• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 916 Views, 14 Comments

Hearth's Warming Carol - pokefreak13

  • ...
0
 14
 916

The Ghost of Hearth's Warming Past

Diamond Tiara let out a groan and opened her eyelids slowly.

"Was I dreaming?" she muttered under her breath.

"Nope." a southern voice replied.

The mare quickly shot up and looked around her room. She was in her bed and the moonlight cast a gloomy glow in her bedroom. Diamond heard a laugh and shifted her eyes to a glowing filly.

The filly's body was a soft yellow, and her mane and tail were the richest of reds. A giant green and red stripped bow laid atop her head, while a snowy white cape decorated in holly and mistletoe was draped across her back.

"W-who a-are you?" the mare stuttered.

"Ta ghost ov Hearth Warming Past, though ya can call me Apple Bloom." the spirit replied happily.

Diamond Tiara was about to say something, however she thought better of it. This has got to be a dream, because she'd never sleep in a whole day! Much less before lunch time. Plus, everypony knows that ghosts don't exist. Well, she doesn't believe anyways.

"Now come on, ah wanna show ya something." Apple Bloom explained.

Slowly, Diamond scampered out of bed and trotted slowly over to the awaiting ghost. If this was her dream, better see what this ghost wants right?

With a satisfying nod, Apple Bloom stomped onto the wood floor as hard as she could and the room began to dissolve. Diamond cried out for her to stop, but that only made the filly's smile grow.

Soon the dark, cold bedroom was replaced with a dirt road and a small town filled with ponies in good spirits. Some were decorating trees or creating snow ponies; while others were baking holiday treats. Fillies and colts were playing in the snow and getting scolded by their mothers, or trying to sneak some baked goods that were cooling by an opened window.

"Remember tis place?" the ghost asked.

"Know it!? I lived here for nineteen years!" the mare exclaimed. "Why there's Carousal Boutique, Sugar Cube Corners, and the Golden Oak Library!" her eyes were gleaming with joy and excitement. For it's been ten years since she's been to Ponyville.

"Follow me." commanded Apple Bloom.

"But what if we're seen?" questioned the mare.

"This is all just an illusion, shadows of the past." the filly informed.

So the two trotted through the streets of Ponyville, admiring all the Hearth Warming decorations, before stopping at an old mansion. It had stone walls decorated in tinsel, tree decorations hanging the tall pine trees that stood guard, and a mistletoe hanging underneath the front door.

"Ya lived in quite ah fancy house." observed the ghost.

"Hearth Warming Eve was my father's favorite holiday of the year." Diamond whispered.

Suddenly, a small group of ponies caroling trotted gleefully towards the mansion. Diamond sidestepped out of their way and as they came to the door, an old brown stallion opened it with a big smile on his lips.

"That's father!" exclaimed the mare.

Just as she said that, a small pink filly with a tiara atop her head came to her father's side. Now, once the carolers finished, both the filly and the stallion stomped their hooves on the ground before the stallion cried out, "That was fantastic! Oh fantastic in deed! Why don't you all come in and have some hot chocolate? It's cold outside and your throats must be sore."

And with a shout of glee, the carolers entered the mansion, thanking the kind stallion.

"You're father was quite the gentlecolt." Apple Bloom said. "So tell me Tiara, how did you grow so cold?"

The mare shuffled her hooves, "I-I guess I've grown cold over the years. Living in Manehatten and all, I've grown to become harsh."

Apple Bloom gave a quick nod before breaking into a gallop. Confused, Diamond gave chase to the ghost.


They came to the richer part of Ponyville. The streets were lined with clean, festive shops and houses all decorated for Hearth Warming Eve. Then, with a grin the ghost and her partner entered into a jewelry shop.

Inside there were rows upon rows of rubies, emeralds, crystals, and sapphires of different colors, shapes, and sizes. All encased in sparkling glass. Behind one of these rows was a pink unicorn mare with a two toned purple mane and tail. Her crystal blue eyes gleamed with joy as she hummed a holiday song.

"Why there's Cookie Crumbles! Spirit, I'll have you know that she was one of the kindest bosses I've ever had!" Diamond Tiara cried out in joy.

"Diamond! Dinky!" Cookie Crumbles called out.

Suddenly, a now teenage Diamond trotted out behind a red velvet curtain. A unicorn mare with a pale purple coat followed close behind her.

"Since it's Hearth Warming Eve tomorrow, I've decided to close a few minutes early." Cookie explained merrily.

The two teens cried out in glee at their boss's words. Then, as fast as they could, the mares quickly began cleaning the store. From dusting the blue carpet, to making sure that the gems all sparkled when it by light.

Once they were done, Cookie wished them all a happy Hearth Warming and the three mares set off in their own ways. Though, now before Diamond and Dinky could say their goodbyes to their boss.

"Well?" Apple Bloom asked as the two went outside.

"Well what?" Diamond questioned.

"Well tis iz ta end fer me." the filly informed before producing a wooden bat from her cloak.

Diamond took a step back in alarm. "W-what are y-you doing?"

"Goodnight Diamond!" The ghost of Hearth Warming sang before hitting Diamond's head with the bat.

Then, everything went dark.