• Published 13th Nov 2014
  • 2,868 Views, 30 Comments

Mane Six vs. Technology - StevieBond



The famous six mares learn to use each kind of human technology during thier vacation.

  • ...
7
 30
 2,868

Excerise With Toast

Author's Note:

First off, thank you folks for the suggestions. I've incorporated the ideas into one as shown below.

Also, apologies if this seems short, but I'll try to make the next ones longer.

"So we should we do now?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well I would like to spread my wings above the clouds, I haven't flown since we got here." Rainbow replied.

"I don't think that's wise, Rainbow." Twilight responded. "The last thing we need is public attention."

"That's because you don't know what it's like to have wings."

Twilight glared back at Rainbow, not pleased by her remark.

"What about sweet shopping?" Pinkie asked.

"That wouldn't be necessary, Pinkie." Rarity replied. "As much as I would like to look around for fashion, it's far too risky for us ponies."

"Then is there anythin' that would be considered as safe for us?" Applejack asked with her hooves in the air.

"Okay girls," Twilight began. "I think we should have a look around this whole apartment and see what else we can try using."

"Um, like what?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well, there's that small electrical appliance in the kitchen that caught my interest earlier."

"You mean that trapezoid-looking thing by the breadbox?" Rainbow asked which caused the others to blink in surprise.

"How in the hay do you know that?" Applejack asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Does it matter?"

"Well I'm gonna look at it myself." Pinkie declared as she bounced into the kitchen.

The others followed her and when they came across the toaster, Pinkie stopped bouncing.

"So, what is that appliance, Twilight?" Rarity asked with her left hoof under her chin.

Twilight brought her guidebook with her and opened it to a page.

"According to the book, this is called a toaster and it toasts bread, which seems simple enough."

"Simple, you mean as in totally complicated?" Rainbow remarked.

"I don't think it should be that hard to use." Fluttershy responded.

"Well ah might as well take the first go, see what happens." Applejack said. "Anypony got any bread?"

Pinkie's tail began to move on it's own.

"Oooh, my Pinkie senses say it's in this cupboard." she said.

She opened the cupboard door next to the cooker and dived right in, making a mess in that part of the kitchen before coming out with a pack of bread with it being held by the end of the wrapper in her mouth.

"Here you go, one pack of bread!"

"Uh, we'll need to open the pack before we can toast any of this bread." Twilight said.

"You don't say?!" Rainbow replied which got her evil looks from Twilight.

"Well how can we do that since our hooves a little big to open it?" Applejack asked.

"I know, Rarity can use her horn to pierce through the packet." Pinkie suggested.

Rarity gasped.

"Absolutely not!" she exclaimed. "I am a unicorn with high standards, I will never use my horn physically to open packets!"

Rainbow facehoofed at her Canterlot behaviour.

"Any other ideas?" Fluttershy asked.

"We could use our teeth." Applejack suggested.

"Hello uh Applejack, we're ponies, not animals?" Rainbow remarked.

"Ya know Rainbow, you're not exactly helpin' 'ere."

Twilight sighed, "Alright, I'll open it."

She then used her magic to grab a kitchen knife and had a thought of temptation to create a moment of bloodshed around the kitchen, but it passed instantly and she pierced the packet and letting a few slices fall out. She then brought the toaster down to the floor so they could see it better.

"So uh what do we do next?" Applejack asked as she grabbed a slice with her left hoof.

"It says that you put the bread in one of those two slots." Twilight replied.

Applejack then proceeded to place the bread in one of the slots, but with the size of her hoof, it proved difficult to line it up properly.

"Uh, might need a little help 'ere." she said.

"Well you're the one who loves to get her hooves dirty, right?" Rarity smirked.

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

Twilight grabbed the slice with her magic and placed it in the left slot as she was getting fed up with the snide comments.

"There, done!" she sighed angrily. "Now, we push down that small plastic flap on the side to bring the bread inside and then it turns on automatically."

Pinkie pushed the flap down and then the toaster was on as the tiny metal bars inside glowed orange and the entry surface began to warm up.

"Now we have to wait for however long we want the bread to be toasted." Twilight added.

"Um, how long did we set it for?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well, looking at the mini timer on the other side of the toaster, it should be another nine minutes."

"Then that bread is gonna be...toast!" Rainbow laughed.

Pinkie paused the whole scene, placed on her displeased expression and walked off the story, before brining in a tumbleweed and moved it with her head from one side to the other and when it was out of the way, she jumped back into the story and un-paused the scene.

"So anyways." Pinkie said. "What should we do while we're waiting?"

"What about that weird invention over there?" Applejack asked as she pointed to what looked like an exercise machine near the doorway to the balcony.

"It looks like some kind of metal d-d-d-dragon." Fluttershy replied as she shivered slightly.

"Metal dragon? Don't speak such nonsense, dear." Rarity said.

"Then what is it exactly?" Rainbow asked.

"This is an exercise machine." Twilight answered, "It says that humans use these for when they need to lose weight and build strength."

"Oooh, maybe we should try it!" Pinkie said happily.

"But why?" Rarity asked. "I for one have the finest figure in all of Equestria."

"Now who's the one boasting?" Rainbow muttered.

"Well looking at that machine, ah don't think we are in the right shape to try it." Applejack said. "Besides, ah'm already a mighty good athlete so ah don't need to exercise."

"But what about Big Mac?" Fluttershy asked. "I think he could use one of those."

"For what?" Rainbow asked in confusion.

Applejack jokingly but gently nudged her hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder.

"You're not suggestin' that ya fancy mah brother, are ya?"

"Um, no it's...not...um...like that." she replied before glowing whole pink in embarrassment.

"Girls, I think I've got it." Twilight said

She stood up on her back legs and used her hoof to push the power button, the machine was now on and she pushed the walk button and the moving area of where the feet walk on began to move. Twilight almost lost her balance but soon got into a walking rhythm whilst holding onto the side handlebars with her hooves.

"Seems easy enough." Pinkie said. "Lemme try, lemme try!"

Twilight got off and Pinkie then trotted on it with minimal effort.

"Twilight?" Rainbow asked. "You wanna lose weight?"

"No, do I look like I need to lose weight? I'm not interested in stallions I'll have you know."

"Oh does that mean your barn swings the other way?" Applejack asked, raising the eyebrows.

Twilight growled and showed off a foul mood.

The mares looked at her, they now began to wonder if Twilight was still okay with how things were going.

"Umm darling," Rarity said, "We're not being much of a problem, are we?"

"Well, where do I start?" she asked.

Pinkie then used her nose to push the start button on the machine to turn it off.

Just then, a loud noise from outside swooped by, this caught the ponies attention as they walked to the doors and opened them, leading them to the balcony. They looked up and saw a jet plane flying above them and it was landing down before it was out of sight from the ponies view.

Rainbow couldn't believe what she just saw.

"What...was...that?!" she asked.

"It's an aeroplane and I can't believe it either!" Twilight replied. "When I first read some of this, I never thought it was possible that humans could fly in one of those."

"Humans flying? No way!"

"Oh goodness. That sounds amazing." Fluttershy added.

"Look, there's another one." Pinkie pointed seeing one that was higher in the sky and flying above thier heads.

"So how do aeroplanes work in detail?" Applejack asked.

"Well, I haven't studied on aeroplanes in full detail yet, so I'll have to get back to you on that one." Twilight replied.

"Those aeroplanes do move slowly, though." Rainbow said. "I could fly to wherever they're going to in ten seconds flat."

"We know!" The other five mares replied, causing Rainbow to frown.

"By the way, don't even think about following one, Rainbow." Twilight warned. "We don't want any more attention from the humans after earlier."

"Duh, I know that."

Just then, they heard ding coming from the toaster and the now burnt toast was sticking out.

"Toast is ready!" Pinkie exclaimed as she grabbed it with her hoof and took a bite before she spat it out. "Yuck! This toast tastes funny and I'm not even laughing."

"That's because it's burnt, Pinkie." Rarity replied. "Although that said, I am getting kind of hungry."

"Same here." Applejack replied.

"I guess we could have a quick break and have some toast together." Twilight added. "I'll take care of making toast, girls."

"Good idea and then, we can discuss what else to find in the hotel." Fluttershy replied.

"Uh, Twilight's supposed to be the genius one here." Rainbow said.

"Oh...um...sorry..."

After a few minutes, Twilight got six slices of toast made and they weren't burnt this time. They all smiled and nodded as they really liked it and saw it as trying something new, even if toasters weren't possible in Equestria. Shortly after they were done, Twilight took the dishes into the kitchen and placed them in the sink before rejoining the others and discussing what to look around for next.