• Published 12th Dec 2014
  • 356 Views, 2 Comments

Random Acts Of Chaos - Gritty Metal



Under unexpected circumstances a Metalcore band forms in Ponyville and puts all of Equestria under their spell. Soon they will find out that Metal just like friendship is a powerful magic.

  • ...
 2
 356

Problem-Solving Problem

The next day Gritty Metal woke up with a huge headache; He had loaded a lot of problems onto his back and he was unsure of how to handle them. There was still a singer to be found, a band room to be made or found and gear to be bought. Good thing his parents had left him with a fair share of the family's wealth when they died a few years ago. He had promised to use anything he got from their last wills wisely, and this was what he thought was wise; get the gear of his band colleagues. He put his credit card in his saddle bag and set out to do some instrument shopping.

In Ponyville there was one retailer who was specialized on musical instruments of all varieties and price classes. Anything from shabby old ESP guitars for 400 bits to Stradivari Violins with prices up to 3 Million bits. Also drum sets were available in various shapes, sizes and with different price tags. Gritty found a beautiful electric bass that was labeled as "Stratosphere Bass" for Octavia which landed on his list of goods to buy, a drum set of the Pearl variety for Pinkie Pie and a brand new Dean "Bird of Prey" for Rainbow Dash. Cost for all the equipment bought: 27'500 bits.

He continued to walk into the commercial and industrial district of Ponyville where he found an abandoned factory that seemed perfect as a rehearsal room. It was situated virtually in the middle of nowhere with no pony around to get disturbed by the noise. He made inquiries about the cost of the property, and got it almost for free, as the factory was no longer in use. For the ground this factory stood on he payed 1000 bits.

He told the music retailer to bring the instruments to the factory, a service that cost him 500 more bits. It was all planed as a big surprise for his fellow band members. Gritty was sure that it would be great for the others to see that everything was taken care of before their first meeting as a real band. But wait! They didn't have a singer yet!

This was a very big problem, one that could possibly take a while to solve... And also he forgot the amplifiers for the bass and the guitar... The more he thought about the upcoming first band rehearsal his headache worsened. There were still a fair few problems to solve before the band could have their first meeting. He first needed to go back to the music retailer's to get the amps.

On his way there he ran into Twilight Sparkle who was just passing the shop on her way to her library. They stood in front of each other for a few moments, motionless and emotionless, before Gritty apologized to Twilight Sparkle. "No problem," she answered, "Tell Pinkie and Dash that I said hi." Just as she started walking away on her path back home Gritty came to a realization; He had bought a ton of equipment that his crush's friend Twilight Sparkle could have just made magically appear.

"Hey, Twilight, wait a second..." Gritty called after her as she walked off in direction of her library. He just had to ask her for some help; Her magic would definitely come in handy for the amplifiers he still needed. He walked after her, soon catching up to her. "I need your help with something. Can you maybe use your magic to make amplifiers for a guitar and a bass out of rocks?"

Twilight Sparkle gave him a look full of empathy. "Of course I can. What do you need them for?" She smiled at him as they walked on. He knew exactly for what he needed them.

"They are presents; one's for Rainbow Dash and the other one's for Octavia," he fought with his words as he also needed some pain relief. He put a hoof to the side of his head, which Twilight could hardly miss.

Twilight reacted directly, "So, you need them as presents? Maybe you should also think about yourself from time to time, Gritty... You look like you are in terrible pain. The damn migraines, always strike when you need them least." She giggled a little. Her horn glowed for a few seconds and the pressure on Gritty's brain was relieved. "So, you said you needed amplifiers?" Twilight thought for a second before pointing her horn at two medium sized rocks, transforming them into amplifiers. "Here you go, Gritty. And again, tell everyone I said hi."

Gritty thanked Twilight for the amplifiers and then asked her one more question, "Do you know who in Ponyville has a good voice?" His eyes filled with hope as he asked. The anticipation of an answer was driving him insane, he had to know as soon as possible, because in three hours the band would have their first scheduled rehearsal.

Twilight Sparkle thought for a few seconds before giving the awaited answer, "Well, there's Fluttershy who can sing, then we have Sweetie Belle, but I don't think that you would want her in your band... She's probably too young... But, honestly, anyone in Ponyville can sing pretty well. Maybe you have luck with asking Big McIntosh." She smiled at him, "The possibilities are near endless."

This was it! Why hand't he thought of that himself? Big Mac as a singer for his band would be cool, and would give the entire band a bit of Country-Rock-Flair; like James Hetfield's mimicking of the thick southern accent in the track "The Unforgiven II". He would make the band complete and enlarge the potential fan circle the band could once have. Gritty thanked Twilight for her help and left with the amplifiers after saying goodbye. After he brought the amplifiers back to the factory building he set out to Sweet Apple Acres to ask Big Mac about the idea.

Author's Note:

Just in case someone has problems with my METALLICA-reference here, I'll insert the video or at least the link to it here.