• Published 13th Dec 2014
  • 881 Views, 16 Comments

Cross World Explorers - Ximer



When a new villain rises will two heroes be enough to foil his evil plans?

  • ...
1
 16
 881

Chapter 7

Daring Do walked silently beside Isabella, their target destination within sight now. After a head count of their group revealed that all the passengers had indeed survived, it made the mare feel a little better about the situation at hoof. Thankfully, the ship didn’t have many traveling the previous day, or the outcome might have been much worse.

She and Isabella had talked only briefly since they started moving. Their conversation consisting of brief good mornings, and what needed to be done. This awkward feeling between the two of them wasn’t helping things, and after what Daring Do had said, it reminded her about how she used to be, before Rainbow Dash.

Thinking back to the cyan pegasus caused the mare to laugh. She was a hyperactive mare that didn’t seem to have a stop button of any sort.

“What’s got you in a good mood all of the sudden?” Isabella asked skeptically.

“Thinking back to a friend of mine.” Daring Do confessed.

“Oh…” Isabella replied, falling silent once more.

Daring Do took in a deep breath before letting it pass through her muzzle. She knew she had been a bit harsh with her words, and it was time to put an end to this quiet.

“Isabella,” Daring Do started. “You’re not a burden.”

“Okaaay…where’s this coming from?” Isabella asked.

“I just wanted to let you know that I don’t think you’re a burden, or useless. I was mad because our change of solving whatever traps might be in store for us in the ruins are now at the bottom of a river. You didn’t start that fire on the boat though.” Daring Do replied.

“Um…thanks…I think.” Isabella said quietly.

“That’s it?” Daring Do asked.

“I didn’t have some grand response ready to go for something like that, if that’s what you were expecting.” Isabella shrugged.

“I…but…” Daring Do stammered.

“I know I’m the reason progress has been slow. I just wanted you to relax a bit. I at least took out that stupid dog thing before Falsemane started choking me.” Isabella said.

“You’re saying you disposed of Drake? The diamond dog Drake?” Daring Do asked, hovering just in front of Isabella’s face now.

“Yeah, he’s fish food right about now.” Isabella replied with a laugh, walking around the confounded mare.

Daring Do was only trying to be nice before, she had no idea that Isabella had actually taken out Falsemane’s strongest lackey. Drake was notorious for his cruelty, even amongst his own kind. That combined with the leadership of Falsemane made for an even deadlier combination. Isabella had no idea what kind of threat he truly was.

“I’m curious now, how did you manage to beat Drake?” Daring Do asked.

---

The sun was setting once more by the time their small group had arrived at (town name). Both Isabella and Daring Do were exhausted from having walked the rest of the way. Thankfully, their adventure was coming to an end.

Isabella had enjoyed being away from her brother when they first set out, but now she was anxious to see him again. She could only imagine what he would have to say about her venturing off with some strange pony and putting herself in risky situations. That part she could do without.

“I feel like my feet are going to fall off.” Isabella moaned.

“Not used to walking everywhere?” Daring Do asked.

“That’s not the problem. I didn’t exactly come prepared for half a day’s walk to town. That’s something cars and hoooor-rible taxes were made for.” Isabella corrected herself before saying horses, unsure if the mare would be offended by using horse.

“Humans sound like they were spoilt at times.” Daring Do mumbled.

“Kind of, not all of us were though. It was just convenient, y’know?” Isabella replied.

“I suppose it would be similar to having wings. I stand by my opinion though.” Daring Do said.

Isabella ignored the explorer for a moment to observe the city, which looked more like a small, primitive town. The houses were ones you would see out of an Indiana Jones movie, and had developed cracks in different places in the clay structures over the course of their long use as homes for the ponies.

The civilians seemed to regard Isabella much more briefly than the citizens of Ponyville, before going on with their routine. Perhaps seeing other beings wasn’t as strange to them as it was to the other ponies she had been around. Maybe she could finally have a conversation with a pony that didn’t involve a life or death situation.

“Isabella,” Daring Do nudged the woman’s leg to get her attention. “I don’t want to trek through the jungle at night. Find us a place to stay while I try to round up what we might need.”

Isabella nodded and parted ways with the mare. Finding some place to crash shouldn’t be too hard to do, especially if one were to throw the name Daring Do into the mix. Like humans, ponies had their idols, and would more often than not fall head over hoof for them.

Satisfied that Isabella had things under control as far as bedding went, Daring Do ventured deeper into the small town, trying to find a shop that was still open, and had what they needed. As she walked through the streets, she couldn’t help but get the sinking feeling she was being watched, and not in a good way.

She was fairly used to the stares of fans, but these stares were cold and calculating. Daring Do was no idiot, and remained calm despite the obvious danger she found herself in.

Okay, so far I count four suspects…I wonder i- Daring Do’s thoughts were cut short as an orange aura wrapped around her legs and wings.

“One word, and I’ll bleed you dry.” Falsemane hissed through his mask.

Daring Do felt something sharp slide against her neck, barely scraping the surface of her skin. She knew he meant business, this was the line drawn between Ahuizotl and her current foe. The feline left her fate more often than not to chance. Falsemane would see to her end, personally.

“Good girl,” Falsemane said as the sharp object was pulled away. “Now you’ll be a good dear and help us find the ruins, yes? I’d hate to stain your cloths such a tasteless red.”

“You have no idea what you’re after. Of what it can do.” Daring Do tried to reason with the crime lord.

“I know exactly what the scepter is capable of. All I’m asking for is your co-operation in the matter.” Falsemane laughed as Drake stepped out from the shadows, grasping Daring Do in place of the unicorn’s magic.

“You’re still alive!?” Daring Do gasped, as she took in the diamond dog’s mutilated features.

“You didn’t think a few rainbow fish could finish Drake off so easily, did you?” Falsemane asked. “By the way, where is your delightful little friend, we have some unfinished business to attend to.”

Daring Do squirmed in Drake’s grasp, knowing it was a futile attempt at freedom, but feeling compelled to try nonetheless. It was during this struggle that she noticed a head and….hand alongside one of the buildings. The mare knew she would probably be killed if they found her and struggled once more, this time shaking her head no, violently, so as to not give away her friend, or the message.

Thankfully, Isabella understood and backed away into the shadows, undetected by Falsemane and his minions. It was best if they thought she was out of their manes for good, rather than keeping an eye out for her. Daring Do knew she would come back eventually, now wasn’t the time for said heroics, however.

“She died,” Daring Do said. “She’s not like your diamond dog friend here.”

“Well, isn’t that a shame,” Falsemane shrugged. “No funny business Miss Do, I’ll play nice as long as you do.”

“You’re just going to kill me once you get what you want!” Daring Do snapped.

“Now now my dear Daring Do,” Falsemane cooed, stroking the explorer’s mane. “Why would I waste such a fine mare?”

Falsemane’s henchponies laughed cynically as Daring Do’s eyes widened with terror at the reveal of the unicorn’s plans for her after this was over. She would much rather take death than to be sentenced to such a horrible fate. She now realized that her future was in the ho-no, hands of another explorer, one she hoped would be up to the task.

---

Isabella clenched her fist as she silently observed Daring Do being taken towards the jungle in the claws of the not-so-dead-but-should-be-dead-diamond dog, Drake. He had somehow survived his encounter with the carnivorous fish of the river, and was probably a bit frustrated after being gnawed on.

“Shit….shit!” Isabella mumbled to herself as she silently stalked them, not quite sure what to do with herself.

She had never been in a situation like this before. She knew she couldn’t let them out of her sight though, if Falsemane was serious about his plans for Daring Do after he had that stupid scepter. Isabella wasn’t about to let that happen, especially not to a…friend.

She briefly pondered on this sudden realization. All this time she had wanted just one pony to relate to, and she had gotten her wish. It was in a way she had never dreamed of, but she felt she had made a friend. Why else would she be considering risking her own life for a pony that, as far as Equestria was concerned, was just a fictional character? Isabella wondered if Daring Do thought the same of her.

“Hang tight…I’ll think of something.” Isabella whispered as she silently stalked the group through the jungle.

She didn’t have to worry about staying on the path and risk being seen. Their torches stood out like a sore thumb amidst the darkness of night, and the foliage of the jungle. The only real concerne were vines that seemed to have a mind of their own.

Occasionally, they would spring to life, only to settle back down once they got a good look, or smell, of Isabella. Humans weren’t exactly on their menu, thankfully. Ponies on the other hand were small enough to fall victim to their mouths, which seemed to leak some type of foul smelling gas.

It made Isabella sneeze once, but other than smelling like day old piss it was relatively harmless. She assumed it was to immobilize prey long enough to consume them, since the plants didn’t seem that stable or strong.

A few other strange creatures made themselves known, but always retreated at the sight of the human. Unsure as to what was dangerous and what was harmless, Isabella was thankful that everything was avoiding her for once.

When the torches and chatter finally came to a halt Isabella had to stop herself from letting out a loud sigh of relief. She crouched down in the foliage, unable to truly observe what was transpiring in front of the vine covered ruins. She knew that staying still now was more important than moving, since any sudden or mysterious noises might give her away.

---

Daring Do briefly forgot about her circumstances as she gazed upon the ruins. Though time had been cruel to the once magnificent building, covering most of its former glory in tangels of foliage and eroded stone, it was still an impressive sight to look at. The shadows of the past were chased away by the light of torches, as their light danced across the stone statues outside the ruins.

“Well, here we are Miss Do…it’s time to do what you do best.” Falsemane said.

“I could, if your brute would let me go.” Daring Do commented.

“Do you take me for a fool?” Falsemane asked.

“Do you want an honest answer?” Daring Do asked in return, raising an eyebrow.

“Adorable,” Falsemane deadpanned. “Your ability to solve mysteries and traps is unmatched. That’s why you’re not in chains.”

“You’re afraid of a door?” Daring Do smirked.

The mare’s victory was short lived as Falsemane struck her muzzle with his hoof. Blood trickled from her nostrils as a result of the cowardly blow. Though Daring Do had to admit, for a unicorn Falsemane knew how to throw a decent punch.

“Any more smart remarks and I’ll have Drake rip one of your wings off.” Falsemane threatened.

Daring Do sighed, knowing that she would have to play along, and hope that Isabella hadn’t left her for dead. “Bring me closer to the symbols.”

Drake complied, his grasp on the explorer hadn’t waivered since they left for the ruins. A few of the henchponies drew closer as Daring Do examined the markings on the sealed entrance. At least she had guinea pigs in case something went wrong.

“It’s an ancient unicorn greeting-“ Daring Do started to explain.

“That’s vague, there’s several types.” a henchponie spoke up, which surprised the mare since he was technically correct.

“This one is incomplete; time has worn away the writing.” Daring Do finished.

“Well, then I suppose it’s a good thing we still have the book then. Our half of it anyways.” Falsemane said, as a torn half of an old book levitated in front of her.

Falsemane skimmed through the book half which appeared to have been marked with several book marks. The unicorn had not been idle while searching for the two explorers it seemed, and had been busy familiarizing himself with the book’s contents.

After speaking the unicorn greeting, one which involved magic, the door slowly slid open. A blast of ancient air left the yawning maw of the ruins, as a dark void now welcomed those brave enough to enter.

“Let me be very clear Miss Do, if you try anything funny, anything at all, your fate will be far worse than I promised.” Falsemane warned.

Daring Do remained as a few of the henchponies began their decent into the inky darkness. Falsemane turned to two ponies that had brought up the rear and nodded to them, a gesture that they returned before proceeding to guard the door.

“If anypony comes out without me, kill them.” Falsemane ordered.

“And for those coming in?” a guard braved to ask.

“I’m sure you’ll think of something…just make it slow whatever it is.” Falsemane replied dismissively before disappearing into the ruins.