• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 686 Views, 8 Comments

Magic of Memory - TangledHeart



Twilight loses her memory in an accident, Rainbow Dash blames herself.

  • ...
1
 8
 686

Chapter Three

A few days later, filled with kind wishes from friends, Twilight was released from the hospital, her injuries having mostly healed.

"But," The doctor advised as she left "Still be careful. Keep flying and magic to a minimum."

"I will." She nodded. "Thank you so much for everything."

"You're quite welcome. And here's hoping I won't have to see you here again anytime soon."

"Agreed." Twilight gave one last wave, and followed the directions Rarity had given her to get to her -she could hardly believe this- castle, where she apparently lived. She arrived without trouble, and walked inside, to be greeted with a chipper, "Hoo." Twilight turned to see the source of the sound: a small forest owl, perched on a short hat rack.

"That's a good question," She replied. "Who are you?"

"Hoo?" the owl repeated.

"You." Twilight arched an eyebrow. "Who are you?"

"Hoo?" The owl said once again.

"You!" She was getting frustrated. At that moment, a small, purple dragon walked up and tapped Twilight on the shoulder.

"Trust me," He advised. "You won't get very far with this guy."

Twilight turned to face him. "Oh, hi, Spike! I haven't seen you since you visited me that one day."

"Yeah," Spike said regretfully. "Sorry about that. I've been pretty busy, keeping track of everything here."

"It's fine." She turned back to the owl. "So, who's this?"

"Oh, that's Owlicious, your pet-slash-second-assistant."

"Second assistant?"

"Yeah. Not long after you moved here, you got bogged down with work, even into the night. Owlicious came along to be able to help you when I can't."

"Oh, I see." She smiled awkwardly. "Hi there, Owlicious..."

"Hoo!" The owl responded happily to his name. Twilight shyly chuckled. Then, she turned back to Spike.

"Spike, can you help me unpack my saddle bag?"

"Of course!"

Twilight got settled, and began to write to her parents and the princess, as she had promised. She was about finished, when she heard a knock at the door. She went downstairs to admit Pinkie Pie.

"Hi," She greeted. "It's… Pinkie Pie, right?" While she had gotten reacquainted with her friends while she was in the hospital, there was still a huge void where Twilight's memories of them should have been.

"Yep!" Pinkie Pie replied. "Say, you're getting good at recognizing our faces again!"

"Yep." Twilight smiled and looked behind Pinkie. "You came alone? N-not that I'm disappointed to see you!"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I was almost expecting a surprise party. You know, like the one you threw for me when I first came to Ponyville?"

"You remember that?"

"Yeah. I have a few faint memories. Funny thing is, I remember that I was annoyed by the party. Looking back, I can't imagine why I didn't stay for it. It seemed like it would have been fun! Which is weird, because usually I'm not very social. At least, from what I remember."

"I was tempted to throw you a surprise 'glad your back from the hospital' party, but the others thought it might be a bit overwhelming for you. But…" Pinkie Pie scratched her chin, then gasped. "I gotta go! See you soon, Twilight!" And she ran off.

Wonder what she's up to, Twilight wondered. She shrugged it off as being typical Pinkie behavior (from what she could tell) and returned to her letters.

Meanwhile, at Sugar Cube Corner, Pinkie had gathered her friends in her apartment. Everyone was circled together, except for Rainbow Dash, who chose to sulk in the corner of the room, distantly staring out a window.

"So," Applejack started. "We're here. Now, what's this all about?"

"Well," Pinkie explained. "Remember the 'Welcome to Ponyville Party' I threw for Twilight all that time ago?"

"You mean the one she ditched?" AJ asked.

"Yeah, that one!" Pinkie nodded, eyes and smile wide.

"What about it?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I went to talk to Twilight earlier, and she said that she remembers that, too, and wishes she had stayed!"

"But I thought she didn't remember being social," Fluttershy commented.

"Her brain may not remember who she is, but her heart still does!" She stamped one hoof down in determination. "Our friend and princess is still in there. I can tell. And, because of that, I had the idea to throw her a second 'Welcome to Ponyville' party! So she can experience what she missed, and maybe jog her memory! It's like a second chance for her to get to know us!"

"It sounds wonderful, darling," Rarity commented. "But…"

"Are you sure that re-introducing her to the entire town all at once is the best idea right now?" Fluttershy asked.

"Definitely! She said she almost expected a party when I came over. Plus, several of the townsfolk already reacquainted themselves with Twilight while she was still in the hospital. It'll be fine, and fun! And, I promise to tone things down." Pinkie did the motions for a Pinkie promise.

"In that case," Applejack said. "Let's do it! I'll help with the food."

"And I'll gather some streamers and other decorations!" Rarity offered.

Everyone chattered excitedly about the party. Everyone except Rainbow Dash, that is.

This will probably be the first Pinkie Party ever that I have not attended, She thought. But I can't see Twilight, not until she is more like herself, and could possibly remember me in the right way, and forgive me…