• Published 29th Sep 2014
  • 2,866 Views, 125 Comments

Fluttershy’s Pokémon Adventure - ShadowFirePon3



Sometimes, to break out of your shell, you just need to go on a little adventure.

  • ...
4
 125
 2,866

Chapter 6: A Dose of Reality

As Fluttershy made her way through Viridian and towards the Pokémon center, she felt as though in a dream. Which, considering that she had to go to sleep to come to this world, could very well have been the case. All day she had met wonderful humans and seen extraordinary new animals. Progressively, she had even began to stop feeling shy or socially awkward at all. This dream mentality had made her uncharacteristically unafraid. The humans that she walked by on the streets didn’t feel to her as though the ponies of Equestria did. She didn’t feel as though their gaze was upon her or that they were judging her. She practically was skipping down the road with a smile on her face.

As she came nearer to the Center, she marveled at how massive it was. That, as well as the fact that it was the most unique building in Viridian. All around the city were uniform white high-rises, but the Pokémon center was a large half dome with a smaller red glass dome that served as the entrance hall. The architecture was unlike anything Fluttershy had seen before, as though the only point of its design was to be different. Or maybe all Pokémon centers are meant to be that way. She kept admiring the unique structure all the way through the front entrance and to the front counter.

“Hello and welcome to the Pokémon center.” Said the Nurse Joy from behind the counter. “How can we help you today?”

Fluttershy smiled. She had just met another really nice human today. Nurse Joy had a really warm smile and a genuinely welcoming voice. “I’m just passing through Viridian and I thought that I should get my Pokémon looked at while I was here.” She said, placing Bulbasaur and Pidgey’s Pokéballs on the counter.

“It’s good to see that you are making sure to visit the Pokémon center, even if it’s nothing serious. Be sure to keep that up on your journey.” Nurse Joy said, taking the Pokéballs and setting them on a tray. “This should only take a few minutes. Why don’t you have a seat while we take care of your Pokémon?” She finished, gesturing to the waiting area.

Looking over to the waiting area, Fluttershy noticed the call phones that the professor talked about. “Actually, would it be all right if I made a call first?”

Nurse Joy giggled to herself. “That’s what they’re there for. Go right ahead.”

With that, Nurse Joy took the tray back to the checkup room and left Fluttershy to her own devices. Fluttershy took out her Pokédex and sat down at one of the call phones. She picked up the phone off of the receiver and pressed the contact button on her Pokédex, then typed in the numbers listed under Professor Oak’s name.

The phone began to ring and Fluttershy waited. Then suddenly the screen came to life and showed Professor Oak as he said, “Hello.”

Fluttershy nearly jumped, since she didn’t expect to see the Professor, just hear him through the speaker in the phone like he had explained. “Hello Professor.” Fluttershy nervously said.

“Ah, Fauna. Looks as though you’ve made it to Viridian already, and with little trouble it seems. Good job.” Oak smiled.

“Thank you Professor. It looks like Gary and Damian have already been here as well.” Fluttershy blushed for being praised.

“Really? Well, you’re the first to have called me. Oh well, it doesn’t matter much. If they’ve already been there, then there shouldn’t be anything to worry about. Ash unfortunately had to leave just before that big electrical storm. I hope the boy is ok.” Oak said, scratching his chin.

“Oh yes, that was scary.” Fluttershy said. “I had only just gotten into Viridian when the lightning started. Oh, and I caught a Pidgey on my way here.”

Oak clapped his hands together. “That’s wonderful news. After seeing you in action in that match against my grandson, I knew that you were going to be great with your Pokémon. And Pidgey are an excellent fist catch for beginning trainers.”

“And it was Pidgey who pushed me to Viridian before the lightning started.” Fluttershy added.

“Ah yes.” Oak nodded. “Pokémon are far more attuned to nature than we humans are. Trust in your Pokémon’s senses.” Fluttershy nodded back. “Well then, I should be returning to work. But do call again when you reach the next town. Be sure to stay safe and have fun out there Fauna.”

“I will, Professor. Thank you.” Fluttershy said, waving to the screen as it clicked off. She hung up the phone and giggled for a moment, thinking in her head, “Twilight would have a field day figuring out all of these devices that the humans have made.” Then she thought, “She probably would have in Canterlot high if there weren’t more important things for her to do.”

She went over to the waiting area and sat down, passing the next couple of minutes thinking about the day that she’s had so far and how great this world was. She felt as though humans were much different from ponies and maybe that’s why she didn’t feel afraid in this world. Truly, in such a wondrous place with such happy and warm people, a place with such unique in interesting creatures as Pokémon, there couldn’t be any bullies, any terrifying evils threatening the world. Everyone is so kind.

“Thank you for waiting. You’re Pokémon are fighting fit.” Nurse Joy said, waking Fluttershy from her thoughts.

“Thank you so much.” Fluttershy said, walking up to the counter and taking her Pokéballs.

“My pleasure.” Nurse Joy smiled. “Be sure to come back anytime.”

And with that, Fluttershy left the Center and continued walking north, through Viridian. She continued thinking about how wonderful this place was, skipping along to the thought that she was in a place with no faults. But then something made her stop dead in her tracks. There was so much to take in throughout the day that it had nearly brushed passed her completely. She remembered what officer Jenny had said that hadn’t even registered until now.

Jenny’s words came back to her and ran through her head like a ton of bricks, “Not that I ever suspected you of anything, but sorry for the third degree. Watch out though Fauna. There’ve been reports of Pokémon thieves in the area.”

“Pokémon thieves?” Fluttershy thought. “That just couldn’t be. How could this perfect world have something like that?”

Suddenly, Fluttershy could hear the laughing of children. She looked up the street to see a little playground, where in there was a group of kids picking on a little girl and her brother standing between them. She saw herself, Rainbow and the bullies of her foalhood in that playground chanting their taunt. ‘~Fluttershy, Fluttershy, Fluttershy can hardly fly.~’ She stepped backwards, breaking out in a cold sweat as though she was seeing the most horrifying thing imaginable unfold before her. Parents came and broke up the bullies, but then they started bickering amongst themselves. Add to it the siren that Fluttershy could faintly hear in the distance, letting everyone know that someone was breaking the law and that the police force was on it. Suddenly this glowing utopia that she had made this world out to be was crumbling before her. The veil was lifting and it became more apparent with every passing second that humans were no different from ponies. They looked different, but they were the same. There are good ones and there are bad ones, and as Fluttershy looked around at all of the faces in Viridian, the fog of her dream mind set clearing, she couldn’t tell anymore which one the people around her were. She started cowering into herself and hyperventilating until she just couldn’t take it anymore and broke off running as fast as she could to get away from the city. Every human face she saw, now looked to her as though another pair of judgmental eyes and she needed to get away from it all.

…………………………………………………………………………………….

The sun had begun to set and the sky was filled with the colors of twilight reflecting off of the clouds. Fluttershy had set up camp in the Viridian forest, far off of the beaten path, so as to avoid people passing through. She was sitting up against a tree with her knees hugged tight against her chest.

“I haven’t had a panic attack that bad since the Ponytones fiasco,” she said, nearly crying to herself.

“Bulba?” Bulbasaur said, nudging her hand with his nose.

Fluttershy patted Bulbasaur’s head and started thinking out loud. “Usually, I can’t handle being in front of others, but today felt different for the longest time. I mean, I don’t doubt that the Professor and Gary, Misty, officer Jenny and Nurse Joy were nice people, but I was such a feather brain and got swept up in everything that’s happened today, I didn’t even notice how similar everyone is to the people that I’m used to being around. It’s great that I wasn’t shy and afraid all that time, but that just made it worse when I realized that this isn’t all just some perfect dream.”

“It’s not quite a dream at all,” came a familiar voice.

“Who’s there?” Fluttershy squeaked and stood up, to Bulbasaur’s confusion.

From behind her, Fluttershy could hear hoofsteps, yet for some reason Bulbasaur didn’t seem to notice.

“Well, it tis and it isn’t. And, you know me dear Fluttershy.” The voice said.

Fluttershy turned around and was awestruck to see none other than Princess Luna standing before her in all her mystifying glory.

Fluttershy rubbed her eyes to make sure they were not deceiving her. “How are you here, Princess?” she said, unsure if she should believe this vision.

Bulbasaur looked to where Fluttershy was gazing and saw nothing. Then looked up at Fluttershy and wondered if she was ok.

“This may be a world outside of our own, but it is, at the same time, your dream.” Luna said, looking over Fluttershy. “However, I must confess that I have never seen a human before. I haven’t been needed in Twilight or Spike’s dreams as of yet, and theirs are the only Equestrian eyes that have seen such things. This form you now take is rather, intriguing.” Luna looked down at Bulbasaur with equal intrigue but held it back to point out, “Though I may only appear before your eyes in this world, as you are the only one here who is dreaming from our own.”

Fluttershy looked down at Bulbasaur and nervously said, “How about we get some sleep?” While placing Bulbasaur’s ball down for him to go in. Bulbasaur was reluctant to leave Fluttershy alone, but decided that she may just need to sleep and went into his ball. Fluttershy then turned back to Luna. “So, what brings you here?” she asked meekly.

“I could tell that your dream, or rather your experience in this reality had turned into a nightmare for a time. Is everything alright? Furthermore, what are you doing in another world such as this?” Luna said with a curious look.

“I wanted to go on an adventure, like Twilight had, and Discord helped me get here. When I go to sleep here, I’ll wake up back in Equestria.” Fluttershy said, sitting back down.

“That would explain this dream that tis not a dream. And is everything alright here?” Luna said, placing a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder as everypony seems to feel the need to lately.

“I just realized how similar humans are to us.” Fluttershy said, curling up her legs against her chest again. “This morning, I was really shy, as usual. But as the day went on, I kept meeting such wonderful and kind people. I started to think that it was just the way this world is, and I felt great being in that sort of world, where I didn’t have to worry about my childhood trauma of being bullied and picked on. I didn’t think I would have to worry about villains and monsters, but it turns out that I probably do, I just haven’t met them yet.”

“I must apologize to you, dear Fluttershy.” Luna said, to Fluttershy’s surprise. “Had I not turned into Nightmare Moon, I would have been there in yours and many other pony’s nightmares throughout the years, helping them to overcome them and not let things such as trauma at foalhood fester for so long. My sister could raise the moon, but could not protect the dreams of our subjects. Thus, neither she nor I could have been there for you when these things were happening. As it stands now, your fears and torments are rooted too deep, and I cannot help with a simple intervention.”

Fluttershy chimed in, “You don’t have to apologize for that. And, I’m getting better, thanks to my friends. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t have even had the courage to start this journey.”

Luna looked at Fluttershy with remorse in her eyes. “It is not just you, but many ponies who needed me in my absence. However, if you are determined to make this journey, as I suspect you are, feel free to call on me if you feel the need to talk. I do not believe that today will be the only time that you will encounter such an instance. And, as while you are here, you are also dreaming, I can be there for you when you need of me.”

“Thank you, Princess.” Fluttershy said to Luna, who had already disappeared.

Curling up in her sleeping bag, Fluttershy thought about what her next time in this world would bring. Aside from her little episode, today was a great day. But the next time would definitely be a different experience. She wouldn’t be able to look at humans the same way as today. They would be no different from the ponies of Equestria. At least she knew that she could handle being in public, however interacting with them will be different. She racked her brain over this until she finally went to sleep, waking up back in Equestria.

Author's Note:

This chapter may end up making or breaking her first day in the story. I'll leave that for you all to decide.