• Published 20th Oct 2014
  • 1,966 Views, 22 Comments

Missing Piece - FuzzytheWhatzit

  • ...
8
 22
 1,966

1 - The Letter

Dear Princess Celestia, today I learned.....
...friendship isn't easy. No, nevermind. I didn't learn that today, I've known this for quite some time. But friendship with someone you love, someone you know likes someone else... now that's a million times harder.

I didn't recognize it at first. When she grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the crater, I was scared and ashamed. I knew that everything I had done up to that point was wrong. It felt like... like I was backed into a corner and I didn't know what to do.
She gave me an option, to make friends with the five that I split apart. It still baffles me, after everything I did to her, she was perfectly willing to forgive me and help me any way that she could.

I admired her, how forgiving and kind she was. She took the same path I did, but she succeeded where I had failed. When she left, I felt like a part of me went with her. I still needed her guidance, but I didn't even know if I was going to see her again.

After that, I kept catching myself thinking about her. In many situations, I found myself asking, "What would Twilight do?" I used what I could remember of her to keep myself going, and strive to be a better person.

When she returned, I got to see a side of her that I didn't even know existed. I admired her, like she was some perfect, flawless being. Now I saw her weakness, her fears. I realized that she had flaws, just like me and anyone else. Now I know how horrible that was. What strain that put on her.

But that didn't stop me from looking up to her. In fact, it made me admire her even more. She may struggle, but she always gives it her best shot. Even when it seems impossible, she still tries to pull through.

Today, she came to visit again. She told us she wouldn't be able to visit as often as she would like. Celestia told her it could be dangerous to use the portal too often, so this was the last time I would be able to see her this year. I was pretty torn up when I heard this, but I tried to hide it as best as I could.

She didn't seem to notice until she mentioned that she wanted to see Flash one more time before she left. It felt like a stake just pierced my heart, knowing that I won't ever be with her.

When she did, she instantly assumed it was because I still have feelings for Flash. She and the others still don't believe me when I tell them that I never had feelings for him, but I'm too nervous to admit the truth. That it isn't Flash Sentry that I have feelings for.

But if I want to keep this friendship, I need to come clean. I can't hide this from you anymore, Twilight. It isn't fair to you.

I love you, Twilight, but I don't want you to let this stop you from being with Flash. I will be fine, don't worry about me. You're an amazing person, and you deserve a nice guy like him.

Your faithful student, Sunset Shimmer


----------------


Twilight covered her mouth with her hoof and gently closed the book and placed it next to her. She could feel a sharp pain in her chest. Her vision started to blur as her eyes filled with tears.

"Twilight, are you okay?" Spike said worriedly.

Twilight wiped her tears away and tried to force them down. "Yeah... I don't know if Sunset is though. Spike, what am I going to do? She... she says she's in love with me but I don't know..." Twilight trailed off.

"She's in what!?" he exclaimed. "Well, do you like her back?"

"...I don't think so...? I don't know..." She let her head fall onto the bed dramatically. "I mean, she's a great friend, but... I don't want to hurt her..."

Spike cringed. He didn't know what to say.

Twilight let out a long groan then sat back up, using her magic to move the book back in front of her and opened it to the next page.

"Dear Sunset Shimmer...." she said as she wrote. The pen floated in the air for a moment as she thought of something- anything she could say without hurting Sunset.

Her thoughts drifted to every memory she had with Sunset. How they seemed so alike, and yet so different at the same time. She remembered Sunset's redemption, and how she seemed so... vulnerable ever since. No, it wasn't that. Sunset was strong, she just left herself more vulnerable when she was near Twilight.

And now she knew why. She let out a deep sigh and closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them, she noticed writing under what she had already written.

"It's okay, you don't need to say anything. I know you don't feel the same way, and that's fine."

It paused for a brief moment, but before Twilight could reply more words appeared. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you anything. I probably just made things very awkward for you..."

"Please forgive me..." The text above smudged, as if water had dripped on it.

Twilight took a shaky breath, then quickly wrote, "Stay right there. I'm coming over."

She dropped the book and bolted from her bed.

"Twilight, what are you doing?"

"I'm going to see Sunset Shimmer."

"Wait, but Cele-"

"I don't care! She needs my help. Please, Spike, promise me you'll keep this a secret okay?" She stopped in front of the portal and turned toward him.

"Uhh..."

"Promise me!" Twilight demanded.

"...Okay. I promise."

Twilight nodded, then added, "Stay here. If I go alone, maybe it won't cause as much damage."

"What?! But Twilight!" But before Spike could stop her, Twilight had already gone through and disabled the portal. Spike sighed, placing his hand on the mirror. "Twilight, I hope you know what you're doing..."

Twilight rolled on the pavement, then stood up slowly. It always took a moment to adjust to the new body.

"Twilight!" Sunset called, running towards her. "Twilight, I thought you said you couldn't-"

Twilight quickly wrapped her arms around Sunset. "It will be fine, besides..." She pulled back to look Sunset in the eyes. "You were crying. I saw it. I can't just ignore that, I am the Princess of Friendship after all."

Sunset was frozen for a moment, "Yeah..." she smiled. "But I'm fine-"

"No, we need to talk about this. I... I don't want to hurt you anymore."

"Hurt me? No.... Twilight it's not your fault..." Sunset took Twilight's hand and enclosed it in hers. "Look, you aren't responsible for how I feel. It's my problem, and I'll deal with it."

Twilight looked down at her hand. She placed her other hand on Sunset's and let out a deep sigh. "I'm still worried about you. You've had to go through so much-"

"Yeah, well I'm sure it's nothing compared to what you've been through, being an Alicorn Princess." Sunset smirked at her.

"It's not a contest, Sunset. Your pain still matters, and you don't have to deal with it on your own. I'm here, and so is your friends. And I don't care what Celestia says, if you need to talk to me, I'll be here for you."

Sunset nodded slowly and smiled, letting go of Twilight's hand. "Thank you. You really should get back, though."

Twilight cringed. She didn't want to go back, not yet, but she knew what was at stake if she stayed too long. She really did miss Sunset, even more than she realized.

"Alright... Well, I'll see you in a few month's then..." she said dejectedly.

"See ya," Sunset waved goodbye as she watched Twilight walk back through the portal.

"Well that didn't take long," Spike remarked, but Twilight didn't answer. "Twilight?" he said worriedly as Twilight walked past him like he wasn't even there.

She let herself fall onto the bed, the corner of the book digging into her side. She quickly shifted and moved the book back to it's shelf with her magic.

She felt the pain in her chest once again, but it was different. Less like a stake through her heart and more...

More like a piece of herself was missing.

Author's Note:

The world needs more SunLight and I need to get better at writing so I'm tackling two problems at once. I hope you all enjoy this ^^