• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 740 Views, 5 Comments

Tales From The West: Grit & Lead - Docks



Ponies in the Wild West. Doing Wild West things.

  • ...
 5
 740

Chapter Eight: Tartarus Hath No Fury

Chapter Eight

"Hey Grandpa I've got a question for you." Ballad's grandson asked. The old stallion motioned for Dusty to go on as he began to clean up the table. "If you're gonna be doin' nothing but telling us this story, whos gonna be watching the town?"

Sugar Sap rolled her eyes and let out an annoyed sigh in response to her cousin's question. The young earth pony ignored his cousin's whining and kept his attention upon the wrinkled sheriff. Ballad let out a hearty laugh as he grabbed his grandfilly's plate. "No need to worry your little head off. Bein' sheriff has its perks, like havin' deputies watch over the town when you wanna catch some shuteye or in my case fulfill a promise to yer grandfoals!"

"Now that's cleared up can you start up again?" Sugar Sap stated in a pressuring manner. Ballad let out a cough and stared straight at the impatient filly. "Please Grandpa?" The sheriff let out a small chuckle and placed the plates into his small sink. "Since you asked so nicely..."

-------------------

The sun began to set as the gunslinger finished retracing his steps back to Highcrown's estate. Thistle let out a sigh as he made his way down the single dirt path to the tree covered grove below. The stallion let out a soft whistle as he admired the countryside that was covered in a lurid shade of red by the retreating sun.

Thistle arrived at the massive estate and banged on the building's large wooden doors with a forceful buck. I really shouldn't have done that... The stallion mulled over as he rubbed his bandaged neck. Several minutes passed by as Thistle awaited a response from the manor’s occupants.

"Oh for Celestia's sake!" The impatient stallion quickly drew his black coated revolver. Thistle casually aimed his gun into the air and sent a single crack of gunfire echoing throughout the small grove. That oughta get that bastard's attention. The earth pony's gesture was greeted by the muted sounds of frantic voices and hurried steps reverberating from behind the wooden doors.

The estate's doors began to audibly creak as they slowly began to open for the annoyed pony. Thistle calmly trotted through the doors and was met by the timid figure of Highcrown's pegasus butler backed by the same pair of griffons. "About damn time, is Highcrown in?" The stallion growled.

The gryphon pair exchanged glances and whispered words before returning their attention to the earth pony in front of them. "Yes he is." The gryphon to Thistle's left stuttered. "But before we let you see him, we need to see proof that you've fulfilled his task." The other gryphon stated in a leveled tone.

Thistle let out an annoyed grunt as he brought Highcrown's silver chained locket out for the questioning gryphon. "Now you'd best show me to that lard assed sonuvabitch, before I rip through here like a twister lookin' for him." The gunslinger snarled before motioning to the firearm at his side. Not wanting to test the riled stallion any longer, the griffons pushed the cowering butler forward and retreated several paces from Thistle. "As you wish s-sir." The nervous butler motioned with a shaking hoof for the earth pony to follow him.

The pegasus led the earth pony through the estate's winding ivory hallways and the pair eventually arrived in front of a single wooden door. "Here we are...The master should be in there right now, will you be needing anything else sir?" Thistle shook his head and waived the butler off with a hoof. Alright time to get some answers from this bastard.

Thistle burst through the solid oak door with a massive buck from his hind legs, sending a resounding crash echoing throughout the room. "You in here Highcrown!?" The stallion yelled as he moved through the dark room.

"Now this is a surprise!" Thistle swiftly pinpointed the owner's voice and turned upon the shadowed figure of his employer seated at the desk across from him. "And I do say this surprise is a pleasant one. Yes indeed, I was losing hope of pulling off what I had in mind but with your return Mister Thistle, everything will go according to plan!"

"Mind turnin' on a light so I can damn well see you Highcrown." The gunslinger commanded. "Oh of course." The large figure rummaged through his desk before lighting a single match. "Very rude of me, I apologize." The dark teal headed gryphon stated as he lit a candlestick positioned on his desk.

Highcrown returned to his seat and pointed with a talon for Thistle to do the same. The stallion ignored Highcrown's gesture and kept his gaze fixated upon the seated gryphon. "Never the less, I am glad that the report of you dying was incorrect Mister Thistle and I see that you've even managed to retrieve my stolen item in one piece!" Highcrown joyful exclaimed. "Now if you would be as kind to hoof it over, I will see to it that you are promptly rewarded."

The stallion let out a biting laugh before shaking his head. "Not so fast Highcrown, me 'n you need to have a little talk before I even consider giving you this damned thing back." Highcrown was taken aback by the pony's gesture, but quickly assumed his calm composure once more. "I won't object to your request Mister Thistle considerin' you're armed and possess a very strong bargaining chip. Besides, I think you deserve it after what you've gone through." Highcrown coolly replied as he pointed a talon at the earth pony's bandages.

"First off I want to know who the buck you exactly are!" The earth pony demanded. Highcrown brought his talons together underneath his beak as he contemplated Thistle's question. "Not big on who the major players are around these parts huh? I guess you wouldn't considerin' my sources coming up blank with any sort of information about you."

Thistle's annoyed face twisted into one of pure anger. "What in Tartarus are you goin' on about? Are you tellin' me you've been tryin' to spy on me?!"

"Feathers forbid, I would never do anything like that to you Mister Thistle. I just simply asked around to get a better look at your history and background is all." Highcrown soothed once he saw the stallion's reaction. "I apologize and it seems my answer has gone off track. I'll make this blunt, you are talking to the leader of the largest criminal syndicate within the whole entire New Burros territory."

The gunslinger's mind began to quickly process Highcrown's newly revealed status. "I figured as much. Your estate isn't all that modest to make one think you earned yer living through good honest work." Thistle nonchalantly stated. Highcrown let out a gruff laugh causing his overweight physique to ever so slightly jiggle with each burst of laughter. "I wasn't quite expecting that reaction. Most folks would be a lot more surprised to hear something like this."

Thistle let out an annoyed snort. "This is nothing new to me, I've had some dealings with the cartels to the south." Highcrown's head feathers slightly fanned out and the gryphon had a small smirk on his face. "You are quite the mysterious fellow Mister Thistle and the fact you've just presented me raises even more questions along that missing mark of yours. I do hope you will share some of your stories with me once we get know each other."

"Don't count on gettin' nice 'n close with me gryphon." The gunslinger retorted. "Now for my final request before I hoof this thing over to you. I want to see if those papers you showed me a couple days back are honest to Celestia and not some dirty forgery." Highcrown nodded his head and flashed a beaked grin at the earth pony. "Glad to see that injury hasn't dulled your mind Mister Thistle. I'll give you five minutes with those papers to ease your worries."

The snide gryphon unlocked his cabinet's desk and promptly laid a small stack of papers on his desk. "I'll just be outside the room if you need anything Mister Thistle." The stallion locked his gaze upon the exiting gryphon and waited for the door to completely shut before digging into the neat stack of papers.

Thistle brought out his faded picture and placed it next to the photograph attached to Highcrown's papers. How the hay did Highcrown get this picture... The stallion questioned as he switched between the two identical pictures. Thistle pushed his confused worries away and began to briskly skim through the pages.

That’s useless...I already know that...Now what in Celestia's name. The earth pony singled out a paper from the stack and began to thoroughly examine its contents.

-------------------

Date: 07/xx71 File #662: The Ivory Spurs & Snakeweed

Name: "Snakeweed" *07/xx71 Note: Possibly an alias. Various sources tell me this is not the pony's true name.*

Physical Attributes: Earth Pony, Standard pony height, Slightly leaner than the typical earth pony but exhibits typical earth pony traits.

Gender: Male

Mane color: Dark blonde.

Coat color: Solid gray.

Eye color: Blue

"Ass" Mark: Two twisters interlocked together. *07/xx71 Personal: I don't even know why ponies call them cutie marks.

Role & Organization: Leader of the Ivory Spurs. Band made up of a mix of ponies, donkeys, diamond dogs, and griffons. Size of the organization is rumored to be relatively small, but sources tell me they are growing in number with each new holding added to their territory.

*07/xx71 Personal: Relatively unknown (at least within New Burros) criminal organization based down south at the Burros-Mareizona border lines. Possible threat.*

*10/xx71 Note: Sources have told me Snakeweed's organization structure is reliant upon his trusted confidants & lieutenants. Attempts at bribery of those in his inner circle have failed.

*11/xx71 Addendum: Snakeweed has on call several highly skilled members dedicated to exterminating threats deemed troublesome. Adjust accordingly.

Background: *11/xx73 Note: Sources tell me this pony's history, like his true name are either simple rumors or falsified information. Halt pursuit of Snakeweed's personal history. Track current Ivory Spurs progress.*

This gray coated earth pony has been making a mark on the Frontier and especially in the south-west. Caravans and travelers from Burros and Mareizona tell of the Ivory Spurs members' cruel nature and have even managed to overwhelm the Mareizona buffalo bands. His so called “Ivory Spurs” have managed to muscle out the Roving Revolvers of Big House and have taken over Two-Suns and the rest of The Los Salvajes' southern Mareizona assets. Snakeweed has accomplished this impossible feat through brute strength and deception. From the stories and rumors I have managed to acquire so far, all point to the Ivory Spurs becoming one of the biggest threats to my enterprise.

* 12/xx72 Note: Accounts also reveal Snakeweed to be a capable fighter and one gifted with a silver tongue.*

*02/xx73 Addendum: Send more enforcers down south to reinforce holdings in Rodeo.*

*10/xx73 Addendum #2: Place a bounty on all members of the Ivory Spurs*

*03/xx75 Addendum #3: Sources tell me the politicians in Canterlot are noticing Snakeweed's efforts. Adjust accordingly."

-------------------

You've done your research Highcrown, I'll give ya that. Now tell me where the buck this bastard is hiding at! Thistle threw the paper back onto the stack and let out a livid groan. The study's door began to creak as Highcrown made his way back into the dimly lit room. "Times up Mister Thistle. I hope you've managed to ease your worries about my papers’ authenticity." Highcrown coolly stated as he resumed his seat behind the desk once again.

Thistle fixated his amber eyes upon Highcrown before slamming a hoof onto the gryphon's desk. "I've gone through those damned papers of yours and I want to know where in Tartarus he's hiding at!" The gunslinger yelled, whilst ignoring the biting pain his outburst caused. "Easy there Mister Thistle. Do you not remember what my proposition entailed?" Highcrown calmly replied all the while sporting a disarming grin upon his feathered face.

The stallion's nostrils began to flare as kept his eyes upon the smug gryphon. "Now let me refresh your memory. I stated that I would give what information I have in return for you completing the jobs I have for you. Seeing as you've only completed one you'll receive what you seek upon the completion of my final task.”

"Then quit stringing me along and tell me what the buck needs to be done!" The stallion shouted.

"My last job for you is quite complicated and I think you should get some food and rest before I burden you with what I have in store." Thistle's irate demeanor began to ease as the thought of rest entered his mind. "Now before I send you off to your room, I am quite curious to what Snakeweed has done to cause such an outburst from you. Care to indulge me Mister Thistle?" Highcrown cordial inquired.

The gunslinger had a frown begin to form across his face for a split-second before immediately adopting a more neutral expression. "Me n' him, have a score to settle. That's all you need to know." Thistle stated in uneasy tone as he tossed the locket back to its owner.

Highcrown deftly caught it with a keen talon before slowly rising from his seat. "A quest for revenge? How intriguing! Never the less, let me show you to your accommodations.” The husky gryphon led Thistle out of his study and down more stark white hallways before ending up in front of another door that was an exact copy of Highcrown's study door.

Highcrown opened the door for his guest and the earth pony was greeted to an elegant room that matched the estate's gaudy nature with pieces of art adorning the room's walls and outfitted with crimson baroque furniture that completed the room's overbearing presence. "My butler will tend to your every need Mister Thistle and I do hope you get a good night's rest, you'll need it." The stallion begrudgingly thanked his host before shutting the wooden door. Thistle began to fumble through the moonlit room before being able to light a nearby candle. Now where the hay is that prissy butler at.

-------------------

Best night's sleep I've had in a damn long time. Thistle let out a drawn out yawn as he got out of bed. The stallion slowly made his way to a nearby mirror to inspect himself. "Celestia almighty..." Thistle grunted out as he saw his own battered and dirty reflection in the mirror. Best use what I've been given 'n wash up. The stallion lazily made his way to the guest room's bathroom.

Thistle let out a sigh once he entered the equally extravagant washroom. Buckin' hay. Even the damn bathroom is just as fancy. The stallion's hooves squeaked with every single step he took upon the room's marbled flooring. After running himself a warm shower; he returned to the sound of knocking upon the guestroom door.

"Can I help you with somethin'?" Thistle asked as found himself faced with Highcrown's pegasus butler. "I hope I didn't disturb you sir, but the master is requesting that you come join him for breakfast in his personal dining room. Now, if you will please follow me." Thistle turned his head back into the room and looked at the wooden chest with his gear stored within, ignoring his gut feeling to outfit himself with his gear, instead he nodded his head and followed behind the servant.

The pair passed through the estate's main lobby and Thistle entered into a small and modest room that lacked the rest of the estate's pretentious nature. "Please take a seat anywhere you wish sir." The butler stated as he herded his charge towards the room’s small dining table. Thistle nodded his head and made his way to one of table's ends. "The master will be with joining you shortly." The butler bowed his head before leaving the earth pony to himself.

"I hope you've had a wonderful night's rest Mister Thistle and I do hope that injury of yours is not causing you any problems." Thistle turned his head around to see his host dressed in a tight blue dress shirt. "No need to concern yourself 'bout mah neck. I can still hold my own in a fight." Thistle curtly replied.

Highcrown let out a deep chortle as he sat himself at the table's other end. "Can't a gryphon show genuine concern for his partner?" Thistle let out a defiant snort in response. "We'll seeing as you've came to breakfast unarmed that means I've at least gained some of your trust."

"Don't take a mistake of mine as a sign of trust. I'm still pretty damned wary 'bout you." The gunslinger countered.

"Forgive me for my erroneous assumption then. Now I have taken the liberty of having my chef prepare our meals already. I hope that won't be any concern to you?" The gunslinger shook his head. "Good whilst we wait I think it high time we talk about this job of mine."

"About buckin' time!" Thistle exclaimed with an obvious tone of annoyance.

"How familiar are you with the growing disputes to the north?"

Thistle gave the gryphon a confused look before answering. "Not much. All I know is the Griffon Aeries and Equestrian politicians are bumping heads over territory and that the Royal Guard have been movin' outta the Frontier and into the freezin' north." Thistle answered. "Now what does this have to do with this job of yers."

"A simple and precise summary I assure you." The gryphon replied. "Now for what it has to do with my job, I think this letter I received will do you much in answering that question." Highcrown searched through his shirt's breast pocket before promptly sliding a white envelope across to Thistle. The gunslinger immediately unfolded the letter and began to read the paper out loud.

Dear Regard Highcrown,

The Equestrian Parliament has been watching you for quite some time and we are aware of your unscrupulous business practices and other projects that are frowned upon in any Equestrian courtroom, but this letter is not about condemning your actions, but about offering you the chance of being exonerated for your crimes and as well as earning a substantial monetary reward.

I hope you are aware of the growing conflicts brewing in the north with the Griffon clans, surrounding the issue of Equestrian settlers encroaching upon "their" land. The prospect of an all out war between Equestria and the Griffon Aeries is becoming more and more inevitable and that this conflict will cost both sides gravely. The Equestrian Parliament deeply care about those that serve our nation and would like you to assist us in our effort to help ease the steep burden they will be facing.

A visiting zebra diplomat of Saddle Arabia will be passing through your territorial holdings on a fact finding mission about our beautiful country and The Griffon Aeries. We need you to do everything in your power to convince this diplomat that the griffons are not to be trusted. Even though you are a gryphon Mister Highcrown, we consider you a proper Equestrian and we implore you to please accept this offer and know that along with the rewards aforementioned above, you will also have the appreciation and admiration of an entire nation.

Celestia Bless,

Glowing Gavel; Member of the Equestria Parliament.

The stallion slowly put the letter down and stared straight at the gryphon seated across from him. "Stars above...What in the sun did I just read." A large smile began to creep across Highcrown's beak as he clapped his talons together. "Why this is my ticket to becoming a true Equestrian patriot Mister Thistle, and an extremely wealthy one at that."

"A patriot? But you do know yer a gryphon right. Don't you have any links to yer kin?" The gunslinger admonished.

Highcrown let out a dreary sigh. "Very narrow minded of you Mister Thistle. I may be a gryphon but I was born and raised in Equestria. I owe nothing to the Griffon Aeries, they shun and vilify every gryphon that they deemed tainted stock, all because we weren't born into their precious society."

Thistle began to smirk once he noticed the gryphon's jovial tone drop into one of sharp discontent. "You seem bitter 'bout this Highcrown." The gryphon slowly shook his head and assumed his easygoing facade once more. "Feelings can be such a fickle thing."

"So now I know what your job is all 'bout, what do you want me to do? Go and gun down this zebra dressed up in gryphon feathers, whilst I yell gryphon propaganda?" Thistle sarcastically declared.

"If it was only that easy Mister Thistle." The gryphon responded. "Your job is quite the opposite in fact, you see the zebra is being escorted by a contingent of Royal Guards. You will be joining the them in protecting this diplomat from what I have planned..." Highcrown stated before dedicating his mind and words to instructing Thistle about his grandiose scheme.

"Let me get this straight, you're telling me that I will be joinin' this group of Royal Guards and my job is to protect this diplomat from a buncha griffons working for you all dressed up in proper Aerie military attire?" The gryphon nodded his head in response. "And this will somehow convince this diplomat that the Aeries are buckin' nuts? ‘N to top it all off this thing is supposed to go down tomorrow afternoon?"

"Precisely. Now that you know what this job entitles are you still wanting to go through with this?" Highcrown stated in a casual tone.

Thistle let out a ragged sigh. "I need that information you've got locked away...I'll do this crazy ass job of yers." The stallion reluctantly answered. "Fantastic! Now that you're on board with my plan, do you have any questions?" His employer blissfully asked.

"I've got a buck ton, believe me. But how the hay am I gonna be joining a group of Royal Guards without a hiccup. I don't exactly fit the part of a white coated pony wearing a blue and gold uniform."

Highcrown let loose a burst of laughter before wiping a single tear from his eye. "Don't worry partner, I've got everything perfectly planned." The gryphon broke his attention from the questioning stallion and onto the arriving platters of food being brought before the pair. "But for now let us enjoy this amazing breakfast..."

-------------------

Following Highcrown's orders, Thistle spent the rest of his yesterday trudging through the barren desert landscape in search of a backwater hamlet in the middle of nowhere. The afternoon of a new day had just begun when he finally arrived in front of a small collection of wooden shacks and buildings. The gunslinger slowly trotted by a small sign with the word: Hornbuck messily etched into the wooden panels. The earth pony began to replay the last words he had with Highcrown as he moved through the humble settlement.

"The diplomat's caravan will be making its way to some place called Hornbuck, south east of here. This is where you'll be joining up with them."

"Okay once I get there how the hay am I gonna join them? Ask buckin' nicely?"

"Jokes aside. You'll be meeting member of the diplomat's escort and my only contact within the group. He'll use some of his magic to make you match the standard Royal Guard look and provide you the necessities to blend in. This also means you'll have to leave your gear behind."

"Fair enough, what's this unicorn's name?"

"Look for a "Private Stone Tail."

"Anything else I'm supposed to be lookin' out for when I'm playin' guard?

"You'll be traveling near the territory of the Ivory Spurs and there might be a chance you'll run into some trouble. You can see why I've had you run the gauntlet in Blanco Roca."

"No need to remind me...Now how can I know these griffons of yers are loyal?"

"I singled each of them out for their loyalty to me. The one you'll need to be worry about is my contact, he's the only one privy to our little scheme."

"I’ll keep an eye on him then. Now if that's all, I'll be on my way."

"There is one more thing Mister Thistle, this diplomat is traveling with two chests full of unknown cargo. When my boys begin their ambush I want you to bring back that zebra alive and those chests as well."

"Yer askin' a lot from me gryphon, you better be ready to pay when I get back."

"Of course Mister Thistle, now good luck..."

The stallion entered outpost's only two story building and was immediately greeted by the smell of alcohol and smoke pouring into his nostrils. Thistle made his way past the unconscious form of the bar's only other patron and sat himself at the unoccupied bar counter. The gunslinger's hopes of getting a drink were dashed when the stallion found a sign hung above the bar's cabinets.

Siesta-Be Back Whenever...

Thistle ran a hoof through his mane and swore to himself. The stallion searched the mostly empty bar and was about to get up and leave, but the arrival of a white maned unicorn garbed in a blue uniform with two pale gold patches stitched onto his sleeves made him stay put.

The unicorn sat himself next to Thistle at the bar counter and offered a gray coated hoof. "I was told to be expecting you." Thistle slowly looked over the uniformed pony and returned the unicorn's gesture. "Stone Tail? I was expecting a pony a lot more older." Stone Tail let out a soft sigh. "I guess some news is slower than others, didn't hear about the draft ratified by Parliament?"

The earth pony looked the young soldier over once more and shook his head. "Kid, you're only a couple years outta colthood, how the hay do they expect ya to fight griffons?" Stone Tail let out a small chuckle. "I don't know either, but I consider myself lucky to be on this assignment. Now let's get you in front of a mirror Corporal Writ Quill.

"What the hay kinda name is that?" Thistle griped as he followed the young unicorn up the bar's nearby stairs. "Sorry, it was the best I could come up with on such a short notice." The unicorn replied as he led the earth pony into a simple room. "Now if you'll stand in front of that mirror, I can work my magic."

Thistle followed the soldier's orders and stood in front of a large oval mirror and awaited the unicorn's next move. Stone Tail's face began to contort itself as he focused his strength and concentration onto his horn. "Now...just stand like that 'n don't move an inch..." An aura of pale gray began to surround the stationary earth pony and soon wrapped itself around Thistle, binding the earth pony within a cocoon of magic.

Stone Tail let out a ragged breath as he slowly began to ease the pressure he was exerting upon himself. The unicorn got behind Thistle to inspect the after effects of his spell. "Everything looks like it worked, what do you think Corporal?" Thistle opened his eyes to inspect the stark white coat and newly cropped golden mane that replaced his true form.

"Mighty impressive kid." Thistle commended as he turned to face the young unicorn. Stone Tail took a curt bow and grinned at the stallion's compliment. "Now let's get you suited up 'n actin' like a proper Soldier of Equestria..."

-------------------

Thistle's entire body was covered in sweat as he fidgeted with the blue woolen uniform that suffocated him, whilst the boiling afternoon sun burned overhead. "How the buck do you soldiers even wear this without droppin’ dead from the heat?! Let alone having this barding strapped to yer hide!" Stone Tail was faring slightly better than the disguised gunslinger, but was equally drenched in sweat. "You'll get use to the uniform but I can't say much for that barding. Good thing I've got this horn to help me aim. Now let's go over proper Royal Guard mannerisms one last time." The private promptly ordered.

"Yes Sir! No Sir!" The earth pony sarcastically answered as he marched in place. "That was great!" His unicorn companion answered oblivious to his companion’s tone. "The caravan should be arriving any minute now and I should mention that the illusion spell I cast upon you is reliant upon me being close by, so do your best to stick by me."

Thistle’s face twisted in subdued rage before letting out a frustrated groan. "That shoulda been the first thing outta yer mouth after castin' your damned spell!"

"I'm sorry! I-Its just this whole thing has me so agitated. How do we know if your boss's men won’t double cross us?!" The unicorn frantically stated. Thistle slowly looked over his young companion; his employer’s warning beginning to echo throughout his head as he watched the young stallion pace around. Celestia please don't make that damned gryphon right...

Thistle forced his thoughts to the back of his and shifted his attention upon the dust cloud being kicked up to the pair's east. "Look alive kid, I think that's them." The stallion declared. Stone Tail ceased his pacing and quickly stepped into position. The incoming cloud of dirt soon gave way to a mass of uniformed ponies escorting a single carriage. The caravan shortly arrived at the hamlet’s center, and a burly gray coated unicorn with gold pauldrons sewed onto his uniform broke formation to greet the pair.

"Ah it’s good to finally meet you Corporal Writ Quill!" The unicorn exclaimed as he offered a hoof to the disguised stallion. Thistle saluted with a hoof before returning the finely dressed stallion’s gesture. "Likewise Captain Standing Bulwark!" The gunslinger quickly recited.

"No need for such formalities just simply call me Captain Bull! Now I'd like to thank ya for being able to join our little convoy, your nephew here told me you were part of the 27th Fillydelphia Brigade. Thistle simply nodded his head, whilst he filled his own head with vulgarities. Nephew? Buckin’ hay...It’d be nice if I was told ‘bout my damn cover story!

"I heard those boys were to be headin' up north a month from now. Damn shame you'll be missing out on the fun, but I guess the privates in my company can use another senior fellow to look up to!" Alright just play along Thistle..."Of course sir! I'll keep these youngins in check, and just 'cause Stone Tail is my nephew don't think I'll go easy on him!" Thistle enthusiastically answered as he saluted once more.

"Wonderful! Now I want you two to fall in behind Privates Sailing Breeze and Green Vale." Two ponies at the convoy’s end promptly shot their hooves up at the mention of their names. Stone Tail and Thistle saluted their superior before trotting into formation. The caravan slowly moved out of the outpost and headed westward into the barren desert.

The afternoon sun's intensity continued to scorch the earth underneath and the convoy of soldiers began to gossip amongst themselves in an attempt to ignore the burning heat. "Hey kid." Thistle whispered to the unicorn adjacent to him, Stone Tail turned his head towards the stallion. "Why didn't you tell me I was supposed to be your uncle!" The stallion hissed.

"Sorry! Like I said this whole thing has me on edge!" Stone Tail quickly answered.

"Alright lads time to cut the chatter and review our mission!" Captain Bulwark shouted. The two ponies shifted their attention to the backward trotting unicorn leading the convoy. "We are escorting one Prince Ibn-Sadd, Crown Prince to the kingdom of Saddle Arabia and it is our duty to see this stallion reach the city of Cross Roads safely! We will begin to move northward once we stop at the town of Tall Pines, thirty miles from now! Any questions?"

The gruff unicorn took a pause as he awaited any sort of response from his subordinates. "Good! Now let's keep those hooves moving!" The group of soldiers resumed their gossip and Thistle prodded the young unicorn next trotting next to him with a hoof. "Tall Pines, is that the spot?" Stone Tail slowly nodded his head. "Three more hours till we get there sir." The young stallion curtly answered. Thistle kept his eye upon the sun overhead as he mulled over his employer’s task. The synchronized hoof steps of the marching convoy continued to echo across the arid landscape as they pressed onward.

"Private Sailing Breeze, right?" The stallion asked to the pony in front of him. "Yes sir?" The uniformed pony answered as he continued to march in step. "Know anything 'bout this zebra character we're guardin?"

"I only got a glimpse of him when we picked him up in Buckfield. But the zebra was wrapped up in some sorta extra large poncho." The stallion’s voice began to grow fainter. "The strangest thing is that the zebra doesn't fiddle with his words like the zebras I heard 'bout in stories, he talks proper 'n what not." The private answered.

"Hmmm...That'll do private." Thistle slowly replied. Hours passed and the convoy eventually arrived at their destination. The ponies pulling the diplomat's carriage slowly brought it to a rest at the center of Tall Pine’s single road. "Alright folks catch a breather or a drink of water. We'll be restin' here for an hour and then its back to work!" The unicorn captain shouted. "One more thing If I see any of you boys drinking, I will personally tan yer hides! Dismissed!"

The group of Royal Guards broke from their formation and rushed for the nearest shaded shelter they could find. Stone Tail quickly led his uncle to an unoccupied storefront. "You alright their kid?" Thistle interjected as he watched Stone Tail frantically searching the town, and flinching whenever one of the town’s residents passed by. "Easy there soldier, remember that the ambush is going to be by griffons, so just try 'n relax." Thistle soothed as he offered his canteen to the worried youngster.

"N-No thanks...Oh! Th-the ambush is s-supposed to happen soon sir! Oh C-Celestia!" Thistle shook his head and ignored his ward's paranoia, and instead began to observe his surroundings. The undercover stallion watched as most of the town’s citizens slowly trot along the collection of wooden buildings, and groups of soldiers covertly passing a silver flask between themselves.

"Wait a tick...Hey kid." Thistle chimed as he jabbed a hoof into the young unicorn's side. "Is that the captain over there by the carriage?" Stone Tail covered his eyes with a hoof to get a better look at the figure the earth pony pointed out. "Y-yeah, he must be, he's very a-adamant about his duties." Thistle took a seat next to his companion and was about to shut his eyes, before Stone Tail interrupted him with a jab of his hoof.

"Look, I know yer worried 'bout this 'n all...So, just stick by me when Highcrown's boys show themselves 'n you'll be fine." Thistle casually replied as he shut his eyes. "Now wake me up when it starts." Minutes passed as the unicorn's worries were unwarranted and soon the barking orders of Captain Bulwark rang throughout Thistle's ears.

Stone Tail let out a sigh of relief and assisted the disguised pony up. "Don't tell me Highcrown's boy are runnin' late..." Thistle grumbled as he and Stone Tail quickly rejoined their convoy's ranks. Bulwark assumed his lead at the head of the formation before belting out to his command. "Sound Off!"

"Private Hayfield?"

"Here!"

"Private Stream Breeze?"

"Here!" The captain continued to call out names before finally ending upon Thistle's name. "Now that everyone has been accounted for lets-" The unicorn's voice was immediately drowned out by a single crack of gunfire. Everyone in the convoy instinctively got down onto their bellies and began to frantically search for the discharge’s source.

Seconds passed before more gunfire began to echo around the prone figures. Spurts of dust began to fill the air as bullets began sailing overhead, digging themselves into the ground and any pony short on luck. "Ambush! Everypony get to cover! I'll get the diplomat to safety...Now move!" Captain Bulwark hectically shouted as he tried to get his orders across the mixed roar of the Royal Guard’s return fire and their unknown assailants’ response.

Thistle's body strained itself as he weaved his way past uniformed ponies loading and firing their weapons. Need to get to a building... The gunslinger briefly paused as he promptly remembered Stone Tail's warning. "Oh buck me!" Thistle immediately galloped back into the chaos that was playing out at the town’s center.

"Who the hay is buckin' shooting at us?"

"I don't know! Just keep those bastards pinned down, whilst I try 'n get Hayfield to safety damnit!”

Thistle ignored the plight of the beleaguered Royal Guards and continued to push forward as he kept low to the ground, avoiding the bullets whizzing all around him. The stallion found the quivering form of Stone Tail cowering behind the convoy's carriage; bullets hitting the wooden shelter with muted pings.

"On your hooves kid!" Thistle shouted as he rushed towards the carriage’s wooden body. The poor unicorn was ignorant to Thistle's presence and was quietly stuttering pleas for the ensuing madness to stop. "Celestia damnit!" Thistle clamored as he brought his head under the young pony's frame. With a mighty bellow, the earth pony was able to precariously balance Stone Tail's body on his back and immediately galloped himself and his cargo to the relative safety of a nearby building.

Thistle hastily relieved himself of his burden with a buck that sent the private crashing onto the wooden flooring underneath. The shock to Stone Tail's body swiftly brought him back to reality. "I'm alive? I'm alive! Oh Celestia bless!"

Thistle neglected his companion's giddy outbursts and immediately trotted towards a nearby window. The stallion’s eyes raced all over as he tried to process the bedlam taking place outside. "Now wait a Celestia damned minute!" The stallion cried before pressing his face to the window, and fixing his eyes upon the figures attacking the convoy's remnants. White bandanas...I don't see a single gryphon amongst this group! The cogs in the gunslinger's mind began to shift as he swiftly drew a conclusion. "Sonuvabitch!'

"You set us up didn't you!" Thistle roared as he turned upon the figure still laying upon the ground. Stone Tail's frightened nature quickly returned as the enraged earth pony began to inch his way towards him. "What? No!" I don't know who those folks that's attacking us I swear!" The young stallion hastily professed.

The stallion crashed his hoof down centimeters away from the unicorn's face before drawing the wooden carbine on his back and leveling it at the cowering youngster's head. "You're the only one that knew 'bout this arrangement!" The enraged earth pony shouted back.

Thistle's gritted his teeth as he stared straight into the stallion's quaking features. "I swear on my father's grave I didn't play you! I swear! Oh Celestia help me!" Stone Tail screamed as an expression of pure terror consumed his face. Thistle’s teeth were tensely clenched around the carbine's mouth trigger; his teeth beginning to rattle as he struggled with himself.

He's just a frightened kid...

He's lying...

Look at his eyes...

Remember what he did to you...

Thistle's mouth began to tighten its hold as his manic amber eyes locked upon the frightened unicorn's own purple set. "Please...P-Please...Pleas-s-s-e..."

You've changed...

The stallion spat the wooden trigger from his mouth and swiftly backed away from the whimpering unicorn. Stone Tail hesitantly brought himself up and kept his eyes upon the somber figure in front of him. The room’s atmosphere remained tense and the only audible sounds were of the muted chaos continuing to unfold outside.

"Sorry...I'm so sorry....You're just a kid for Celestia's sake...." Thistle quietly hushed. "Celestia forgive me..." The unicorn stared at the melancholy looking stallion and slowly trotted towards his side. "I don't know what came over me...I j-just..." Stone Tail simply laid a hoof on Thistle's back and guided him through the building.

The young unicorn located the building's kitchen and eased the earth pony onto a simple chair. The earth pony kept his head down and avoided the pair of eyes staring at him. "I promise you sir that I had nothing to do with this." The unicorn anxiously stated.

"I-I know that now..." The earth pony quietly replied. "I don't expect you to forgive me for my actions..."

"I do, you did kinda save my life after all...I'm just a colt that is way over his head. I didn't expect this, I just needed some more bits to send back to my family!" The unicorn exclaimed. "Carin' for your family this young? Yer a good kid..." Thistle slowly stated as brought his head back up. "I owe you for my outburst...I’ll see to it you get outta this alive. I promise that much..." The earth pony adamantly swore.

Stone Tail's uneasy expression lightened up as he saw the determined look upon the earth pony's face. "Come on sir we need to find Captain Bulwark." The clamor of fighting continued to rage on as the pair kept themselves hidden, by exiting through the kitchen's rear door.

"Did you catch a glimpse of where the captain was headin'?" Thistle quietly asked. Stone Tail nodded his head as he guided them through the town's backside. "When I was h-hiding behind the carriage I saw Captain Bulwark leading the zebra out of town. They were heading northward. Like I said before, the captain is one determined stallion."

Stone Tail and Thistle reached Tall Pine's outskirts without being noticed by their aggressors, the two turned to face the fading pandemonium and observed the last remains of the convoy's escorts were eventually overwhelmed by the figures clad in white.

"Any idea who those bastards were?"

"Maybe, but we ain't got the time. We need to get moving and find the captain and our zebra." The two put their hooves to the orange dirt underneath and left behind the now quiet town of Tall Pines.

-------------------

An hour passed since the pair began their hurried gallop across the lonesome desert in search of their missing quarry. "You think someone really did set us up sir?"

"Either that or this is just one massive stroke of bad luck."Thistle replied before turning his towards the young unicorn. And why do you keep callin' me sir, no need for the formalities anymore."

"Sorry, It's just that... I don't know your name sir, your proper name that is. All that Highcrown's men told me was to look out for an earth pony that fitted your description." The stallion let out a sigh and hastily remedied Stone Tail's problem. "Thistle, huh? The name suits you sir and I mean no disrespect when I say that."

The gunslinger let out a soft chuckle. "Considerin' what I put you through you can disrespect me all you want...Wait." Thistle signaled with a hoof for the two to halt, before shielding his eyes from the sun to get a glimpse of two shimmering silhouettes slowly cantering several miles ahead.

"Is that them?"

"I don't see any folks 'round, so it must be. Come on we need to catch up to them." The two pressed forward at a hard gallop in hopes of catching up with the retreating pair. The uniformed pair’s efforts were rewarded by a bewildered look upon Bulwark's grizzled face and a joyful expression plastered across his charge's striped features.

"What in Tartarus? Corporal Writ and Private Stone Tail? Celestia bless you managed to get outta that ambush alive!" The trio exchanged hoof shakes and an occasional salute as Stone Tail recounted Thistle's heroism, whilst keeping the stallion's violent outburst to himself.

"Well hot damn, son! You should be awarded the Golden Di-" A light cough from the striped equine at Bulwark’s side caused him to retract his words. "Oh! Where are my manners! This here is our esteemed diplomat, Prince Ibn-Sadd!" Stone Tail and Thistle promptly saluted the white robed prince.

"First of all, I would like to express my deepest condolences for the lost of your comrades." The prince somberly stated. "When I return to my homeland I will do everything in my power to repay your friends' families and as well as you three.”

"Aye, no time to mourn though sir. We still need to get you to safety." The captain declared as he pointed a hoof at Stone Tail. "If you'll take the lead Private." Bulwark ordered. Stone Tail grunted in acknowledgement and trotted ahead. Thistle watched the young unicorn trot away and turned his head to see Bulwark's horn begin to shimmer. Time began to slow down for the earth pony as he watched the officer draw the revolver at his side, before he slowly leveled it upon the oblivious unicorn.

Thistle let out a piercing cry as he attempted to rush down the gray coated stallion. The gunslinger halted once he heard a single thunderous crack emanate from the nickel-coated barrel. "What's goin-" Stone Tail paused in mid-sentence as he felt the bullet's impact rip through his chest. The young pony’s eyes began to rapidly blink as he instinctively placed a hoof onto his wound. Stone Tail’s face was void of any expression before crumpling onto his side.

Thistle let out a pained shout as he watched the limp figure crash onto the desert ground. The stallion was at a loss for words as he turned his attention upon the smoking gun's owner. "Now what do we have here!" Bulwark exclaimed as he watched gouts of magic discharge off of Thistle, revealing the stallion's true form.

"What in the Celestia damned?! You're not a Royal Guardspony?” Thistle ignored the unicorn's question and was about to charge Bulwark before a bullet ricocheted inches from his hooves. "One move and you'll be joinin' the private! Now keep yourself facing me and march away!" The earth pony bared his teeth as he did the unicorn's bidding.

"That's good." Thistle halted next to the still form of Stone Tail, the gunslinger's entire body seething as his eyes darted between Standing Bulwark and his fallen companion. "You bastard! He was just a kid damn it!"

"So what? More like him are dyin’ each day up north." Bulwark calmly replied. "Why would you betray the ponies that trusted you with their lives?!" Thistle bellowed.

"Do I really have to explain?” The officer mocked. “The Ivory Spurs offered a hefty amount of bits for this striped bastard!" Bulwark crowed as he wrapped a hoof across the bewildered zebra. "This job is a thankless one and I'll be damned if I keep gambling my life just for a bunch of pompous politicians and the ignorant foals they dress up to play soldier!"

"I’ve heard enough..." Thistle quietly snarled before instinctively unfolding the carbine at his side and leveling its sights upon the gray unicorn.

Bulwark noticed the stallion's actions and let out a piercing laugh. "You really think you can hit me from that distance? Son, I didn't get to this rank without knowing how our tools work! You'll most likely hit the poor prince instead of landing a shot on me!" The gunslinger ignored the unicorn's taunting and shut his right eye as he began to focus upon the unicorn's glowing horn.

"Go on! I'm wait--Aughhhhh!" A single crack from Thistle's firearm sent a bullet crashing into the officer's horn, severing the tip from its base. Bulwark watched his magic aura instantly fade from his revolver and let out a gasp as he watched it lamely land at his hooves. "You son of a bitch!" Bulwark shouted as he pushed the zebra in front of the now advancing stallion.

Thistle nudged the confused zebra aside and rushed towards the gray unicorn. Bulwark let out muted cry as he began to swiftly backpedal away from earth pony. Thistle sighted the retreating figure and squeezed off a deafening salvo of lead straight at his fleeing quarry.

Bulwark let loose an agonizing cry, as he felt stacks of wracking pain surge through his hind limbs. The four bullets fired by Thistle easily ripped apart the unicorn’s muscles and tendons. "Celestia damn it! Y-You got my legs..." The unicorn cried as his footing gave way, sending the hapless officer crashing into the unforgiving ground. Thistle immediately closed the gap between him and his hapless prey.

The traitor looked up to see the cold and emotionless face of Thistle staring back at him as the earth pony pressed his gun's barrel onto Bulwark’s forehead. The unicorn barely flinched as the gray barrel began to exert pressure onto his skull. Bulwark kept his eyes upon Thistle before flashing a smug grin. "Shoot me 'n you'll be inviting trouble to yourself stranger! The Ivory Spurs won't take this slight, lying dow--" Bulwark’s words were drowned out by a single crack of gunfire that echoed across the barren desert.

The vengeful stallion spat upon the lifeless corpse of Bulwark, before dashing towards the body of Stone Tail. Thistle quickly slumped down next to the fallen soldier and began to gently pump his hooves upon the inanimate unicorn's neck. "Come on! Come On! C-come on.." Thistle bitterly cried until his emotions began to boil over. "Damn It! DAMN IT!" The stallion cried out before finally closing the pony's blank eyes shut. With his bare hooves, the mourning gunslinger began to shovel dirt upon the young pony's body. A single tear fell upon Stone Tail's face, before being covered up by a gentle deposit of cold earth.

“I-I'm sorry kid..."