• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 6,071 Views, 96 Comments

Don't Tell Me You're Too Blind To See - Shaud



Things don't always work out the way we plan. Plans tend to fall through when it comes to certain things. Somethings--Ugh! Love! I'm talking about love! Help me! I'm Sunset Shimmer and I'm in love with-

  • ...
8
 96
 6,071

Never Gonna Let You Down

Two Months Prior

Sunset's life was never particularly easy. She grew up in a group home in Canterlot before she became Princess Celestia's student, and even as a student her life was full of difficulties. Her insecurities made her hesitant to try new things or make new friends, and eventually she gained enough power to make herself think that those insecurities were strengths. She didn't want to make friends because she didn't need them.

Once she thought about it, many of her problems were caused by her own beliefs, and not Celestia's teachings like she originally thought.

Sunset sighed as she reflected on the royal mess that was her life. She sat at the back of a cafe in downtown Canterlot, and sulked silently. She had her collar pulled up so that it hid half of her face, and she crossed her arms. She scowled at the blonde waitress that attempted to take her order and was successfully left alone.

Old habits die hard.

"I hear you gave Pine a hard time." An even yet irked voice interrupted her thoughts and made her jump. She looked up at the person standing before her and couldn't help but gasp. When the other person saw her she, too, was surprised. They stared at each other for a moment before the newcomer slowly eased herself into the booth opposite Sunset.

"Who are you?"

"Eheh. Would you believe I'm you?" Sunset honestly had no better response. What was there to say? "Oh, yeah, I'm your alternate-dimension counterpart, just hanging out in apparently the cafe you hang out in."?

Sunset was surprised that she had met her self from this world. Really, what were the chances of meeting her at a small cafe? Apparently fairly great. So she told this Sunset (who conveniently went by Shimmer) the truth: From her leaving Equestria up until the events of the Battle of the Bands. Shimmer, for her part, remained quiet except for the occasional question or observation.

When Sunset was done, Shimmer didn't say anything.

"So... What do you think?" Sunset asked harshly, a cover for her fear. She was a bit nervous that this girl wouldn't believe her. Or, worse, call her crazy.

"Well," Shimmer seemed to weigh what she was about to say, "I guess I believe you, for the most part. You see, my friend Sparky has been studying that school for a while..."

Shimmer, in turn, told her about Sparky (Twilight Sparkle), who had sensed a large disturbance near that school several months before. Shimmer herself was quicker to believe in Supernatural happenings, while Sparky seemed more insistent on a scientific explanation.

"Well," Sunset smirked, "Now you can tell her you were right."

Shimmer blushed, "Ah, well, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but she will certainly find some answers now, at least."

At that moment, both girls realized how different they were. While Sunset was bold and brash, only slightly outwardly affected by her insecurities, Shimmer was the opposite: Shy and insecure with a bit of a short fuse.

Sunset had a feeling that was because one of them had Celestia, and the other hadn't. But was that a good thing? From Sunset's point of view it became apparent that Celestia could take at least some blame in her turning into, well, her.

They kept talking for a while after that, eager to learn about each other. Some patrons and the staff gave them odd looks, but neither minded. By the end of the night they had become fast friends, and Sunset wanted to laugh at the irony that she had befriended her alternate self without actually liking herself.

They swapped numbers and promised to meet up some time soon before going their separate ways. Sunset never would have expected making a friend so quickly; it had taken being nearly blown up to make friends with the others. She was surprised it was so painless that time.

They met again a few days later, and almost every day the week after, before finally they agreed to meet every day after school.

About a month into this friendship Sunset was sitting at the lunch table with her friends when Rarity pointed out that she looked smitten. At first confused, Sunset realized it was true. She had fallen in love with Shimmer. With herself.

She didn't waste much time telling Twilight this, in desperation. The princess told her that she should really discuss it with Shimmer herself, along with some rather awkward advice and offers to ask Celestia what to do.

Sunset nearly went insane in the process of telling Shimmer. When she finally did, however, she was glad.

"I, well," Sunset ran a hand through her hair, "I like you. Like, a lot. And I... I don't know what that says about me for one thing." She tried to joke.

Shimmer was surprised at the confession. "Wow, I... I don't know what to say." She blushed and looked away. Sunset thought she saw a smile on her face.

"...Do you like me?" She raised a brow when Shimmer's smile grew.

"I... I might." The more timid of the two said, "I wanted to say something, but I was afraid to."

This was too perfect, or at least Sunset thought so. Then again, in a way it kind of made sense to love someone who was supposed to be you, didn't it?

"So... What do we do?" Sunset sighed, "This isn't exactly conventional."

"Why don't we just... Take it as it goes?" Shimmer offered, "Keep it between us for a while. If you want to! We could tell your friends, if you wanted..." She smiled shyly, and Sunset found herself smiling back.

"Okay."

Present Day

Sunset giggled as she listened to Shimmer tell her about the Twilight of this world. This Twilight, Sparky, seemed to be on the crazy side, something common among Twilights, they decided. At first Sunset thought that Celestia made her students crazy, but either that wasn't so or Twilight was just... Destined for crazy.

As much as she hated to admit it, she expected the latter.

"So..." Shimmer hummed, running her fingers through Sunset's hair, "What about your friends?"

"We're driving Rarity crazy." Sunset chuckled, leaning into her girlfriend's touch, "She's been dying to know who you are. She actually thought I might have been dating Twilight."

"There's an idea." Shimmer giggled. She paused for a moment before asking, "Do you know when you want to tell them?"

Sunset sighed, "Well, they're going to be poking their noses in some time soon. I'd rather not wait so long that they find out on their own, y'know? It's like the set up for a bad sitcom."

"I understand."

"Did you want to tell them?"

"Well... I agree that we should tell them before they find out."

"Hmph. Copy-cat."

"I know, we're so similar. It's strange, no?"

"..."

"You love me."

"Don't remind me."

They giggled, and Sunset looked at her girlfriend. "Well, I think Pinkie said something about a party tomorrow afternoon... I could tell them at lunch tomorrow, and see if they want to meet you at the party?"

"Are you sure? You don't have to tell them alone."

"I don't want to bring myself as back up, though." Sunset chuckled

Shimmer gave a wane smile. "That's a good point. I'm not very good backup anyways."

Sunset kissed her girlfriend's cheek tenderly, unsure of what to say. It was true that Shimmer was a bit... shy, and totally different than Sunset. But Sunset didn't want the girl getting down on herself because of that. It kind of hurt her when Shimmer said such things about herself. In Sunset's opinion, Shimmer was amazing. However, as it seemed to be a trend among them, Shimmer thought the opposite of herself.

I wonder if there's anything I can do to boost her self esteem... Sunset thought to herself

They chatted for a while longer before Shimmer got a text and suddenly had to go.

"Sparky wanted me to come in and work late in the lab tonight," She sighed, "So I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow." Sunset hugged the other girl and they parted for the night. She sighed when she was left alone once again.


The next day Sunset got up and was ready for school an hour early, mainly due to nerves. She was nervous about telling her friends about her... unconventional relationship. She honestly had no idea how they would react, and it scared her. She had gotten so used to knowing how people would react, and what their weaknesses were. With these girls, however, she had no idea.

The day dragged on, yet at the same time it went by too fast. She found herself at her lunch table far sooner than she wanted to be.

"Okay." Sunset said with a finality that made her friends look at her. She gulped at the sudden attention before she remembered that was what she wanted. Duh.

"Well, uh." Her mouth seemed stuck as she tried to continue. Her swallowed her nerves. "Well, about that person I'm seeing..."

Rarity's eyes lit up, and she leaned forward, eager to finally hear the information. The others leaned forward, too, but Rarity seemed about to implode.

"It's, uh, kind of a sensitive topic...?"

"You're among friends here." Fluttershy assured her. Pinkie and Applejack nodded in agreement. Rainbow muttered something and rolled her eyes.

"Well, okay. So this person is kinda... Well, I'm not really sure that I should like her." Sunset hesitated and rubbed the back of her neck. "I mean, she's great and all. She's probably my best friend outside of you guys. But, considering who she is... I haven't wanted to say anything, because I was afraid you guys would agree that I shouldn't be with her."

"The only way we would think that was if she was abusive." Rainbow tossed the statement at Sunset, who looked surprised.

"Agreed." Rarity nodded, "Who you date is your business, not ours, anyways."

Sunset took in a final breath. "Okay. Now, I'm completely serious when I say this, okay?" She gave Rainbow and Pinkie pointed looks, and they both nodded.

She said the next line as fast as possible. "I'm in the interesting situation of having fallen in love with this universe's version of me."

Pinkie's eyes about popped out of their sockets, and Rarity fainted dramatically.

Just kill me now.