• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 949 Views, 29 Comments

Shard: A Shining Visitor - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor comes to visit his sister after a break-up

  • ...
2
 29
 949

Fluttershy Seeks Advice

"Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash asked as she floated along beside her friend. "What are we doing here?"

"This is where I'm supposed to meet Twilight and her brother after they're done with Trixie," Fluttershy answered. "Besides... I kind of want to get Rarity's opinion as well."

Rainbow gave a nod and headed for the door. It was unlocked and no Diamond Dog was on the other side watching it.

In the main room of the club a one pony: a cream colored mare with a two-toned cyan mane. A pair of glasses rested on her nose as she looked at a pile of papers in front of her. She hummed to herself as she worked, the faint sound filling the otherwise silent air of the dinner club.

Fluttershy felt something tickling at her side. Turning her head, she found the source to be one of Rainbow Dash's wings. They were spread wide, sticking out from the pegasus' sides as far out as they could. Rainbow's rose colored eyes were wide as she was staring at the mare at the table, her mouth hanging open slightly. It was a look that Fluttershy had never seen on Rainbow's face before.

The surprise of it was enough to make her want to giggle. Instead she moved away from Rainbow Dash and toward the busy mare before clearing her throat, drawing attention to herself and away from her friend.

"Oh," the mare said as she noticed the batpony in front of her. "Sorry. Can I help you with something?"

"Sorry to interrupt your work. I'm Fluttershy, and that's Rainbow Dash."

At the sound of her name, Rainbow Dash snapped out of her stupor. Wings folding against her, she shut her mouth and straightened up.

"'Sup," she said with a nod of her head.

"We're friends of Rarity's," Fluttershy continued, "and came by to see her."

"Nice to meet you," the creamy mare said. "I'm Coco Pommel. I think Rarity is still in bed asleep, but she should be up soon."

"Not soon," a voice called out. "Now. I'm up now."

Rarity stepped into the room, shaking her head. She looked around quickly before focusing on Coco Pommel.

"Coco," Rarity said as she moved closer. "I thought I sent you home last night. Please tell me you went and got some sleep."

"Yes ma'am," Coco answered, shifting some. "I did."

Rarity stopped and studied the other mare a moment.

"Don't tell me you came back here immediately after breakfast."

Coco shifted, chewing her lip as she looked back at the papers in front of her. Rarity let out a sigh and moved closer, placing a hoof on Coco's shoulder.

"I appreciate that you are taking this seriously," she stated, "but I don't want you working too hard. You need to take some time for yourself and relax. Can't have you burned out before you even start, can we."

"I know," Coco said before letting out a sigh. "It's just... this means a lot to me. I want to prove that you made the right choice."

"Take a break," ordered Rarity. "Leave these here and join us for a chat."

With a nod, Coco Pommel got up from the table. Rarity gave her a smile and another pat before turning toward the others.

"Rainbow, Fluttershy, please have a seat. I'll get us some beverages."

Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Coco Pommel all moved to an empty table and sat down as Rarity made her way to the kitchen. A few minutes later, she returned with four glasses.

"So," she asked as she passed out the drinks, "what brings you two here so early?"

"Twilight is introducing Shining Armor to her friends," Fluttershy answered. "They're meeting Trixie now and are supposed to come here next, so I came here. Ran into Rainbow Dash on the way, so I asked her to come with me."

Rarity tilted her head and narrowed her eyes, studying her friend. Shifting under the gaze, Fluttershy grabbed her glass and took a sip. The taste of tomato juice and hint of black pepper slid across her tongue. It was not a drink she had tried before. She found it quite tasty.

"And?" Rarity asked, raising an eyebrow.

Licking at her lips, Fluttershy flicked her gaze toward Coco Pommel. One of the batpony's ears twitched before she returned her attention to Rarity.

"I... I wanted to get some advice about something. But.. it's kind of personal. And..."

"I understand," stated Coco as she got up. "I can check on some things in back of the stage." She turned to start in that direction.

"I do apologize," Rarity called out. "I promise that we'll spend some time together away from work."

Coco gave a grin and continued on. Soon she was out of sight.

"She's hot," Rainbow blurted out.

"High praise from you," Rarity stated with a grin. "And quite unexpected. All the time I have known you, I don't think I've ever seen another pony turn your head."

Rainbow Dash let out a huff, her cheeks turning pink. She grabbed her drink, taking a long gulp. Rarity grinned at the reaction before turning her attention back Fluttershy.

"Now, what is it you wanted to speak with me about? How to tell Shining Armor into bed, or how to tell him that you are romantically interested in him. Although, the two are not mutually exclusive."

"You know?" Fluttershy asked, eyes wide.

Rarity let out a laugh. Reaching out, she placed one of her hooves on top of Fluttershy's and gave it a gentle pat.

"Darling, of course I know. I've listened to the way you've talked about him, remember? I've seen that look in your eyes when he's the subject at hoof." She let out a chuckle. "Besides, it's right out of romance novel. A young, fair maiden, taken in to work at a castle of royalty, meets a handsome young guard, and the two fall in love. They face challenges, he risks his life, but in the end, he becomes a hero and they live happily ever after." She let out a sigh.

Rainbow Dash let out a gagging noise.

"But that's more like what happened between him and Cadance," Fluttershy stated. "Well... except for the last part about 'happily ever after.'" She gripped at her mane and stroked it. "And I don't think he's risked his life for her..."

"Who's Cadance?" Rainbow asked.

"She's an alicorn," explained Fluttershy. "She takes care of Luna's older sister, Princess Celestia. She's closer to Shining Armor's age and they were dating... until recently."

Her gaze turned to her glass, looking at the juice inside it.

"I always kind of liked him. He was really nice, and friendly. Not to say that the other guards weren't, of course. It just... I don't know. It seemed like he was being more of a friend than some of the others. Like he was looking out for me. I guess it was because I reminded him of his sister in a way, so he started treating me like one..."

"So he's nice to you," Rainbow Dash stated, "you like him, and he's single. Clearly you should tell him how you feel. Next time you see him, just let him know."

"I partially agree with Rainbow," Rarity replied. "You should certainly tell him how you feel. Although I disagree with the timing. I feel that you should do so when the two of you have a moment alone so you can do so without interruption."

"You know what?" Rainbow nearly shouted as she got up. "It's good advice, and I'm going to take it myself. If you'll excuse me, I have a mare to ask out." Walking away from the table, she approached the stage to head toward the back. The other two watched her go before turning back to each other.

"I just don't know if I can," Fluttershy stated. "I mean... is this really the right time? His girlfriend did just break up with him. He might be feeling vulnerable. He might be on the rebound. What if he says yes, but for the wrong reasons? What if he says no?" She let out a gasp, her wings flaring. "How will Twilight react?"

"Calm down sweetie, before you hyperventilate. Breathe deeply and calm down. Maybe your drink will help."

"Okay." Fluttershy took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Picking up her drink, she took a long, slow, gulp.

"Alright," Rarity said once her friend had calmed down. "To start: you are her friend, and Shining Armor is her brother, so the relationship would be a matter that affects her. At the same time, it is not her relationship. If things do happen between you and her brother, then you should tell her. She might worry about the relationship, but you are a friend and he is her brother. If you two are happy, she'll be happy for you... eventually.

"If he says yes for the wrong reasons..." she paused, rubbing her chin. "Well, I don't really think I can give you much of an answer on that. It's not really something that I have ever considered. I suppose the best plan would be to hope that -- even if he started the relationship for the wrong reason -- he chooses to stay in it for the right ones. If he simply rejects you, however, I am fairly certain what shall happen. You will be disappointed, and probably depressed for a while. As time passes, you will move on until, one day, you are ready to find a different pony you may be interested in. And believe me when I say that it shall be better if you are aware of his feelings than if you are simply left wondering about what might have been."

Fluttershy chewed her lower lip, her ears shifting as she considered her friend's advice.

"You really think I should?" she asked.

The sound of hooves drew the pair's attention before Rarity could answer. Rainbow Dash was walking back toward them, wings and head drooping low to the ground. Reaching the others, Rainbow grabbed her drink, chugged the entire thing down, then slammed her head against the table and let out a groan.

"Uhm..." Fluttershy moved closer. "How did it go?"

Rainbow Dash let out a snort, not looking up.

"I stared at her with my mouth open for what felt like an hour," she groaned. "When she finally tried to talk to me, all I was able to blurt out was 'I really like your mane.'"

"I am certain she appreciated it," Rarity stated.

"Yeah," Rainbow conceded, finally looking up. "She thanked me and adjusted it, then said she liked mine as well."

She slammed her head against the table again.

"Then, after an eternity of staring at each other, she tried to talk to me, and I just said it again."

Fluttershy moved closer, opening a wing and wrapping it around her friend.

"Well," Rarity stated, "optimistically, it's a start." She grinned.