• Published 28th Sep 2014
  • 361 Views, 9 Comments

Humble Beginnings: A Prequel - DarkWingsGirl



Taking advantage of the Night Princess' defeat, a young changeling queen leads the remaining members of her hive into Canterlot.

  • ...
 9
 361

Everything You'll Ever Want to Know About: Changelings

For Luna,
May you always be curious.
Before one can evaluate the changelings, they must understand them. Their unique anatomy and intricate political hierarchy have baffled and intrigued the lucky few who are aware of their existence. Let us start with correcting a common misunderstanding. Changelings have free will. They are capable of choosing their fate. I will go into more detail later on. Changelings reside in Hives, each one having a separate government and society, allowing for a little variation. There have been/are 5 Hives recorded, as far as this scholar is aware. Due to their secretive nature, little is known about their history, and few dare to force information from them. As it stands, there could be hundreds of hives unknown to the world. The ones we do know, however, have names. There is only one physical hive in Equestria, called Guillera. Since it’s construction, it has housed two completely different groups of changelings, with about 500 years in between them. That hive’s history would take a whole other book to cover, so I will conclude my description in clarifying that the two groups housed within the structure are being counted as two entirely different hives, as that is what they are. The other three are located in the Griffon (Bellatorem), Crystal (Venustas), and Dragon Empires (Anguis), each founded thousands of years ago, and still functional today. It is estimated that there are roughly one million changelings in the world as of the year 10 of the Age of Magic. Their political systems operate very much like a machine, and do not vary from hive to hive. They all operate on the same semi-democratic matriarchy, with the Queen and her advisors (Each hive has a different term for this group) having almost absolute power. However, each group in the hive has a representative that uses the groups mental connection to represent its comrades better than any known democracy to date. This group meets along with the Queen and her advisors every time a decision that will affect the groups as a whole is made. If an issue only affects some groups, or even just one, the Queen will always call the affected parties to a meeting, where their vote is as important as the Queen’s. If I can just take a minute here to admire/praise their political system, I must say it’s quite possibly the fairest in the world. Even the Royal Sisters cannot achieve such fairness, although their kingdom is much larger than a changeling hive. The hives usually share characteristics with the natives of their hive’s location, making the hives biologically diverse. This is to ensure that they are able to imitate the residents of their country. In this examination, we will be discussing the Equestrian branch of changeling only. With that, we must move on to their anatomy.

Changeling anatomy has remained exactly the same throughout time. The first changeling Queen looked exactly like the five present day Queens. However, not all changelings look the same. In fact, three types (Queen, advisor, and drone) have different scientific names. Drones, or novo operarius, vary from group to group, but they all share basic characteristics. There are 20 drones within each group, and anywhere from 5 to 50 groups in a hive. The average drone is about 3 ft high, covered in a hard shell-like material that can handle around 350 lbs of pressure before it cracks. They can have thin translucent wings, although this trait is typically only found in a third of the groups. The same goes for horns, typically a little longer than the average unicorn's, and the rest have neither. This seems to emulate the pony groups, with each variation sporting similar features, and as such, tend to have better success in transforming into their pony counterparts. Their shape shifting ability is the only skill we know of that every type of drone in every group has as soon as they hatch, with the exact same power, no matter the group. Therefore, they share the same limitations. The one that this author finds most interesting is their limitation of speech. While even the least talented drone can perfectly imitate any pony they see, this imitation only extends to outward appearances. Their chitin can shift, expand, change shape, and even sprout fur, but they cannot alter whatever they use to speak (the scientific community has yet to procure an adequate specimen for study, so most of the inner workings of changelings are unknown), and therefore have to be taught how to imitate voices, unless they have an… intimate knowledge of the inside of the pony their copying. This is generally frowned upon. Because of this limitation, most changelings never leave the hive. The functionality of drones has a profound effect on their life cycle. In a phenomena that has completely baffled the scientific community, every single Matrem drone in the hive will lay her eggs at the same time, and the younglings will mature at the same rate, physically. The laying of eggs is commonly celebrated as a holiday within the hive, as most changeling holidays are centered around their stages of life which are as follows:
Egg-There are exactly 20 changeling eggs in a laying. 15 of those eggs house the group’s next Operari, while 5 house the next specialized drones. This is the stage where their connections to the hive are formed. It begins with the Matrem forging their connection to the group. This typically occurs 2 weeks before they are actually lain, and as I understand requires no conscious effort from the Matrem. She then spends 3 months teaching them the changeling’s language (which is oddly similar to Zebrican, and spoken in all the hives, possibly suggesting the species originated there, even though there are no known hives in the region) through their mental connection to their group while they continue to develop. Then begins the changeling holiday of Familia, in which their group’s representative drone is responsible for connecting them to the hive mind, and the Queen must visit every single egg in the hive to pull all the connections together, giving her the ability to command the next generation as swiftly and safely as possible. Not much is known about the celebrations, and most “information” is merely speculation or rumor, which does not merit even this little bit of recognition.
Larvae-Eggs hatch roughly around 6 months after being lain. During this stage, the young changelings begin to learn the basics of their group’s purpose, as well as magic. Providors usually teach the 15 Operari larvae and the Providor larvae. The other 4 larvae are taught by their elder counterparts. They are considered Larvae until 10 years after their hatching, an occasion marked by their chitin gaining the trademark changeling holes.
Pupae-Their training continues, and becomes much more advanced. This is when they begin to learn how to imitate voices (which I’ve been told is extremely comedic), and the Equestrian language. This goes on for another 10 years, until their second set of fangs comes in.
Drone-Finally, fully matured and ready to take on the responsibilities of their Elders, whom have served dutifully for 40 years, retire to a much needed rest in the care of a group entirely devoted to them. Not a bad life, eh?

Thus we begin discussing the differences among drones. As previously stated, there are 20 Drones in each group. 15 of these drones are exactly the same as the ones in their group. Changelings actually use the same language that scientists use when naming a species, so the 15 drones are commonly called Operarius drones. Between groups, there is usually little variance between the average Operari. The 5 specialized drones, however, are completely different within the group, even from each other. Alternatively, each group has the exact same drones, with little to no variance.
The 6 types of drones function as followed:
Matrem drones (Novo Matrem) are solely devoted to reproduction. They are also charged with caring for its eggs, which, while seemingly simple, is actually one of the most intricate processes in any group. All drones we have recorded are agender, and most tend to be asexual, although this is a personal choice, not biological. Matrem drones reproduce asexually, with a gestation time of around a year. As stated earlier, the Matrem is in charge of the eggs' every need, the most vital of which is forging each eggs' connection to the group. The Matrem relinquishes responsibility of the eggs one week before hatching.
Providor drones (Novo Providor) then care for the younglings until they mature completely. Providors are, to put it simply, the teachers of the changeling children. As stated earlier they teach the 15 Operari and Providor larvae and pupae the basics and advanced skills needed to complete their birth assigned assignments. They also provide counsel, care, and comfort to all 20 larvae or pupae within her group. Although I should note that the 4 specialized drones can choose to take over the instruction and care of their successor, and this happens quite often apparently.
Reddo drones (Novo Reddo) are the representatives of each group, and are responsible for intimately knowing every drone, larvae, pupae, and egg in their group. They are usually the most proficient of their generation, with a natural ability in both magic and academic endeavors overall. There are no known cases of Reddo drones choosing to leave the Hive of change position.
Venator drones (Novo Venator) are responsible for gathering love for its group. This is without a doubt the most dangerous occupation a changeling can have. Understandably, at least one changeling request a change every generation. These changelings are almost always sent on a long term assignment. They build families within the community they choose, make friends, and generally live life as a pony. Since they do not live within the hive, their successors usually go to live with them. As a result, they tend to form homosexual relationships, or claim infertility. Venator drones are always instructed in pony anatomy, so as to be able to
Nutrire drones (Novo Nutrire) take the love the Venators bring and turn it into nectar, which is a sort of ambrosia to them. All changelings typically only need 1/3 of a cup a week, depending on the amount of magic that is used. Nutri make sure every drone in the group is healthy, forever adjusting their rations.
Operarius drones (Novo Operarius) do the hard labor of the hive, and tend to be much more vigorous and occasionally abrasive. The Operari can be called upon in times of crisis to protect the hive.

At this point I can return to the subject of a changeling’s will. While the 20 drones are born and raised within their group, they are allowed to choose. This is understandably rare, as most changelings have a deep love and loyalty to their group. A pupae is given the choice of changing their group before the beginning of their advanced training, and again after becoming a fully matured drone. They are also given the option of leaving the Hive, although this is a much more difficult process (and much rarer). In order to leave the Hive, the drone must pass an exam of their magical abilities, and then undergo extensive training in the ways of the country they live in, as well as magical training if they didn’t meet the qualifications of the exam in order to be admitted leave. This process is carried out by the Queen herself, as leaving is actually considered to be an act of bravery and courage. There is usually a ceremony held for the departing drone, that supposedly rivals the Grand Galloping Gala of Equestria and lasts for an entire week.
Now, we move on to the 5 changelings in the hive. The Queen and her advisors. I have yet to state the name of the advisor group, for one reason. As I said earlier, there have been two hives recorded in Guillera. The most recent hive was in fact Queen Chrysalis’, which was disbanded after her defeat in Canterlot. She ironically dubbed her advisors her Royal Guard. The second was a hive as ancient as Celestia herself, which fell only two years after Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon was banished. It’s speculated that most of the hive starved as a result of Nightmare Moon’s rebellion killing the Venators of the hive. It is said that its Queen and her First Branch survived but no records exist to back the rumor up.
Each advisor group consists of 4 changelings (I do not believe they belong under the same classification as drones) with unique abilities that are passed on from their successor. These abilities do not differ within the hive, but each hive’s advisors are different. The First Branch’s advisors were ranked, an odd but understandable arrangement as the Leader (Novo Dux) had the most magical prowess and the extraordinary ability to replace the Queen in the event of her and her successor’s deaths, or the extremely rare case of a Queen that endangered the hive. This trait would have been useful in Chrysalis’ hive, however only the First Branch could do it as far as we know. Next in rank was the Laetita (Novo Laetita) who, through processes which I don’t even understand, can reproduce with any species and was able to imitate voices and languages. The First Branch as a whole, could reproduce with ponies through.. ahem “traditional” means. Ironically, they cannot reproduce with each other. 3rd in rank (and in my heart) is the Empathia (Novo Empathia) who was able to manipulate emotion. However, he could not force anyone to love him. Because of their sensitivity to emotion, Empathi make up almost the entirety of Guillera’s arts. Be it painting, literature, sculpting… The Queen’s chambers are filled with murals, statues, even furniture made by past Empathi. The most brilliant thing about them, are that they look exactly the same as the day were made. It’s speculated that the Empathi poured so much of their unique magic into their works that it made them immortal. And finally, the Vates (Novo Vates) were gifted with dreams that told of the future. They were usually quiet souls although their temper was legendary. Most of the Vates’ were absent minded or easily distracted. Besides that, not much else is known.
There are no records of Chrysalis’ Royal Guards, and my sole attempt to pry any information other than their name from her caused her to ignore me for an entire year.
This concludes our time together, may you cherish this information as much as I.


Yours truly,
Gentle Listener

Author's Note:

Welp, it's 11:30 and I have school in the morning. Hope you enjoy this.