• Published 21st Nov 2014
  • 1,658 Views, 23 Comments

Apple Bloom - Noratcat



Feeling unappreciated at home, Apple Bloom finds a new world where her dreams come true.But soon finds it isn't what it appears to be.

  • ...
1
 23
 1,658

Chapter 6

Zecora's words had rung true. What she had seen wasn't what she expected. The pretty picture that this place had painted now peeled away into an ugly underside. The moment she realized she wasn't back in her real room, the young filly stormed out of her other bedroom. Down the stairs and to the kitchen she went. She found nopony was there, that left two other places. First was the living room. The door out of this place was behind there. Apple Bloom reached for the door but her hopes were quickly dashed as she the living room door would not budge. The kitchen was a no go so that left one other place.

Her little hooves stormed against the wooden floor. "Where is she!?" Apple Bloom demanded the moment she stepped into the art studio. The Other Granny Smith was nowhere to be found. Only the Other Big Macintosh lay within.

"Where's the other sister!?" Apple Bloom demanded hotly again. "Ah wanna go home!"

The stallion's body language was far different from earlier. When Apple Bloom first met him, the Other Big Macintosh was excitable, fun loving, and generally a joy to be around. Now she could sense a strange sense of sadness. Not just from the stallion but the entire room as well. The paintings that hung on the way drooped, almost as if they were about to fall off.

"Mustn't talk, mustn't speak when sis isn't around." The Other Big Macintosh spoke in a blank tone. He sat at a picture painting nothing really. He only smeared colored lines upon the easel. The joy that went with him was dead.

Apple Bloom didn't have time for this. "Fine! If you won't help me, I'll find the Other Spike." the filly was certain the dragon would be of more use. "He'll help me."

"Won't do any good." suddenly the other Big Macintosh swirled around. His button eyes dead locked on Apple Bloom. "He puuullllled a saaaaaaaaad face!" the stallion's mouth sunk low as he spoke. The tone of his voice darkened into a hiss. Apple Bloom backed away in fear. "Sister didn't like that." The Other Big Macintosh stamped his hooves forward but quickly stepped backwards as if he realized what he was doing. "Mustn't talk, sister mother not here." He droned continuously and went back to his painting.

Apple Bloom's mind didn't know what else to do. So her instincts told her. She ran, and she ran fast. The front door slammed open as she bolted out. She didn't know where she was going. All she knew was that she wanted to escape this world. Her little legs carried her wherever her instincts commanded her. No, it was her fear that commanded her. Past trees and orchards she ran. Everything still held that brightness to it. The moon shone down on her casting shadows that danced about. Her eyes looked to and fro as the shapes and figures. She wanted to go home. She wanted her grandmother who constantly slept, she wanted her brother who seldom spoke, she wanted her sister who treated her like a baby. She just wanted everything back!

Just then her surroundings changed. But it wasn't a way out. It was nothing.

"Huh?" she muttered. The tree's had disappeared. Now all that could be seen was a white nothing. Apple Bloom trotted a few steps forward. Her wide eyes danced about in confusion. This didn't make sense. What was this place? It was as if this world had only what she wanted to see. There was a little hope that perhaps this world had an Other Ponyville. But that would mean other versions of its denizens. Apple Bloom's walk soon ended as she felt land against her hooves. The Other Sweet Apple Acres loomed above. Her face fell. They wouldn't let her go. She wouldn't let her go. Apple Bloom had no other alternative. She had to reach that door. The only problem was the way leading to it was locked. Apple Bloom didn't really have a lot of options. She would have to try something, anything at this point. Tugging at the door knob wouldn't help. She would have to apply force. Charging at full speed, she rammed her hooves into the door. Not a budge, it only knocked her down with an "oof". She tried again, this time nothing.

"Come on Apple Bloom!" She told herself. "You're an apple!" that was true, and members of the Apple Clan didn't give up. Preparing herself, she looked just like a bull waiting to charge complete with a snort. The moment Apple Bloom collided with the doorway, it burst open. A flash of pride welled up inside her. But it was competing with the pain that coursed through her little body as she hit the floor.

"Ow." she muttered. Then again maybe the pride wasn't deserved. That door felt as if it opened intentionally. Whatever the case, Apple bloom could see the door before her. All she had to do was reach it and she would be home free.

Unfortunately for her, luck wasn't on her side. She hadn't noticed it at first, but next to the doorway was a dresser of sorts, a rather large bulky dresser which suddenly began to move. With each movement it took, Apple Bloom noticed certain 'qualities', insect qualities. The dresser had antenna along with a pair of orb like eyes attached to its head. The bug dresser seated itself right in front of the door. Clearly there would be no escape.

"You're being awfully difficult my little sugar cube." Apple Bloom knew that voice. Turning around she could see her. Sitting delicately upon a revolving couch was the Other Sister. The mare put one leg over the other as she lounged. "Why would you want to leave? You have everything you could ever want here?" she asked.

Apple Bloom certainly wasn't in the mood. This creature wouldn't let her leave and she wouldn't let this slide. With a determined expression she stormed over towards the Other Sister. "Ah wanna go home to my real family! I want my real brother! My real granny! And my real sister!" Her real sister. She wanted Applejack more than ever. Every time the Other Sister called her "sugar cube", the more she realized she hated it coming from her mouth.

"Is that any way to speak to your big sister?" The Other Sister asked. Her voice striking an indignant tone.

Apple Bloom's face became dead serious. "You....aint....my....sister." she stated that with the utmost seriousness.

The Other Sister likewise became serious. "Apologize this instant young filly." her voice dropped low.

The only response Apple Bloom gave was "No!" Her body motioned in a sulk. After all, she was a child.

"I'm going to give you till the count of three. And when I'm done I expect an apology." The Other Sister warned. Apple Bloom didn't budge nor alter her disposition. The Other Sister's expression darkened upon her warning.

"One." The mare rose from her seat but oddly she stood upon her back leg. Apple Bloom heard a sound just then. It was like something was stretching itself with a sickening squelch. It was coming from the Other Sister.

"Two." Apple Bloom watched the Other Sister closely. Her eyes transfixed upon her altering form. The mare's body began to grow. The pony shape became elongated and lanky. Something began to form along the body. The coat was changing color at least in some parts. Before Apple Bloom's eyes, a spotted black dress formed along the Other Sister's new body. The front legs were no longer legs but rather arms now. The hooves split apart into long, spiny black fingers. The lower legs remained as they were hooves and all. Yet she looked as if she were a walking devil. Lastly the muzzle shrank back as her hair became long and matted.

Apple Bloom's eyes trailed the falling hat as it hit the ground.

"THREEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Her eyes snapped back to the Other Sister only to see her approaching hand. A sharp pain coursed through Apple Bloom's head as the Other Sister grabbed her by the mane.

"Ow!" Apple Bloom cried. "Let go!"

The Other Sister dragged the young filly down the hall with a scowl upon her face. All the while, Apple Bloom kicked up a storm as she tried to escape the creatures grasp.

"You're hurting me!" Apple Bloom screamed.

Her protests and pleads went unheard. Before the Other Sister stood a mirror located at the end of the hall. The next thing Apple Bloom knew, she was being thrown right at the mirror. Apple Bloom shut her eyes but there was no collision though, for she fell right into it. Apple Bloom felt the cold hardness of stone underneath her. Opening her eyes, she could see the stern look of the Other Sister.

"You may come out, when you've learned to be a good little foal." The Other Sister's body vanished into the wall leaving Apple Bloom alone.

The young filly felt cold as a damp air surrounded her. This place, it felt sad. Apple Bloom pounded her hooves against the stone wall. Her desperation to leave drove her, but it would be of to no use. Whatever magic the Other Sister possessed, Apple Bloom didn't have.

Just as her fear began to sink in, a sound reached her ears. It was a faint whisper of a wail. For Apple Bloom it was just as if a storm made the branches rustle against her window.

"W-who's there?" Apple Bloom whimpered. Whirling around, she took in her surroundings.

They perfectly comprised her feelings: Dark, gloomy, foreboding, and cold. There were nothing but stone walls and floors. Puddles of water were scattered about. This place looked more like a prison than anything. At the very end Apple Bloom noticed something. It was a blanket. But that wasn't the odd part. Underneath it was a faint glow. Curiously, Apple Bloom trotted over. Her eyes were drawn to the strange light. Part of her wanted to leave it as it was, while another half told her this was a way out.

"Mustn't talk, mustn't speak, lest the Beldam will hear us." a voice came from underneath. The voice was that of a young filly's.

"The Beldam?" Apple Bloom repeated the word. "Ya mean the Other Sister?" there could be no other reference.

Stripping the blanket away, Apple Bloom gasped. Underneath were three little ponies. Apple Bloom noticed from their appearance, they were about the same age as her. Yet these ponies were not normal ponies. Normal ponies didn't have translucent blue flanks. The three were each a different pony race, an earth pony, a pegasus, and a unicorn. The youngsters briefly glanced up at Apple Bloom before hiding their heads once more. She caught something before they did. They all had button's sewn in their eyes.

"Who are y'all?" Apple Bloom asked. Her question turned into a gasp as the ponies did something she didn't expect, float. Now it dawned upon her, they were ghosts.

"I don't remember my name." The pegasus pony spoke. He was a young colt, his wings were tattered and his mouth carved into a whimper. "But in my head, I can still see my true mama." The pegasus ghost floated about almost in a strange dance of loss.

"Why are ya here?" Apple Bloom's next question came with a faint whisper.

The three ghost ponies all said one word in unison. "The Beldam."

Apple Bloom took a look at the remaining two ghost ponies. Both were fillies. One was a unicorn lass, her face contorted in a scream. Perhaps the last thing she saw frightened her so much? The last child was an earth pony. Apple Bloom's face locked upon the ghost filly. Something about her mane, her face, her.....bow......it all looked so familiar.

"She spied on us through the doll's eyes." The earth pony recited. Immediately Apple Bloom caught the trace of an accent. An all too familiar accent. It was almost like.....

"And saw that were weren't happy." The voice of the pegasus lad interrupted her thoughts

The unicorn lass floated beside Apple Bloom. "So with treats, toys and games, she lured us away."

"But w'all wanted more." The accent came again.

"So we let her sew the buttons."

Apple Bloom's eyes widened in shock as the children began to circle her.

"She gave us all we wanted."

"She said she loved us."

"But she locked us here in the dark."

"And she ate our lives."

The ponies finished their tale. Apple Bloom had remained silent throughout it all. The only thing that changed were her expressions. She wasn't the first. There were others and she was staring right at them. This fate......it could have happened to her. Or rather it will happen if she didn't do something. Inside, Apple Bloom felt something stir within. Frightened as she was, she came to a conclusion.

"She aint doing this to me." The filly spoke softly to herself.

Easier said than done, Apple Bloom knew her words were held no strength. She still was trapped here. She had to escape.......somehow.

"Maybe you can help us miss?" The ghost ponies emerged again. The unicorn pony was the first to speak.

Apple Bloom had walked back to the wall in all of this. "But how can Ah help? W-what could Ah possibly do?"

"If you find our eyes maybe y'all can set us free." The earth pony answered with her accented voice.

"Find our eyes miss! Please!" The pegasus pony pleaded.

Apple Bloom stepped back even farther as the children gave their pleads. Sympathy was what she felt. So much she felt she didn't know what else to say besides "Ah....ah'll." but before she could finish, something reached out from behind the wall and dragged her in. The moment she saw the light of the hallway, Apple Bloom gave a mighty buck for one her size. She bucked whatever had grabbed her. A picture frame fell to the ground as something collided with the wall. Apple Bloom held a look of pure fury upon her brow, but it fell when she saw who had grabbed her.

"Spike!" or rather the Other Spike.

The button eyed dragon looked up at the filly, one of his claws against his chest from where Apple Bloom had bucked him.

"Oh Spike Ah'm so sorry! Ah didn't-"

"SHHHHH!" the Other Spike silenced her.

Apple Bloom kept quiet.

"We have to get you out of here! She'll be back any minute." The dragon motioned for Apple Bloom to follow him. Apple Bloom followed the young dragon through the hallway and into the living room. Luckily, they found the room completely empty. There was no trace of the Other Sister. The Other Spike and Apple Bloom hurried to the insect dresser pushing it on its side.

"Apple Bloom is that you?" from some part of the house the Other Sister called.

Quickly the pair opened the door. Gazing inside, Apple Bloom could see no glow. The tunnel was nothing but a brown cob web filled corridor.

"Apple Bloom! How dare you disobey me!" the Other Sister bellowed.

The Other Spike urgently pushed the young pony towards the door. "Hurry or she'll find you!"

"What about you!?" Apple Bloom asked with concern. "Can't you come with me?" the dragon was risking a lot by helping her. She didn't know exactly how, but she somehow knew that.

The Other Spike looked at the young pony seeing the pleading and concern in her eyes. His button eyes darted away with uncertainty. Above them came a creak. The Other Sister was getting closer. Before she could protest, the Other Spike pushed her inside and closed the door. Stunned by the action Apple Bloom almost turned back.

"APPLE BLOOM!"

That voice quickly got her running. Her little hooves scurried along the path. All of a sudden, it began to shake and shift. Apple Bloom hurried along all the while trying to make it to the door above her.

"YOU CANNOT!"

The path continued to shake. For a brief moment Apple Bloom lost her grip.

"GET AWAY! FROM ME!"

That was the last thing Apple Bloom heard as she bolted to the outside. Her eyes looked around until it caught sight of a familiar looking key. Taking it in her mouth, Apple Bloom locked the door behind her. The filly fell upon her back breathing heavily. This place. The musky smell that hung in the air. She knew where it was.....The old house! She had made it!

Apple Bloom's legs moved as fast as they could carry her. She scurried down the hallway towards the door and escaped into the outside. The fresh air was like a godsend against her flank. Her mane swung in the breeze as she tasted the air. She only thought of one place.

"Applejack! Big Macintosh! Granny Smith!" she called as she bolted inside the door of the real Sweet Apple Acres. Her true home. Apple Bloom excitedly looked through the rooms expecting to be greeted by her family.

"I'm home!" she called again. Up the stairs she went to the bedrooms. But when she went up there, she found nothing. Going back down she gave a second sweep. Several sweeps to be precise. However, there was no trace of anyone. Confused, she went outside. Perhaps she had missed them on her way in? But outside she could find nothing at all. The apple baskets were left unattended. Even Big Macintosh's plow was just left there.

Apple Bloom felt fear well up in her tiny chest. "Where is everypony?" she asked.