• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 4,469 Views, 42 Comments

Parties and Butterflies - angryfrenchfry



A small love story between a party pony and her shy friend.

  • ...
9
 42
 4,469

A Need For Answers

Pinkie slept throughout the night. She didn't wake up once, nor did she toss or turn. She simply lay there as if she was a rock. Gummy was next to her, sleeping soundly while his mouth was clamped on a small bit of the pink ponies hair. If anypony was to walk in Pinkies room, it would look like she was at peace. That nothing was wrong, but that wasn't the case. Inside Pinkie Pies fun-loving brain, there was a terrible nightmare going on.

"No, stay back," Pinkie screamed as she was being cornered. "Stop making fun of me!" Surrounding her were 5 other ponies that looked just like her best friends in the world. There was Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, and Fluttershy. They were all laughing at Pinkie as she fell to her back haunches on the ground, crying. Pinkie had decided to tell them about her feelings towards Fluttershy and they all rejected her and repulsed her for being a filly-fooler. She had no where to run. Just then, Princess Celestia and her younger sister, Princess Luna appeared.

"Pinkamena Diane Pie!" They said in unison. "You have humiliated Ponyville, your family, and yourself by this 'filly-foolery'!" Luna spoke with her royal Canterlot voice. "You must face the consequences to such behaviour!"

"By the power vested in me, Princess Celestia or Equestria, I hereby banish you to the Everfree Forest where you shall live in exile." Celestia shouted.

"No! Please! I'm sorry! Don't do this!" Pinkie was crying.

"Please! No!" Pinkie screamed as she awoke from her terrible dark dream. She felt tear drops running down from her eyes, along her pink cheeks towards her chin. Pinkie looked around the room to see where she was and if anypony was around. After seeing that she was alone in her apartment, she lay back down and began to sob into her pillow. Why was this happening to her? Pinkie's mind was so full of this Fluttershy problem that she couldn't even focus on partying or even getting Gummy his breakfast. She took a deep breath as the crying died down a bit. Looking over at the clock she noticed it was almost noon already. The nightmare felt like it had lasted a lifetime to Pinkie. After a few more minutes of laying in her pink bed, petting her emotionless alligator, she decided to get up. After all, she had to go see Twilight today. Hopefully she knew what to do.

Mr. And Mrs. Cake were downstairs in the bakery cooking up all kind of sweets. From cupcakes to cookies, Sugar Cube Corner had all your pastry needs. There was always a nice smell to the place that Pinkie loved. As she came out of her room, she gave a weak smile towards the smell of freshly baked pink cupcakes. Usually, Pinkie would of been hopping down the stairs to start her work as a baker whilst the Cake's went to make delivery's to customers, but today, Pinkie walked slowly down the steps of the sweet shop with a straight face on. When she turned the corner to the kitchen, Mr. Cake immediately noticed that something was off.

"Good morning Pinkie," He said with a nice voice. "How did you sleep? We didn't hear a single bounce from you last night."

"Morning Mr. Cake. It was a rough night to be honest. Bad dreams" Pinkie said while putting on a bakers hat.

"Oh, well are you doing alright today? You don't seem like yourself." Mr. Cake questioned.

Pinkie could see the concern in his eyes and she could hear it in his voice. She loved the Cake's. They were always so nice and helpful to her. No matter what the problem was, either one of them could help and were not afraid to.

"There is just a lot on my mind, you know?" Pinkie finally said. "I know that baking some things will make me feel a bit better though. Don't worry about me."

"Well alright Pinkie. Remember, we are always here for you." He said.

"Thanks Mr. Cake." Pinkie said with a smile.

Taking that as the end of their conversation, Mr. Cake went back to his business tending to a few ponies at the sundae bar. Pinkie started to cook some sweets and hum to herself a a song about cupcakes. It really did take her mind off of things. She planned in her head how she was going to tell Twilight about this strange feeling that had come over her towards Fluttershy. Maybe the best way to do it was to just straight out say it. Pinkie was a bit nervous but knew Twilight would understand.

A few hours went by and Pinkie Pie was still in the kitchen of Sugar Cube Corner making treats. It was almost like she was her normal self again, but she knew she wasn't. As time passed she started to sing aloud while she was cooking. It made her feel much, much better about the whole situation.

"All you have to do is take a cup of flower, add it to the mix! Then just take something sweet not sour, a bit of salt, just a pinch! Baking these treats is so much fun, take a teaspoon of vanilla! You add a little more and you count to four or you'll never get your filla!" Pinkie sang happily. She was feeling really good about herself right now.

About one hour later she finally decided to take a break. She sat down at a table in the shop and ate some cupcakes with glee. It was time to think hard about how she was going to tell Twilight what's been on her mind. Pinkie sat there for a few minutes pondering suggestions in her head. Taking a few bites of her many cupcakes every once and a while, she sprang up with confidence.

"Alright Pinkie! You have to do this! You can do this! I will do this!" She shouted aloud as many ponies turned around to look at her with odd expressions on their faces. Most of them just shrugged it off because they figured it was just Pinkie being herself. Pinkie's mind was made up. She was going to tell Twilight how she felt about Fluttershy. It was the only way that her book-worm friend could actually help her. The party pony finished off her last cupcake and was on her way towards the door of the shop. Confidently, she was halfway out the door when she heard a familiar voice.

"Incoming!" A raspy voice yelled. WOOSH! SMACK! A cyan Pegasus pony with a rainbow mane crashed right into Pinkie as she was leaving the sweet store. Both ponies were wrapped around each other on the ground recovering from the crash. Rainbow Dash was the first to get up.

"Whoa! Sorry Pinkie Pie! I was trying a new trick. Didn't really go so well." She said with a chuckle. "Let me help you up."

"Ooof! Wow Rainbow Dash, good landing!" Pinkie said as she laughed a bit. That was her first laugh in a while.

Rainbow helped Pinkie to her hooves and dusted her off. Rainbow Dash was the best flier ever. She was brave, bold, and very competitive! Pinkie always liked to watch her rainbow maned friends perform tricks and show off. Rainbow Dash even once did a Sonic Rainboom, witch was the most awesome thing a Pegasus pony could do!

"Thanks Rainbow. What kind of new trick are you working on this time?" Pinkie asked.

"Well, I was trying to do five loopdy-loops in a row then land on top of Sugar Cube Corner. I guess I didn't really factor in the winds and stuff. But it's ok, I still look awesome crashing!" Rainbow said sticking her chest out to seem tough.

"Oooooh! That sound super-duper cool!" Pinkie said with a smile. She was feeling much better now that she had a friend to talk to. "Sorry I can't really stay and chat for long. I was heading over to Twilgihts to ask her about some...things." A hit on nervousness came over Pinkie.

"Things? Well, that's ok Pinkie. Hey, what do you say we prank somepony later on?" Rainbow asked with a maniacal smile.

"Sure, maybe Rainbow. I might be busy with...things." Pinkie grew even more nervous. She could tell Rainbow was starting to wonder.

"Uh, alright Pinks. I guess I'll see you around." Rainbow Dash then flew away as fast as she arrived.

Pinkie let out a sigh of relief as her friend flew away towards the clouds. No doubt Rainbow would ask her if something was going on sooner or later. But for now, Pinkie avoided all questions being thrown at her about why she was acting odd. She continued her way towards the library where Twilight Sparkle lived. She started hopping down the road to make herself feel a tad better from the awkward moment with Rainbow that she had created. Nevertheless, the only thing that Pinkie focused on was talking to Twilight. She continued down the road as the library came closer with ever bounce.

SWEET APPLE ACRES

Around 3:30pm

Rainbow Dash was flying fast over the sweet apple trees of the Apple family orchard. The smell of apples ran threw her nose and the wind blew her mane and tail. She was enjoying the flight very much. She was closing in on the barn where Applejack was working on painting it a deep shade of red. Rainbow Dash had just spoken to Pinkie and she noticed that something was off. Applejack told Rainbow about her conversation with Pinkie the other day and knew it couldn't be just a coincidence. Rainbow landed just 10 feet from the barn where Applejack was working. She approached with a smile and got one in return.

"Afternoon partner!" Applejack said as she dropped the paint brush from her mouth and wiped some sweat off her brow. "What's going on?" She asked.

"Hey AJ. I just talked to Pinkie Pie and she was acting all strange. She said she was to busy with 'things' to go pranking with me. She was heading over to Twilight's." Rainbow stated.

"Well, Ah'm worried about her. She started getting all odd once I mentioned Fluttershy to her yesterday." Applejack had a confused look on her face.

"We need to find out what's going on. Maybe we can see if Rarity knows anything about it." Suggested Rainbow.

"Ah agree sugarcube. Maybe we can do that later. Say, you mind helping me with this barn?"

"Yeah sure. I don't really have much to do today. Let's get to it" Rainbow said.

TWILIGHT'S HOME/LIBRARY

Around 3:45pm.

As Twilight and Spike were cleaning up some books, there were three knocks on the door. Spike put down a pile of books and went to open the door. He was greeted by a pink bouncing party pony that simply bounced right into the hollow tree. Pinkie looked around at the piles of books everywhere and she wondered how this place gets to messy all the time. But that was a different thought for a different day.

"Hi Twilight! Hi Spike!" Pinkie said, excitedly. "How are you guys?"

"Hey Pinkie Pie! I'm fine but Spike is little annoyed by all these books" Twilight said looking at Spike.

"Well that's gooood! I was wondering if I could talk to you about something Twilight. It's super-duper important too!" Pinkie said.

"No problem Pinkie! Come on, let's go into the other room." Twilight pointed towards the stairs. "Spike, could you please keep cleaning? I'll be back soon."

Spike gave out a small grunt of annoyance as Twilight and Pinkie made there way up the stairs of the library. Pinkie looked like she was her normal self and Twilight didn't know what Pinkie had wanted to talk about. She just went along with it. Inside Pinkies brain, thoughts were bouncing all around. She knew that she had to tell her friend what she had been feeling, but how? But she already knew how, she was simply too nervous. The two continued up the stairs and Pinkie kept on wondering to herself, how on earth would Twilight react?