• Published 12th Dec 2014
  • 3,985 Views, 93 Comments

Ghost - FaelaArts



A ghost haunts Ponyville's streets, but why?

  • ...
11
 93
 3,985

5

Curled up in her patch of grass, Nopony gave a quiet squee in glee. She had spoke! Closing her eyes, she smiled for the first time in centuries. How? What had changed during their presence that had allowed her to speak? How had she gained enough presence to affect the board? Sighing, her smile faded, and she looked to the night sky.

But what difference did her speaking make? These ponies thought they could help, but what help could they provide? Twilight had already tried to find her identity, and failed. Besides, Nopony knew that wouldn’t help. How would knowing who she was change what she was? Sighing mentally, she wondered just why she was dwelling on it so much.

Lonliness likely. It’s the first time someone has even noticed my presence in...when was the last time?’ Frowning, Nopony examined her fragmented memories, and then discarded her thoughts just as swiftly.

It doesn’t matter, I am Nopony.’ Closing her eyes, she let herself drift into a half-sleep, ignoring all her musings as they were quietly washed away. Nopony didn’t understand what washed them away, but she was grateful for it. Thoughts were pointless to hold onto, whatever those thoughts had been.

“Nopony? Nopony?” Opening one eye, Nopony noticed Pinkie Pie slowly approaching her location, body occasionally twitching. Only one other pony had decided to come with her; Twilight.

“Are you sure you can find her Pinkie?” Expression a mix of fear and unease, Nopony could tell Twilight was fighting her desire to flee. That was normal, considering what Nopony was. Closing her eyes once more, she shifted slightly.

“I think so. My Pinkie Sense can sense her, but it’s sorta like walking around Ponyville blindfolded. You kinda know where you are, but it’s easy to lose your sense of direction.” Tilting her head as she spoke, there was a measure of confusion on the normally upbeat face. Walking through Nopony, Pinkie shivered, and stopped after taking another step. Turning around, she frowned, peering at Nopony.

“Nopony?” Opening one more eye to look at Pinkie, Nopony grimaced. Just great, Pinkie could sense her. Sitting up, she wondered just how she was supposed to even let Pinkie know. This entire search mission was completely flawed.

“The board moved, it said ‘flawed’.” Glancing behind her to where Twilight was standing, Nopony’s eye twitched as she saw they had brought that stupid board. Nopony should have known Twilight would have some sort of plan.

“Nopony, please, just give us a chance. If we can’t help you move on, we promise to leave you alone in the future.” There was a chance that appealing to the ghosts desire to be alone would succeed. Twilight hoped she was right.

That did appeal to Nopony, especially considering what could happen if she didn’t. Parties in her honor, questions about what she could do. The amount of annoyance these two could place on her would be endless. Sighing, she silently agreed to it, watching as the board slowly slid over the ‘yes’.

“Yes! Thank you! I’m sure you won’t be disappointed in our results. So what is your name?” Glancing down, Twilight watched as the board spelled out ‘Nopony’. Frowning for a moment, Twilight shook it off, and tried again.

“No, I mean what was your name when you were alive?” Watching the dial, Twilight muttered the letters to herself.

“I-d-o-n-t-k-n-o-w. Hrm, you know this is a little inefficient, can you speak, like you did earlier?” Once more, the board repeated ‘I don’t know.’

“Well, uh, could you try it?” Falling silent, Twilight waited. Glaring at her, Nopony growled in annoyance This entire conversation was exhausting, and pointless. If it wasn’t in return for never being bothered again, Nopony would have quit long ago. Regardless, she had said she would try, so there was little point complaining about it.

I suppose.” To Nopony’s surprise, it was almost too easy to speak. Her voice seemed to whisper on the wind, and she watched the two shiver slightly.

“Alright, so what do you remember of your life?” Tilting her head, Twilight levitated out a notepad, prepared to write.

I had a house. There was an orange tree out the back. I had a husband. I was a teacher. My friend was a scientist.” A lot of the information Nopony provided was useless from a first glance, but Twilight was sure she’d be able to find some means of figuring out who Nopony was. The final sentence gave her a nagging suspicion, and she pulled out Sunset Swirls journal.

“Was your friend Sunset Swirl? I mean, she was a scientist, and it seems oddly relevant considering we found out about you around the same time her experiment finally reached completion.” Holding it up for a moment, Twilight gave a cheerful smile, before suddenly freezing as a chill went down her body.

Yes, my friend was named Sunset Swirl.” Raising an eyebrow, Nopony wondered why Twilight was suddenly sweating.

“Pinkie, can you...do me an uh-favor and keep Nopony busy? I uh- got to go confirm something with...Celestia about...Sunset Swirl…” Turning, Twilight flared her wings, flying toward her home. Pinkie Pie tilted her head, but gave a shrug.

“Well, Nopony, how about we go see what your favorite food is. Maybe you can still smell, huh?” As Pinkie bounced away, Nopony begrudgingly followed. Just great, food. Now she would have to pretend she could actually smell it. For a moment, Twilight's behavior nagged at her, but was swiftly discarded. It was what happened with all of Nopony's thoughts eventually. Dwelling solved nothing, after all.