• Published 12th Nov 2014
  • 2,114 Views, 28 Comments

The thing about maturity - Scekkel



Sparity - Spike is very concerned about him and Rarity and after a talk with Twilight decides to go away.

  • ...
10
 28
 2,114

It's good to have friends

The Thing About Maturity
chapter 3 "It's good to have friends"
By: Scekkel
My Little Pony © Hasbro

The book became more valuable by the second. It contained not only things about her and pictures of her and Spike, well mostly her, but also poems, sketches and songs written about her. She felt completely lost in the containment of the book. Before she had even read the first ten pages her eyes where again full of tears, she tried to blink them away but it just poured down her face, she had to stop several times before finishing it. It wasthe most beautiful thing she had ever read. Such an innocent but experienced love.

She suddenly remembered the sealed scrolls, which she also ‘borrowed’ from Spikes drawer. It contained sketches of her in different poses, but it was equal in all that she was laughing and with him. She blushed a little because one contained a sketch of them kissing but her whole head turned red when she found a rather intimate drawing of herself. She sighed and tried to take it easy. It was Spikes private stuff after all and she looked rather ravishing. It was certainly not something she could or would get angry over. Everypony have their secrets and Spike had no reason to hide his artistic talents. She folded it back together still blushing a little.

Then she noticed a last scroll on the bed beside her, she opened it. It was not a sketch but a poem.

She read it with tears in her eyes, this was probably the only thing meant for her to see. It did not rhyme, it sounded more like a letter but it was so beautiful and innocent that she could not get herself to stop reading. It was him, his feelings, his being, that was poured into this one piece of paper written in small verses. It held so much meaning, so much love and only meant to be read by her.

She put the books and scrolls back in her saddlebag and levitated it down on the floor. She reached into her night table with her magic. From the drawer she levitated a big red heart shaped fire ruby. It was protected inside a gold locker. The great gem was given to her by Spike some years ago. She let it dump down in her hooves and hugged it. ‘’What have I done Spike’’ she said and only wished that he would open the door to her bedroom this instant.

Spike finished the letter before climbing down from the Tree house.
He started walking out of Ponyville towards the Everfree Forest. He thought that would be something a man would do, but eventually he found himself lost between close trees, but made himself walk further until reason finally caught up with him. ‘’What am I doing?’’ he mumbled to himself. This was not something Rarity wanted, he had seen the types of ponies she rejected all of them was somepony who was a complete show-off. That’s what she told him. They had all been very self-conscious and wanted her for appearance only. But what were he supposed to do then? How could he show Rarity that he was just as cool as any stallion could be? He sat down on a fallen tree. Tears began to fall down his cheeks and he felt as lonely and sad as ever.

‘’Now what in the world is that I see, I didn’t think I would meet somepony on my spree’’

Spike turned and looked over his left shoulder. ‘’Hey Zecora,’’ he said a little gloomy.

Zecora walked to his side and placed a hoof on his shoulder ‘’You look troubled my friend, anything I can do to make it end?

Spike who had turned around to face Zecora looked up at her ‘’No you can’t, unless you have a potion which will make me more mature’’.

Zecora looked at him a little puzzled at first, but then said, “If it is maturity you seek my friend your journey will never end.”

Spike looked confused. “What do you mean Zecora? Will I never become mature? Will I always be a kid?

Zecora looked knowingly back at him with a surprisingly big amount of sympathy in her eye. “Maturity is not something you suddenly get, it is a hard road of insecurity and debt" "But tell me young dragon, why have you jumped on the maturity wagon”.

Spike looked back at her with confusion painted in his face, but then understood that Zecora was asking about Rarity. “I… I mean… there is this mare that I kind of like, but she is a bit older than me. I love her so much, but she doesn’t seem to view me as a suitable dragonfriend. I mean she is so much more mature, and she seem like she never worries about anything. I love her and yet I don’t even know if she would take me serious".

They stood there for a moment while Zecora suddenly looked surprised. "You know young dragon, I would say it’s time to get your saddle on. Only by asking your beautiful mare you can know if she really is fair."

Spike understood her but he just could not seem to wrap his head around it… “She would laugh… for sure she would.” The beautiful mare of his dreams was laughing at him in his thoughts, it was just unbearable to him. But that wasn’t right, Rarity wasn’t that kind of pony. She was in fact a very generous and loyal friend, even to him, who was only Twilights servant, but sometimes it felt far better to just let her laugh than for her to reject him. He did not understand why, although maybe it had something to do with the fact that he would rather want to lose his feelings towards her if she laughed than being rejected and still love her. It seemed twisted to him, because he knew of Raritys kindness and deep down he knew that he could never hate her.

Zecora slowly walked to him and bowed her head to the mumbling and concentrated dragon. “You know what you must do, to get your mare true".

He looked up at her with tears in his eyes, something he had never really been able to control. He smiled. Yes he knew what he had to, it was fairly obvious in fact, he would just have to ask, did he not do it he would certainly never get Rarity. Hearing the name whispered in his brain suddenly made him yearn for his home and the beautiful mare. He looked at the sky and saw that is was already dark, and he did not really want to go through the forest tonight. “Zecora?” “Can I sleep in you cottage tonight?”

Zecora smiled and said “Of course”.


Rarity awoke the next morning, her hair in great disorder and felt the dried out tears on her face. She looked down on the gem in her hooves, she had been warming it up with her body heat the whole night and now it just laid there in her hooves. Rarity quietly cuddled the stone. She did not want to get up and just when the tears started coming out again, she heard a knock on the door.

Rarity sat up and kept looking at the door not believing her own ears. It knocked again. “It’s Spike” she thought “It must be!!”. She ran as fast as she could, though she had time enough to put the stone back in the drawer with a red face, before she reached the door. She practically ripped off the door with her magic as she opened it. “Spike!!!” She yelled “I’m so sorry”.

On the other side of the door she met an extremely surprised Twilight, who reached by jumping a few steps back.

Rarity looked at Twilight, and started crying again “I am so sorry Twilight, but in my dream Spike came to my room and and… I thought that it had suddenly come true.”

Twilight looked at her crying friend and offered a helping hoof. She looked at the usually beautiful mare, who had sleepy eyes, messed up hair and fur. She looked nothing like her usual self.

“Have you heard anything from him, Twilight?”

Twilight shook her head. “No I haven’t and I am actually getting pretty worried.

Rarity began to whimper, she looked so sad and Twilight began to stroke her friend’s mane. There was something Twilight wanted to ask her but that could wait till she had calmed down.

Slowly Rarity pulled herself together and thanked twilight for being there for her. “It’s okay, what are friends for anyway. They smiled at one another.

Rarity went down into the kitchen while Twilight sat down in raritys very comfy sofa. A few moments later Rarity came back with a teapot and two cups. As she levitated the pot and cups to the table a few tear escaped her eyes and Twilight grabbed her hoof. “We’ll find him Rarity” “Don’t worry.”

Rarity smiled at the sudden kind act. She knew that Spike would return, but she was very scared that something might happen to her.

“But there is something I don’t understand Rarity” Twilight said.

“And what might that be?” Rarity said, with a questioned look.

“ Why are you suddenly so interested in Spike?” “I mean, it has always been obvious that he liked you. So why is it that you are so sad?”

Rarity sighed and closed her eyes before she poured some of the tea for her and Twilight. “I thought that you might bring it up.” “You see, I always thought good about the little dragon, but the thing is that it never was more than that. I have always thought about him as a very good friend, no more than that. He is such a sweet gentledragon and I really enjoy his company.”

Twilight looked a little irritated at her and Rarity sensed that she wasn’t to be dragged around and Rarity knew that the battle was lost even before it had begun.

Rarity sighed again. "He is just so young Twilight, I mean he is almost 6 years younger than me but..” Tears appeared in her eyes but she forced them to stop as best she could. “…But I just love him so much. I love being around him and as long as possible I wanted to just let it be as it was. I often wanted to kiss him and I knew that he would like that as well, but I thought that maybe I could let our relation move on and tried not to think about him to much. I was and I still am afraid what people would say if I were to be with him. It’s not that he is too young to be with someone, but on top of the age he is a dragon. How could a pony ever be with a dragon.” Rarity could no longer control her tears and they had full run as she collapsed on the sofa, crying.

Twilight rose from the sofa and walked around the table. She reached out to the crying white unicorn, and reached her hoof, which the unicorn used to cover her eyes.

Rarity uncovered her eyes and stopped crying, she looked at the smiling purple mare in front of her, and couldn’t help but smile back. “Thanks for being here Twilight” she said.

“What are friends for?” The mare answered.

The two Unicorns continued to speak for some hours until Twilight had to go and tend the library.

“Don’t worry Rarity, I am sure we will find him back in Ponyville soon.”

“I hope you are right” Rarity answered. She waved her off and went back in.

Twilight walked towards the library until she knew Rarity could no longer see her. She then changed direction and walked towards the Everfree Forest.

As she passed the first line of trees a dread feeling washed over her. She was of course used to this, having been to the Everfree so often, but she automatically switched to a more “Aware of her surroundings mode” so that she could be on guard if any of the great dangers of the forest decided to come lurking against her.

After some time she reached a little cottage, in the middle of the forest. She walked to the door and knocked. A second later Zecora popped out. “Hello Zecora” she said. “How is he?”

“He will be counting a lot of sheep as I have given him a draught of sleep.” Zecaora answered.

Twilight made her way in to Zecoras cottage and found Spike the Dragon sleeping peacefully on the couch. “How long has he been sleeping?” Twilight asked

“Since I got your note he has been on the sleeping boat.” Zecora answered. She produced the note from her counter where half a bottle of sleep potion also rested.

Twilight smiled “Thank you Zecora, it was imperative that he did not come home before I had a chance to talk with Rarity, I’m glad Owlowiscious found you before it was too late, I had him show the note to everypony we knew who lived on the borders of Ponyville. I had not instructed him to come here, but I am glad he did.

Zecora smiled “Glad to help I am, wherever and whenever I can.”

Twilight smiled, she had never really understood why the odd Zebra had to rhyme. She had always done so, and they had never been in a position where it had been “the right time to ask”. Every time the Zebra had shown there had been some sort of crisis and she never got around to it. But as they sat there Twilight suddenly got curious.

Zecora offered her some tea and Twilight accepted and Zecora turned around to boil the water, Twilight suddenly recognized the smell of her favourite tea-blend. Zecora always made sure Twilight was fully stocked, as she was quite proud that someone else was so fond of her tea.

As Zecora sat the cup in front of Twilight, she thanked her and waited for her to take the place opposite her.

Zecora sat down and drank a little tea.

Twilight sat indifferently and waited a little, trying to think of something to begin a conversation about Zecora and her oddities, but her thought process was soon cut of and her brain decided to wait and ask the question some other time, because now Zecora had a question to ask.

“How long has the dragon had the feeling of love, to the pony white as a dove?” Zecora suddenly said.

Twilight thought a bit and then replied: “Well, he has been in love with her ever since he saw her the first time. I believe it was when I originally came to Ponyville for the first time. She was picking out some decorations for the Summer Sun Celebration and ever since then he has been head over heels for her.”

Zecora nodded in understanding. She seemed to think a lot over what to say next, but then drank some tea and Twilight continued.

“It has not always been easy for him” she said with a sigh. “In the start it was okay because it was only a light crush and he could not see the problems of them getting together, but as time went on and Rarity showed absolutely no romantic feelings for him he got really sad. It was then he started to write” She said the latter with a smile. “Spike is actually a very good writer when it comes to romance. He became a little happier when he could experience him and Rarity on paper and would write a ton when he came home from having helped her in the boutique. It was such a charm to read and he actually made a few songs too.”

Zecora looked amazed over the little guys determination about his love. “Love is a strong inspiration, it will always be a powerful relation.

Twilight nodded, but saw that she had finished her tea and even though Zecora offered more Twilight really had to get home to oversee that everything went okay the day after, so she called it a night and went home.

Zecora went to Spikes bed and stood there looking at him: “You are so lucky that you had such good friends and that your lover is still here waiting for you” “You don’t know how lucky you are” she said with a smile and went to bed with a little tear in her eye.

Author's Note:

And chapter 3 is here. It has become quite the whiny chapter. I actually wanted to change it, but decided to keep it is it was with a few adjustments. But it's here now and next time it will be something completely new. I started this story a very long time ago but never finished it, and now I've come to a point where I have to write more so I hope you will enjoy :)