of her. The thing that caught her as her gaze moved further up, however, was the body of Fluttershy hanging by the neck from a rope noose.

She gasped, slamming the door shut and running down the stairs. "Great Celestia! I-I wouldn't expect FLUTTERSHY to do this.... Rainbow Dash, did you notice a note lying around anywhere? Any reasons she might have done this?"

"N..." Dash sniffed, wiping her nose with the tissue in her hand. "No... but I didn't take time t-to look around eithe-er..."

"Could you help me look?" Twilight walked into the kitchen and glanced around the table and counters. Nothing. She looked at the fridge. Again, nothing.

"Nothing in the l-living room." Rainbow Dash still seemed to be crying as she searched.

Twilight sighed. She hated to admit it, but somepony was going to have to go look in Fluttershy's bedroom.

"Rainbow Dash, you keep searching. I'm going to write a letter to the Princess."

*-*-*-*

"Certainly, Princess Celestia. I look forward to it," Cadence finished, before leaving the Princess to her thoughts. Her 'thoughts' were short-lived, however, as a letter appeared in a puff of green fire before her. She lifted it up with a glow of her horn and began to read it.

"Dear Princess Celestia:
It would seem that I will have to postpone giving you my friendship report for this week. We need your help in ponyville right away. Fluttershy is dead.
Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle."

The doors burst open, a panting gaurd stopping to catch his breath. "Y... Your Highness, there's an emer--Your Highness?" He looked around the room; she was gone, a letter on the floor before her throne.

*-*-*-*

With a flash of magic, Princess Celestia appeared in Twilight's library. Twilight reeled back, caught a bit off gaurd, as Spike crash into a bookcase and was buried in a pile of books.

"Princess! I knew you'd get here fast but I didn't expect you to show up this fast!"

"This is serious business, Twilight. Can you please show me where you found her?"

"Surely."

*-*-*-*

Rainbow Dash hadn't done any more searching since Twilight had left. When she and the Princess came in, Dash had relapsed to crying on the couch.

She looked up at them and saw the Princess give her a sympathetic look before moving on up the stairs. Twilight gestured to Fluttershy's bedroom door before backing up, not wanting to see the inside again.

Stepping inside, she took a quick look around, before addressing the elephant in the room. Coming closer to Fluttershy's limp, hanging body, she looked the poor mare over. Besides the obvious ropes around her neck and wings, something that caught the Princess's attention was that there were bruises in a few places, such at just above her forehooves.

Something was up. If this were suicide, there should be no bruising. Also suspicious was the lack of a note, and the fact that Fluttershy had plans for the day with Rainbow Dash. Celestia decided to go ask Dash a few things, heading downstairs, though not before removing the mare's ropes and laying her on the bed.

"Twilight, go get Rarity to help you move Fluttershy's..... well, just go get Rarity. Also, go fetch Applejack while you're at it, please."

"Sure thing, Princess." Twilight trotted out.

"Rainbow Dash, what was the last thing Fluttershy said to you?"

Dash's crying had reduced to whimpering shudder-hiccups by now, making it easier for her to answer. "That last thing she said? Umm... -hic- She said she was looking forward to seeing me today... -hic- And that....." Dash began to blush. "Do I have to tell? -hic-"

Celestia nodded, now close to the mare in an attempt to further calm her down.

"She said.... she would be glad.... -hic sniff- to be my marefriend....."

Celestia blushed a light shade of pink at this. She hadn't meant to intrude on Rainbow Dash's privacy. "Was that all?"

"Y-sniff-yes...."

"Thank you Rainbow Dash. And don't worry, I won't tell anyone that last bit. Your secret's safe with me." Celestia winked, hoping to reassure the poor mare.

*-*-*-*

"Sweetie Belle, can you come down and help me with this dress?"

"Sure thing, sis, just hang on a sec!"

Rarity rolled her eyes. Her little sister didn't appreciate fashion as much as she herself did.

"Sorry for making you wait, sis. I was finishing up a project for school."

"Oh really? What sort of project? Oh, and I need you to stand here a bit for me," she said, gesturing to an open space beside her.

Somewhere in the middle of her working a knock came at the front door. "Hang on Sweetie Belle, let me get the door."

Sweetie Belle, who was in a position of standing on two opposite hooves, winced. She wouldn't be able to hold her balance much longer.

Rarity opened the door to find a distressed-and-tired-looking Twilight Sparkle. "Yes, Twilight?"

Twilight took a moment to catch her breath. "Urgent.... Fluttershy.... she's--" Twilight looked into the boutique to see Sweetie Belle falling to the floor into a mess of fabrics and ribbons, then lowered her voice to a whisper. "Fluttershy's dead."

In the bushes off to the side a mysterious cloaked figure rushed off, towards Everfree Forest.