• Published 20th Nov 2014
  • 1,207 Views, 25 Comments

Lunestia Trucking Inc: The Beginning - mangoodbad13



Alex is a regular guy. He drives a tractor trailer for a living and wants nothing more from life than to get by. The ruling sisters might have other ideas though.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,207

Chapter 2

"Ok do you see that dock over there?" Twilight said, putting her foreleg up on the dash while pointing with the other.

"Yeah I see it, and would ya mind not getting my seat dirty by standing on it?" Alex glanced over at her hind legs standing on his seat.

"Don't worry, when I teleported all of the stuff that wasn't a part of me was left behind. See?" She said lifting a hoof to show Alex. He shook his head and turned the steering wheel to begin setting up to back into the dock.

"Going to be a little tight I think. Why are there so many carts in the way?" Alex complained looking at the abandoned carts scattered in front of the dock. It was still dark outside, his truck's clock showing 2:00am. Not that he trusted it at this point.

"Normally we don't have shipments coming in that need so much space. Do you want me to move some of them?" Twilight asked, her horn giving off a soft purple glow.

"What and tarnish my honor as a trucker? I don't think so. I'll park this big girl in there one way or another. Besides, even if I hit one of the carts, I doubt it would hurt my trailer. Wood doesn't stand up well to steel," Alex said with a small chuckle.

"Oh alright then," Twilight gave a small sigh and sat back down in the seat. If Alex didn't know any better, he'd think she wanted to show him something.

The truck hummed as it lined up with the dock and finally with a small shudder the bumper pads came to a rest against the open air dock.

"Did you really have to hit it that hard?" Twilight asked as Alex pulled the parking brakes, letting out a loud rush of air.

"Well I suppose not, but it's dark. Anyway, it felt worse in here than it actually was. With all the air suspension stuff my girl has, she's a bit of a drama queen when it comes to bumps."

"If you say so. Come on, the Princesses are waiting for us." Twilight said, using her magic to open her door.

Alex looked around at the dark, empty streets. He couldn't see anyone or anything else. The streets were dimly lit with small lanterns. Getting in here hadn't been hard. The truck had taken up the entire street but they didn't have to make any turns until the arrived at the back of the castle. Cobblestone streets were a bit rough to drive on but Alex didn't see a reason to drive fast down such narrow roads anyway.

"Twilight, are you sure I'm supposed to be here? If what you said earlier is true, and you ponies are the main residents of this land-"

"Equestria," Twilight cut in.

"-then why do you need me here?" Alex finished.

"We have a job for you. The Princesses will explain when we get inside. Don't worry, nothing is going to happen to you here. From what I understand, our world is much, much safer than your own." Twilight gave Alex a reassuring smile then neatly hopped down to the ground.

"If you say so," Alex muttered climbing down himself. Making his way around the truck he gave a wistful look at his truck and the bed within.

As the pair made their way around the castle, Alex couldn't help but feel even more out of place. There were flower beds lining the small walkway they followed and every shrub and small tree was manicured to perfection. Looking further out past shrubs, Alex could see the lawn was equally well manicured. Not a single blade of grass stood taller than the rest and the lanterns placed along the walkways gave the area a magical appearance.

Normally, the places Alex delivered to or picked up from were gigantic warehouses the size of small cities. The grass was always brown with many bare patches and there were rarely any trees. It was a nice change but certainly one that would take some getting used to.

As they neared the main entrance, Alex had to consciously keep his mouth closed. The entire castle was perfectly white. It appeared ghostly against the night sky. The wide front stairs were white as well, not a single piece of dirt marred it's perfect surface.

When they reached the top of the stairs, Alex noticed a couple of ponies wearing armor. He assumed they were guards. Twilight walked up to them and the brown pony with wings, a Pegasus Twilight had called them, spoke.

"Good to see you made it back safely, Princess Twilight. Princess Celestia and Luna will see you now. They're waiting in Princess Celestia's study." He said.

"Thank you sir," Twilight said as she walked past the two guards. No knowing what else to do Alex followed along behind her. As he passed them they never broke their forward stare and let him pass uncontested.

They made their way down several short hallways until they came to a small wooden door. Twilight knocked twice before pushing the door open to reveal four ponies. They all sat around a small table that was littered with papers and maps.

"Glad you made it back, Twilight," the larger white pony said. Like Twilight, she had a horn and wings, though her mane was rainbow colored and flowed in a breeze that didn't exist.

"And Alex, glad you came on such short notice," the dark blue pony said. She was nearly the size of the white one but not quite. Her mane seemed to be the night sky, several small points of light against a black background.

Alex stood at the door looking around as Twilight took a seat opposite the two larger ponies. "Uh yeah no problem. I didn't really seem to have a choice in the matter though," Alex said as he took a couple of steps into the room.

"Please sit," the white pony said. "My name is Princess Celestia and this is my sister Princess Luna," Celestia said, using a hoof to indicate herself then the darker pony next to her.

Alex, feeling more confident, took up a seat next to Twilight. On his left at the end of the table was a dark brown unicorn with a white mane and tail. A couple of brown streaks stood out against the stark white of the rest of her mane.

"Now we can begin. Luna, would you mind explaining to Alex why we've brought him here?" Celestia said.

"Certainly sister. Alex, we have need of your service and the service of your truck," Luna began.

"Oh well it's not exactly my truck. I drive for a company you see, and they're the ones who actually own it, I just drive it."

"Indeed well we actually purchased your truck from the company you used to work for three days ago."

"You what? Wait used to work for? What-"

Luna held up a hoof. "Do not worry Alex, you will be paid for your time here. By our estimates you will earn a year's salary within the next two months. We believe that will be more than enough time for you to find a new job since we turned in your resignation for you. Not to mention, your truck was officially yours three days ago."

Alex realized his mouth had been hanging open. "You bought my truck and made me quit my job? How could you have done that from here? Have you been to my world? Why wasn't that on the news?"

"We have been aware of your world for about 1500 years. Once every month, a gate opens between your world and ours. Star Swirl the Bearded found a way to force the gates to open in one location in our world. In yours however, they appear randomly. By our best estimation equestria sits in the same location in our world as your United States does in yours," Luna said, pausing to take a sip of tea.

"Ok so if I understand this correctly, I can't go home for a month whether or not I take this job."

"I'm afraid so," Luna finished looking to her sister for help.

Celestia spoke up, "Alex, you must understand that we are desperate. The freight you will be hauling is important to the well being of all of Equestria."

Alex rubbed a hand over his face trying to grasp what the ponies wanted from him. "So for two months' worth of driving, you're willing to give me a truck and a year's salary?"

Luna nodded her head, "Indeed."

Alex sat back in his chair. The year's salary was nice but the truck was a much bigger deal. It would take him another five years at least to be able to afford his own. Being away from the world for a couple months might not be bad either. It wasn't common for him to stay on the road for three or more months at a time. He didn't have much reason to go home, nobody was waiting for him.

"What's the catch?" Alex finally spoke up after a minute of silence.

"Well I suppose we should tell you about what you will be moving. As we told you it's important to the wellbeing of Equestria and carrying something that valuable isn't without it's risks," Luna said levitating a paper to Alex. It was a drawing of a tower.

"This will be your freight. It is a kind of magic amplifier that must be taken to the Crystal Empire in the frozen north. Without it, an ancient evil will be able to reclaim that empire and eventually spread to the rest of Equestria," Luna finished.

"Ancient evil sounds pretty ominous and ambiguous," Alex said eyeing the paper. According to the measurements listed it was 50 feet long and weighed 55,000lbs.

Celestia closed her eyes and made a face like she was remembering something unpleasant, "His name is King Sombra. A year ago, Twilight's brother and another princess drove him from the Crystal Empire. He was the former ruler but turned to dark magic and turned his subjects to solid crystal."

"That sounds dangerous, but what's the danger to me?" Alex asked, feeling his stomach tighten.

This time, Twilight spoke up, "Well this amplifier has the ability to, of course, amplify magic but it also repels dark magic. The only problem is the amplification effect extends much further than the repelling effect. At least until it gets placed under the Crystal Heart in the Crystal Empire."

"I still don't understand the danger," Alex said giving a blank look to Twilight. "If it repels dark magic, won't he be unable to touch me?"

"Well yes however, we expect him to follow you for your entire journey. He will be able to gain strength by staying in range of the amplification. We estimate it would take him two months to be able to over come the repelling effect and attack you directly."

"Ok how far are we talking here because in a month I can do 10,000 miles without really trying," Alex said.

"Yes in your world however, in ours we don't have the same roads you do. In fact the road to the Crystal Empire is considered one of the most dangerous roads in Equestria. It's rarely traveled these days since the railroad was completed. It will probably take you a month to get there and a month back," Celestia said.

"Are you sure my truck can even fit down it?" Alex asked.

"Yes." Alex jumped. The pony to his left had been the one to speak.

"I see and what makes you so sure?"

"Because I traveled that road myself to scout it out."

"I suppose we should introduce our other two guests. This-" Luna extended a hoof toward the dark brown unicorn, "is Navi. She's one of the best navigators and cartographers in Equestria. And this-" Luna extended her hoof toward Alex's right indicating a steel gray unicorn with a dark green mane, "is Gear Wrench. He's one of Equestria's fore most ponies on mechanical engineering."

Gear left his chair and walked over wearing a grin and extended his hoof. "Nice to meet you Alex, I'll be taking care of any mechanical needs you may have."

Alex took the offered hoof and gave it a shake trying to figure this odd pony out.

"I just love the machines of your world, everything about your trucks sings to perfection I could never hope to attain. I've spent quite long time working on trucks from-"

"AHEM!" Celestia cleared her throat loudly.

"Right, um, first off we shall begin work on installing additional fuel tanks to your trailer for the long trip. We expect to have ten more 75 gallon tanks by tomorrow night. I understand your truck has two 150 gallon tanks?"

"Er yeah, mine is one of the few that does though I'm down to about 150 gallons between them."

"No problem we will fill them up along with the 750 gallons of additional fuel."

"How are you getting fuel exactly?" Alex asked raising an eyebrow toward the sisters.

"We have contacts in your world and several of them are high up in your government," Celestia clarified.

"I see well if you'll give me a map and some time to sleep I'll get rolling as soon as I can," Alex said, giving a small yawn.

"How about we give you a navigator instead?" Navi said moving over to stand next to Alex.

"That would work too I guess but is it really necessary?"

"Yes I believe it will be. From what Gear has told me, people in your world use automated maps. Do you think you could read this?" Navi said, picking up a map from the table in her mouth and handing it to Alex.

He considered the map for a moment before giving up. "Fair enough. This doesn't even look like a road map. To me it seems like a topographical map they told me about in school."

"Thought so. I'm very good at what I do so you'll be in save hooves." Navi finished, a smile on her face.

"Gear, can you make sure to pack a lot of food while you're working on my trailer? There's a small fridge in my sleeper so some small snacks would be nice along with a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be cold. There's plenty of storage under my bed."

"Certainly, we acquired some ready made meals from your world in preparation for this trip. I'm not sure how I feel about one who consumes meat but I suppose you are what you are."

Alex gave a nervous laugh as he realized he was in a world of herbivores. "Yeah I guess not." He suddenly felt very out of place and wanted to get back to his truck. "Well I don't know what time it is but I'm pretty tired."

"I have a room prepared for you to sleep in," Celestia said as she stood up.

"Oh no that's fine I'd feel better in my truck," Alex didn't think he could stand to be in the suddenly uncomfortable castle anymore. He stood up from his chair and walked over to the door. "Well if you need something from me knock on my door, I'll probably be asleep for a good ten hours."

"I shall come as well," Navi started walking toward the door.

"T-tonight? We're not leaving yet," Alex opened the door and slowly backed out as Navi approached him.

"Well if I'm going to be living in your truck for the next two months I might as well start now," Navi pushed a hoof against Alex's leg moving him out of the way.

"Fine then but you're taking the top bunk, bottom's mine."

The two made their way back to the truck. Alex opened the passenger door for Navi. She didn't move as she stared in amazement at the huge rig.

"Now I understand why Celestia was so specific about the road's width. I never imagined a machine this large could exist," Navi said, looking the truck and trailer over.

"Having seen this are you still sure we can make it in this?"

"Yes I believe so," Navi sat down on her rump and closed her eyes as her face wore a look of concentration.

Alex watched her for a moment before speaking up. "Um are you alright?"

Navi stood up. "Yeah I'm fine. My talent lets me visualize anywhere I've seen before. That includes large areas, such as the road we'll be taking."

"Oh ok. Well teleport on in, I'll get you a blanket." Alex said, gesturing to the open door.

"I can't. Or well, I can but it would exhaust me."

Alex furrowed his brow. "Twilight did it and she seemed fine."

"Yes but her talent IS magic. Normal unicorns can't do what she does."

"Oh ok well climb in then? I'll give you a boost."

Navi walked over to the open door and considered the steps on the side of the truck. She put her forelegs on the second steps and placed each of her real legs on the bottom step in turn. Just as she tried to bring one of her rear legs up to the top step she began to fall backward. Alex rushed forward and put a hand on each of her flanks.

"Hey watch where you're touching!" Navi yelled as Alex pushed her up into the truck. Finally she made it inside and hopped up on the seat, giving Alex a hard glare. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Uh keeping you from falling? Should I not have done that?"

Navi's expression softened and she turned back into the truck. "I'm watching you, Alex."

Alex felt his face reddened as he realized what he had done. He remembered the soft feel of her coat and the firm feel of her-

"What are you doing?" Came Navi's voice from the sleeper.

Alex pushed the thoughts away and climbed into the truck pressing a couple of switches on the dash. As the lights in the cab and sleeper came on he saw Navi sitting on the driver's chair looking at all the various switches and gauges.

"Ok so getting into the top bunk is going to be a bit easier." Alex said as he let the top bunk down from it's stored position. "These black pads are steps for you to get up there."

Navi jumped on the bottom bunk and inspected the steps. Eventually she made her way, ungracefully, onto the top bunk.

"Does this thing have heat?"

"Yeah hang on," Alex sat down on his bed and pushed the button for the bunk heater. "Just give it a minute and it'll be nice and toasty."

Alex opened one of the compartments and pulled out a blanket laying it on the bed in front of Navi who was watching him.

"There's a lot of headroom in here."

"Yeah my truck is a high roof model. They make mid and low roof models as well but they don't have the top bunk. My truck is meant for a team of two drivers but I don't get along with others that well."

"I can understand that feeling. I'm happiest when I'm on my own exploring places and creating maps."

Alex sat down on his bed and grabbed one of the extra pillows and tossed it onto the top bunk without looking.

"EEP!" Came his reply. "Watch where you're throwing things!"

Alex chuckled as he flicked a couple of switches next to his bunk turning out the lights. "Good night, Navi."

"Night Alex."

Author's Note:

This chapter came out much earlier than I was expecting. Everyone who favorites or gave a like really got my motivation going. Honestly, when I started writing this I wasn't expecting much. Maybe a few views and a thumbs down or 30 but you guys surprised me. Thanks for the love and I hope you enjoined this chapter.