• Published 18th Oct 2014
  • 1,991 Views, 27 Comments

Chaos and Harmony - MLP Fangirl



Two ponies who don't have anything in common certainly couldn't be friends right? Well, opposites attract. Find out how a chaos loving spirit and a harmony loving alicorn resolve their differences and become friends.

  • ...
5
 27
 1,991

A Cold Catastrophe Pt. 2

The gang arrived at Canterlot Palace. The weather conditions here weren't any better than Ponyville's. The snow kept on falling and piling into huge mounds. Almost no pony was out on the streets. Those that were outside were either royal guards or civilians trying to get home. The cold continued to linger, and it wasn't going to die down anytime soon.

Upon their arrival, a familiar Pegasus mare was waiting in front of the main gate. She was covered head to hoof in winter clothing but on her vest was the royal guard insignia, which distinguished her from other mares. Aurora greeted them but with less enthusiasm than per norm.

"Princess Twilight, Princess Luna is waiting in the throne room. I suggest we get inside now before we freeze to death," Aurora ushered.

"What's with the attitude change, Aurora? I thought you'd be excited to see us," Pinkie said as they entered the castle.

"Believe me, I'm really glad to see you guys. It's been about two months since the road trip. But, thanks to this weather, no one can really put on a cheerful smile. Except maybe you, Pinkie," Aurora answered with a semi-happy face.

"Well, don't worry. We'll figure out the cause of this cold in no time," Twilight assured. They entered the throne room and were greeted by Princess Luna. Princess Celestia was on her throne with her head down and horn glowing. She looked much like Princess Cadence when she was protecting the Crystal Empire. Twilight rushed up to her.

"Princess! Are you--?"

"I wouldn't bother her, Twilight. She needs to keep her concentration on the sun. Sadly, in spite of this, the cold has not gotten better. We've done everything we can to warm things up. However, nothing's working," Luna said with a sigh.

"You've looked at all your heat spells?" Rarity inquired.

"Of course, only to be met with more cold," Luna replied.

"What's causing it?" Discord asked.

"Is it a...monster?" squeaked Fluttershy.

"Well...at this point in time, I cannot accurately answer that question. In other words, we don't know yet," Luna answered sadly. Everyone looked down.

"We may have an idea, though." Everyone turned their heads towards Celestia who was no longer casting her spell.

"Sister, what are you doing? That spell should not be interrupted in order for it's full power to be unleashed," Luna scolded.

"Yes, but it's not working. I've been casting this spell for hours, and nothing's improved. I'm not going to waste my energy on a spell that doesn't work. Now, as I was saying, we might have an idea on where it might be coming from." Celestia materialized a map.

"Ooh! Where's Ponyville? Oh, I see it. It's right there!" Pinkie pointed to a spot on the map.

"Thanks, Pinkie. Now we know where Ponyville is," Rainbow said flatly.

"Do I hear sarcasm?" Pinkie gave Rainbow the stink-eye.

"No!' Rainbow quickly said avoiding eye contact.

"All right, all right, settle down you two," Applejack scolded.

"Anyway, we have reason to believe that this blizzard is coming from the Icy Mountains. If you look outside, past the Crystal Kingdom, you can scarcely make out the outline of a mountain range. Some scientists believe that the Icy Mountains is where snow was first developed. And as it turns out, the snow fall there appears to be the strongest. The cause of this cold might be coming from there." Celestia rolled up the map with her magic.

"Luna and I were going to go up there ourselves, but many of Canterlot's citizens have come here seeking warmth. We need to look after them. I hate to have to keep calling on you girls to save the days, but I know you six will be able to do it."

"Well, what about me?" Discord asked indignantly.

"Yah, and me?" Spike asked in the same tone.

"Spike, we could use your assistant skills here in the castle. After all your years of helping Twilight, I think you'd be perfect for the job," Celestia explained in her gentle voice.

Spike thought about it for a moment. "Any other options?

"Well, you may accompany the others. But would you rather go out there in the cold or stay in here where it's relatively warm?" Luna raised an eyebrow.

"Yah...I think I'll choose the latter," Spike answered.

"Good choice, Spike. I don't what I'd do if you would have frozen to death," Twilight gave Spike a quick nuzzle which he reluctantly accepted.

"As for you, Discord, I would think you'd want to accompany the girls on their journey. Your powers will benefit all of them greatly I'm sure. Unless, of course, you would like to stay here," Celestia said.

"No, no, I'm perfectly fine with that. Don't worry, ladies. I'll protect you. We'll be rid of this blizzard in no time," Discord stated firmly.

"I'm holdin' you to that promise, Discord," Applejack said, slightly smirking.

"Should we gather some essentials before we go? You're not going to send us out with nothing are you?" Rarity asked.

"Of course not. You'll be able to gather some equipment. Assemble items you might need, then meet us back here in, shall we say, an hour. You may leave." Celestia dismissed them, and they all gathered the necessary objects needed for the precarious journey that lay ahead.

As agreed, the ponies met back in the throne room after an hour. Each pony had with them a saddle bag, minus Discord who could materialize any object at any time. Twilight was levitating a map and planning their course. The journey, according to her calculations, would take at least three and a half days without any major delays. Of course, as the ever-organized Princess, Twilight had come up with a plan if they were to run into any unexpected predicaments that might set them back. If an avalanche would occur, she had a plan. If the cliff would crack, she had a plan. Whatever was to come, they would be ready for it.

Celestia stood in front of the ponies, face serious but calm. She knew that anything could happen to them out there, but she understood what these mares were capable of. They'd saved Equestria multiple times before, and they would do it again.

"Are you all ready?"

"Yes!" They all said in unison.

"Good. Now, if you should run into any trouble, contact me immediately. Few ponies have been to the Icy Mountains, mostly due to the extremely low temperature. However, I trust you will be able to endure it. Twilight, Discord, you two should know at least a few body warming spells that will aid you immensely. Once, or rather if you have find the cause to this weather, send me word so that we may come, and hopefully we'll be able to rectify it. Is that clear?"

They all nodded their heads in confirmation.

"Excellent, we wish you luck on your journey. May it be a swift and safe traverse. We implore you to return to us unscathed. Equestria is counting on you," Luna said grimly.

"Thanks, Luna. We will. Come on, everyone. We've got a long trek ahead of us. The sooner we leave the better," Twilight beckoned.

The ponies were escorted out by Aurora. She led them out back in the direction of the mountains.

"Well...good luck, guys. Wish I could go with you. But sadly, I have to stay here and keep control of things. Come back, please."

Twilight hugged Aurora tightly. "We will. That's a promise."

The others said their goodbyes as well. With a final nod, the group headed off, prepared to face any challenges or roadblocks that might stand in their way.

Author's Note:

I know this chapter's rather short, but I'm building up to the climax. The next chapters will be longer, I assure you. Anyway, until next time.