• Published 5th Oct 2014
  • 809 Views, 11 Comments

Come, Fly with me - Tofazz



Time remains unchanging. However, it always changes us. Carefree foalhoods become teenage years, and in the end those years are all but gone. Friends change as they grow; sometimes it’s for the better, sometimes for the worse.

  • ...
0
 11
 809

The Time I saw you Again

She stopped in her path, catching herself touching her cheek, smiling at the thought of how it was done. Back then she didn’t think much more of it, but now it meant so much more for her. Perhaps it was the first step Savant dared to take, one he perhaps wanted to take at the prom, but didn’t dare because she was so flustered over her mane. Or perhaps it was just something he wanted to do for no reason? She did take a mental note to ask him that once she arrived where they had agreed.

It was odd to her, how this event did unwind itself. Just a week ago all she wanted was to see her dear old friend again, one that had been away from her for so long. How could she have known that he had grown so much in those years? He was still Savant though, still the caring smile, still the thoughtful nature that was him. She snickered, and still the only pegasus with a fear of heights.

She stopped, seeing the restaurant rise up in the distance. Seeing now that it was one of the fancier ones in the town, it even had its own personnel to take care of any coat the guests might have. Through the window she saw how candles upon each table danced with the small winds coming through. It was also rather full, seemingly each single table was occupied, except the one Savant had ordered she figured. Taking a deep breath, she untied the gown, letting it fall down behind her. Blood rushed to her cheeks and ears, and her heart beat in a heavy rhythm. Summoning her courage she began to walk forward, each step feeling odd.

At the entrance she saw the form of Savant, waiting patiently for her in the dusk that fell outside the lamps from the restaurant. As she approached the entrance, he turned towards her, eyes locking onto her, making her freeze, but his gentle smile thawed her. As he hugged her, her smile matched his.

*~*~*~*~*

Around her the porch buzzled with life, ponies wandering home from the train, or ponies waiting to board as it emptied. From above it must have seemed like an ant hill of life, and the loud buzz of incoherent voices rang high. Every now and then the sound of the flute signaling the arrival of new trains broke through, and each time it made ponies waiting turn to the plate which showed where the trains came from.

Doodle tried to collect her thoughts in the midst of it, but failed to do so. Her heart beat furiously in her chest and she clutched tightly to the locket she brought with her. Each time the flute sounded, she looked around a little more, before turning her nose to the block of paper again when the train she sought didn’t show.

She finally put away the paper and opened the locket, smiling for herself as she inspected the drawing folded neatly inside of it. How long had it been now? Four years? She wasn’t really sure exactly, but it had been too long. Her mane had even grown out properly, longer than it ever had been, now she needed to tie it up in a bun to stop it from swabbing the floor as she walked.

Once more the flute sounded the arrival of a train, this time, she put the locket and block of paper down in her bags and began to push forward. The hour was right, so was the number, all she needed to do was to find a suitable spot to wait. She slinked between the crowd moving against her, the amount of ponies overwhelmed her slightly, but she managed to keep her eyes focused on an open space near the train arrival station. It was like a small island in the midst of a raging sea, where the winds of a storm calmed to a thoughtful breeze.

She stood patiently, watching as ponies emerged from the train. Every now and then she jumped up slightly to get a better view, almost everyone around were a head taller than her, she did so in hopes to see the wonderful silver mane of Savant. Not many had that kind of mane, so he would be easy to spot. As time went on and the train became more and more empty, her spirit dwindled slightly, could he have been delayed back home? Or had she just missed him?

The last pony left the paddock, leaving her alone again. She looked one last time at the locket she had in her bag and sighed; surely there must be a good reason? She thought.

“It’s great seeing you again, Doodles.”

Doodle’s heart skipped a beat, the voice was as she remembered; soft and calm, yet still masculine. She quickly pulled her gaze from the locket and turned to find the source of the voice, a wide smile split her lips as she saw the black pegasus standing in front of her. The ice blue eyes looked at her warmly, as they always had. His mane was just as she remembered, a silver gray color, half long and disorganized. He was still slim, but something had changed. Although still a kind face, he had a handsome jawline, followed by a muscular neck. He had grown from a foal to a handsome stallion.

“Savant!” She squeaked after a while, Still somewhat awestruck, she jumped forward and embraced him like she had done when they said their goodbyes.

It was still the same welcoming warmth that greeted her, which was taciturnly returned on her approach; just as before. As he responded this time though, she felt how her cheeks heated up slightly, and her pulse responded in fashion. She cared little to ponder upon what these things meant, right now she just wanted to hold her long gone friend till the very end. He, as well, seemed to fall into that train of thought. For soon there was another hoof around her, pulling her even closer in the embrace, squeezing her tightly.