• Published 17th Dec 2014
  • 1,223 Views, 129 Comments

A Scratch at Romance - Midnight Ice Cream



Octavia is really really bloody bored with her mundane life at school. She doesn't care about the everyday intrigues of life. But then the thing we all knew was going to happen happens. Eyyup this is an Octo Scratch fic. Hope it's not over generic...

  • ...
5
 129
 1,223

Only one bottle!

Chapter 2


Urgh, I do hate waiting for somepony. I’m sitting in The Concert Hall with a repulsive excuse for a flower sandwich. Quite the dilemma really, on one hoof I could start playing, and it be annoyingly interrupted by Vinyl; On the other, I'm bored out of my mind. Well I suppose I could be patient, and wait till something happens. So far that seems to have been a pretty good tactic.

This time I am interrupted far less awkwardly. “Hey!” I have to praise her. After that little contact, I'd be far less confident. “How ya doin'?”

I swallow what was in my mouth. “Same as before, you?”

“Lessons here are bo-ring.”

“What did you have?”

“I had biology.”

“Oh.” I said without much interest.

“Something wrong?” Vinyl walks up, and takes the seat beside me.

“Not at all, it's just you were right. Class is rather boring, to say the least. I don't even know why I asked that question. There's probably a million and one things to find interesting about you, Vinyl Scratch. But your school classes aren't on that list.” Conversing with Vinyl Scratch is pretty difficult. Those dodgy shades, really get in the way of eye contact.

“Yea that's true. But out of curiosity, what are yours?”

“Music obviously, history, and language. Yours?”

“Well music duh. You've probably seen me there, right?”

“In passing.”

“Biology, well I've said that. And magic, but I'm thinking of dropping that.”

“Unicorns my dear Vinyl, have a gift. You should use it.”

“Hey I do! It's just soooo boring! And your teacher sucks.”

“Fair enough...” I said blankly.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“No what? You seem annoyed.”

“No, no, sorry. Just a little hungover, and a little tired. I'm also at a loss on what to say. I could talk about the dullery of school. But that's just not something I'm interested in, and I don't think you are either. And I don't want to descend into the realms of stupid small talk. When you came in earlier, it was all spontaneous. But now I've been thinking of what to say all afternoon, and have come up with nothing. I'm just annoyed with how badly I'm faring socially.”

“Hey it's no problem. Just be yourself! No pressure.”

Vinyl and I sat there for a few moments. Awkwardly avoiding what little eye contact could be offered from under those shades. Way to kill a conversation Octy.

“Octavia?” Finally, that was more than needed.

“Yes?”

“What's the plan for this afternoon?”

“Well, firstly we wait till lunch is over. Then we'll make our way home. Unless you have any objections, I believe that mine will do. Either that or we could go watch a film? Or maybe I could treat you to a nice meal. I don't know, what takes your fancy?”

“Hey hey! No need to be so aggressive! I didn't think you Canterlot ponies were so upfront!”

“Ummm? Oh! Wait! What? No! Of course not!”

Vinyl roared with laughter. “Making you uncomfortable is so easy! It's an awesome hobby!”

I grunted in disdain. “So what do you fancy doing?”

“Well Octavia.” Oh shit, here we go. Time for her to take the piss out of my posh accent again, by doing a very poor impression. “I'd rather fancy doing you, if that's not a problem.”

“Well Octy, I sure think that making you uncomfortable would be friggin' awesome! And then I could be horribly homophobic on top of it!” I said, returning the mimic, with an equally poor impression.

“Hey! I'm lesbian! So I can't be homophobic!” Said Vinyl, she actually sounded serious. But then again, this is probably just mocking.

“Nah you're not. You're just saying that to make me uncomfortable aren't you?”

“Actually no! I am in fact a lesbian.”

Sweet Luna this is awkward. Do I believe her? Either way, the only way of finding out if I should feel guilty or not is to accept this. If she's lying she'll admit it and laugh. If it's truth, then she won't. “Okay, I believe you.” I say.

A few moments pass. “What?” I ask. “You're not going to say you're not one, to get on my nerves?”

“Nope.”

“So... Were you trying to flirt with me?”

“No, no of course not.” She says very quickly.

“Listen here Vinyl. I take that as a huge compliment. But quite frankly I'm not interested.”

“I wasn't trying to flirt with you! Celestia take a joke!”

“Okay...” Best let it slide.

Well this made things very awkward, very quickly. A few moments passed again in silence. “So?” I ask. Well there's no reason to let one awkward moment evolve into a ruined afternoon. “What do you fancy doing this afternoon?”

“Well, we could go to your place, maybe you could even share some of that wine for once.”

“Sounds lovely.”

As if on cue the bell rang. Welcoming an end to our lunch hour.

“Well then.” I say. “Shall we depart?”

“Awesome.”

********

Sneaking out of school is really easy. All one needs to do is tick off at the front desk, and walk out the back door. Rarely does anyone catch you. True if one hangs around really close to the school, one will get caught. But really, you deserve to get it, if you do something that stupid.

Fifteen minutes later, Vinyl and I were in my study. “Woah, nice!”


“I thank you.” I said in an attempt at modesty. The study, had on one side a wall length bookshelf, two sofas, and a few armchairs. On the other, was my cello, and an assortment of musical devices. And finally slap bang in the middle was my desk, which looked out over the mountains of Canterlot. “I’m so glad you like it. So might I get you anything?”

“Well I’mma gonna cut to the chase. We were talkin’ about wine?” Wow, now I didn’t expect that. Well who am I to judge such matters? I’ve not had friends since playdates when I was a child. So I suppose this is just the norm. Then again, I get a dodgy feeling from this.

“Of course, I was just concerned, isn’t it a tad early for alcohol?”

“Hey come on!” She gives me a strange look. “You know you wanna.” Fair point. It does sound like fun, surely no harm can come of it.

********

When I returned Vinyl was sitting on one of the sofas, looking at my library. “Oh hey!”

“Alright, remember, just one bottle. Enough to make things fun, but not enough to cause offense.”

“Hey sure thing Octavia!”

“Goodo then.” I pop open the bottle. “Oh um… Glasses… Just a minute.”

“Sure thing.”


********

Five minutes later, I had returned holding two glasses. Oh for fuck’s sake! She’s not is she? Seriously? She’s drinking from the bottle? I slam down the wine on the table. “One simply doesn’t do that!”

“Hey! What ‘sno big deal!”

“Urgh” I grumble slightly. “Alright.” Complaining isn’t going to solve anything. From what little I know about Vinyl, it’ll mean she’d continue doing that just to annoy me. But I can still get my revenge. I pour a slightly larger glass to myself.

“Cheers!” I offer. “To new friends.”

“To new friends.” We clink glasses together.

“So tell me Vinyl, what of your old ones?”

“Well…” Vinyl begins. “Our band was called The Paralytics. And that’s what we’d do. Every Friday night.” She slurps on her wine. “We’d go party!”

“Yes, but what does a party entail? Well a Manehattan one?”

“Well we’d go to the park, with a few bottles. Or if we could get away with it, a club. Sometimes we’d get lucky and somepony’s house would be free. Then we’d drink, and play music. It’s pretty simple actually.”

“Well, sounds rather straightforward.” I took a sip of my wine. “So, would this count?”

“I guess. But it’s kinda fancy though.”

“Well!” I huff. “Drink more! Now does that sound more familiar?”

Vinyl gives me a little salute, before downing her glass in one gulp, before making an exaggerated sigh. “Now you try!”

I take the glass, and stare into the black liquid. I take a breath, I’m really going to do this. What a waste of good wine. Well once more unto the breach. I bring it to my lips, and gulp it all down, not without a few horrible bits dribbling over my face. “Woah!” It’s strange how quickly it can hit you.”

“Yea!” Vinyl grabbed the bottle and poured another glass for both of us, this time filling the glass to the brim. I’d talk about how that’s against etiquette, but at least she’s using the bloody glass this time. “Well, heads up!”

“You know, wine shouldn’t be drunk like this.”

“Come on! You know you wanna.” Vinyl necks her second glass. Well she’s got a point. I do want to. Who cares, I’ve got plenty of good wine anyway. I neck my second glass almost instantly, and then another, and then another. But that was the last out of that bottle. So, I went to the cellar to get another bottle. What’s the point of one? I’m not drunk enough.

Five minutes later I was sitting there damning etiquette, and taking a good swig of that bottle. Because who needs glasses? Some stuck up Canterlot scum, that’s who! Not Octavia Melody! I’m open to new ideas. See I’ve got Vinyl! She’ll teach me. “Come on! Let us play some music.” I walk over to the cello, which is sitting in the corner, and start playing something upbeat.

“Yea!” Vinyl yells in appreciation.

This time, I don’t have any worries. Alright, I’m not playing half as well as I was earlier, but it’s all relative. And Vinyl doesn’t seem to mind. She’s just going with it. Oh Celestia, am I actually good? Or is she just humouring me? Can’t be, she’s dancing. I play a waltz, and she dances to it. “Hey come on! Join me?” She calls out. What a good idea. I put the cello on the floor and put on a record, “Best Waltzes of Equestria.”

Vinyl and I dance around the study. There is no need for talk. We simply move around to the will of the music. The only pause is in between songs in which we both take another swig of wine. Fuck common sense, who needs it when one has waltz and wine? The more wine we drink, the closer we come to fucking up. But who cares? If there are any consequences, they’re well worth this.

At the end of the final waltz we both collapse on one of the sofas. “Thank you Vinyl. That was really fun.”


“Hell yea!” She puts a foreleg around me. I don’t really mind if anything I quite like- oh fuck, she’s a lesbo isn’t she? Alright. This isn’t appealing anymore.

“Erm Vinyl. Didn’t you say you were a lesbian?”

“Yea?”

“Does this mean anything to you sexually?”

She takes a moment to think about that. “Oh yea. Sorry about that.” She takes her foreleg off me.

“It’s fine, just, just leave it the way it is. This is quite comforting. But no sex!”

“Sure. Anyway I kinda had a girlfriend for that. And I’m not quite over it. So I don’t think I’m sexually threatening. You should just be worried at how huggable you are.”

“Are you okay?”

Vinyl wrapped herself around me. “Yea I’ll be fine!”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“She just left me. Just like that. The moment I left Manehattan.”

“Ouch, as if that wasn’t hard enough.”

“I know right?” It feels as if she’s crying. Although I can’t be quite sure. “But she used to be so awesome. She’d just always know what to say. I know it sounds really sappy, but I miss her.”

I take myself out of her grasp, and hug her. “It’s okay.” She’s barely holding in those tears. “It’ll all be okay.” She mumbles something that sounds cynical. “You’ll survive without her. Anyway it can’t have been true love, since she left.”

“I know, but I still miss her. I wonder if she thinks of me?”

“I don’t know.”

“I hope she does.”

“I hope it’ll be okay.”

“Yea!” Vinyl pulls out of the embrace and paces forward, trying her best to stay upright. “I don’t need her anyway.”

“That’s the spirit!”

Vinyl paces the room. “I can do whatever I want! Canterlot is my oyster! And I don’t need no ex girlfriend!”

“Huzzah!”

“Fuck yea! Thank you Octavia.”

“An absolute pleasure Vinyl, you’re great company.” With that Vinyl returns to her seat on the sofa.

“Still… Could you, you know? Carry on hugging?”

“Not a problem.”

Vinyl and I cuddle up together in an embrace. I don’t think there’s anything sexual here. The feeling is just so innocent. We both need a little comfort and support, and a hug does a great deal in providing that. Soon enough, I begin to feel her breathing slow down, into the steady rising and falling of sleep. And soon enough I too am enveloped by the drunken embrace of Vinyl Scratch.


By the time the sky had began to dim, and the sun was making her way under the mountains. I was awaken, rather rudely I might add, by the door of my study opening. “Octavia Melody! I want an explanation now! And it had better be a bloody good one!”

Author's Note:

And here we go. Chapter 2 of this story. Uploaded at quarter past four in the morning. Not used to nocturnal sleep patterns, but I'm getting there.

I hope you all enjoyed this, as much as I enjoyed writing it. Or more to be honest, since in order to write this properly. I needed to have a few drinks myself. Now I don't know about you, but I hate editing. And when one has written a good half a chapter full of drunken ramblings, it needs to be regulated. Still, I think I did an alright job in the end. I hope so anyway. Next time Octy gets drunk, I think it would be in my best interest to stay sober. Nevertheless it was fun.

Anyway enough of these ramblings, they make me nervous. I think I might be progressing the story needlessly quickly. But then again, last time I wrote romance (not pony related at all). It was needlessly full of filler, and scenes that build up towards romance, without actually getting there. I swear, trying to write a romance novel is in some cases harder to get actual romance. Writing it means you have to make a moment just cheesy enough for people to think it's cute, and just realistic enough for people not to call you out on it. Well that's how I write it anyhow. I also don't think it helps that I have no concept of lust (well I do, but that's only through looking at it from an outside perspective). So it means I need constant consultation on how that fits into romance. See on my side, romance is only a very close friendship. Anyway enough of this. I'm just sharing my horribly written thoughts. Am I taking this too quickly? Or am I as Dad would always suggest "Saying it in less?" I just hope you lot enjoy it.