• Published 2nd Nov 2014
  • 2,613 Views, 133 Comments

The Brony and the Baddy? - Blazidude30



Sonata Dusk just wanted to escape her so-called friends, only to end up in another world inhabited by these crazy humans.

  • ...
14
 133
 2,613

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Brad and Sonata made their way upstairs after disposing the plates they used into the sink. While the two made for Brads' room, he saw Robbie as he passed by his room; getting ready to play of the Xbox of his.

"You alright, Brad?" Robbie asked.

"Yeah, but my show starts in less than half an hour," Brad replied, "When I'm on, could you and Josh try to keep it down a bit? Don't want to look a fool on my first day."

"Yeah, yeah, no problem," Robbie agreed.

"Thanks," Brad said.

He and Sonata made their way into Brads' room once again, and the laptop was booted up. Brad sat on the bed with the laptop on his legs. He plugged in his microphone.

"Alright, time to load up Skype," Brad declared.

"Skype?" Sonata asked, sitting next to Brad on the bed.

"Yeah," Brad began, "It's the program I use to talk with people over the internet. I think there's gonna be a pre-podcast talk; especially because I have no idea what I'm gonna be doing on it."

"Oh, really?" Sonata asked with a hint of worry in her voice, "So you don't know what you're doing on the show?"

"Nope," Brad answered, "I got told I was talking with a group of people on Skype about ponies, and that's as much as I got really."

"How come?" Sonata asked.

"Well, they're pretty minor right now," Brad explained, "And were struggling to get someone in. When they heard I was from the UK, the guy just took me straight up. I guess it does have 'International' in the company's' name, so I guess they were after people not from America."

"That makes sense, I guess," Sonata responded.

A dinging noise began emitting from the laptop, and the picture of an insectoid-like creature appeared on the screen.

"That'll be my new boss, I suppose," Brad presumed, "Can you try to be quiet?"

"Sure," Sonata answered, pretending to zip her lips. She moved away from Brad, and leaned against the wall the bed was pressed against. Brad passed her a pillow to lean on.

"Sorry to be rude like this," Brad apologized.

"It's no problem," Sonata quietly replied.

He answered the call.

"Hello?" Brad asked into the laptop.

"Ah, Brad," the voice answered. The voice sounded crisp and clear, strong but kind at the same time. The accent rung through Brad; recognizing it's origin of America. "Good to see you nice and early. The rest of us will be on shortly. I'm Steven, but on the show; call me Malachite."

"Right, will do," Brad answered strongly.

"How are you feeling?" Steven asked with sincerity in his voice, "Nervous at all?"

"A little, I guess," Brad admitted, "It's the first time I've been on air at all, so I'm not sure what's going to happen."

"No need to worry," Steven reassured, "You'll be fine, I promise."

"Thanks," Brad replied.

"Now, when we get on the show," Steven began, "Me and the others will introduce the show and ourselves. Then we'll announce 'we have a new presenter' and ask you to introduce yourself. Just say your name, and your 'D.J.' name to start with. We'll ask you a few questions on air about yourself, just so the audience can get a feel for you before we begin. You good so far?"

"No problem," Brad answered, "What do we do after that?"

"From there, we have a nice, chilled conversation about all things pony," Steven answered, "We'll probably need some UK pony info if you've got any recent news from there."

"I've got a fair bit," Brad said proudly, smiling though Steven couldn't see it.

"Great, sounds like you're more prepared than the rest of usually are," Steven laughed, "Don't worry about a thing. These shows are for entertainment, and you get some pay out of it. As I said to you on the e-mail, as long as you've got a sense of humor and have the confidence to talk, you'll be fine."

"Thanks for the reassurance," Brad said, smiling and beginning to relax. He looked at Sonata, who simply smiled back.

"No problem, sounded like you needed it," Steven responded, "You sounded stiffer than a horseshoe."

"Really?" Brad asked. 'I must be nervous, then; if someone from the other side of the world can sense my anxiety.'

"Honestly," Steven answered, "Oh, hang on. I'll add one of the other pod-casters into the call now. They've just come online."

A third picture popped up onto the screen; a pegasus with a purple body and a short black, frizzy mane.

"Hello?" the new asked. It was fairly deep, and also held an American accent to it.

"Michael?" Steven asked, "You up an' runnin'?"

"Yeah," Michael answered back, "Oh hey, the new guy's here?"

"Michael, say hello to Brad," Steven introduced, "Brad, this is Michael. He's another pod-caster as well."

"Hi," Brad said quietly.

"Is your mic turned down?" Michael asked, "You sound a bit quiet."

"Sorry," Brad apologized, "Nervous."

"Eh, no problem," Michael assured, "You'll be fine. As Steve said, I'm Michael, but call me 'Swift' on air. It's my OC's name, too."

"Is that your OC in the Skype picture?" Brad asked.

"Sure is," Michael answered proudly.

"Looks cool," Brad complemented.

"Thanks, bud," Michael responded, "So, what am I gonna call you on air then?"

"Well..." Brad began.

"It's a surprise," Steven interjected.

"Huh?" both Brad and Michael asked in sync.

"Might as well make it a surprise for all of us," Steven explained, "So keep your name a secret for now."

"OK, then," Brad said.

"You're real crafty sometimes, Steve, you know that?" Michael groaned, "I mean, really?"

"Stop complainin'," Steven answered, "You do it enough as it is. It's what you're known for on the damn show, for Pete's sake. Oh, hey. Phil's on."

"Nice, we're almost ready to roll, then," Michael cheered slightly.

Brad just looked up at Sonata to make sure she was alright. She looked back at Brad just smiling.

'Glad she's not bored,' Brad thought, 'I hate to neglect her like this, but someone has to pay the bills around here.'

A fourth picture appeared on the screen. This one appeared to be a picture of a moon against the sky. Brad muted his mic for a moment. Sonata quietly moved over to see the laptop screen.

"That picture there," Brad pointed at the one of the moon, "Is a scene from My Little Pony."

"Really?" Sonata asked.

"Yeah, that's the Mare in the Moon," Brad explained, "What Princess Luna used to be when she turned evil. I'll explain later."

"OK," Sonata said as she moved back into her position.

Brad un-muted his mic to re-enter the conversation.

"You still there, Brad?" Steven asked.

"Yeah, sorry," Brad answered, "Zoned out for a moment."

"Let's just hope ya don't do that on air now, eh?" a new voice said with a hint of sarcasm. The voice seemed to have a new origin; one that Brad had trouble placing.

'What is that accent?' Brad thought, 'And that voice seems way too high pitch to be male.'

"He'll be fine, Phil," Steven groaned, "You won't need to worry."

"I sure hope not, hehe," Phil chuckled, "I'm just messin' with ya. I'm Phil, but I'm 'Lightray' on air. What about you?"

"This here's Brad," Steven introduced, "And his 'D.J.' name is a secret until we're all on air."

"Uh huh," Phil accepted, "So ,Brad, you ready for your first show?"

"Yep," Brad answered confidently, "All ready to go."

"Say," Phil realized, "Weren't you supposed to be the British one that Steven told us about?"

"That's me," Brad admitted, "I know I don't sound as British as people think."

"What are you apologizin' for?" Phil questioned, "Nothin' wrong with it. It's like sayin' I need to sound more Australian."

'I knew I reconized that accent from somewhere,' Brad thought.

"2 minutes 'til air time, boys," Steven announced, "You guys gonna be good?"

"I'm ready, Steve," Micheal proclaimed, "Let's get 'er up an goin'."

"I'm good here," Phil answered, "You good, Brad?"

"Yeah, all good," Brad said confidently.

"All right then," Steve announced, "3, 2, 1, go!"

Silence ensured, then a quiet jingle that Brad recognized began to play, and a voice that he knew all to well began to speak.

"B to the R to the O, N, I! We'll keep on playing radio until the day we die, we're Bronilicious!" said the voice.

'That is a brilliant voice actress for Applebloom,' Brad thought, 'It's so wrong, but so catchy.'

"Welcome to Broni!" Steven announced, "Or Brony Radio Online Network International! I'll be one of your gracious hosts this afternoon, morning or evening wherever you may happen to be; Malachite. With me are..."

"Swift, as you know me," Michael continued, "and..."

"Lightray!" Phil finished, "Hope everyone's havin' a great day; wherever they are."

"Thanks, Lightray," Malachite began, "Now, we've got a little surprise for you all. As some of you may or may not know, we've been tryin' to get a new host to join us on the show. And wouldn't you know it; we got plenty of applicants. However, we could only pick one."

Brad began to feel nervous. 'This is it.'

"I would like for you all to be introduced to our newest host!" Malachite announced.

Brad began to feel nervous; sweat beginning to form. A lump formed in his throat, preventing him from speaking. He looked up at Sonata, who simply mouthed, 'Go for it.'

'I can't let my fears get the best of me no more,' Brad thought. He leaned closer to the mic.

"Um, m-my name's Brad," he began, "But I'll be known." He paused. "As D.J. Nightshine."

"Haha, welcome Nightshine," Malachite laughed with a happy tone, "And how are this evening for where you are?"

'Right,' Brad thought, 'He wants me to talk about my origins'. "Good, thanks. A little nervous, I must admit, but I'll do my best as the British presenter of the show!"

"Now, we've gotta ask you a few questions as part o' our 'ritual' to enter you into the brony tribe," Malachite said with a joke to his tone.

"No problem, I'm ready for you," Nightshine responded.

"All right, first one," Malachite began, "What is your favorite episode to date?"

"Oooh, tough one to start, I see," Nightshine responded, "But if I had to pick, probably Sonic Rainboom. I'll admit, while Rainbow Dash isn't my favorite anymore, I still get some kind of shiver every time I watch it. Probably what truly sold me onto the show."

"Interesting choice," Malachite commented, "Alright, next question. How much pony stuff do you, in fact, own?"

"A fair amount, good sir," Nightshine answered with confidence, "9 posters, 16 figures, 2 CD's, and a box set of the first season."

"Not bad," Malachite commented, "And lastly, and clearly most importantly, who, I repeat, who is best pony?"

"Tough," Nightshine contemplated for a moment, "Pony or character?"

"You can give both, if you so wish," Malachite answered.

"OK, then," Nightshine began, "Best pony would be Twilight Sparkle."

"Oho, and why would that be?" Malachite questioned, "You know the rage of fans against her rise to alicorn, do you not?"

"Indeed I do," Nightshine confirmed, "But that didn't change the character she was, and allowed her excel to greater heights. Plus, she is kinda god-like. Season 4 finale was pretty good; just sayin'."

"Interesting, but you mentioned you had a favorite character," Malachite brought up, "Who might this be?"

"It would be," Nightshine paused and looked up, "Sonata. Sonata Dusk."

Brad looked at Sonata, who looked at him in awe. She began to feel tears.

'I'm his favorite?' she thought, 'But why? Wasn't I only in that one movie?'

"I see," Malachite said with wonder, "And why would that be?"

"She is a character, no, a person with potential," Nightshine responded strongly, "There is so much more that they could do with her, and she was such a fun one to watch throughout Rainbow Rocks." He made eye contact with Sonata. "And she's made me happier than anyone else in my life."

Sonata looked at Brad with tears, and jumped off the bed and ran to the bathroom.

'I hope I didn't upset her,' Brad thought, 'May have gone overboard.'

"Wow," Malachite said, "That's a pretty strong opinion. Well, I have to say, you're part of the Bronies now."

"Thanks," Nightshine responded.

"Alright, let's get this show rollin' then at last," Swift announced with a groan in his voice.

"Wouldn't be you if you didn't moan, eh Swift?" Lightray butted in.

"Nah, that's why I do it," Swift replied cheekily.


Sonata was in the bathroom, washing her face. She had closed the door behind her; not wanting to be disturbed. She looked up into the mirror above the sink she was cleaning her face in.

"Why?" She said to herself shakily, "He said all those things about me. Did he mean it? He's been so kind me; everyone has. But did he mean what he said? No-one's ever said that about me. I've been following those two for so long, I've never had anyone say something so...nice." Sonata looked down at her hands. "I'm different. Different to anyone in this world. I'm a siren, a bad guy. I'm blue, for Pete's' sake; whatever that means. Why would anyone like me?'

A knock at the door interrupted her.

"Um...who is it?" Sonata asked, shakily.

"Josh," the voice answered, "and are you alright? You just went running in there. Something Brad said?"

"Yeah, but not in a bad way," Sonata replied, "I just need a bit of alone time."

"OK, I'll be in my room if you need me," Josh offered.

"Thanks," Sonata said appreciatively.

As the faint sound of footsteps faded away, Sonata began talking to herself once more.

"They seem to like me, all three of them," Sonata continued, "But is what he said true? I just don't know.'And she's made me happier than anyone else in my life.' Was that true? Did he mean the character from the film? I-I need to ask him! But he's doing that radio thing, and I don't want to interrupt him. What do I do?"


"Alright, we're gonna take a quick break, and let you guys listen to some tunes," Malachite announced, "But we'll be back soon enough!"

A beep came from Malachites' end of the call.

"OK, guys, great so far," Steven congratulated, "Brad, not bad at all. Told ya you'd be fine."

"Thanks," Brad responded, "How long are the intervals?"

"About fifteen minutes, why?" Steven asked.

"There's someone I need to quickly talk to," Brad explained.

"Go on, then," Steven allowed, "But don't be too long. We'll be back on for...9:30 in your time zone."

"OK, thanks," Brad said.

He muted his microphone, and put the laptop on his bed. He then got up, and made his way to Josh's room; peering inside.

"Where's Sonata?" Brad asked urgently.

Josh turned around from the T.V. screen. "In the bathroom. She said she was fine, but I don't think she was. What'd you say?"

"I hope nothing wrong," Brad muttered. He made his way to the bathroom, noticing the door was closed on the way.

'Maybe I shouldn't have said what I did,' Brad thought, 'I'll apologize, and hope we can still be friends. I shouldn't have gone overboard'.

Brad knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" a muffled voice asked from the bathroom.

"Brad," he answered, "Please, Sonata, let me talk to you."

The bathroom door opened slightly. Brad took this as an invitation in. As he walked in, he looked at Sonata. Her eyes had bags under them, and the eyes sore from tears. The tears had soaked her face, and some of her clothes. Her mouth stood slightly open; as if it was trying to move.

"Sonata, listen, I'm sorry for-" Brad began. He was interrupted by a sudden hug, and tears from Sonata; and slight sobs could be heard from the shoulder in which Sonata had placed her head.

"Did *sniff* did you really mean what you said?" Sonata asked through her tears, "About me being making you the happiest you've *sniff* ever been?"

Brad looked down at her in shock.

"Listen," Brad tried to say, "I didn't mean to go overboard like that in front of you."

"Di-did you mean what you said?" Sonata tried asking again.

"Every word with all the honesty I could muster," Brad replied.

"No-no one has every said anything like that t-to me," Sonata replied through her tears, "I couldn't believe it was true, I didn't. I'm-I'm," She looked up at Brad. "Thank you."

"I understand you're still confused, Sonata," Brad began, "But I'll always be there to help you. We all will. You do make me happy. And helped change my life for the better."

"T-thank you," Sonata replied, "s-so much."

"Anytime," Brad simply responded, "Now let's say you join me for the last hour an half of this show. Together."

"I'd love to," Sonata answered after she sniffled.

Brad passed her some tissues from the window; Sonata graciously accepted. After she blew her nose a few times and cleaned her face, the duo returned back to Brads' room. Brad sat his bed first, placing the laptop back on his lap. He patted the bed a couple times to the right of him, Sonata getting on the bed and sitting next to Brad.

"You don't mind me sitting here?" Sonata asked.

"Not a bit," Brad answered.

Brad unmuted his microphone.

"Hello?" Brad asked into the abyss, "Anyone there?"

"Brad, where were ya?" Phil asked, "Worried ya wouldn't be back in time."

"Sorry," Brad answered, "But I had someone I needed to see before I went back on air. It was bothering me the whole time we were on." He looked at Sonata. "But it's all good now, and I feel so much better having my worries about them cleared."


"Alllllllllright everbody, that's our show for this afternoon, and evening aswell," Malachite concluded.

"Hope you all enjoyed it this session," Swift added.

"We'll be back on at 3pm eastern time," Lightray contined, "Or 8pm Britain, or 8am if you're like me in Australia!"

"But until next time," Nightshine finished, "Keep on being Broni!"

A small jingle played from the laptop.

"Guys, that was brill," Steven complimented, "One of our best shows yet. Brad, you were fantastic today. Keep up the work, and you'll be doing just fine 'round here."

"Thanks Steve," Brad answered, "I'll be back up same time tommorow?"

"Yeah, thanks everyone," Steven confirmed, "and keep it up. We'll get there eventually to the top."

"Yeah, yeah," Micheal groaned, "And when do ya think that'll be? After the fandom dies?"

"Have faith, Mike," Phil assured, "We'll keep going. I don't mind either way; I'm happy that I get paid for Pete's sake! Means I can live in ma home."

"Eh, true," Michael agreed, "It does pay the rent."

"We know you're only jokin' around, Mike, ya love it really," Phil told him.

"In a weird way," Michael jokingly said, "Anyway, I'm off for the evenin'. See ya all tomorrow."

"I'll be off aswell," Phil added, "Try an' get a couple hours extra kip."

"Alright, take care you too," Steven told them.

Two pictures went down, leaving only Stevens.

"I guess I should probably get going, too," Brad admitted, "It's fairly late and people in my house will want to get to sleep."

"But it's a Friday," Steven responded bluntly.

"I need sleep, in all honesty, or I won't get up at all," Brad laughed.

"OK, then," Steven laughed with, "Guess you are still young, I suppose. See you tomorrow."

The call hung up, leaving Brad alone in his room in silence.

'What a night,' Brad thought, 'That could have gone better, but at least everything ended up well.'

He turned to speak to Sonata, only to catch his breath. Her eyes were closed, and was lied on the bed with a hand next to her face. She snored only softly. Brad looked down at her, finding himself clutching his chest.

'Gah,' Brad thought, 'This must be what diabetes is like. That is so damn adorable!'

Brad put his laptop to one side, leaving it on to see in the dark room.

'I'm not waking her up now,' he thought, 'She can sleep there tonight.'

Brad went into his wardrobe, and took out a couple of fleeces. He placed them on the bed, and looked at Sonata once more.

'That is so damn cute,' Brad thought, 'Seriously, nothing could have prepared me for this.'

He took the fleeces and lay them gently over Sonata; making sure her whole body was covered. He then simply got into bed the to the right of her, getting under the bed covers and facing the wall. He turned to look at Sonata once more.

"Good night, Sonata," Brad whispered, "Sleep well."

Brad began to close his own eyes, allowing him to recap what had happened during the day.

'OK,' he began to think, 'I now have the most adorable thing on the planet next to me, living here with my stepbrothers, and we're already friends. If this isn't the best day in history, I don't know what is.'

With that, Brad began to lose consciousness, and drifted off to sleep.

Author's Note:

Oh. My. God. I am sorry for leaving it so long. Combined with a slight writers block, I had no idea what to write after this but that's now sorted), two essays and Pokemon ORAS coming out, time hasn't been something to find. This could've been 2 chapters, but I owed you guys an apology, so take my words! Seroiusly, didn't expect this to be over 4,000! Also, I understand my grammar isn't perfect, so if you notice any mistakes, highlight them. I want to make this better, so just point them out. I'll be slightly miffed if there are any in this one saying I proof-read it for half an hour, but oh well. On the bright side, 53 favorites? Woohoo! You guys rock! :twilightblush: I'll keep putting out this stuff for you guys if you like it! Anyway, until next time; peace!