• Published 15th Oct 2014
  • 963 Views, 14 Comments

Rising of the Sun - Starlight Comet



It's amazing when a bad event can turn out to be the start of something great

  • ...
12
 14
 963

Sadness and Auditions

April 15, 2013, 3:30pm

"Oh god," Caramel said, "It's like listening to that Clefairy character singing in that Random Encounters video."

Sunrise, Vinyl, Soarin', Big Mac, Caramel, and The Doctor were in the auditorium waiting to get up on stage. Auditions were being held for the Battle of the Bands and so far, only the Dazzlings, Flash's band The Canterlot Wondercolts, The Cutie Mark Crusaders, the Lunamoons, Octavia, and the Rainbooms moved on to compete against each other. Snips and Snails were singing a rap song, or at least trying to sing a rap song, as everyone in the auditorium, including Vice Principal Luna and Principal Celestia, had covered their ears.

"Thank you, Snips and Snails." Luna said as the song ended, "That was...um...a magnificent effort. The next to perform is a band that combines rock n' roll and techno music. Please welcome to the stage, the Cloudsdales!!"

Sunrise and his friends walked up on stage in front of the entire school. As they were getting into their spots, Sunrise said, "Let's go for the first song we practiced." After receiving a nod from everyone, he turned to Soarin' and said "HIT IT!!!"

After the song ended, Sunrise looked to the crowd and surprised to see everyone wearing a look of shock on their faces.

The Doctor whispered, "Were we really that bad?"

Almost immediately, there was a deafening roar from the crowd as they stood up and applauded.

"My goodness!!" Sunrise heard Principal Celestia say, "that was amazing; I'd say that this band has earned a spot in the Battle of the Bands."

Smiling, the Cloudsdales exited the stage and meet up with the other winners of the auditions.

As they walked backstage, Sunrise could have sworn he heard somebody say, "Great job, Sunrise!" He turned and saw that it was Sonata who had called out. Upon noticing her, Sunrise continued to walk past and went out into the hallway.

"Sunrise," Sonata said as she followed him, "wait; I can explain."

"Okay then," Sunrise said with anger in his voice, "explain why you decided to keep your secret about being a siren a secret. Also, how about telling me who those other girls are. And while we're at it, why don't you tell me how good it felt to consume all of our energy at glee club."

Sonata stepped back, looking hurt as she said, "Sunrise, I felt that if I told you and the rest of the glee club who I really was, you would outcast me."

Sunrise showed no emotion as she continued.

"Second, those two girls are Adagio Dazzle and Aria Blaze; I met them last summer. And," she continued, "I never absorbed any energy from either you or my other friends."

"Well how could I know that?" Sunrise asked as he got in Sonata's face. Sonata opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Sunrise was right; there was no way for him to know whether or not she was telling the truth.

"Exactly," said Sunrise in a disappointed tone. "Do me a favor, Sonata; just don't talk to me during the whole competition."

As he started to walk away from Sonata, an even upsetting thought entered his head.

If she could manipulate feelings, he thought, How do I know if I even love her?

Sunrise shook that thought out of his head and walked away. As she watched Sunrise walk away, Sonata buried her hands in her face so as to hide both her sadness and her tears.

Author's Note:

Most folks wonder why I've tagged this story as dark. Trust me, you'll find out in the next chapter.