• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 2,266 Views, 63 Comments

Left 4 Friendship: Magic is Dead - UnweptSchlipps



Welcome to the end of the world. Every day is a fight to survive, every step-a battle against death.

  • ...
7
 63
 2,266

Interlude 2: Flying Metal Deathtraps

Twilight: When we got on that helicopter, we thought that was the end of it. We thought that we’d fly out of there, and the pilot would take us someplace safe. We watched the lights of Whistling Maple and the zombies get further away, thinking it would be the last time we’d ever have to see those monsters.

RD: But, as you can probably tell, things didn’t exactly go as planned. Huh, what else is new?

I swear Twilight, when I saw that helicopter swoop down, I’ve never felt so relieved in all my life. I didn’t even care that the propeller almost took off my head! Frankly, I was just happy to finally get a break.

But after about an hour or two of flying, it started to become clear to us that things...weren’t exactly alright. For you see, we weren’t prepared for what the pilot was about to do.

Here’s a lesson for you kiddies. If you’re feeling to dizzy, don’t fly a hovering metal deathtrap. It all started with a headache. That’s when it all came crashing down.

Literally.

xxx

The quartet was huddled tightly in that helicopter, watching the concert fade further and further into the distance. Then, once the place out of sight, Rainbow Dash heaved a relieved sigh and sank into one of the seats.

“It sure feels good to be flying again, even if it’s not with my own two wings, “she remarked. The thought of her wings reminded her about the pain, so she pulled out three pills from her pack.

Fluttershy saw this and said, mildly concerned, “Ummm, are you sure you need those Rainbow?”

“Oh it’s fine, ‘Shy. It’s just for my wings, I swear!” Rainbow assured. She took the capsules and felt a wave of heat rush through her body, followed by the relief of discomfort in her side.

“So, you girls from around here?” the pilot asked gruffly.

“Actually sir, we come from Ponyville,” Twilight Sparkle replied.

“Ponyville huh? You girls travelled a real long way to get to this dump.” The pilot then gave a quick laugh, which actually sounded more like a wheeze than a chuckle.

“Well you know how it is. Gotta do whatever you can to survive.”

Giving a friendly tip of his cap, the pilot said assuredly, “Well don’t worry, friends. I’ll get you someplace safe. By the way, I noticed you had some pain pills. I’ve had a headache ever since my last trip, so I was just wondering if I could have some.”

“Well, uh…I, uh,” the blue pegasus stuttered, clutching the bottle protectively.

But Twilight gave her a hard punch and a stern glare, so Dash said reluctantly, “Okay, sure.” She gave the pilot one pain pill, but not without an unsure frown on her face.

“So where are you taking us?” Fluttershy inquired.

“I hear there’s an evacuation over at Hopewell Port in Fillydelphia,” the stallion began. “Hopefully this bird’s got enough juice left to-arghh!” Suddenly, the pilot clutched his temple, his face scrunched up in pain. This alarmed Twilight and Pinkie Pie, who were sitting closest to the front. The two turned around and tried to see what the problem was.

“Oh boy, those headaches…just seem to be getting worse. And I feel…a bit dizzy.”

“Hey mister, are you alright?” Pinkie asked, eyebrows raised. “You look a little…pale.”

“No, no, I’m just fine. I'll get over it,” he answered, trying to maintain a smile despite the pain shooting through his head. The stallion licked his cracked lips and uttered, “For some reason I’m craving some…some chicken.”

“Chicken? Well okaaay then,” Dash uttered, but not without making a loopy symbol with her hooves. The pilot returned back to his duties, keeping his eyes on the skies. Pinkie and Twilight turned back to their normal position, just a bit worried.

For about ten minutes, everything went without a hitch. Dawn was approaching, signaling the turning of another apocalyptic day. The quartet carried on small conversation to pass the time, sometimes taking potshots at whatever it was down below. But for the most part, aside from a few grunts, the pilot remained silent. But then, just when everything began to settle down, the chopper began rocking.

It began as a few sudden jerks, as though it had hit some wind pockets or turbulence. But the rocking only became worse and worse, practically swaying in the air. A red light began to flash above and beep as the quartet held on tight to their seats.

“Whoa whoa, what’s happening?” Rainbow Dash cried, her eyes darting around the rumbling compartment.

The pilot called out, “Don’t worry…I…got…arrgh!”

Twilight screamed, “Sir, the helicopter’s rocking. Sir, do you hear me? SIR!” Unable to get response, she jerked the pilot around, knocking off his sunglasses. And staring back at her were a pair of eyes; white, blank, and demonic.

“Oh what the-,” the unicorn began. But then the now zombified pilot reached out for her, a drop of blood running down his chin. The survivor’s screams meshed with the pilot’s growling and the alarm’s blaring, creating utter chaos. Twilight struggled against the stallion, who had one foreleg wrapped around her neck, and the other attached to the throttle. It seemed as though they would be spiraling straight through the sky and into the ground. That is, if the zombie didn’t get them first.

Then there was a gunshot. The struggling ceased. The vehicle hovered in the air for a short moment, until the propellers came to a stop.

Then came the falling.

Xxx

I don’t know how else to explain it. I mean, if you’re falling while strapped in a metal deathtrap, what else could you be besides scared?

In all the commotion, it was pretty hard to see what happened. One moment the pilot wrapped his leg around my head, the next, he was slumped over with his…head parts all over the windshield. I tried to reach for the throttle, but we were already plummeting down.

We were pretty high up too. We were lucky to still be alive after the crash.

But considering where we had landed, we might as well have been dead. The first thing I noticed as I climbed out of that wreckage-

Mud. Lots of mud.