• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 2,091 Views, 146 Comments

One With the Hive - Jank Rubz



After a relocation of a butterfly swarm, Fluttershy wishes she never ventured into the Everfree...

  • ...
7
 146
 2,091

1. Butterflies in the Stomach

In Ponyville, nopony was suited for the job of caring for animals than the pony Fluttershy. With this in mind, Fluttershy was charged with herding a wild flock of butterflies back to the Everfree with her friend Applejack by the mayor herself. Fluttershy, knowing that she had an expert handle on this kind of situation, knew that she’d have to coax the butterflies into distraction so that Applejack could capture them. Fluttershy approached the swarm of butterflies with her usual hesitance.

“Um,” she started, alerting the butterflies to her presence. “If you could all just so kindly, um… would you please-“

“Get a move on it!” Applejack yelled to her, sounded alarmed. “They might lose in’erest or get too scared!”

“Okay…” Fluttershy feebly responded to Applejack, sounding frightened. “I didn’t mean to-“

“Fluttershy,” Applejack interrupted. “Just distract these here butterflies already.”

The butterflies were clearly looking restless and unable to be snared properly. Fluttershy then started to whimper, scared of how she was failing at her assignment. They had been trying to capture this swarm all day and she thought that all of their hard work and toil would be wasted. Fluttershy then started to speak in a soft, incomprehensible whisper.

“Could you guys, please just…”

The butterflies at this point were immensely distracted, through alternate ways conflicting with Applejack’s idea, but she wasn’t complaining. Applejack then unhooked the net from her saddlebags with her mouth and whisked out a giant butterfly net, making sure to keep her eye on the swarm. She rotated her head viciously to give the net momentum and threw it at the swarm, ensnaring all the butterflies.

“Yee-ha!” Applejack shouted triumphantly. “Good job, sugar-cube!”

Fluttershy was startled by the throwing of the net, and she felt sorrow for capturing the poor creatures.

“Maybe that was just a teeny bit excessive, Applejack,” Fluttershy quietly responded.

While speaking to Fluttershy, Applejack trotted to the net and started to circle it, securing the net so that the butterflies wouldn’t escape.

“Well, the mayor did hire us to capture these here renegade butterflies,” Applejack responded. “And the mayor thought that you’d be slim pickin’s for a pony that could calm down that swarm.”

“Well,” Fluttershy responded. “Why did we have to capture them in the first place?”

“Um…” Applejack replied in a confused tone. “I don’t know. Maybe it’s just because they were creatin’ a nuisance and such. The mayor wasn’t quite clear on the details. Let’s just go and release ‘em in the Everfree already.”

“Oh, um… The Ev-Ev-Ev-Everfr-fr-free?” Fluttershy stammered. “Why would you r-r-release these into the Everfr-fr-free?”

“Because that’s our job, sugar-cube,” Applejack said with a sigh as she tied the net around her waist and began hauling her cargo of butterflies. “And I’m sure they’ll be safe in the Everfree.”

And so, with much reluctance but passive subservience, Fluttershy accompanied Applejack to the Everfree forest and trekked through for about five minutes, making sure to keep track of natural landmarks as they trotted through. With some scared reactions from Fluttershy accompanied with the stalwart reassurance from Applejack to calm her, they finally made it to a clearing in the Everfree to release the butterflies. Fluttershy made sure to quickly scan the area for anything that could harm the butterflies, but eventually let her fears take hold and abandon her post.

“Alright now, Fluttershy,” Applejack addressed her, pointing to certain parts of the net. “I’m gonna pull from here and you’re gonna pull when I do so. Okay?”

Fluttershy nodded and held onto her end of the rope with her mouth, emulating Applejack’s actions.

“Ready now,” Applejack commanded in muffled words as she prepared herself to pull the rope back. “Three, two, one, release!”

Fluttershy did as she was told and released it at just the right time. The butterflies then all emerged from the net in one swift and tumultuous flock, blowing back the hair of their pony captives and fleeing off into a random direction in the Everfree.

“I could have taken care of them, you know,” Fluttershy said to Applejack. “I would have built a whole new coop just to house them.”

“That’s just way too much of a responsibility there, sugar-cube,” Applejack responded in her usual caring tone. “Quite frankly, I just don’t think you’re prepared for that big of task, considerin’ the nature of… um…”

“Of what, Applejack?” Fluttershy asked, curious as to what Applejack had to say.

“Oh, nothin’!” Applejack said with a smile. “Let’s get out of this creepy forest already.”

And so, Fluttershy followed Applejack through the Everfree, but Fluttershy’s constant fears of the forest were taking hold, slowing her down. She tried to signal to Applejack that she needed to catch up to her, but she was just speaking too quietly for her to hear. She then tried to fly over the dense foliage, but couldn’t muster the wing strength. Her fears were consuming her indefinitely.

As she was galloping to catch up to Applejack, whimpering as she galloped, she managed to trip over a large rock and collided into the ground. From what it turned out to be, the ground was actually false, as it gave way, letting Fluttershy plummet down a narrow dirt chute. Her cries of fear were vanquished by the padding of the dirt chute, and the chute covered itself up through some sort of magic. Frightful out of her mind, Fluttershy screamed the entire fall down, in which she fell on a giant bed of luminescent mushrooms, perfectly cradling her fall.

The mushrooms she fell on were somehow glowing brightly enough for her to see the cave walls. The whole cave had smelled of terrible fungal growths and the air was so thick that she could hardly breathe. She was cowering before her new environs, shivering in fear and screaming for Applejack to save her. She had no idea what anything was around her, as her handle clearly wasn’t fungus.

Then, without her noticing, a small, green, gelatinous blob-like substance started creeping up towards her, slinking its way across the mushrooms with great stealth and at an alarmingly fast pace. Fluttershy didn’t notice the amorphous substance approach her until she felt its warm, moist embrace across her leg. Fluttershy then shrieked in terror as she felt this substance touch her leg, caught in between tears and thoughts of dread.
“What is that?!” she shrieked out loud. “Applejack, save me!”

The gelatinous substance then shot a part of itself at Fluttershy’s mouth, meeting with her cheeks and creating a sealant that effectively covered her mouth. The substance then slinked across Fluttershy’s chest, with her backing down in terror as she saw it progressively make its way to her face. It then shot itself at her limbs to hold her down, reminiscent to the sealant created for her mouth. Fluttershy was a blabbering mess at that point, shaking her head vigorously trying to escape with a futile effort.

The blob then somehow took the form of a mouth, and started speaking to her into what she could comprehend.
“Relax, our little foal,” the blob said in a soothing yet ominous, echoing female-like voice. The voice rang through Fluttershy’s ears, resonating through to her, creating a harmonic experience for her to calm down. “You are not in any harm at all.”

The sealant around Fluttershy’s mouth gave way, as it separated from both sides of her mouth and retreated to the blob, becoming a part of it.

“W-w-w-w-what d-d-d-do you w-w-want w-w-w-with m-m-m-me?” she stammered. “Just g-g-get me out of h-h-here!”

“We plan on doing that, our little foal,” the voice nearly sang to her. “But you have encroached upon our territory. It’s only fair that we offer the ‘gift’ to you.”

“What do you m-m-m-mean by g-g-gift?”

“The gift of the hive. We are one sentient being, a part of a larger structure that is dying off. We need a pony that can take care of us. A pony that can help us live and thrive on.”

The thought of caring for another living thing had appealed to Fluttershy, as she had then saw it as an exotic creature of sorts in an effort to justify her not exploding with fear.

“W-w-well,” Fluttershy stammered, her mental state becoming more calm. “I can help t-t-take care of y-y-you as long as you please f-f-free me.”

“We plan on doing so,” the blob said. “But we need a… a more viable conduit to escape.”

“What do you m-m-mean by-“ Fluttershy said before she saw the blob roll up her face, entering her mouth and ears. She was taken aback at the choking feeling of the blob substance entering her esophagus, and the pain of it slithering through her ears to her brain. If she could scream at that point, it would be a thunderous cry for help as she long for the pain to stop. Finally, she could feel the substance in her stomach, creating a sickening feeling. The substance had made its way to her brain, seeping its way into it without damaging it with such a strange feeling. Her view then went dark, as her eyes began to roll into the back of her head.

To be continued...