• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 2,402 Views, 138 Comments

Shield and Shadow Part 1: Rise and Fall - LucidReverie



Follow Spring Mist 1000 years ago as he watches Luna's transformation into Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 138
 2,402

Chapter 29: The first

Chill.

Spring Mist stood in a small room in the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. Luna had left him to wait before disappearing into the castle. He had begun to practice his shadow spells on the various objects in the room – chairs, the table, the paintings on the wall. One-by-one, Mist obscured the items in shadow, either creating his own or manipulating the ones in the corners, or fashioning shapes and figures and having them act out scenes on the wall.

Mist was just in the middle of stretching out tendrils of shadow to create new shapes for a new scene when the door behind him opened. He released the spell, the shadows falling to their normal places, and turned to face the doorway. Within stood a large hooded figure, dark and ominous. Mist was unsure of just how to react – fear or humor? But before he could react fearfully, he caught a glimpse of a familiar blue coat.

“A bit melodramatic, don’t you think, Luna?” Mist said with a smirk.

“You should show us more respect, Spring Mist,” said the voice under the hood.

“You know, it’s really difficult to find a balance. Either you are irritated at me for treating you like a Princess, or you are irritated at me for treating you like a friend. So which would you prefer, just so that I don’t get in trouble?”

“So, shall we go?”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

Luna ignored him and walked on, down a dim hallway. Mist shook his head and followed. They wound through the hallways until they reached a room next to the kitchen, one of the store rooms. They snuck inside just before some kitchen ponies walked passed.

Within was a large set of doors. “So this is where food is delivered?” Mist whispered.

“Yes,” Luna said, then added, “Shush.”

They snuck forward and Luna’s blue glow wrapped the door and pulled it open. Cool night air breezed into the room and Mist shivered a bit. They both ran forward and into the night. Once outside, Mist took a breath, then looked at Luna quizzically.

“You can’t just leave the castle of your own accord?” he asked.

“Not without guards.”

“That seems oddly restrictive. I thought you had absolute power.”

“One would think, but power is greatly overshadowed by protocol and decorum. And this is more interesting in any case.”

“Interesting?”

“Indeed. I quite enjoy this sneaking about.”

“Well alright. Shall we continue?”

“Certainly. Do you remember your part?”

“Of course.”

“Good, then we shall proceed.”

Mist and Luna quietly crept along the wall of the castle. In this section of the grounds, the guards were few, so they had no issue with running into them. Yet. Seems a bit weak here. Quite the gap in security. The pair reached a corner of the wall, around which was the front of the castle and the gates to the town. There were far more guards outside, including several on the walls dividing the castle grounds and Everfree.

Luna nodded to Mist. Mist focused, his horn glowing a soft green. The shadows in the darker recesses of the gardens began to warp and take shape. To an outside pony, it seemed like there were individuals running around in the gardens. Mist had the little shadow ponies running along the walls and near the guards, drawing their eyes. The shadows converged in one section of the garden, creating quite a stir. Mist saw Luna’s horn flash, and the soft sounds of chattering issued out into the night. The guards’ ears perked and commands started announcing themselves in the night. Mist could hear a dozen “Halt!”- and “Show yourself”-like commands coming from the guards.

Once they were sufficiently distracted, Luna ran. Mist followed as quickly as he could on his shorter legs. They ducked behind some bushes and crept towards the gate. The spells they had cast were still lingering, giving them just enough time to sneak through the open gate and into the city streets. They rushed down an alleyway and paused to catch their breath.

“That was a tad absurd. Surely there was a better way to do that…” said Mist. Stupid is what it was.

“Perhaps, but I felt a need to have a thinly-imagined plan in order to increase the risk of getting caught. It makes it more exhilarating,” Luna responded bluntly.

“More insane is what it makes it.” And more stupid.

“Be that as it may, it still worked, did it not?”

“True, but-”

“‘But’ nothing. Now where is the market?”

Mist sighed, “This way.”

They walked through the streets of Everfree with little actual sneaking. Mist knew the guard patrols and the habits of the town. Most ponies would be at home by this point, leaving few in streets. Those that were out were likely on the way home from the market area. Mist hoped that there would be few ponies left in The Salted Clove by they arrived.

“Despite the cloak and the sneaking around, I find it refreshing to be able to move around without guards or restrictions. Just move around freely,” Luna said as they walked.

“I’m glad you came do this. You should be able to do this without sneaking around,” replied Mist.

“It would be preferable, but it is not so…”

They entered the familiar large square, the stalls all packed up, most of the little shops dark. There were only two places still lit – The Salted Clove, and The Drunken Mare, the inn that was always open. Mist could only see a few ponies still inside The Salted Clove, and pressed on. They arrived in front of the building and Mist barred Luna from entering.

“Wait here,” he said gently.

“Very well,” Mist could sense her indignation.

He walked forward and opened the door to the eatery. Clove was at the counter, looking out over the few guests in the dining area. He smiled when he saw Mist enter from the street.

“Well, well, well! Spring Mist! I didn’t expect t’ see you so soon,” he said brightly, “And my, don’t you look important?”

Mist blushed and looked down at his nicer scholars’ robes. Perhaps a little overdressed, but that wouldn’t change.

“Thank you. And of course I would come back. Who could resist this place?”

“You flatter us. So what can I do for you?”

Mist walked closer to the counter and spoke in hushed tones, “I have a special guest with me. Waiting outside. But we need to keep it as quiet as possible. Two bowls of your famous soup, please. We’ll find a table, but do you have any ideas?”

“There is a table off in the corner. It’s darker, but a little more isolated. May I ask who your guest is?”

“Thank you. And, uh… that would be up to her, sorry.”

“Of course. I’ll be right on tha’.”

“Thank you again.”

Clove trotted into the back as Mist went back outside. Luna had not moved, still obscured by her cloak. Mist chuckled a bit before speaking. “Okay, we can go in. Just follow me.”

She silently followed Mist into the eatery, ducking her head to avoid the low door frame. She looked around at the small dining area, seeing the few ponies scattered about, taking in the atmosphere. “This is a lovely little shop, Mist.”

“It is nice here. Clove and Celery are some of my closest friends. Have been for years. Come.” He led her to the table that Clove had mentioned and offered her a seat. “Here let me darken it a bit so you can take off your hood.” His horn glowed slightly, and the already abundant shadows darkened, obscuring more of the corner.

“Thank you, Mist,” Luna said, lowering the hood, “I look forward to having some of this ‘famous soup’.”

Mist furrowed his brow, looking at Luna, “Your mane. It’s… different…”

She had revealed her mane, a soft blue color and looking suspiciously normal, rather than the normal starlit sky. She looked up at a little wave that she could see, “Yes, I thought it prudent to use some minor magic to alter my appearance. Less risk of ponies recognizing me.”

“Wait, so you couldn’t have just completely altered your appearance and then simply walked out of the front door to the castle with me?”

“Of course I could have. But that would make it too easy,” Luna said playfully, enjoying Mist’s incredulous expression.

“Do you enjoy being challenging?”

“Quite. But only for you. You get this wonderful shocked expression. I quite enjoy seeing it.”

“But- I- You know what? Never mind,” Mist stammered, “I’m done trying to figure you out. Little over a day in total – casually – and I have never had this much happen to me. It really is frustrating.”

“See? There’s the look!” Luna giggled.

“No. Now where is Clove?” Mist tried to divert the conversation.

Just as he had said it, Clove appeared with a tray and two steaming bowls of soup. Placing them down on the table, he smiled, “So who is your friend, Mist?”

“Well, this is…” Mist was shaky in his response.

“Selene,” Luna finished.

“Selene. Wonderful t’ meet you. Say, you look oddly familiar. ‘Ave we met?”

“No, I don’t believe we have,” Luna said simply.

Mist was becoming worried. He knew he could trust Clove to react appropriately, but he was still uncertain. He just wished that Clove would not see through the disguise.

“Wait. You look an awful lot like…” Clove trailed off, eyes widening. Mist groaned and dropped his head of the table, narrowly missing the bowl of soup. “No, it couldn’t be.”

Luna had a guilty smile, “Thou can tell, canst ye?”

Princess Luna?” Clove bowed, making Mist jump, “Mist, I wish you had told me. I would have prepared something far more grand.”

“No, no,” Luna interjected, “Mist here told us about your famous soup, and we wished to taste it. And it looks quite lovely.”

“Thank you, Majesty. But I still wish I had been warned at least a little,” Clove said, shooting a slight glare at Mist, who just groaned again. “Nonetheless, if you need anything, just call for me. I am at your service.”

“Thank you, kind ser. We are certain all shall be well,” Luna said pleasantly.

Clove nodded, then turned to Mist, speaking quietly, “Mist, you should have said something. Now, are you and she…?”

“No!” Mist said, startled, “Friends. Just showing her around. Friends.”

“I believe you. Fine.” Clove turned to face them both, “I ‘ope you enjoy your meal.”

Luna nodded and turned to look at Mist, who wore an expression of guilt, embarrassment, and frustration. “He seems like a very pleasant stallion” she said happily, “And this soup looks delicious.”

Mist had a half smile, “Try it.”

Luna obliged, taking a small sip of the soup. Her eyes widened at the taste and a bright smile appeared. “This is good. Wonderful. Nothing the castle cook could do, and he is one of the best in Equestria. I would very much like to have his recipe in the royal kitchen.”

“Heh, good luck there. He tells nopony his recipe.”

“Ah, well. I suppose I will respect that.” She took another sip and smiled. “For now.”

Mist took a sip of the soup, enjoying the flavors mixing in his mouth. The soup always made Mist feel good. Just a pleasant dish, nothing but enjoyment.

The two were just enjoying their second meal, sitting in silence, when it was suddenly broken by Luna’s voice, “You asked which I preferred – to be treated like a Princess or like a friend. I have an answer.”

“Well that’s good,” said Mist, “So what is it?”

“Neither.”

“Neither?”

“I would like to be treated like a Princess, but not just any Princess. Your Princess, and yours alone. I wish to be treated like a dear friend, yet… more than just that.”

Mist was squinting, worrying about what was to come.

“Mist,” Luna said, looking Mist right in the eyes, “Will you be mine?”

Yes. Say yes, Mist. You want to. Don’t wait too long… Want to risk a breakdown here? Mist looked at Luna, eyes pleading, hopeful.

“Only if you will be mine, too.”

Luna beamed, leaning forward and planting a kiss right on Mist’s muzzle. “Yes.”

Good boy, Mist. You did it. Now, good luck.