• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 6,075 Views, 96 Comments

Don't Tell Me You're Too Blind To See - Shaud



Things don't always work out the way we plan. Plans tend to fall through when it comes to certain things. Somethings--Ugh! Love! I'm talking about love! Help me! I'm Sunset Shimmer and I'm in love with-

  • ...
8
 96
 6,075

Never Gonna Run Around And Desert You

Sunset huffed and crossed her arms as Rainbow guffawed. They had to take Rarity to the nurse's office, and the fashionista had yet to wake back up.

Several times Rainbow had looked like she was about to stop and say something, but then she would look at Sunset and start laughing all over again. She was practically on the floor in laughter, and her face was bright red. Sunset scowled and resisted the urge to punch her.

Fluttershy sat next to Rarity, but she kept an eye on Sunset as well. She felt torn, as she knew both of her friends needed help. She didn't know what she could do for Sunset, though, except offer a small, sympathetic smile. Applejack, however, looked cross.

"Honestly, Sunset. Why are we even in this situation?" The country girl asked with a roll of her eyes.

"Hey," Sunset countered, "You guys wanted to know! Haven't you ever heard "Curiosity killed that cat"?" She shifted her wait and glared at Applejack, "Rarity was the worst, too! She should have been prepared for anything." Applejack's comment stung, and Sunset only knew how to react callously. She didn't really think Rarity deserved any kind of bad treatment, but her doubts slowly began to creep back into her mind.

"You're the one in love with yourself!" Applejack grimaced, "If ya hadn't fallen in love with your clone we wouldn't have to worry about this!"

An extra loud laugh from Rainbow made both of them jump, and all eyes turned to the blue girl that was kneeling on the floor in laughter. Applejack snickered, and Sunset felt herself flare up. She snarled a bit and turned back to Applejack.

"Ohhh, so sorry to have been an inconvenience!" Fluttershy whimpered but Sunset didn't take her eyes off of Applejack. Said girl sneered back. Sunset, despite not being a pony or having magic, felt the familiar feeling of raised hackles and the burning pressure of her body wanting to release magic. A dim place in the back of her mind told her that Applejack was her friend, but her judgement was becoming cloudy.

"Oh, come on, git off'it!" Applejack said as she crossed her arms, "Ah can hardly even believe this story is true. How do we know ya didn't make it up?"

"Make it up?!" Sunset tried not to screech--the nurse had left them alone for the time being but that could change at any time--"You think I'd just make something like this up?!" The idea stung, and she hoped her friends wouldn't fight her on this. She needed their support, not that she would say it.

"Ah dunno! It's 'bout as likely!"

"Right, me flat-out lying about something like this is as likely as it happening."

"Well--" Rainbow chuckled uneasily from her position on the floor, more calm after seeing her friends fight, "She has a point, Sunset. Not that you're a liar, but--"

"Ya are an attention-seeker."

The room went silent at Applejack's accusation. Rainbow and Fluttershy cringed, and even Applejack looked like she regretted her word choice. However, the blonde didn't move an inch as she stared Sunset down. Sunset, on the other hand, had a blank face. Here blue eyes sparkled with the barest hint of emotion, but she dared not show it. Instead she lifted her chin and said "Like I need your opinion."

She turned swiftly and walked out of the room. The door slammed behind her and made Rarity jolt straight up. After a moment's confusion she glanced at her friends' faces and said, "What? Something on my face?"


"That was a horrible idea." Sunset whimpered to herself as she trudged towards her apartment. Apartment was a generous word for the one room hobble that was her home, but she had enough to mope about at that moment. School was still in session, so she just prayed that she wouldn't be seen by anyone. The last thing she needed was someone getting a bright idea and reporting her.

The red-head tried not to cry as she replayed the scene with her friends again and again in her head. She tried to sneer and growl the sadness away, but she didn't have the heart. She was sad, and lonely, and she had screwed everything up.

Maybe AJ's right. She sighed as she struggled to open her front door, This must be all my fault. My friends wouldn't just turn on me without good reason. She rubbed the side of her face with one hand and closed the front door with the other. She tossed her bag onto her kitchen table and threw herself onto the couch.

She laid there for a while and felt her anger and sadness slowly fade into numbness. She buried her face in the couch and once more tried not to cry. She felt bitterness and resentment begin to bubble up inside her, and it scared her. She wanted to blame herself, but she also wanted to blame Applejack. And of course if Rarity hadn't fainted it wouldn't have been a problem...

Or maybe I'm just the problem. She sighed and turned onto her back to face the ceiling. I make people unhappy. They just aren't... Safe around me. She clenched her jaw and slowly exhaled as a feeling of self-hate almost consumed her. Her friends were probably right; she caused more trouble than anything.

Then she remembered Rainbow's reaction. It was closer to the expected one; laughing. Rainbow had almost laughed herself sick when she fully processed what Sunset had said. She thought it was a joke--or worse, that the very idea was just that funny. Sunset had to admit, it was comical. And unlikely, for sure. But that level of Rainbow's laughter made her feel sick.

Did that mean loving Shimmer was wrong, though? Often the thought that others wouldn't approve was on her mind. But then she wondered... If she should approve. Her friends thought it was a joke, and with recent revelations being as they were.

"It doesn't really matter if I like her..." Sunset whispered to herself, "She's in danger around me. I'm a joke."

Her mood shifted for a while longer: her anger at Applejack, her humiliation at the thought of Rainbow, and her all-consuming love at the thought of Shimmer...

She didn't try to go to sleep, but she soon found herself dozing off. Her dreams were haunted by the sound of Applejack screaming and Rainbow laughing, and somewhere in that mess was a whisper of power, a promise for more... Dreams of fire and magic filled her mind as her body became slick with sweat and tears. Even in sleep she couldn't escape the cascade of emotions.

Her sleep was so deep that she missed Shimmer's call. And the second one. And the third. And the call from Applejack (which would have been an apology, should she have chosen to wake up.)

She didn't hear any of them, so far gone was she. She didn't have the willpower to wake up just then, or to face any of them. Her body just shut down, though her mind continued to work frantically. Nightmare after nightmare flashed through her tortured mind, and she was oblivious to her friends' concerns.

She woke up the following morning with ten messages on her phone, and a sick feeling in her gut.

Author's Note:

An update?!

Don't look at me, I'm just as surprised as you are :O

In other news, the first two chapters of this, imho, suck :P But I'm too lazy to go back and fix them. Hopefully the chapters from here on out are better!