• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 1,104 Views, 29 Comments

Competing From the Heart - Aramadon



Rainbow Dash and Applejack both ask Rarity on a date. This kind of situation has torn apart countless friendships…but when the fate of Equestria may depend on you remaining friends, how do you handle competitions of the heart?

  • ...
12
 29
 1,104

The Fire of Friendship Burns in Our Hearts

Standing outside a fancy fashion boutique that didn’t really suit either of them, two long-time friends looked at each other in understanding.

Rainbow gave her friend a nod. “Well then.”

Applejack nodded in kind. “So it is.” Quietly, she turned to make her way back to the farm.

Seeing this, Rainbow quickly reached out and touched her friend on the shoulder – “Wait!”

Applejack turned around. “What is it?”

“I brought you all the way here, I should help you get home. I don’t want to make you walk all the way there twice. Besides, it’s really late.”

“To tell the truth, I’d appreciate it…I have chores in the morning and all. Are you sure?”

“Yeah, of course! Why not?”

“Well, with all this…” Applejack looked at her friend soberly. “We’re still gonna be friends, right?”

Rainbow smiled. “Heck yeah we will. Don’t doubt it for a second.” Inspiration struck her, and she spit on her hoof, holding it out towards Applejack. A big grin grew across Applejack’s face, and she completed their little ritual by spitting in her hoof and shaking Rainbow’s.

It was the happiest either of them had been all evening.

* * *

It was starting to get cold outside, but the body heat from Rainbow helped quite a bit. She’d never ridden directly on a pegasus’ back before – always opting for Twilight’s hot air balloon when she had to fly – but it wasn’t as bad as she thought it’d be. As long as the stunt-flier-in-training wasn’t doing any crazy tricks, the ride was actually quite smooth, and if she was going to take a ride from anypony, she was glad it was Rainbow Dash.

She had both sets of hooves wrapped around her friend in order to hold on tight. It was an oddly close situation for two ponies with so much at stake against the other. However, that was soothing, in a sense. After all the craziness of the day, there were still things a farm girl could depend on. Rainbow Dash, for one.

As time went on, Applejack found herself enjoying the flight more and more. Heck, maybe someday, she’d even ask Rainbow to take her for a flight and do a trick or two – that would be bound to get her blood pumping. Of course, that would only work if they were still friendly in the future. Which we will be. Rainbow promised.

Applejack saw Rainbow enter a glide, and felt herself gradually descend back towards the earth. Coming up on her come, she hugged even a little tighter for the landing.

* * *

Rainbow Dash was almost disappointed to see Sweet Apple Acres come into view – it meant her flight with Applejack was over. Tomorrow, they would go back to being rivals – and probably not in the fun way.

Once she touched down at the farm, Applejack didn’t immediately get off. She spoke, “That was…fun, actually.” Applejack’s voice dropped to a whisper in Rainbow’s ear. “Thank you.”

It was too dark outside to see a blush, but Rainbow was pretty sure she felt some blood rushing to her face. “Any…anytime.”

Applejack slid off of Rainbow’s back, then circled around to look her in the eyes. Applejack’s face was completely serious. “I don’t intend to lose.”

Rainbow’s face mirrored her friend’s. “I know. Me neither.”

Applejack turned towards her house, but stopped in her tracks. After a moment, she turned back around and gave her friend another hug. “No hard feelings, eh? I can’t blame you for feeling the same way that I do.”

Hearing that, Rainbow returned the embrace. “Same here.”

In that moment, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, they were both sure that everything was going to turn out fine.