• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 740 Views, 11 Comments

Screw Destiny - CrossRedstone



A pegasister and her friend get ponified and thrown into Equestria. But they have no cutie marks. (Starts between Season 1 and 2, follows canon with some additions of my own part)

  • ...
4
 11
 740

Prologue: A quick chat about cutie marks

Samantha couldn't help but get the urge to just slap Diamond Tiara in the face, when she made fun of Applebloom's "blank flank". She seriously doubted anyone of the fanbase actually liked her or Silver Spoon, except one day there would come a really decent explanation as to why they were so mean. But it was probably the obvious reasons they were like they were.

"Sheesh, maybe I should skip this episode." she mumbled to herself, while munching on some cheese crackers.
It was Saturday and Sam had decided she would marathon MLP FiM the whole day. So far she had no interruption, which was a rare occasion when she watching the show in general. And of course it wouldn't be any different this day.

The doorbell rang, which caused her arm almost mechanically to reach out to the mouse and stop the video she was watching. Since she was the only one currently in the house, she had to answer the door. That or simply ignore it, but she wasn't that kind of person. It only took her thirty seconds to reach the door and pull it open.

"Hey Sam."

In front of her stood Sam's friend since childhood, his name being Don. He had his usual face that showed no willpower whatsoever, didn't stood straight and had his hands in his pocket. He was like this almost every day and Sam was used to it.

"What's up?" she asked with her usual smile. She was one of those pegasisters who took the harmony thing a little more serious and everything that her favorite show tries to teach mankind. Like for example she was mimicking Pinkie Pie's behavior of always smiling, though she had trouble doing that in some situations. She wasn't sugar high her entire life after all.

"I think I left my phone here yesterday. Was in the neighborhood and just noticed it was not in my pocket."

"Oh alright. Come in." She just walked back to her room, knowing he would follow. Don knew his way around and was pretty much allowed to roam free inside the house, as long as someone let him in beforehand.

Samantha, back in her room, simply picked up her phone and dialed Don's number. Immediately a buzzing sound could be heard from under her bed. Don, who had just walked in front of her room, saw what she was doing and briefly wondered how his phone ended up under Sam's bed, before taking action.

Ignoring the dust that had settled under her bed, Don crawled beneath it and followed the sound and light his phone until he hand clutched in his hand and hit the red button. Afterwards, he crawled back out and dusted himself off.

"Thanks." he said with the same unenthusiastic voice as before.

"No prob." Sam replied. "Wanna stay?"

"Actually had something planned." he replied with a sigh at the end. It was something that was normal for him. He never had been the most enthusiastic one and today he seemed to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.

"Alright, see ya around."

"Laters."

He was just about to leave, when he stopped in his tracks, while his vision got fixated on the laptop screen. "Really?" he asked in a deadpan voice, pointing his finger at the screen.

"Hey, I thought you'd stop complaining about it." she put her hands on her hips.

"Pff, sorry. It's just no matter how many I see someone enjoying this, I can't wrap my head around as to why so many people are enjoying this show."

"Well, why don't you take in just one episode? Maybe tomorrow?"

Don thought about it for a second. "Alright, we can actually do it now. I'm in no rush."

'Meaning you have something planned to do on your own, like always.' Sam thought to herself. "Alrighty, take a seat" she tapped on her bed. Don just let gravity do the job of taking a seat. His friend quickly took her laptop, placed herself next to him and restarted the video from the beginning, though she skipped the theme.

"Call of the cutie?"
"This episode explains itself pretty good."

Twenty minutes later, Sam stopped the video once again, before the next episode started automatically. "So, what do you think?" This hadn't been really the best episode to try and bring someone into the fandom, but it had been worth a shot.

"Well," Don took in a deep breath "it wasn't as bad as I was expecting."

"I'm pretty sure you mean generation one to three. It wasn't really until they hired Loren Faust that the show became any good."

"Uh huh. I'm still not a fan, but there's one thing that I didn't fully get and it still got me curious. What's that all about those cutie marks? I mean, as far as I understand it's like you HAVE to do what it says, no matter what."

"Hmm." Samantha thought about it for a minute. "Let's start from the beginning. A cutie mark represents a special talent a pony acquired or...wait. Better is, THE special talent a pony was born with, their destiny."

"Sounds like bullshit to me." Don remarked, crossing his arms behind the back of his hand. "And what if the pony doesn't like his or her special talent? I guess it would be pointless to ask what would happen if they're not good at it..."

Sam nodded. "Yeah, they're always good at it, no matter what. About your question, I've read like one or two fanfictions about it, but so far there hasn't been an episode released with that kind of thing. As I said, it's like their destiny."

"They're destined to love it? Now that's screwed up."

Sam held up her arms. "Hey, in the end it is just a kid's show. Kids barely understand a thing we're talking about."

"Still, I personally think the simple idea is wrong." Don frowned at the thought of having to do what a tattoo says you to do.

"Mhmm. There is one thing that especially bothers me. You remember Twilight?"

"The stupid movie or the partly decent character?"

Sam rolled her eyes. "The latter. Later in the show it is shown that she was destined to become a heroine and immortal. Her cutie mark was on the tree of harmony." Don raised an eyebrow. "It's a very important tree with lots of power. Anyways, it's important because Celestia, one of the two leaders of Equestria, knew about what would become of Twilight and subtly manipulated her. Long story short, Twilight becomes an immortal alicorn princess and is going to survive her friends' deaths."

"Ouch and I thought you said this show was for children."

"Children don't think too much about it and write mature content about Twilight going insane and destroying half of the world in a sad rampage." she chuckled.

"I'd have gone on a rampage way earlier. Immortality is just counterproductive."

'Sheesh, you clearly need to stock up your vocabulary. The excuse of being from overseas doesn't count anymore.'

"So, mind staying as I try to convert you into the fandom with another episode?" Sam asked.

Don let out a yawn. "Nah, I'll just continue ranting at this rate." He stood up and stretched himself. "I bet we could go on all day."

"Yeah. I actually planned on filling my brain with ponies for the entire day."

"...I guess in the end we all have our personal drug." Don shrugged.

"And for mine I don't even need LSD. It's already included." the girl giggled.

"Wasn't I supposed to be the one with the lame jokes?"
Don left it at that and proceeded downstairs, leaving Sam in her room. It may seem more than a bit impolite, even for close friends, but that's how it mostly went with them.

Sam was eating more snacks, while waiting for the next video to load. There was some kind of holdup, probably a hick-up with her internet connection again. She hit the F5 button and waited for the side to reload, but then her laptop froze.

"Urggh, what now? I just wanna enjoy ponies..." she sighed while doing the usual typing and smashing the buttons, trying to get the thing working again. It wasn't until the screen went white that she gave up. "A virus? Really?" she growled in frustration.

She was about to take out the accumulator, when the brightness of the screen intensified to a level it shouldn't be possible for her laptop to reach. The girl covered her eyes with her arm, silently wondering what the heck was going on, when she felt a little light-headed...

XIII

Sam felt like she had been run over by a truck, while being on drug withdrawal for the first time in her life. It was impossible for her to think clearly, so she just continued to hold her eyes closed, while the sun was shining directly onto them. The wind was gently stroking over her. She could stay like this forever.

...

...

...
"-lo? Are you alright? Hello?" A voice called out to her.

"Five more minutes mom..."

"*Sigh* Figures. About three hours trapped in this place and the first intelligent being I meet is just sleeping around."

"Nnngh, shut up, Don."

"Hey, how do you know my name?"

"Huh...?"

Sam forced her eyes open, only to close them again as the light blinded her eye. She noticed first that she was laying in a grass field, as it tickled her skin. Still a little confused as to everything that had happened today, from which she was pretty sure 90% had been a dream, she blinked a few times in order to get her vision clear.

"Hmm, thought it would be harder to wake you up."

Sam blinked.
Then she blinked again.
It didn't change, though her mind had a hard time comprehending what her eyes were visualizing inside her brain. Right in front of her stood a pony. Not a pony as she was used from seeing in petting zoos, the miniature horses. No this was an honest to goodness pony from the "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" show.

"P-pony..." she stuttered. "Y-you're a pony."

The pony had a grey/bluish coat, black eyes and his mane was a lighter black if that can be described as a color.

"So are you, you know?" The pony replied whose voice sounded a lot like that off...

"Don?! That you?!" Sam shouted, trying to get up, only to fall back to the ground immediately. Don in the meantime raised an eyebrow, until it made click inside his brain, understanding the situation.

"Heh, good to see at least someone familiar in this place, though do me a favor don't freak out as much as I did, when you look down on yourself."

In fact, in front of Don was lying a mare with a red coat, green eyes and a darker red mane, which was pretty long and thus tailed up in a ponytail, with a few strands falling down in front of her face. Unlike Don, Sam also had a horn, making her a unicorn.

None of the two had a cutie mark in case you were wondering. Oh well, probably not, since the whole story is about the lack of a cutie mark, while going along with canon. But enough of breaking the fourth wall. This chapter is almost over anyways.

Pinkie's Pinkie Sense had told her about a doozy today and all of the sudden it stopped. What she didn't know, the doozy had been one heck of a scream filled with mixed emotions and almost causing Don to lose his sense of hearing.

"I'm a pony...you're a pony...is this Equestria?" Sam's voice sounded almost timid and she was shaking uncontrollably, while at the same time her pupils shrunk to the size of an insect. The boy turned into a stallion recognized the symptoms immediately. Samantha was suffering from fangirl overload.