• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 866 Views, 34 Comments

Agents of F.R.I.E.N.D. - PeppyJoe



In the wake of Tirek's return, the Equestrian nobility faces the reality that the nation's security hinges on the power of six mares. They charter a secret organization to defend Equestria from that which threatens it, by any means necessary.

  • ...
3
 34
 866

8. Mirror

Untold millenia ago...
It was a big day for Glimmer Swirl, and she'd nearly slept right through it. She had worked extremely hard in honing her magical ability, and it had paid off; she'd been accepted to join the first Circle of Solar Mages. She would be casting alongside the Arch-Mage himself. She might even meet Prince Tungsten! It was for this reason that she forgot all semblance of propriety as she ran and teleported through the streets of Lavoisier. She simply couldn't afford to be late.

Coming out of one final teleport and slowing to a trot, she called out to the guards ahead of her, "I do beseech thee, fair gentlestallions, permit me enter that I may away to the Arch-Mage's chamber!" It briefly occurred to her that their language seemed inefficient somehow, but the thought soon passed.

"What matters have you with he? His Lordship bade us deny all visitors this day."

"My matters are his, and my business as well. Render me to him if you will, but delay me not!"

"Proceed, then. Stars make your presence and practices pleasant and helpful to him." Glimmer wasted no time rushing past them after that, and after a brief confusion regarding where she needed to be, stepped quietly through the doors of the casting chamber and took her position.

After a moment of waiting and preparation, she saw Prince Tungsten enter the chamber. He looked around solemnly, with just a glint of unbridled enthusiasm hidden behind his expression. "Mares, stallions, each of you this day knows our most prodigious purpose. If successful, every creature that walks this planet and touches its skies shall know our might." He paused, a slight smile gracing his face. "Lavoisier shines brightly over our kingdom—now let us command the night."

Things moved quickly after that. The Arch-Mage entered, and deposited the Artifact—a small, clear orb—on a central pedestal. He took his position, made eye-contact with everyone, and gave an assuring nod. The blinds were pulled back, revealing the outside world.

The Arch-Mage said, "Beg-" and then coughed. The moment seemed a bit less tense after that. "Excuse me. Begin."

At once, sixteen horns lit up. Sixteen minds focused on the task—the simplest task. Every foal could do this, and every mare and stallion in the room had done it countless thousands of times. Now, they simply needed to do it bigger. Each pony kept their minds off the orb in the center of the room, ignoring it, thinking only of the task. Their horns, one by one, burst into layers of overglow as their bodies strained against the impossible.

"And mar-"


All of Lavoisier fell silent, as did the surrounding countryside. Villages, dozens of miles away, fell silent. As a single unit, all life throughout and surrounding the great city simply ceased. If somepony had been present, they might have noticed the spherical gem, still on its pedestal, glistening slightly.


It was a big day for Glimmer Swirl, and instead she'd died.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long delay! I made a blog-post with a bit more info on that, but suffice to say that we're back on track. This is just a little appetizer of a chapter to get the story back on people's radar, but there will be a more substantial update tomorrow and on a recurring basis thereafter.