• Published 6th Dec 2014
  • 935 Views, 9 Comments

Love's Light: The Dragon Wars: A Window to the Past - Phoenix Skyfire



The dragons start a war to regain their "Honor"

  • ...
2
 9
 935

Nexus, City of Dragons

Chapter two: Nexus, City of Dragons
Spike

‘I hope my instincts are wrong and this war council is not about Equestria.’ I thought to myself as I walked down a dirt path within Nexus, capital city of Drakonia.

I came here to Nexus with hopes of finding out more about the dragons as a race. I am a dragon myself, but I was raised by ponies in Equestria, so I knew very little about them before coming here.

“Hey Spike, wait for me will ya?” A high voice called out from above me, causing me to look up.

“Oh, hey Stormfly,” I called out, waving to the sapphire-blue dragon. “What are you doing around here? Normally you’re closer to the palace.”

“I came looking for you, hot shot,” she said, landing next to me and having to look up just a little to look me in the eyes. “Did you hear about King Bahamut making a speech come sunset to all dragons?"

"No, I didn't. What is it going to be about?" I asked.

"I dunno to be honest, but if I had to guess. It's going to be about the war council."

"Would you happen to know what the war council was about?" I asked her, concerned for Equestria's safety.

"In all honesty, no I don't. A war council hasn't been called in a long time. We've had plenty of fights in the past, but it never went to the point of calling war."

'What could have made the dragons go to a war with anyone?' I thought to myself, crossing my arms.

"Listen, Spike. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out till the speech? We could head for the flight arena. I can get us in pretty easy." Stormfly asked, looking away slightly. "You always say how much you enjoy flying since you got your wings."

Hearing Stormfly's voice shook me from my thoughts. Luckily I was able to hear what she was saying.

"Sure thing. I have nothing planned for today." I said to her, smiling.

She smiled back before opening her wings and jumping into the air, signaling for me to follow her. I opened my wings, which were folded on my back, and jumped into the sky following the blue dragoness.

A trip that would have taken us an hour on the ground only took us fifteen minutes by air.

While the trip wasn’t very long, I passed many structures. One of the most treasured structures was a statue of King Jormundgand, the king that founded Drakonia, and King Ouryu, the king that lead the dragons to victory in the ‘Southern Isles War’.

Another structure was the Grand Coliseum, near the edge of town. It was one of the reasons I decided to stay on the outskirts. The Grand Coliseum was a place any dragon could go to try their claw at any handful of events. It even held Drakonia’s largest library, which I'm sure my mom would flip out about if she saw it. It almost rivaled that of Canterlot’s Royal Archive.

"I'll meet you by the entrance, okay?" Stormfly called out ahead of me, pulling my sight back forward.

"No problem. See you there." I said, adjusting my flight path for the entrance.

As I landed in front of the flight arena, I noticed no one else was around.

'I thought there would be someone here. A guard or something.' I thought to myself, as I waited for Stormfly.

I saw Stormfly walk out of the main entrance to the flight arena. I tilted my head wondering how she got in there so easy.

"Sorry for the wait. The arena is all ours though." Stormfly said, smiling to me.

"How did you get in there so easy? And why is there no one at the door?" I asked, confused.

"To tell you the truth. Today I had already asked for use of the arena. I was gonna practice some stunt flying, so I could maybe make it into the 'Soaring Flames'."

"What are the 'Soaring Flames'? I've never heard of them."

"Thats not a big surprise to be honest. They don't travel around a lot, but you can think of them like your 'Wonderbolts'. They are the fastest and most agile of all dragons," She said proudly. "From the first time I saw them fly, I wanted to join, but I never thought I would be good enough. I try to practice as much as I can though so maybe one day I can join them."

"Is that why I see you always flying?" I asked her, while I thought about Rainbow.

'I think Rainbow and Stormfly would be good friends. They both enjoy flying a lot.' I thought to myself.

"One of the reasons, yes. We can talk about my other reasons some other time thought. Why don't we see how well you can use those wings of yours." She said, taking off in the direction of an obstacle course.

I opened my wings and followed after her.

Stormfly and me spent the next few hours flying the obstacle course, but thanks to all of her training so far I was unable to keep up with her. I sat there exhausted from trying to keep up with the blue dragoness.

"Little to much for you, Hot Shot?" She asked, standing next to me.

"Shut up, Storm. I'm not as experienced in flying as you are." I told her, trying to catch my breath.

Stormfly just stood beside me laughing, as I was able to fully stand up.

"Come on, Spike. We don't want to be late for the speech." She said to me, opening her wings and taking off towards the palace in the distance.

'Damn mare. Sometimes I think she does this just to torture me.' I thought to myself, opening my own wings and following after the sapphire dragon.

Luckily for me the flight arena was built close to the palace, so it didn't take me long to get there. It did sadden me slightly knowing Stormfly would be in a different location than me for the speech.

When I arrived at the palace, I couldn't believe my eyes. There were so many dragons standing outside, some even perched on pillars and buildings to hear the speech. I looked around trying to find someplace to stand so I could hear the speech myself but there wasn't much room left, till I heard a voice call out my name.

"Hey, Spike! Down here. I saved a spot for you." A brown dragon called out to me.

I smiled and swooped down and landed beside him.

"Hey Meatlug. Thanks a lot. I was trying to find a decent place to stand." I said, grasping his claw with my own.

"Where in this flame loving world were you? I was trying to find you earlyer."

"Over at the flight arena with Stormfly. Why were you looking for me?"

"To tell you about the speech. I didn't think you would have heard about it, always staying so far out," he answered me smiling, before his smile dropped. "Wait. You were in the flight arena with Stormfly? How in the world? She never invites anyone along with her when she goes there. Always says something about 'someone else will just slow me down' or something along those lines."

"Really? She has been inviting me along for the last few months, since I got here." I told Meatlug, wondering why Stormfly has only invited me along with her.

"Damn your..." Meatlug started to say before a horn sounded in the distance. "We can finish this after the speech you damn lucky dragon. That horn meant King Bahamut is about to come out."

I nodded to him before looking up at a single balcony on the palace walls. That is when I saw him, a giant of a dragon walking onto the balcony. His scales an azure blue. Claws and talons white like diamonds. His wings folded up against his back, but ready to spring open at a moments notice.

"My fellow dragons, I stand before you now, just returned three days past, from our battle in the northern isles with the hydras. We stand victorious this day, in the face of a mighty foe." King Bahamut called out to everyone.

I looked around myself, noticing nearly everyone cheering. I had to admit, while at times King Bahamut seemed ruthless, there were times such as now when he shined.

"But, that is not that main reason I called us here today. Nineteen hundred years ago, my grandfather founded this land we live on today after we were thrown out of our old home. Since that time we have lived in relative peace with nearly all others. I've had a dream for a long time since my father was king. This dream is for us to return to our former home and remove the ‘blight’ that holds it." He continued to say, while everyone was cheering.

'I have a bad feeling this is about to turn south very fast.' I thought to myself, continuing to look up at King Bahamut.

"Now my subjects. The time is now. Thousands of years ago Discord came and overpowered us all. Now we dragons shall go, to reclaim our former glory. To show Equestria, who is the strongest. To show all, that we are the mightiest of them all!"

I stared up at the king with horror. My instincts were right. War is coming to Equestria.

'I have to return and warn mom,' I thought to myself, looking around, still hearing the king speak but not paying attention. 'I don’t want anyone to see me leave though.'

I ducked down and maneuvered around everyone till everyone was behind me still cheering the king as he spoke. I didn't want to leave without saying something to Stormfly, but I had no choice.

I opened my wings when I was far enough away and took off, flying as fast as my wings would carry me, heading for Equestria.

‘I just hope Dash’s advice on speed flying helps me here,’ I thought to myself, ascending higher into the sky. ‘The winds up high are a great deal faster. If I can find the right current, it should only take me half the time it took getting here. I just hope I don't grab the wrong one.’

As I felt the winds picking up around me I remembered something Rainbow told me.

“Just remember Spike. Flying higher in the sky is a great deal faster than lower because of the wind currents, but also a lot more dangerous. If you go into a wrong air current, it can lock your wings and put you in a nose dive, or worse, lock your wings against your sides.” Rainbow said to me, after my wings had fully grown.

‘You taught me well, Dash. Now to prove to myself, that your faith in me was not a mistake.’ I thought to myself, angling myself into an air current.

The instant I entered the current I knew I had chosen right. I could feel my wings pulling me on their own, as wind filled them from behind. I had never flown at this speed before, never having reason to use air currents. I promised Dash I would never use them unless I felt the need was great enough.

“I’ll be there as quick as I can mom.” I said outloud to myself, as I let the winds pull me towards Equestria.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed Spikes Debut into The Dragon Wars. if you have any comments or concerns let me know.

big thanks to elmago02 for helping me out.
big thanks to Tschloken for Editing

This is Phoenix Skyfire
Signing Off.