• Published 17th Dec 2014
  • 1,223 Views, 129 Comments

A Scratch at Romance - Midnight Ice Cream



Octavia is really really bloody bored with her mundane life at school. She doesn't care about the everyday intrigues of life. But then the thing we all knew was going to happen happens. Eyyup this is an Octo Scratch fic. Hope it's not over generic...

  • ...
5
 129
 1,223

Father Daughter Conversation

My worries are interrupted upon my entrance. Father is sitting at the breakfast table, sipping a glass of water and occasionally taking the odd piece of fruit from a bowl, “Ah, Octavia. How was your walk?” He gestured for me to sit down.


“I very much enjoyed it, Father. But if you’ll give me a moment, I forgot to pack any breakfast, so I’m starving.”

“But of course.”

“Where’s Mother?” I ask, as I make my way to the kitchen.

“Oh, some work-based nonsense. I’ve told her that she should never sacrifice her weekends. I ran into that mistake before. I say, what is the point of making money if you don’t have time to enjoy it?”

“Hear, hear,” I agree before walking into the kitchen, “Work be damned.”

I emerge a few minutes later carrying an assortment of fruits and a salad sandwich, “So tell me, what happened?” Father asks as I return.

“Well, we went for a long walk into the mountains. It lead us to the riverbank, you know the one?”

“Probably. Is it the one you discovered when you were little?”

“That’s the one.”

“I remember, it was just after you got your cutie mark. Then you wanted to write some music by the river. Might I add that your compositions at the time were quite awful?”

“No need to remind me, it was all a badly done rip off. But I maintain that the river is certainly worth writing about, Father.”

“I think you should. How did erm whatsername, yes Vinyl find it?”

“She was in awe, never seen anything like it before.”

“Well, that’s to be expected. This is what happens when one is cramped up in the city for their whole life. I cannot abide by cities, I could only stomach a month at Manehattan university before coming back.”

“What was it like there?”

“I’m sure it’s different now, but it was a shithole. There’s simply no time for relaxation, one must always be looking stern and wanting something done. As for the nightlife, it was just too fast-paced, a party at least twice a week. Ghastly affairs. At the time, we were getting that rock music, terrible stuff. And those horribly childish teenagers, oh my. Always drinking and ruining any semblance of peace and quiet. I swear, during my stay there, I was sleep deprived the entire time.”

“So why did you go in the first place?”

“Well, I suppose it was for the excitement. I imagined being in the big city would be a whole lot less boring than Canterlot. I quickly discovered otherwise. I admire you for coming to that conclusion at such a young age, and with so little trouble.”

“Well, I would be interested in seeing it.”

“Oh, of course. As a tourist destination, it’s top notch. We should go for a day trip sometime. Maybe you could bring your friend too.”

“That sounds like a lovely idea for the future, but I’ve already got to get her used to Canterlot, nevermind getting me used Manehattan.”

“Naturally, Canterlot’s far better anyway.”

“I’ll take your word for it.”

“That’s my Octavia. So tell me, what is this Vinyl Scratch like?”

“You seem to really have taken an interest in her.”

“Well, she’s worthy of taking an interest in. I like to know what my daughter is doing, you know. I know I may not show it very much, but you have to understand, Octavia, that I am an awfully busy pony. If I could spend more time with you, I would.”

“Thanks, Father.”

“Pleasure. Now, tell me about Vinyl.”

“She’s just good company. In all honesty, I don’t know what to say about her. She’s very different. A punk, actually. But also very musical, sadly not the kind I’d normally enjoy, and something you’d actively despise. The main point is that she’s really nice, and we get along swimmingly.”

“That’s good. I do suppose opposites attract.”

“Indeed, half of our conversations is the typical Canterlot vs Manehattan banter.”

“I hope you represent our city well? And I dare say our music?”

“Isn’t that what I’ve been doing all morning?”

“That’s my Octavia. Still, I didn’t think that someone like that would be your ideal sense of good company?”

“Father, I’ll be honest, I don’t know what my normal type of company entails. One would have thought that I’d hang around with someone sim-”

“Is there anyone similar to you, though?”

“Vinyl is in all the important ways.”

“Oh?”

“We can both talk shit all day.”

“I’m very happy for you, Octy,” Father smiles a genuine smile, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you being so social.”

“I’ll admit, I’m quite the recluse. But Vinyl makes me happy.”

“And that makes me happy. I’ve always worried about you, Octavia, you always seemed a bit off. But I respect you enough not to force my help upon you when you tell me to bugger off.”

“Thanks, Father, but I’ve always found comfort in music over anything, and in insignificance.”

“Insignificance?”

“Well, that’s something I’ve only recently discovered, actually. Do you know Golden Tiara?”

“She’s the daughter of one of your mother’s work friends, isn’t she? I believe her mother is Silver Tiara?”

“That’s the one.”

“I will be honest here, Octavia, and confide a little secret,” Father leans in closely, speaking in a soft, quiet tone, “I cannot abide by that pony. When your mother came over here, she was very snooty. But when she effectively become a noble, Silver Tiara changed her tune. I cannot abide by those who don’t tolerate those of other classes. It gives the aristocracy a bad name, and it’s rude taboot,” He begins to trail off, “But I suppose your mother doesn’t mind it. If anything, she probably feels it’s her duty to prove herself to them. If you ask me, that’s just silly. Your mother has nothing to prove,” Pausing as if expecting a response, but receiving none, Father continues, “I think that’s what she wants with you. Hence the whole marrying Filthy Rich. She wants to solidify her position, you are our legacy.”

“And what do you think of the whole thing?”

“I’ll be honest,Octavia. The amount I care is very little, I was born into wealth, and I know that you are unfairly advantaged. As long as you live a good life, then I will consider my role fulfilled. I don’t claim to be the best father, but I consider it my duty to provide for my child.

“Thank you, Father.”

“Anyway, what was I talking about?”

“Golden Tiara.”

“Ah yes, how rude of me. You were talking about insignificance?”

“Well, when I used to feel troubled, I used to think it mattered, I used to see it as important. But at one point, Golden Tiara tried to insult me by undermining my problems. She had a point though, they are sometimes pretty insignificant, and I shouldn’t take the world too seriously.”

“I’d discredit her for insulting you, but I’m glad that that worked out well. I can imagine it’s quite relieving. I can empathise actually; at work it’s always good to know that I’m not solely responsible for every little thing. If I make a mistake, someone else can take the slack.”

“Exactly, feeling important is overrated.”

“It’s nice to a level, though. Don’t you enjoy being valued by Vinyl?”

“But of course.”

“It’s important with the right people. And for some, it’s important full stop. Take your mother. I think it depends upon the pony. With me, it will always be a good sense of security. I feel as if I have achieved that, and I see that you are similar.”

“I agree, and at the moment, I’ve got what I like. So I can’t really complain at all, can I?”

“You can, but if it would be a just complaint or not-”

“You know what I mean.”

To that, Father chuckled, “Of course. I think I was just getting carried away,” Our conversation paused for a moment, “Do you mind washing the dishes, Octavia?”

“Of course not, Father.”

“Good. After that, are you up for that walk? I know it’s a little early, but I think it’s a better idea than the evening.”

“If you wouldn’t mind, Father, I’d rather have a little doze before we go out.”

“Well, of course.”



*****

I regret that decision now. Mother has returned in time for tea, and it looks as if she’s planning on staying. If I should speak frankly, I’m not very fond of her. She means well, and I accept that. But I’ll be honest here and say that she’s not very approving of me doing, well, anything much. I’m sure if I were to go for a walk in her company, she’d spend the time asking cutting questions and judging Vinyl. Talking to Mother feels like a diplomatic mission more than what I imagine mother-daughter conversations are supposed to be like. I can’t say I approve at all. What does Father see in her, anyway? It would seem to me as if she cares more about her career and mine to be honest than any other form of well being. Nevermind, I shan’t complain, but it looks like I’ll be spending tonight with my cello.

And the following night. I just hope when I get to school tomorrow that Vinyl hasn’t taken offense at something. Could it have been the cold water? Maybe. I don’t know. I grab my blanket and hold it tightly, hoping for a good day. How I was able to go without friends, I have no idea, but returning to that is simply terrifying. As I descend into sleep, my thoughts are of Vinyl, and of not fucking up.

Author's Note:

I do apologise if there are any technical mistakes with this one. My editor hasn't been available. That might change though, but as of yet I've proofread it, but not much more.

This chapter was quite enjoyable to write. Probably the biggest dialogue wall I've ever written actually, I feel achieved. I'm enjoying fleshing out this family unit, I really think it explains a lot about Octavia's mentality. What do you all think? How did this chapter fare?

And now I believe my editor has a few notes of her own, that she's willing to share with you.

"I’m seeing a running trend here with the Lawful Evil mother and the Lawful Neutral father. I kindda want to smack Tavi’s mother across the face with a steel chair. At least her father is relatively nice and tolerable. But hey, Tavi’s got her blanky and her cello, so she’ll be okay until she has another type of fuzzball to hold at night. But, you know… Spoilers. SHHHHH!!!! No one needs to know that this is an OctaScratch fic, it’s a well-kept secret. No romance or cuddles here, folks. Go on home. And while you’re there, enjoy this chapter! ^^"

... How... How did you know? Did I really make it that obviouss? I'd have thoughht nobody could see past that? I'm going to cry in a corrner now folks. Ah well I suppose she forgot about the existence of previous cuddles. Maybe that's where she's getting these ludicrous ideas from. Either that or she's just psychic, and if so I'm okkay with that. Well as long as it's only with my literature. Actually I'm very slightly peeing my pants right now. That's a terrible thought, she'll edit all of my dreams. Blagh! I'm going to stop this AN now before I get any more scary ideas.

So I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did writing.

Midnight