• Published 10th Dec 2014
  • 2,948 Views, 61 Comments

An Equestrian Girls Christmas Carol - Epicdiscord214



It's Christmas in the human world and everyone's celebrating... except Sunset Shimmer. She hates Christmas. What she doesn't know is that one night can change it all.

  • ...
6
 61
 2,948

Future

In a flash of light, Discord and Sunset Shimmer saw a new environment. It looked like the town, but it was completely covered in a blanket of snow. Sunset Shimmer looked at Discord and saw that he was wearing a large, black robe with a hood over his horns.

"What are you wearing," Sunset Shimmer asked.

"Look around, kid," Discord said gesturing his lion paw over the area. "It's freezing cold. This is to keep me warm."

"Whatever you say," Sunset Shimmer sighed. "Where are we, anyway?"

"Welcome to the future," Discord said. "These are events that have not yet happened."

"Well, this is more snow than usual," Sunset Shimmer said. "All right, Discord. Who are you taking me to?"

"No one, Sunset," Discord chuckled. "There's no one in this area. Everyone you know has moved away."

"Moved away," Sunset Shimmer asked. "That's impossible. The whole town can't just move away."

"They had no choice," Discord said. "They couldn't stand the cold."

"They moved away... because it was cold," Sunset Shimmer asked. "It's winter. It's always cold."

"If you're so sure, look around," Discord said. He gestured his lion paw across the town. "See for yourself."

Sunset Shimmer walked across the heavy snow field and explored the streets. She saw an animal shelter. She the entered and saw frozen floors and open cages.

"This is the animal shelter Fluttershy works," Sunset Shimmer said.

"Used to work," Discord said. He was in the front desk chair reading a newspaper. "It's a shame, really. Out of all my pony friends in Equestria, Fluttershy was the only one who ever gave me the benefit of the doubt, no matter what I did. It's too bad she had to save her animals and leave on such horrible terms."

Sunset Shimmer continued his walk and entered a barn. It's been cleared out and icicles were hanging from the doorway.

"Applejack," Sunset Shimmer said.

Sunset Shimmer walked all across the city and visited all her friends' homes; Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and others. When she was done, she stopped and took a breath.

"Well, you got what you wanted," Discord said showing up out of nowhere. "You got to be alone. Now, what do you want? OOH!" He then materialized a snowman and spoke in a sing song voice. "Do you want to build a snowman?" Sunset Shimmer didn't turn her head in response. "It doesn't have to be a snowman." Sunset Shimmer still said nothing. "Okay, bye."

"Discord, what happened," Sunset Shimmer asked. "Why would it be too cold for anyone?"

"Look up and see for yourself," Discord said pointing his eagle claw up.

Sunset Shimmer looked into the sky and saw a spiral of clouds circling over the town. She squinted her eyes and got a better look. There were four ghost-like phantoms shaped like ponies swirling in the sky. They were able to be seen through and they blew cold winds from their mouths and snouts.

"Windigoes," Sunset Shimmer gasped.

"Yes, Windigoes," Discord said. "Winter creatures that use conflict to freeze entire lands."

"I don't understand," Sunset Shimmer said. "Windigoes are Equestrian creatures. How did they get here? What brought them here?"

"Not what, who," Discord said. "And the answer is, you."

Sunset Shimmer blinked her eyes twice and studdered. "I... I don't... Me? How?"

"Because of how you disregard Christmas," Discord said materializing a chalk-board with drawings. "As you know, these things hate harmony. Since you greatly rejected the holly, jolly holidays by pushing away your friends' help, you accidently attracted the Windigoes and gave them enough power to cause a great blizzard."

"The one that caused the other students to be stuck in the school," Sunset Shimmer realized. "And this must be what Princess Celestia had meant when she said I brought danger to my world."

"Of course," Discord said. "As long as your Christmas feelings are indifferent, the Windigoes are staying in this world."

"But... why are they still here," Sunset Shimmer asked looking at the Windigoes. "Why would they stay when this town is empty?"

"I didn't say it was empty, Sunset," Discord said.

"But you said..." Sunset Shimmer said.

"I said that everyone you know moved away," Discord repeated. "There is still someone here in town who's charging their strength; someone who refused to talk to her friends after trying to help her; someone who was too devastated to even care about what was going on outside."

Sunset Shimmer widened her eyes. Discord snapped his eagle claw and the two saw the inside of Sunset Shimmer's living room. The blinds were closed and the living room was still trashed with broken Christmas decorations. Sunset Shimmer looked and saw herself sitting in the corner. The Sunset Shimmer in the corner buried her face in her arms and knees and didn't raise them.

"No," Sunset Shimmer gasped. "What have I done? Where are all my friends?"

"Friends, Sunset," Discord scoffed. "You prefer to spend Christmas alone. Don't you remember?"

Suddenly, Discord breathed out a mist of purple smoke. The smoke then formed images. The first one showed unicorn Sunset Shimmer talking to Sir Fairsalot.

"Lock the doors and don't let anyone in," the unicorn said. "I prefer being alone now."

The image then changed into Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry's break up.

"CHRISTMAS IS NEVER FRIENDLY," the younger Sunset Shimmer shouted.

One last image appeared. It was earlier when Sunset Shimmer shouted at everyone at the Christmas party.

"I TOLD YOU EXACTLY WHAT I DIDN'T WANT," she shouted, "BUT YOU GAVE IT TO ME ANYWAY!"

The purple smoke cleared and Discord looked down at Sunset Shimmer who was breathing heavily.

"You see," Discord asked. "You haven't changed as much as you thought. You're still as much a Scrooge as you were before. Even tonight, all you ever did was think of yourself."

"No, I didn't," Sunset Shimmer protested. She then changed her face confused and unsure. "Did I?"

"What's the point of you having friends when you're not letting them help with your personal problems," Discord asked. "Your friends did try to get you to come out. They knocked on your door and called out your name, but you didn't even consider answering them. This is the future, Sunset Shimmer, and you caused it."

"Discord, earlier, you said these are events that have not yet happened," Sunset Shimmer said. "So does this mean I can stop the Windigoes before they come to this world?"

"Stop the Windigoes before they come to this world," Discord repeated with shock. "Have you not been paying attention, red? Your tantrum at the party interacted with the Equestrian magic you brought to this world and it already brought the Windigoes here! It's too late to stop them from coming because they're already here!"

"Well... then help me stop them," Sunset Shimmer said grabbing the base of Discord's robe. "With our combined magic, we can..."

"Not even get their attention," Discord interrupted pushing Sunset's hands off his robes. "Your emotional problems have given the Windigoes more power than me. And no one from Equestria will come to help because the big freeze has frozen the gateway shut."

"No," Sunset Shimmer gasped. "Please, Discord, tell me my emotion only made the Windigoes freeze the town; just the town."

"I can't do that," Discord said. "I'm trying to be as honest as Applejack and I wouldn't want to lie."

"How far is this storm," Sunset Shimmer asked with absolute fear trembling in her voice.

"Well..." Discord held up a spinning globe and it was completely covered with ice. Sunset Shimmer was devastated when she saw it. "This much, at least."

"No. No, no!" She turned to her future self. She knelt down and tried to shake her, but her hands just went through her future body. "Sunset, you've got to get ahold of yourself! The world is freezing! You've got to change!"

"Merry Christmas, Sunset Shimmer," Discord said with a grin. Sunset Shimmer turned to Discord for some more advice, but he then faded right in front of her. He disappeared with no trace.

"DISCORD, WAIT," Sunset Shimmer shouted. "PLEASE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I'M NOT THE GIRL I WAS BEFORE! WHY WOULD YOU SHOW ME THIS IF I WAS PAST ALL HOPE!? YOU'VE GOT TO TELL ME HOW I CAN FIX ALL THIS! I WILL CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS EVERY YEAR FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! I WILL LIVE IN THE PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE! JUST TELL MY I HAVE THE CHANCE TO GET UP FROM THAT CORNER! DISCORD, PLEASE! YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME TOO!"

Sunset Shimmer then balled into the corner in place of her future self. Her future self faded as soon as Sunset Shimmer sat down. She started to sob with only the sound of the Windigoes' howls outside to keep her company. She then sang a familiar song.

"United, we stand. Divided, we fall

Why does everyone leave me

This is the holiday for joy

So why am I not happy

Where is the dad who's there for his girl

Where can I find some love in the world

There's no one left there for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Author's Note:

Yes, I took a bit of the dialogue from the original story and put it in here and altered it a bit. On another note, that is all of Sunset Shimmer's visions. She has learned of what has happened, what is happening, and what could most likely be. The only question now is, what is she going to do about it?