• Published 11th Aug 2012
  • 1,136 Views, 13 Comments

Dear Journal - Not



The oldest blank flank in the world trys to find his place.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,136

From the Ashes

I saw her coming from the window. The sun had risen at some point, but I hadn't noticed until now. She came by early. I think it was early. It was hard to tell. I didn't really check the clock.

She was... she was beautiful. She always was. Why had it taken me so long to notice? While I thought that. I still knew that the only reason I wasn't still crying was that I'd run out of tears.

She was smiling as she approached the door. Bouncing like she always did. Humming a tune that I only half remember. She brought some pastries with her for my trip. I wish they would have been used for their intended purpose.

I was a bit out of it when we talked, but I still remember most of it.

I waited for her to knock. She didn't take long. I put on my best imitation of a smile that I could to open the door.

She hopped in with her close-eyed smile. "Are you ready for your trip?" Her smile changed to a look of concern. The tear stains were still plain on my cheeks, which was probably the biggest giveaway. "What's wrong sweetie?"

As soon as she said it my smile broke. My head hung, and my tear ducts ached, but no tears came. My front legs almost gave out, but right before I could fall she was there.

Her front hooves wrapped around my neck. Her face next to mine. We stood there for a few moments just in silence before I was able to talk again. "It's... the trip it's..." I turn and led her to the kitchen. I sat down at the table, and pointed to the letter.

She sat down, and as she read it the concern in her look only grew. Before she could finish reading my head was on the table. "Oh, sweetie." She set the letter down and put her hooves around me again. I sat up and looked at her. She was so kind. She was so beautiful. She was blurry.

I didn't hear her next words as I fell to the floor.

I woke up in my bed. The room was just as light as when I passed out, so I didn't think I'd been out for long. A glass of water was sitting on my bedside table. I drank it quickly. I hadn't realized how thirsty I had been. There was a sound coming from downstairs that I couldn't place for a moment. It was Pinkie talking to somepony. A door closed, and I heard her coming up the stairs. She opened the door and came in slowly. I waved and smiled meekly.

She rushed to my side, and explained what had happened. Apparently the combination of high stress, sleep deprivation, and dehydration didn't agree with me. The doctor had just left, and gave her instructions on what to do to help me get better.

"Thank you." It was all that I could think to say as fresh tears came to my eyes. I wrapped my hooves around her. These weren't sad tears. They were happy. This was why I wouldn't burn the journal. She was why. "Thank you." Even when everything of my life was burning down, when everything was changing all at once, she was the one shining light. I sat up as best I could and pressed my lips to hers. "I love you."

She giggled. "Well, duh." She kissed me back.

I didn't think it was possible to laugh after what had happened, but she found a way. After that I explained a bit about why this was so devastating. My mother had never had the best immune system. She would often be sick when I was growing up. My father always kept her strong, and never got sick. Hearing that my mother was sick would be distressing, but not a big deal, she did that all the time. Hearing that my father was sick was what made it worse. If it was bad enough to get him sick, then it was bad.

I told her about this and more, and she came to one simple conclusion. We would visit Canterlot to see the doctor tomorrow. I had almost no information here, and he might be able to tell us something more. I wanted to go alone, but she insisted, and I didn't really resist. This was something that I needed to do. She didn't need to help, but she wanted to. She would help me stay strong, no matter what happened.

For a while we just sat there. It was nice just being together. Our stomachs however had other plans. Hers growled just moments after mine, and she let out a cute giggle.

She smiled. "I guess I should make us some dinner huh?"

"I can make it." I began to stand up, but she pushed me back down.

"You just woke up from passing out from doing to much on your own. You rest."

I was about to protest when she silenced me with a kiss then placed a hoof on my nose. "Rest."

I laughed. "Fine, you win." She was fun. "Just don't make it all too sugary. We can't all survive on an all cake diet."

"Aw..." She huffed, a half second later she was back to smiling and on her way to the kitchen. "Be back in a minute!"

I can hear her coming up the stairs now. I'm glad I met her, I'm glad I came here, and I'm glad that this isn't just another journal to burn.

Author's Note:

I think I'll only add two more chapters before the first ending. Maybe three. SHIPS AHOY!