• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 949 Views, 29 Comments

Shard: A Shining Visitor - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor comes to visit his sister after a break-up

  • ...
2
 29
 949

Food, Drink, and Entertainment

Shining Armor looked around at The Diamond's Gleam as he entered. It looked different than it had before. Not because the place had been rearranged or anything, everything was exactly where it was the when he had first seen it the day before -- at least, as far as he can tell. Everything seemed so different, however, because of all the ponies that were now there.

Numerous tables were filled by pairs or groups: some sitting around and chatting, others eating in silence, and a few looking up at the stage. Still more of them sat the bar, having drinks and chatting to others. The dance floor was empty, but that was no surprise since there was no music at the moment. Instead, two stallions in top hats and bow ties stood on stage, performing some sort of comedy routine.

"Shining Armor?" a voice asked, drawing his attention. A mare stood beside him, smiling gently.

"Nice to meet you," she said. "Miss Rarity asked me to show you to your table and be your waitress for this evening. If you follow me, please, I'll lead you to your table."

On stage, the pair of stallions were finishing up their performance. As they took their bows, Rarity came on stage, stamping her hooves firmly in approval. Smiling, she looked out across the audience as she walked toward the microphone. Her gaze focused on two particular ponies for a moment. One was Shining Armor, currently being led to the special table she had reserved. The other was a completely unrelated matter, one she had very entertaining plans for later.

"Thank you, gentlemen," she said clearly into the microphone. "That was a wonderful performance. I can't wait to see what you have to make us laugh next time. Speaking of wait, we have a special surprise performance planned for you later tonight. In the mean time, please enjoy some wonderful music by our band."

With that, the band behind her started playing. She turned and smiled at them before heading into the wings and down to the main floor. Moving among the tables, she spoke with several of customers to see how they were doing. A couple of words, a bit of laughter, and then on to the next one. Eventually she made her way to Shining Armor, who had just finished giving his order as she approached.

"Shining, darling," she said with a smile as she approached. "So glad you were able to make it. I know it has not been very long, but I do hope you're enjoying yourself."

"Well..." Shining Armor started, shifting slightly. "It's a little upsetting to see some of these other ponies here since it looks like they're on dates or something. Still, I appreciate the effort."

Looking around, Rarity mentally scolded herself. The fact that many of the ponies that come to her club were in groups -- most often as romantic pairs -- had not crossed her mind. Granted, it was entirely the case. There were a small number of individual ponies that came, such as the captain of the town guard. There were also pairs that were more about business deals than romantic interest, such as when Filthy Rich brings a potential investor with him. Then there were the groups of three, four, or even more, that were out just to have a good time with friends (although she knew that at least one of the trios was actually a group of three ponies all romantically involved with each other). Still, it still was mostly couples. Even if it were not the case, it would be what Shining Armor would notice first in light of recent less than romantic events.

"Perhaps I had not thought this through as well as I should have," Rarity admitted. "Be that as it may, I am still hopeful that you will have an excellent time and enjoy yourself. Silver Server is a wonderful waitress and will see to all of your dining needs."

She considered adding "and more if you play your cards right," with a wink and a smirk, but in light of her friend's interest in the stallion, thought better of it.

"If there's any trouble," she said instead, "just let me know and I'll be sure to take care of it."

"Thanks," Shining Armor said, smiling.

Rarity smiled back and gave a wave of her hoof.

"Think nothing of it. Twilight and Fluttershy are both good friends of mine." Her smile faded as she looked down at the table. "Besides, I know how it can feel to have a hopeful relationship turn out rather poorly..."

"...Rarity..."

Before Shining Armor could say any more, he was cut off by a hoof being held up.

"I appreciate the pending offer," she told him, "but there is nothing to speak of. Besides, it is long past." With that, she turned around, and walked off.

Shining Armor watched her go, stopping to speak with his waitress for a second. His curiosity had been piqued. What had happened to that mare that made her react so? It was something he might ask about another time. That was, assuming he remembered it when he saw her on some other visit.

The question was put aside as Silver Server arrived with his drink and appetizer, letting him know that his meal would be ready shortly. After thanking her, he turned his attention to the battered edamame and began to eat one of them. He closed his eyes, enjoying the taste in his mouth and listening to the music in the air.

The time from appetizer to main course passed peacefully for Shining Armor. The food was good -- not what others would call home made, but delicious all the same -- and the music and occasional stand up was entertaining. It was nice. Unfortunately, he could not fully enjoy it. As much as he liked it all, it felt like something that should be done with other ponies. As much as he was enjoying the food, music, and atmosphere of it all, it was lacking because he had nopony with him to talk to.

Rarity, meanwhile, was making certain to keep busy and that everything was running as smoothly as possible. She assisted Shaker at the bar and checked on the stock of liquor. In the kitchen, she checked on the preparation and made sure the cooks were mostly happy (it was difficult to be completely in a good mood when working hard in such a warm confined area). Several times, Rarity would stop a waiter or waitress and check to see how they or their customers were doing.

When Coco Pommel started to approach, Rarity perked up. Giving the mare her full attention, she raised one eyebrow curiously, one of her ears giving a small flicker.

"I believe that it is about the time you wanted," Coco stated. "She's mostly done eating, just like you told me to look for."

"Wonderful," Rarity said with a grin. Leaving her place from behind the bar, she quickly made her way toward the stage. A grin spread across her face and she worked her way forward, weaving between the tables with practiced ease. As she approached, the band started to wind down their latest song, finishing up just as Rarity stepped up to the microphone.

"Attention please, everypony," she called out, getting the audience's attention. "Thank you. I mentioned earlier that I had a special surprised planned for everypony, and I believe the time has come to share it. Would Captain Lyra Hearstrings come up to the stage please?"

A spotlight came on, the beam striking the table where a mint green unicorn sat. Lyra Hearstrings squinted at the blinding white light, trying to see. A part of her was curious as to what Rarity was planning. Another, larger, part was already trying to figure out a way to try and make the mare pay for whatever was about to happen. Despite some uncertainty, Lyra got up and headed for the stage.

"Let's encourage her with a round of applause," Rarity said, stamping her own hooves. She was soon joined by others in the audience doing the same.

The sound made Lyra smile and straighten up. It had been a while since she had heard the approval of an audience. She still practiced regularly, and played her lyre, but it had been a while since she had actually done a performance for an actual audience. Usually if there were any ponies around to hear her perform properly (and not just fiddling around like she did in her office pretty regularly), it was friends or family. It made her realize that she kind of missed it.

Stepping up onto the stage, she stood by Rarity and smiled out at the audience, waving one hoof at them.

"Many of us know Miss Heartstrings as captain of the town guard," Rarity stated clearly to the audience, "and a few of us have heard her playing music, even if we have never gotten an opportunity for a proper performance."

Lyra tensed, feeling a pit of worry form in her stomach. Was she going to be forced to perform? She had no song ready and her lyre was at home.

"Well it turns out," Rarity continued, "That Miss Heartstrings is far more talented than that. Recently, we discovered that back in school, Lyra wrote and performed in a musical that ended up becoming quite popular."

Oh no! Lyra mentally groaned. Her jaw clenched tighter as she felt her nervousness skyrocket. She tried to keep looking friendly, to get the audience to believe that she was smiling. Meanwhile, she was plotting to kill Rarity. Slowly.

"We have managed to find one of the more -- if not the most -- popular song from that. I'm sure that we would all love to hear her perform it, wouldn't we?"

A roar of agreement and the stamping of hooves came from the audience. Lyra moved closer to Rarity, turning her attention the other mare.

"You are so going to pay for this," Lyra growled between clenched teeth.

"Well then," Rarity replied with a smile of her own, "I hope that you make it worth my while. You really do need to get out and perform more often." She gave Lyra a gentle pat on the shoulder, then moved away and walked off the stage.

Taking a deep breath, Lyra tried to calm down and collect herself. No reason to lie to herself. She was angry -- furious -- with Rarity for pulling this stunt. At the same time, she was... excited. It had been a while since she performed, and was looking forward to doing so again. Preferably, the entire musical would be forgotten and nopony would ever mention it again. She did still remember most of the lyrics for the songs, and she knew she remembered them all for the one Rarity had in mind (if she guessed right). All the same, it was still something she would prefer to forget.

Feeling collected and having the first line in mind, she turned her attention to the band and nodded. Returning the motion, they began to play and she prepared to sing.

Finishing the song, she took a deep breath and gave a bow. It had gone better than she could have imagined. Not only did she remember all of the lyrics, but turned out she still knew the dance moves that had gone along with it. It also seemed that the audience had enjoyed it quite a bit as well. The shouts of excitement and stomping of hooves was nearly deafening.

Maybe she would let Rarity live after all, if only to keep the club open so she could come back and perform again. Willingly.

"Thank you," she called out to the audience. "Thank you." She gave one last bow then hopped off the stage, making her way back toward her table. The applause made her feel like celebrating. Maybe she would stay long enough to order dessert and have another drink.

As she sat down, movement caught her eye. Turning to look, she caught sight of a white unicorn stallion with two-tone blue mane walking toward her.

"That was a really impressive performance you gave up there," he said, smiling.

"Thanks," she responded, not sure what else to say. Fortunately, the stallion kept her from needing to by changing the subject.

"So, did I hear that right?" he asked. "You're the captain of Ponyville's guard?"