• Published 15th Sep 2014
  • 724 Views, 36 Comments

More than a Storybook - balletdivagirl



Storybook didn't have any questions about her past, but some of the answers are coming to find her anyway!

  • ...
1
 36
 724

Stalliongrad

The pink train puffed eastward through the tall mountains that spread through the center of Equestria. The destination still lay two days ahead, Canterlot already a day behind. The rising mountains bore the hues of fall up to their snow-capped peaks.
Story sat on a seat near the window and alternately studied the foliage and the journal Twilight had given her to study. The Ancient unicorn was simple, but Story found herself reading the same page over and over again. Anything to not be studying the big blue stallion two seats over. There were a thousand reasons she needed to stay focused, but Blaze was so distracting…

Story turned back to Clover the Clever’s journal. Really it wasn’t as much help as she and Twilight had hoped. The symbol Clover had drawn in the front was something the ancient sage couldn’t identify either. She’d found it on a relic in Starswirl the Bearded’s study. At the current point in the journal, Starswirl was refusing to tell Clover what the symbol was.

Ostorozno!” The outcry caught Story by surprise and she looked in the direction of the voice. Blaze had stretched his wings, and apparently smacked an innocent Stalliongrad pony, who was now shouting in his native tongue.

“Sorry- I- ah!” Blaze closed his wings and jumped as the pony started waving an umbrella at him. “I’m sorry! OW!” The umbrella smacked Blaze’s shoulder, and probably hurt more than the offended pony intended. Blaze was almost fully recovered, but taking a direct hit to his bad shoulder had to sting. It even looked like Blaze had been hit right on his scar. The Stalliongrad pony walked off, satisfied at having chastised his offender. Story walked over to Blaze.

“Are you ok?” She lit her horn to start the simple healing spell Twilight had taught her during Blaze’s recovery.

“I’m fine.” He shook out his shoulder. “He didn’t hit me that hard. Are all Stalliongradians that crazy?”

“Probably not.” Story couldn’t help but giggle a little. She’d never forget the sight of Blaze cowering in front of a short earth pony wielding an umbrella. The door of the train car opened and Twilight walked in. She’d decided to come along with Story and Blaze to Stalliongrad for their investigation.

“What happened in here?” Twilight looked around, all the other passengers were looking away. “All I could hear was shouting.”

“An accident.” Blaze spoke sharply returned to his seat, brows furrowed. He sat with a thump. Story and Twilight giggled. They couldn’t help it. Story knew Blaze hated trains. He would have voluntarily flown to Stalliongrad if he weren’t injured.

“I see.” Twilight turned to Story. “Learned anything new?” They both sat down with the journal between them. Both of them could read Ancient Unicorn, and so they were both on journal duty. Story was still stuck in the doldrums of Clover’s daily life. Fascinating in some ways, just as boring as modern daily life in others. Either way, not helpful in solving the mystery symbol.

Twilight started reading the journal for herself, and Story found her eyes wandering again. The foliage caught her eye as the train raced past a bright red tree in a sea of orange and gold. After it flew by, Story’s eyes landed on Blaze again. She couldn’t figure out why he looked so handsome all of a sudden. She’d never thought of him as bad looking, but now she was so aware of him, and his muscular physic and his square muzzle and his mane that alternately went straight back or fell in his eyes and somehow the scar he’d acquired on his right shoulder just made him look so, so-

“Busted!” Twilight gently pushed Story, “I think you have a crush on somepony!” She giggled. Story blushed furiously.

“I-“ She started to protest. But that would have been pointless and a lie, “I think I have more than a crush on him,” She whispered, not ready for Blaze to hear, though the train noise probably would have prevented him from hearing anyway.

“Oh?” Twilight leaned over and raised an eyebrow at her, “Have you two-“

“NO!” Story nearly shouted and blushed a deeper blush that she’d ever blushed before. Blaze did turn and look. Story sank back down into her seat.

Twilight started to laugh, “I was going to say ‘been on a date,’ but that was better.” Once Twilight regained her composure, she asked a better question, “So, are you two an item?” Twilight felt silly asking. Now that she had met Blaze and Story’s parents, she knew that they already considered the two an item. Story’s sister had already picked out Story’s wedding dress. Twilight didn’t think they were that serious but…

“No. I’m not sure he feels the same. I only realized after…” Story looked over to where Blaze was sitting and realized he was walking away. That somehow made her more nervous.

“Doesn’t feel the same? Do you pay attention to him at all?” Twilight couldn’t hold it in. They were so close! If only Cadence were here, she’d have this all worked out already.

“What do you mean? He’s pretty much the same he’s always been.” Story looked out the window and sighed. Blaze treated her the same way he always had, which wasn’t a bad way to be treated. Blaze treated her like a sister, and right now it was super annoying.

“He’s always treated you like this?” Twilight put the book down, “Always been there for you? Always protected you? Always put his own life in harm’s way for you?”

“More or less. This was the first time his life was in danger, which I feel awful about.” Story resisted the temptation to hide under her hooves.

“Story,” Twilight put a hoof on her friend’s shoulder, “I’m not a romance expert, but I think Blaze treats you better than most stallions even think about treating mares.”

“You don’t have to tell me how amazing he is.” Story knew. Blaze had always been amazing. His stories of finding things could be made into novels. Or the best bed time stories ever for their- Story stopped herself. She’d never daydreamed this much before.

“I’m not trying to-“ Twilight was now resisting the urge to face hoof. “Does he treat all mares the same way he does you?”

“Um,” Story had to think, how many mares had she actually seen Blaze interact with? “Well,” she continued, “Not when we were younger, but I really haven’t seen him with that many mares.”

“Really? He’s never dated anypony else?” Twilight hoped Story was thinking about this. How could she not see it?

“He’s not in Canterlot as much as you would think. Most of his cases take him out of-“

“How does he treat your friends?” Twilight knew Story could talk about Blaze as much as the two of them could talk about the library.

“My friends?” Story blushed, for a very different reason. “I never really had any close mare friends. Blaze was my best friend growing up. I mean I had a few mare friends here and there, but most of that was years ago in school.”

Twilight started to laugh. She should have been friends with Story long ago. They had so much in common. “I can relate.” Story started laughing too. They calmed down once the other passengers started glaring at them.

“Still, Story, I think you should tell Blaze.” Twilight smiled, “You’ll only beat yourself up until you do”

“I-I can’t, not yet.” Story hung her head, “I want this to be over first. I don’t want to start a relationship like this.”

“This may be your best chance.” Twilight didn’t want to consider the possibility that somepony wouldn’t come back from this, but it could happen.

“I know, but I think I need a few more answers first. I want Blaze to know who I really am before we become and ‘us.’ Story glanced back out the window at the mountainside.

“Hey, who you really are is you. Who your parents are isn’t going to change who you are.” Twilight saw Story smile. “If you don’t think now is the right time to tell Blaze, I won’t make you. I just want you to know that Blaze probably won’t care how all of this ends up.”

Story chuckled, but it only managed to sound dry. “Wait ‘til he finds out the unicorn who tried to kill us might be my father.”

“I’m sure it won’t matter to- wait. What?”

***

Rarity was seated in a booth in the dining car. She was on her way to Stalliongrad to meet with a tailor who had a brilliant fabric that was superlight and warm, but he would only sell to ponies he’d actually met.

At the moment, however, she was waiting for Spike. The baby dragon had followed her into the dining car, and then gone to get something, and never come back. Rarity had been glad to find that Twilight, Storybook, and Blaze were going to be on the train as well. A three day train trip with no pony you knew would be dreadful.

Rarity looked up and saw Blaze sit down in the booth across from her. He looked distressed and a little grumpy. Rarity had learned he hated traveling by train, but this seemed to be something more. There was only one way to find out.
She walked over to the stallion, “Why is such a handsome stallion sitting alone?” Rarity used her most flirtatious voice, and fluttered her eyelashes. Blaze didn’t even blink. Just as she supposed. This was about Story. “Blaze!” Rarity saw him jump a little.

“Rarity! For Celstia’s sake, don’t sneak up on ponies!” Blaze moved over, and Rarity sat down.

“A lady does not sneak up on ponies. Just as a gentlecolt should pay more attention to ladies.” Rarity raised an eyebrow at him.

“Sorry, I was thinking.” Blaze turned to the window.

“Yes, probably about a lovely golden-yellow mare?” Rarity fluttered her eyelashes at him. “Hmmm?”

“How do you know these things?”

“Feminine intuition, darling. But I sense that your thoughts are not happy.” Rarity stared at him.

“It’s nothing.” Blaze pretended to look at the menu. Typical stallion. Rarity rolled her eyes.

“Blaze, darling, there is no point in avoiding the question.”

“It’s just- she’s so, so- distant.” Blaze felt like an idiot. A huge idiot. Talking about this wouldn’t fix it.

“Distant?” Rarity thought for a moment, “Well, she has been through a lot lately.”

“It shouldn’t bother me. It just-“

“Just what, darling?”

“I almost died.” Blaze lowered his head. “I thought maybe-“ It was dumb. Nearly dying didn’t necessarily mean Story would fall head over heels, but wasn’t how this was supposed to work? Not that he’d been thinking about this while nearly dying.

“I see. Blaze, have you considered that perhaps Story is feeling guilty?” Rarity took his menu, “She probably feels that all of this is her fault, and that perhaps you should not have needed to risk your life.”

“I guess.” Blaze sighed, “But it’s not her fault. I was the one who brought her down there. I put her life in danger. I only did what I did to protect her.”

Rarity smiled. She wished there were some stallion out there willing to die for her, but this was not the time for daydreaming. “I think she knows that, Blaze. Give her time.”

Blaze took a deep breath, “I’ve just waited so long already.”

“Why did you wait?” Rarity really didn’t need to know this, but she really, really wanted to, “I can see why you’re not telling her now, but why not earlier.”

“I’m not sure.” Blaze went back to staring out the window. “I guess I didn’t want to mess up what we had.”

“I think all of this will work out fine.” Rarity coiffed her mane, and pouted putting on a show, “And I might put in a good word for you, if you’re nice to me.” She winked and Blaze laughed.

“Hey!” Spike’s voice came from below. The two ponies looked over the edge of the table at him. “Is he bothering you Rarity?”

“Oh, not at all Spike.” Rarity gestured to the seat across from them, “Come have a seat. I was just giving Blazefinder some romantic advice.”

Spike spent the next two days glaring intently at Blaze.

***

“Finally!” Blaze practically jumped off the train, “Stalliongrad.” He took a few steps away from the train and spread his wings. Three days on a train was torture. Everything was too small on trains.

“It’s nice to see you in a good mood.” Story smiled as she walked out as well. “And it is nice to be out in the fresh air.”

“Cold fresh air.” Spike shivered. “Why is there a town up here?” Stalliongrad was positioned east of Canterlot and had a high elevation. The town itself was not large, and the majority of inhabitants descended from the original founders on at least one side. They were very proud of their city.

“The ponies who founded this town originally came from the Hooviet Union.” Story lowered her head to Spike’s. “It’s much further north than Equestria, and colder. When those ponies came here they chose someplace like home.”

“Don’t the pegasi control the weather?” Spike asked as he shivered. Story pulled out an extra scarf. She wrapped it around the little dragon.

“The weather yes, the climate no.” Story smiled at the tiny dragon. He reminded her of the many foals who often came to the library for story time. Her grandfather once joked that they should call it “Story’s Time,” because the foals all loved hearing her tell stories so much. Story loved it too. She’d loved how involved all the foals got. They’d yell at the villains and give advice to the heroes. Their little faces would express so many things in a matter of seconds.

“What’s the difference?” Spike shivered less now. Story didn’t think it was really that cold, not much colder than fall in Canterlot anyway. Spike was probably cold because he was cold-blooded.

“Well, basically, different places are colder or hotter based on where they are.” Story noticed the rest of the group walking. “Hop on and I’ll explain” The little dragon climbed on her back. He would probably be warmer too.

Story followed Blaze, Twilight and Rarity, as she explained to Spike why it was cold. Twilight was rather impressed that Story was able to hold Spike’s attention so long. Normally he would have stopped paying attention as soon as science was involved.
Blaze, Rarity, and Twilight also noticed the chill in the air. It wasn’t quite cold enough for a coat, but the three all pulled scarves out of their saddle bags. The group walked along the streets of Stalliongrad. The city was surprisingly beautiful, Twilight had read about it, but seeing it was different.

The oldest buildings were all topped with tear shaped domes, painted bright, contrasting colors, some even covered in precious metals. The molding on the windows, buttresses and door frames was detailed with tiny shapes, layered over each other in a colorful display of artistry and skill. There were some buildings with carvings of ponies and recognizable images, but most were a wonderful assortment of shapes and colors. The towers that rose from the buildings, topped with the same domes, were so ornamented the ponies wondered if they actually had any rooms inside. Some were so short, it seemed that they were built only to show that they could be built.

As the group followed Blaze, who had the map, they wandered out of the historic part of the city that was filled with the museums, libraries and even a few famous homes, and into the part where most ponies lived. Here, much to everyone’s surprise, the houses and apartments were just as lovely. They were simpler shapes, flat roofs, fewer, almost no, towers. There was little intricate molding as well.

Instead the buildings were painted. Stylized flowers surrounded by unfolding leaves and smaller blooms covered nearly every door. The walls were a deep red hue with the edges painted to mimic the molding on the bigger, older buildings.

Rarity was taking careful note of all of the décor and patterns. She would have to take some time to sketch while she was here. The group stopped at the hotel where they were all booked. Rarity was sort of disappointed that Twilight had refused the Governor’s offer for them to stay at the old palace, but this hotel was so much closer to everything the group was actually doing, which was not sightseeing.

“It looks a lot like Canterlot, only with more colors.” Blaze looked around him. He was just glad they were here.

“The Architecture in Canterlot was inspired partly by the workings of the old Hooviet Empire.” Twilight answered this time, “Before the royals were driven out.”

“I’d love to see the old empire.” Rarity sounded like she was dreaming, “It must be fabulous. This city is gorgeous.” Rarity looked at the others as they nodded in agreement. It was then that Rarity noticed Blaze’s scarf. It was positively ratty.

“Well, most of that got destroyed. Stalliongrad looks more like the old Empire than the Hooviet Union does today.” Story let Spike off her back as they entered. Once they got through the door, Story was surprised to see Blaze’s scarf floating off surrounded by blue magic.

“Hey! That’s-“ Blaze protested and reached up to grab it.

“Positively horrid.” Rarity inspected it closely, pulling out of Blaze’s reach. “It’s so old, and I don’t think this is the original color.” Story looked at the scarf from next to Rarity.

“Blaze, is this the one I got you?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah.” Blaze answered.

“When I was nine?”

“Maybe.” Now he blushed a bit, catching the looks the mares were giving him.

“You never got another one?” Story used her magic and took it from Rarity, “Why? Is this even warm anymore?” She held up a portion with a large hole.

“I never thought about it. I’ll go check us in.” Blaze crossed the lobby to the receptionist’s desk in record time.

“I think I may have to get him a new scarf while we’re here.” Story put the ratty old on in her saddle bag. In some ways it was cute, that he’d kept it so long. She felt silly that it made her happy. Blaze must have gotten cold enough to at least think of replacing it.

“Story, I just now realized that you don’t have a scarf.” Rarity opened her saddle bag, “I must have another here.” She levitated out four, each a different color or pattern. “Let’s see, the blue one might blend in to your mane, and the stripes don’t work with yellow, and-“

“Rarity, I have a scarf. It’s pink.” Story levitated it out of her bag, “And new.”

“Weren’t you cold?” Twilight put her own scarf in her bag, before Rarity could notice how old it was.

“Not really. It’s only fall.” Story put her scarf back, after it got a nod from Rarity. “I don’t get cold easily. But don’t worry, I packed scarves and a coat and even boots. I wasn’t sure how long we’d be here, so I’m ready for winter.”

***

The next day found Rarity deep in business discussions, Spike following her to “help,” and the others walking up to a bedraggled apartment building.

“Are we sure this is where he lives?” Blaze looked at the girls, then back to the section of wall with the plaster falling out.

“This is the right address.” Story compared the numbers on the buildings to the ones written on the paper she was levitating. Story walked up to the door and rapped on the splitting, rotting wood. There were only a few traces of the painted pattern remaining.
A loud creak was followed by the appearance of an older mare, her main covered by a scarf tied under her chin. Her scowl offset her grandmotherly appearance.

“Vhat? You here for room? Zher is no room. Go avay.” She started to shut the door.

“Wait, babushka, we aren’t here for a room.” Story used the politest voice she could, knowing that Stalliongrad ponies put a lot of stock in respecting your elders.

“Vhat zhen?” The old mare’s voice cracked.

“We’re here to see someone, a professor who rents from you.” Story smiled at the older woman. “He should be expecting us.” Well, Story hoped he’d be expecting them, he’d never actually responded.

“Professor?” The mare glared at her.

“Yes, Professor Emeritus. I think his full name is Scholar Emeritus.” Story continued to smile, “If you could show us his room, Babushka that would be very helpful.”

“Zhat pony? I take you. Maybe you get him to leaf.” The mare opened the door and started walking. Story, Blaze, and Twilight followed. The old earth pony mare mumbled in the Hooviet language.

“Why would one of the most lauded professors in Equestria retire to this place?” Twilight stepped over the curled edge of the rug. The building was dark and crowed, only a couple of stories tall, but it must have had seventy apartments.

The landpony led them up a narrow set of stairs. Blaze was tempted to fly after he actually stepped through one. Twilight carefully avoided the hole. Every step they took sounded like a dog slowly biting a squeaky toy. Just as they thought the stairs would collapse, the next floor was spotted. It didn’t feel any sturdier after they stepped on to it. The landpony stopped at the third door in the hallway.

“Zhis is him. Good luck.” She started mumbling again as she walked past them back to the stairs. What was this? Story knocked on the door. Nothing happened, so she knocked again, only louder. As she pounded on the door, it swung open.

“Oh My.” Story stared at the labyrinth in front of them. Columns of paper stood from floor to ceiling, leaving just enough room for a pony to walk through. There were also boxes, shovels, crates, globes, and other objects littering the floor. “Professor?” The professor was the one thing they didn’t see.

Story, partly against her better judgment, took a step into the crowded apartment, which had probably been roomy at first. She heard the others follow her, careful not to disturb the precarious stacks. “Professor Emeritus?” She called again. The room was strangely void of actual furniture. She couldn’t even make out a kitchen, or a bedroom door in all the clutter. She turned down a path between two walls of paper. At the end was the back of a large chair. She started walking towards it.

“Professor, um are you here?” Story began walking around the chair. “I’m Story, we sent you a letter. Are you- EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

Blaze heard Story scream and ran towards the noise, knocking over a few piles of paper. What if the ponies after Story had already gotten to the Professor? What if they were still here?

“Story, are you-“ Blaze stopped as he reached Story’s side. Her wide eyes were aimed at a big, probably old, stuffed chair. Story had started taking very deep breaths.

In the chair was an articulate pony skeleton. Was that the professor? That seemed impossible. Blaze leaned over closer. He sniffed it.

“Plaster.” Blaze heard Story let out a sigh of relief. This was not the professor, though this place was a hazard to ponies’ health.

“ACH! What have you done to my files?” An older unicorn appeared from around another stack of paper. His horn started to glow and a pile of papers restacked. Then he glared at Blaze. “Who are you? What do you want? Get out! Out! Out!” He started trying to push Blaze out, but the feeble strength of the older, cardigan clad unicorn was no match for Blaze’s sheer size.

“Professor, we came to speak with you. You didn’t answer the door.” Story calmed down enough to speak.

“That-“ He kept trying to push Blaze, “-is no reason to invade somepony’s home.” He gave another shove, “My dear sir, could you do me the favor of removing yourself?” He looked up at Blaze.

“No. We need to speak with you.” Blaze gestured his head towards Storybook. “I’m Blaze, this is-“

“Storybook! Why, it’s been over eighteen years since I saw you.” The Professor leaned in very close to Storybook.

“You actually recognize me?” She leaned away. She hadn’t been sure if he would. But right now he was in her personal space.

“Of course. My memory isn’t what it used to be, but I couldn’t forget finding you.” The Professor looked into the chair, “Oh, heavens, is that where I put that old relic?” He levitated the skeleton out of the room, and sat down in his chair. “I’m sorry it frightened you.”

“Its ok, I’m a little more jumpy than normal.” Story looked around for a place to sit. “We came to see you about, well, about me, actually.”

“Yes, I think I got a letter, one from a Princess Twilight Sparkle. I didn’t assume that anypony would be coming all the way out here personally.” The professor levitated two crates over into the small space around the chair.

“Where is Twilight?” Blaze asked as he sat on the crate. He hadn’t seen her since Story screamed.

“Right here.” She deadpanned and glared, a few pieces of paper stuck to her coat, and a few more to Spike and one was impaled by her horn. “Your wild careening knocked a giant wall of paper on top of me!”

“Sorry.” Blaze stared at the floor. Twilight shook and levitated the paper off of her, and Professor Emeritus brought over a third crate.

“I apologize that there is so little furniture. I’ve been a bit pre-occupied with a translation the past few years.” The professor gestured to all of the stacks of paper around them. “Ancient pony epics tend to be, ah, epic.”

“So, Storybook, what questions did you have for me?” The professor looked over at her.

“Well, ah, quite a bit has happened recently.” Story glanced over at Blaze and Twilight, “And the short story is that I need to know who I am.”

“I may not be as much of a help as you thought. Surely you know I only found you in the ruins south of here.” Professor Emeritus rubbed his chin. “I spent years trying to determine how you ended up in that chamber. There were only a million dead ends.”

“I’m aware of that, but we’ve found other clues.” Story pulled the journal out of her saddle bag, and opened it to the page with the symbol on it. “The first is this. Did this symbol appear in the ruins at all?” The professor leaned closer to inspect it.

“I don’t believe so, but there were several places that looked like a carving had been intentionally destroyed. That might be what you’re looking for.” The Professor looked around, “I should have sketches here somewhere.”

“Could we just see the ruins?” Blaze asked, not wanting to be the cause of another collapse. Twilight and Story both nodded.

“Yes, I think some of my old excavation crew may be able to help us.” The professor levitated a book over to them. “I’ll contact some of them. We can get an expedition together.”

“That sound excellent!” Story smiled. “Thank you for helping us Professor.”

“Please, it’s no trouble at all. I was wondering when I would meet you, as an adult.” The Professor smiled, “I am glad to see your parents kept the name I gave you.”

“You named me?” Story cocked her head. This couldn’t be possible, one more thing that she’d thought came from her parents.

“Well, yes.” The professor started flipping through the book, seemingly unconcerned.

“Why Storybook?” Blaze actually asked the question, because Story looked a little shocked.

“A foal abandoned in a cave, discovered by explorers, it sounded so much like the beginning of a storybook, that I decided it should be. So Storybook it was.” The Professor gave his explanation without so much as looking up.

“So, even my name-“ Story put her head in her hooves, “Is anything about me real?”

“You are real.” Blaze got off his crate and nuzzled Story. “Nothing that happens changes who you are. It just adds to it.”

“You’re sweet.” Story looked up and nuzzled him back. The professor leaned over to Twilight.

“How long have those two been dating?” He whispered.

Twilight was tempted to answer ‘their whole lives,’ but she refrained, even though it was true. “It’s complicated.”

***

In the street below Professor Emeritus’ apartment, one hooded stallion hid in the shadows between buildings. He ignored the ponies passing by his narrow alley, knowing they couldn’t see him. He was more concerned with the gathering in the apartment above. He’d used the tunnels in the mountains to follow them here from Canterlot. It had taken him a whole extra day to reach them, he was still too weak to teleport. He disliked getting old.

He feared what was happening in the apartment above him. If his treasure decided to return to the old ruins, she would be in terrible danger, but he had no right to stop her. She probably believed little better of him than she did of the others. They were the ones after her. His only desire had been to protect her. He’d nearly failed that day in the mines, and why he’d saved that Pegasus he’d never really know.

The door to the building creaked open and the hooded unicorn stepped out to see if it was them. It was. His treasure and the Pegasus, and their friend, one of the alicorn princesses he’d been taught were pure myth. There were so many things that his teachers had been wrong about. At first he’d been furious that his treasure had to be raised away from her family, but over time he realized how much happier she was here that he had ever been, save a few precious times. Now he only wished to keep her happy, and was truly sorry he couldn’t do the same for her brother.