• Published 24th Nov 2014
  • 917 Views, 39 Comments

Remember When - Cheesey Microwave



A month after Luna was sent to the moon, Celestia discovered a way to bring her back early.

  • ...
1
 39
 917

Remember When I Got Sick?

Somepony knocked on the door. "Your Highness, a letter."

"Slide it under the door."

The servant obeyed. A thick scroll made up of several different papers lay at the door, somewhat crushed by the process.

With a sigh, the princess set her whatever-it-was down- she still wasn't sure what it was going to be- and opened the letter. Five pieces of paper, each with different drawings of dresses, greeted her. It was a welcome distraction from the splintering wood and cold metals she had been working with for the past few hours; the only break she had taken was to raise the sun at precisely six o' clock A.M.

Let's see... ugly. Ugly. Huh, that's neat... ew, no. Ooh, I like this one!

The final picture was a dress with long sleeves. The fabric itself matched the pink in her mane, and Prince Storm had included notes as to what it was made of. The main fabric was wool, the blue and silver accents were cotton, the sleeves were silver silk, and she was to wear a silver necklace with a small yellow charm in the shape of her cutie mark.

She wrote a quick letter back asking him to come to the castle and discuss the dresses with her, then threw the rejected drawings away. Under no circumstances whatsoever would she wear anything like them.

Celestia then turned back to her work. So far, she had a miniature xylophone. Such a thing would lose its charm quickly, especially with its diminutive size.

Next to it was a wooden box with a hidden compartment. She tried putting the xylophone in the compartment, which really didn't improve anything.

Time for a break longer than five minutes. The princess trotted out of the spare room. She wasn't hungry, she didn't feel motivated to write, Prince Storm wasn't here yet, she didn't want to visit the school...

She glanced outside. The tower that had been invaded by the pegasus still stood there, inviting her to come and look around.

She squeezed out the window, stretched out to get rid of that awful cramped feeling, spread her wings and flew.

Inside was a dusty old mattress, a bureau draw, and a tall closet, all of which were emptied out. Musty feathers, thick chunks of dust, broken glass, yellowed scraps of paper and bits of yarn littered the floor.

Something in the corner of the room caught her eye. A faint glimmer of light, something silvery. When she picked it up with her hooves, she dropped it immediately; there were enough rough edges on it to qualify as a meat tenderizer. She then used her magic to bring it closer to her face. It was the very first tiara her mother had worn. Back then, it had much smoother edges. However, she did have an awful habit of wearing it, even in battle, and every here and there a sword struck it or a pegasus kicked it.

The tiara, in fact, had been her mother's undoing in one of the battles. Celestia couldn't help but snicker as she thought of it: the proud gray mare returning with a nasty scowl on her face, forced to explain to her children that they didn't have Fort Hoofton captured because her tiara fell off and she bent over to pick it up, resulting in an enemy striking her while her back was turned. She became confused, shouted the wrong order, chaos resulted, and they lost.

Something occurred to Celestia: Rosemary had been around for a long, long time. So long, in fact, that her own grandmother had been a proud soldier in her father's army and had told tales about it every day until her death. Rosemary had loved hearing it so much, and when Luna saw this, she gave her every artifact they owned that reminded her that they had indeed existed. Celestia hadn't fought that decision; after all, the less she thought about it, the better.

This became painfully obvious once she noticed the salty water pooling at her hooves. She had been weeping and she didn't even realize it.

Looking around for just a little more, she decided to pay her former nanny a quick visit. A delivery, really: to give her the one thing that hadn't been stolen.


"...I'm so sorry I didn't tell you before, Ce-Ce." The old mare looked at her hooves. "I-I just didn't want you getting worked up over it."

Celestia stared at the rough crown in her towel-wrapped hooves. "So... nothing was stolen?"

"No, no! Cloudy would never do something like that!" Rosemary seemed taken aback by that comment. "He's a good colt!"

"I'm sure he is. I didn't know who it was, so I just assumed..." She set the crown down. "How's that naked bird you caught doing?"

Rosemary stamped her hoof with surprising strength. "I'm telling you, Celestia, it's a phoenix! Go look at it now! I certainly wish you would've kept it in your room so you could watch. My poor son nearly broke his back lugging it over here!"

"Well, that's too bad. Think of him the next time you try to catch a bird." With a teasing smile on her face, Celestia trotted to the small room adjacent to Rosemary's. Inside was a birdcage. inside that birdcage was a pile of ashes. "Rosemary, you're right. This bird isn't naked at all!"

"Oh, did it go through the transformation already?" She slowly trotted over. A wide grin spread across her face. "Ooh, you'll see, Celestia!"

"See? What is there to-"

In a brilliant flash of light, something rose from the ashes. Something big. Something fiery.

Celestia's jaw dropped. "A... a..."

"A phoenix!" Rosemary danced around a little bit, her grin twisted into something wickedly funny. "My dear Celestia, you are going to keep this, and you are going to name it Philomena, after my grandmother. No buts! Take her and treat her like a daughter!"

The cage had been obliterated by the transformation, leaving a majestic phoenix quietly fluttering in the air.

"Don't be shy, now. Stick your foreleg out!"

Celestia did as she was told. Philomena flew over and settled on it, her talon grasping it firmly but not painfully.

"This is..."

"Yes, it's quite amazing," the green mare interrupted. "You should've kept it in your room, just like I said before! Maybe then you'd have been able to pick the name!"

A little bit of immaturity welled up inside of the elegant princess. "I can change the name if I want to," she huffed.

The former nanny made puppy-dog eyes. "You wouldn't refuse a dying mare's last request, would you?"

Celestia's face became grave. After shooing the bird off, she quietly wrapped her forelegs around Rosemary, closed her eyes, and mumbled, "Don't say that. Please don't say that."

Rosemary didn't argue.

The one-sided embrace lasted only a few moments, thanks to an unseen enemy slowly destroying Rosemary. "I need to get back into bed," she croaked. "I've had enough excitement for one day."

The snow white pony nodded and let go, sticking her foreleg out for Philomena. The phoenix almost immediately took her spot.

"She likes you, Ce-Ce! Treat her well!"

"I will." With a smile on her face, Celestia turned around and trotted away to the castle.

"What kind of cage should I get you?" she asked the bird.

Philomena said nothing, but she did nuzzle her new owner.

"Perhaps something fireproof... but it should also be elegant... nice and roomy, of course..." Celestia stopped trotting for a moment. "Where will I find something like that? You could melt gold with your fire, and I know diamond is able to be vaporize if heated up enough... after all, making a diamond cage would be ridiculously expensive, especially considering the size I have in mind..."

Once she got back to the castle, she had made up her mind about Philomena's cage.

"But, Your Highness," an old servant shouted, "that bird will get her... er... droppings... on the ground!"

"It's my decision. Philomena will be a free bird. I trust that she will come back to me when it's necessary and when I call her." Celestia gently moved her foreleg upward, causing Philomena to leave that spot and find a new one: the branches of the dead tree outside.

Celestia and the servant stared at her for a moment. "Philomena!" The princess stuck her foreleg out again. The phoenix didn't come.

Celestia trotted outside and did the same thing. This time, she came, but tried to herd Celestia and the old stallion away from the castle.

"The old bird's trying to trick you," he spat.

"Don't be ridiculous. Philomena... just doesn't like it, that's all. She can be an outside bird. just make sure nopony tries to capture her." The princess paused for a moment. "Actually, have somepony capable of holding a full-grown pony down do that. Who knows what might happen to her?"

He nodded and trotted away. Philomena returned to her tree, looking at Celestia almost forlornly.

Somewhat anxious, Celestia trotted back into the castle and up to her writing room. Something was wrong with the castle, she could see that now. Yes, Luna/Nightmare who-cares had practically destroyed it in her crazed state, but it had been fixed by some of the strongest unicorns in all of Equestria. It was sturdy. What had been built over decades couldn't have possibly been destroyed by one little tantrum, especially with all the repairs.

Her mind then turned to Rosemary. I don't even know what's wrong with her. I wish she weren't sick. I wish she were okay.

I wish, I wish, I wish...

Her mood brightened immediately as a memory came to mind.

I wish I could get this on paper fast enough!


Dear Luna,

How are you, I'm well, blah blah blah. This story is just too good clutter up! I promise I'll get all sappy when it's over, okay?

Now, it was just a few decades before Discord declared war on us. I had come down with an awful cold, and you were so scared that somepony might come and poison me- oh, why do I even need to say "somepony"? You were afraid of Discord! I swear, you always overestimated his powers. That draconequus wasn't anything the Elements of Harmony couldn't fix, right?

I swear, Luna, you're one strange pony.

Anyways, you had declared that nopony except for those you deemed "honest" would be allowed to see me or even come near my room in my weakened state. You were going to take care of me all by yourself.

Your first problem was that you couldn't remember if it was feed a cold and starve a fever, or the other way around. So, you just brought me lots of hot soup- I think it was broccoli soup, which I still hate with a fiery passion even after all these years- and told me to eat it. I tried to. I tried very, very hard. But it was, well... hard! After all, I thought I was going to hack my lungs out, and the vomit-inducing broth certainly wasn't helping matters.

The second problem was that you insisted on using that awful Royal Canterlot Voice whenever a doctor tried to come in and check on me. I would be moments away from dreamland, ready to doze off, when...

"I DO NOT NEED THY HELP! I DEMAND THAT THOU LEAVE US ALONE, FOR I SHALL NOT ALLOW ANY CHANCE FOR THE ATTACKER TO STRIKE WHILE MY SISTER IS WEAK!"

Here's a lesson, Luna: if you don't want ponies to try and kill us, don't scream to the whole world that I have a cold.

The third problem was that you were constantly asking me if I was okay, then demanding an answer approximately half a second later. This made my throat quite hoarse, which made it painful to cough too hard, which made me groan every time I finished a bout, which made you go into panic overdrive. You would teleport away, come back up with a doctor, ask his opinion, ask it again in the Royal Canterlot Voice, then poof him away when he said I just needed some rest.

"I am trying very hard to get her to rest!" you would say.

I would silently beg the doctor to kill me.

The fourth, final, and worst problem of them all was the fact that you. Would. Not. Stop. Looking. Out. The. Window.

Did you really think that any assassin would be so bold or so stupid as to climb through or come near the window? Well, certainly there were some, but they were all easily disabled. You seemed to have forgotten our training in Disarming, one that we both passed with flying colors.

The window was also the only source of light. It would bounce off the shiny objects, giving me something to look at other than your scowling face and the musty walls. I liked the shiny things. I felt like a little filly again, and I wanted to stare at the shinies.

But then Mean Old Luna would come and block my light, destroying the shinies' beauty immediately. When you moved away again, it just wasn't the same somehow. Ridiculous, I know, but it still aggravated me.

After half a day of this, you calmed down considerably and left for an hour or so. I fell asleep and had an awful dream about being in The Great Ending War. I did not go to sleep again.

When you came back up, you had the prettiest thing in your hooves: it was a small wooden box, with little carvings of flowers and jewels and faces on the side. It had a little crank at the bottom, and when you turned it, it would make noise.

In my sickly state of mind, I asked what in the world it was.

You said you really didn't know. "What would you like to call it, Ce-Ce?"

"A music box."

You rolled your eyes. "How creative."

"It's a box that makes music! It's a music box!" I pulled it out of your hooves with my magic and turned the crank as far as it would go. The resulting pings and dings created a soft lullaby, one that had never been named, only hummed by a certain mother of ours. We had never bothered to ask while she was alive, but you apparently had it memorized.

Once again, my lack of creativity shined as I dubbed the enchanting song "Noxia's Lullaby". You didn't argue, but you did roll your eyes once again.

As we sat and listened to the repeating tune, you placed a hoof on mine. "Feeling better?"

"A little bit."

We were silent until the song ended. "How did you make this?"

"Well..." You went on to explain the process, something I never bothered to listen to or remember. You had your little hobbies that I never really cared about, and I had my own. Letter-reading, for example. I can't help but wonder if, were we to be stuck on the moon together and some other entity wrote specifically to you, I would still have to read it out loud to you, or if you would be a big filly and read it yourself, unlike your time here on this planet. I do miss you dearly, though, and many have already forgotten you. Sometimes I wish I were stuck there with you, but I digress.

As I turned the crank again, you stopped me and un-turned it. I later tried doing that myself and nearly broke that darn thing.

"Celestia, stop. Listen."

The only sound was our breathing.

"What is it, Luna?"

You closed your eyes and let out a deep breath. "That is the sound of death, Celestia."

"I don't hear anything."

"Exactly. Your death is not coming today."

I paused for a moment. "Then why tell me?"

"Just stop for a moment. Keep listening."

I managed to keep quiet for about a minute. "I don't understand why you're making me do this."

"You hear nothing, for nothing has come to claim your life yet. Imagine, dear sister, what it might sound like if death were, indeed, coming you take you away. Wouldn't it be scary?"

"Why are you doing this, Luna?" I was cranky and agitated. I wanted you to say something comforting, not talk of my imminent doom. Alicorns have long lifespans, this I shan't deny, but we are most certainly not immortal, as I'm sure you know.

"If you ever, ever hear death coming, and it scares you, remember who's waiting for you to join them."

Those words have stuck with me, Luna.

I don't know why or how you thought of that. Perhaps it came to you out of your paranoia. Maybe it had been brewing in your mind for a long time.

Then, there's this scenario, the one I feared and suspected the most of all: you might have understood just how scared I was.

After all, Discord was no regular villain. Turned cruel by years of twisted thinking and chaos surrounding both sides of the battle, he could make you laugh as you were being physically tormented. He knew all sorts of mind tricks. He had spies everywhere, most of which were just disguised clones or rogue changelings. A typical creature wouldn't stoop so low as to stalking their enemy and waiting until they were sick to strike, but you never knew. After all, our former friend had spies and even some powerful allies. I understood your precautions and your intentions. Your execution was poor, but your heart was in the right place.

There had never been a time where your mixed personality shone more: you could be the most irrational pony in the world one second, then as forgiving, understanding, reasonable and deep as any philanthropic philosopher.

As I promised, I will end with as much sappiness as I can muster. I love you dearly, Luna, and it's awful to think that the true you has seen your error and are in a good enough mental state to comply without too many questions, yet you are still imprisoned. I love you more than this cursed quill can tell. I'm fairly sure that if I were in your position, I would've turned to the dark arts much sooner. I suppose that, since you were never one to thrust yourself into the spotlight, I assumed you didn't mind being ignored by all the ponies ungrateful for your night. Myself included.

It would seem that now, of all times, I would choose to spend more time in your- it is yours, and will never cease to be yours- glorious moonlight, but it saddens me far too much. I prefer the soft glow of the lantern as I write of these fond memories, able to communicate with you without allowing you to watch me cry.

Write back soon. Do not give in to the darkness again. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you. I can never say that too many times.

Truly, I've not an idea of what I have until it's been taken away.

With a love bigger than the sun and prettier than the moon,

Ce-Ce

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she put the seal on it and sent it. Just in time, too, for her servant then reminded her of her appointment with Prince Storm.

Who had been waiting for half an hour.

Embarrassed, Celestia rushed to the foyer, where the prince was patiently waiting with a small grin on his face. "Writing love letters to your special somepony, Auntie?"

"I- no! I-I don't have a special somepony!" She skidded to a stop, her face as red as a cherry.

"I'm just teasing! Now, about the dresses...?"

"Oh, yes! Well, just give me a moment..." She concentrated for a moment, then pulled them out of her bedroom and brought them down to her. "Well, I must say, I like this one the-"

A loud noise similar to a bone being broken resounded across the room, coming from seemingly nowhere.

Prince Storm looked up at the ceiling, then around the room. "What was that?"

The noise came back, louder and longer this time.

In fact, it didn't stop.

The ceiling caved in, prompting Celestia to panic. She began screaming for everypony to get out of the castle, teleported outside, and began using a very sensitive spell to locate and teleport any ponies inside the castle as it once again broke.


She stared at the crumbled remains. Philomena gently landed on her shoulder and let out a sorrowful "caw". Nopony had been killed, but some guards and a chef got a few bones broken, not to mention dozens of bruises on others.

Guards were working hard to see what they could save from the wreckage.

Celestia suddenly shook her head and waved them away. "Enough. Have everypony search for their own possessions, then abandon it. We needed a new castle, anyways. Send out scouts to potential candidates."

"Where will you sleep?" Bronze Leaf, as bright-eyed as ever, asked.

She paused for a moment. "I know somepony who'd be willing to take me in."


Rosemary's eyes closed. "Absolutely not."

"But, Nana!" Celestia's shock triumphed over her maturity.

"Young lady, I could die tonight, and I most certainly do not need you fretting about whether or not you'll witness it. You've had a rough life, missy. Go stay in a hotel. Or be with your nephew. Or something else. Do something that will make you happy, Celestia."

"Staying here will make me happy!" Tears were steaming down her face, her hooves were planted firmly on the ground, and she was shaking so hard she could barely stand.

"No, it won't! I have nightmares at night now, and I won't have you fretting over it! You will not stay here. You will go have some fun!"

"But where-"

"Crystal Lakes. There's a hotel nearby. You can do some tasting, since I know they also do cheesy-fancies and whatnot. You can visit that ex-servant of yours. Invite your nephew. I'll pay for all of it. I beg of you, Ce-Ce, let an old mare get her rest and leave yourself out of this."

Celestia grudgingly did as she was told.

Author's Note:

This chapter is dedicated to ponies_forever, who gave me the idea for the letter. Thank you so much! :pinkiehappy: