• Published 24th Sep 2014
  • 3,535 Views, 73 Comments

A Year of Seasons - The Rising Tide of Night



A glimpse into the love and life of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, as told over the course of a year - a year of four different seasons that span a lifetime.

  • ...
9
 73
 3,535

And We Run Through the Rain - Spring (Part 2)

The rain pounded the ground in torrents, obscuring her vision as she ran. It was as if the pegasi had a feud with the ground and were using tonight’s storm as a way of venting their anger. All she could hear aside from the pounding heartbeat in her ears was the harsh sound of water striking the ground and the occasional rumble of thunder. She felt the mud under her hooves as she ran, the earth doing its best to suck her in with each step, while the sky attempted to beat her into submission with powerful raindrops. Her body was screaming at her to stop running and rest, to find somewhere warm and dry to relax, but she ignored her body’s demands, her mind focused on something entirely different.

Why did she do this to me? Fluttershy thought as she raced on, her emotions beating her in time with the rain. Why did it have to happen tonight?

“Yeah… I-I’ve got something to tell you.”

A flash of lightning illuminated her surroundings, and as the rumble of thunder washed over her, she began to panic once more as she realized just where she had run to. I-I’m in the Everfree Forest… she thought, recognizing the plant life of the dangerous forest bordering Ponyville. Oh, Celestia, I’m in the Everfree Forest. Alone. She stumbled in her run, tripping over a tree root that sent her tumbling through the underbrush, branches catching harshly at her waterlogged mane and tail and scratching up her side.

She finally stopped her tumble when she fetched up hard against a tree trunk, stars briefly erupting in front of her eyes as she struck her head. She lay there for a short while, the stitch in her side forcing her to pause for a time even while the rain continued its relentless assault. Her eyes searched through her surroundings, hoping for a hint of anything familiar, but despite all of her efforts she was unable to recognize anything.

“Something I’ve been hiding for a while now.”

She let out a soft moan of frustration before burying her face in her hooves, ignoring the mud she was smearing all over her fur. Why did I run? she berated herself, her thoughts jumbled. Why did she have to go and say that? Why couldn’t it have been something easier to deal with, like she was moving away?

The events of the night played through her mind, repeating over and over again with crystal clarity. The slumber party. Rarity’s announcement. Rainbow’s departure, and Rarity sending her following. Finally, in that dark hallway, the only light coming from the occasional flashes of lightning, Rainbow’s heartfelt confession.

“I… I love you, Fluttershy.”

The words echoed through her mind, each repetition sending her reeling. Those words had sent her into a rapid spiral of fear and longing, the two emotions warring within her until her deep-seated fears won. With those words, she had felt like her entire world had shifted from comfort and happiness to fear and uncertainty. She had barely managed to say… something… before her mind had kicked into overdrive, sending her fleeing from Rainbow and out into the pouring rain.

A sudden sound on the periphery of her hearing caught her attention, snapping her back to the reality of her location. She couldn’t make out just what the sound was over the pounding rain, but this deep in the Everfree, it could be anything. A quick glance around her gave her an inkling of the direction she had come from, and she carefully made her way away from the tree and back through the underbrush, her eyes darting this way and that in an effort to spot potential dangers.

Maybe if she hurried she could make it back to her cottage before Rainbow or any of the others found her, and she could barricade herself inside, never to come out again.


For the longest time, Rainbow simply stared at the place where Fluttershy had stood.

What… just happened?

After her confession, the shy mare had stared at her for a long moment, not saying anything. From what Rainbow could tell, there had been something going on in the back of her mind, though it seemed that her fears had won the fight. As Rainbow stood there, feeling both hopeful and foolish, Fluttershy’s eyes had widened to the size of saucers. After stammering out something vaguely resembling an apology, she had bolted from the castle as fast as her legs could carry her.

I thought… I hoped… Oh, buck, I’ve messed up. Rarity, why’d you have to push me to say it tonight? I coulda done this when I was ready. Stupid bucking feelings and all the frustrations that go with them!

A crash of thunder shook her from her paralysis, and she realized what had happened: Fluttershy had run outside alone into the biggest storm of the season. Quick, gotta go after her. If I go now, I might be able to catch her. But if I can’t see her, I won’t be able to find her. Gotta go back and get my flight goggles so I can see in the rain. But if I take too much time, I might lose her… Her eyes darted this way and that as if searching for a solution to her problem, before she just shook her head. Ugh! Ok, let’s do this. Go get the goggles, tell the others, and go find her.

Rainbow quickly flew back into Twilight’s room, determination mixed with panic on her face as she burst open the door. “Fluttershy’s gone and I’m going after her!” she cried, darting across the room to grab her saddlebags. However, she only made it halfway back across the room before she found herself halted in her tracks, enveloped in a purple aura. Shifting her eyes to look at the alicorn responsible, she growled, “Lemme go, Twilight! I gotta go find Fluttershy!”

“What’s wrong with Fluttershy?” Twilight demanded, having extricated herself from her sleeping bag and trotted over to where she held Rainbow. The others were following suit, having recovered from the shock of Rainbow’s sudden entrance.

A blush infused Rainbow’s cheeks, but she dodged the question. “She just ran outside! C’mon, lemme go, I gotta go find her! It’s a huge storm tonight, and she’s gonna get hurt!”

“What?” cried Applejack. “What in tarnation is that girl thinking, running out there like that?” She motioned to the others. “C’mon, let’s get going. Rainbow, where’d you say she ran off to?”

“I… I’m not really sure. She’s probably trying to get back to her cottage, though.” Rainbow’s voice dropped slightly, and a measure of guilt crept into her tone. “It’s where she usually goes when she’s upset…”

“Upset?” asked Rarity, a look of horror on her face. “Why, Rainbow, darling, would she be upset enough to run out in this storm? She hates thunderstorms!”

Rainbow felt Twilight’s aura vanish from around her, and she turned to give Rarity a venomous glare. Rarity stepped back slightly as Rainbow spoke in a harsh tone. “Rarity, if she turns out to be ok and this all works out, I just might kiss you. But if she gets hurt because of this, you and I are gonna have a talk. Got it?”

Without waiting for a response of any kind, she turned away and dashed out of Twilight’s room, saddlebags slung over her back and wings already spread. For a brief heartbeat everypony stared at Rarity at a loss for words, before realizing what had happened and dashing out after Rainbow and out into the pouring rain.


Fluttershy carefully pushed her waterlogged mane out of her eyes, searching for any sign of a familiar path or location. Wind was tearing through the forest, pulling her this way and that with a ferocity that frightened her. Broken twigs and leaves knocked down by the rain and wind continued to collect in her mane as she moved, while her tail was becoming caked with mud and leaves and all the detritus of the forest floor.

Another unexpected sound caught her attention. The storm muffled any sort of identifying aspects of the sound, but to her the low rumble sounded harsh and animalistic, raising her hackles high. The thought of flying away crossed her mind, but a moment later another lightning strike quickly shattered any desire to take to the air.

Spinning around, she desperately searched for any sign of the source of the sound. Unconsciously, she began to back up as her head lowered towards the ground. A moment later, she felt a sharp pain in her flank, like claws digging into her flesh, and she screamed before bolting off into the forest. She raced between the trees and through the bushes, desperate to get away from whatever had attacked her.

This night was quickly shaping up to be one of the worst nights of her life.

Dark shapes loomed ahead of her in the darkness, frightening outlines on the periphery of her vision. Her already anxious mind immediately took those shapes and twisted them, changing them into some of the most terrifying things she had ever seen. After what felt like an eternity, she finally forced herself to stop running, coming to a halt in the middle of a small clearing.

What do I do? she asked herself, chest heaving and eyes twitching back and forth. It’s dark and raining and I’m lost and I think something’s following me. What do I do?

A sudden rustling in the brush caught her attention, drawing her out of her thoughts. She stared, wide-eyed, at the place where the noise had come from, hoping against all hope that it was something friendly or at the very least something she could reason with. “Umm… H-hello?” she called, so softly that she could barely hear herself over the sound of the wind and rain.

When nothing was forthcoming, she started to relax, just a tiny bit. Another rustling jolted her back out of her sense of security, sending her whirling around to face the opposite side of the clearing. She waited for some sort of sign; anything to show her what was making these noises. “I-Is somepony there?” she said, but once more no answer came.

Instead she heard what could only be identified as a loud growl coming from somewhere off to her left. She let out a scream, immediately turning once more to face the source of the sound, only to hear more rustling coming from behind her, followed by another growl off to her right.

Her entire body was frozen in terror at this point. She carefully huddled down in an effort to make herself seem as small as possible, even as the rustling and the growls began to grow in volume and frequency. Her mind raced with all of the possibilities: she was surrounded by a pack of Timberwolves. There was a hydra toying with her, using its many heads to surround the clearing. Discord’s plunder vines had come back and were after her.

What have I done? she thought. I’ve put myself in such danger. All because I was afraid of truly admitting my own feelings to myself. The growls rose to a cacophonous level as her thoughts turned towards her friends. I’m sorry, everypony. Rarity, I’m sorry I messed everything up tonight. I now know that you were just trying to help Rainbow talk to me. Applejack, I’m sorry I’ll miss out on seeing your new foal. Pinkie Pie, I’m sorry for doing something that’s going to make you sad. Twilight, I’m sorry I messed up your slumber party. Rainbow Dash, I…

Rainbow Dash, I…

By now, everything around her was moving. The wind was tearing violently through the clearing, ripping at her mane and tail, sending leaves and twigs spiraling around her uncontrollably. The growls had merged together into one long, loud roar, the only thing she could hear aside from the pounding of her heart. She could feel the harsh sting of rain and debris against her skin as nature railed against her.

Rainbow Dash, I’m sorry for everything. I’m sorry for letting my fears get the best of me. I’m sorry for running away from you.

She closed her eyes as tightly as she could, folding her forelegs over her face and ears, readying herself for the end.

I love you, Rainbow Dash. I’m sorry I never told you.

Suddenly, the noise and wind that had been assaulting at her stopped, and the clearing went silent aside from the sound of the rain. Slowly, she uncovered her face, only to find herself completely alone. She scanned the edges, searching for any sign of movement, but saw nothing beyond the occasional soft gust of wind rustling the trees and the gentle sprinkle of the rain.

A moment later the underbrush rustled, and she spun around just in time to see a figure emerge into the clearing.


“She’s not here!” Rainbow cried as she rushed out of Fluttershy’s cottage, the others finally catching up with her.

“What?” cried Twilight, pausing to catch her breath as she shook the rain out of her eyes. “Where else would she be?”

“I dunno,” Rainbow replied, wings flaring as she prepared to take off once more. “But I’m gonna find out! I gotta find her!”

“Hold on, Rainbow!” Twilight called, holding her fast in her magic, much to Rainbow’s displeasure. “We need to get organized and do this methodically. If we split up into a standard grid pattern, we should be able to cover the town efficiently enough to eliminate all possibilities. Now, Pinkie and I will cover the south end, while Rarity and Applejack will –”

Twilight’s planning was quickly interrupted by Rainbow’s impatience. “Buck that, Twilight. We’re not gonna get anywhere looking in town for her! She’s not gonna go anywhere but here, and if she’s not here, that means that something happened to her!”

“I hate to admit it, but Rainbow Dash is right,” Rarity replied. “I know Fluttershy well enough that she would never seek refuge from anypony in town aside from one of us. Since we were all together at the castle, she would have little choice but to come back to her cottage. The fact that she is not here certainly leads me to believe that she has gotten lost somewhere.”

“She’s right!” Pinkie piped up, bouncing in place, her curls staying in place despite the pouring rain. “Fluttershy’s not in town. I already checked!”

“Wait, what?” replied Twilight, giving Pinkie an odd look. “How…?” She shook her head. “Never mind. In that case, where would she be? If she’s not in town, where would she go?”

The five friends looked at each other for a moment, before the answer dawned on them as one. “Oh, Celestia, she’s gotta be in the Everfree!” Applejack said. “She must’a gotten lost ‘cause of the rain!”

“How are we going to find her?” Rarity asked, shuddering. “The Everfree is a dangerous and dark place during the day. However would we be able to find anypony at night? And in such dreadful weather?”

“We gotta split up,” Applejack said. “Ah’ll head over Zecora’s way, and see if she went thataway.”

Rarity glared at her. “Applejack, you will do no such thing,” she said definitively. “You will stay here and wait for Fluttershy in case she makes it back home. I will not have you endangering yourself in your condition.”

“Now hold on a darn minute,” Applejack glared back. “Ah’m just as fit to run as the rest of y’all. Don’t go making me out ta be some kinda weakling just ‘cause Ah’m pregnant now.”

“I am merely looking out for your well-being, dear Applejack,” Rarity replied, stepping forward.

“And Ah don’t need that kinda help,” Applejack growled, stepping forward as well.

“You know what?” Rainbow interjected. “I don’t really care. I’m gonna go find Fluttershy. You two figure out what you’re gonna do and I’ll let you know when I find her.” She spread her wings and took off into the pounding rain before anypony could react, her flight goggles keeping the heavy rain out of her eyes.

She felt a slight pang of guilt at leaving her friends behind, but quickly pushed it away in favor of guilt at driving Fluttershy out into the storm. If only I’d just said something a long time ago, she thought. At least mentioned something. Ask her if she had any stallions in mind? Or mares? She snorted, water spraying from her nostrils. Yeah, right. Like I’d ever say anything like that. She’d probably drop dead from shock.

She quickly reached the edge of the Everfree, hovering indecisively for a brief moment. She scanned the forest’s edge, searching for any sign that a pony had entered recently. Unfortunately, the forest seemed just as impenetrable as always, thwarting her search.

A sudden lightning strike illuminated Twilight’s castle for an instant, giving her an idea. She turned to face the castle and flew upwards into the air, heedless of the charged atmosphere. From here, she had a bird’s eye view of the roads between the castle and Fluttershy’s cottage. Following the pathway with her eyes, she spotted a few places where in the dark and rain, it would be easy enough to lose your way and go off the path. Quickly tracing each path, she found one that was both an easy mistake and would lead directly into the Everfree if the pony following it wasn’t paying close enough attention.

“There,” she muttered to herself. “Hang on, Fluttershy, I’m coming.”

She flew down towards the forest, initially planning on flying over the treetops and searching that way, but the thick canopy quickly proved too difficult to see through. Diving down into the forest itself, she carefully zig-zagged her way through the trees, calling out for Fluttershy as she went.

Gotta find her and apologize, she thought. I owe her big time for doing this to her.

Somehow, through the sound of the storm, she heard a familiar noise: a scream echoing through the trees. A scream that sounded like…

Fluttershy!

She flew as fast as she could while trying to follow the sound through the trees. The wind and rain lashed at her, testing her strength and agility to the limits while trying to drive her into a tree or to the ground. It felt like the harder she pushed against the forces arrayed against her, the stronger they became, until it seemed to her that she was hovering in place.

What the buck is up with this place? she thought, straining her wings to the limit. Stupid Everfree weather! Nothing’s keeping me from Fluttershy anymore! Not tonight!

Suddenly, just as quickly as the weather assault began, it vanished, sending her tumbling through the air. She managed to right herself, landing on the ground in order to catch her breath for a moment before rushing forward through the underbrush and into a small clearing, where she found herself facing a bewildered Fluttershy. Stopping dead, she stared back at her friend as both of them waited for the other to make the first move.


Fluttershy stared, open-mouthed, as she found herself facing the soaked and bedraggled form of Rainbow Dash. Having just emerged from the underbrush, Rainbow was also caught by surprise, quickly wiping her flight goggles in an attempt to verify just what she was seeing. Slowly, as if in a trance, Fluttershy made her way across the clearing towards her friend, who was watching her uncertainly. Fluttershy couldn’t see Rainbow’s eyes through the goggles, but the set of her jaw and the sudden motion of her throat as she swallowed nervously told her all she needed to know about Rainbow’s feelings for this moment. It was something that the two of them shared, the feeling of both relief and apprehension.

“Rainbow…” she breathed as she approached, her steps faltering briefly before picking up once more.

“Fluttershy…” Rainbow replied, moving forward for the first time since they had found each other. “I… was afraid you’d been hurt or something.” She paused for a brief moment. “You… are ok, right?”

Fluttershy nodded in return, continuing her approach. The clearing may have only been a few yards wide, but at the moment it felt like miles as each step took all of the energy she could muster. She could feel her body shaking from within, though whether that was due to the cold of the water soaking her or the apprehension causing her heart to flutter madly, she wasn’t certain. “I-I’m fine, Rainbow,” she said softly, her voice trembling.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the two of them were face to face, Rainbow’s rain-fogged goggles obscuring her eyes. Fluttershy looked up at her impassive face, desperate to say something about her earlier behavior, but unable to form the words. She swallowed with some difficulty, her throat inexplicably dry considering all of the moisture in the air. “R-Rainbow…” she began, but was forestalled by an upraised hoof.

“I’m sorry, Fluttershy,” Rainbow said, her voice unusually somber. “Sorry for what I did tonight. I didn’t wanna hurt you, or make you uncomfortable or anything like that. Just forget I said anything, ok? I’ll take you home and you can get warm and dry.”

Caught off-guard, Fluttershy could only stare in confusion as Rainbow abruptly turned around, flaring her wings out in preparation for a takeoff. This couldn’t happen. She couldn’t let this happen. There was so much more that needed to be said, and she had to be the one to say it. “R-Rainbow,” she stammered, drawing her friend’s attention once more. “Rainbow, I… I…”

She couldn’t do it. She didn’t know how. Asking for something this big from another pony was the hardest thing she had ever done in her life, and she had no idea what to say.

Rainbow, seeing the hesitation on her face, turned back around to face her, her head tilted slightly as she waited for Fluttershy to finish. Fluttershy, however, just stood there, mouth hanging open slightly as she searched for something to say. Finally, Rainbow began to grow impatient, and started turning back away, preparing to fly once more.

No!

Fluttershy hadn’t realized that she’d spoken out loud until Rainbow spun back around, irritation plain on her face. Finding herself just inches away from Rainbow, Fluttershy did the only thing she could think of at that moment to get her intentions across.

She kissed her.

It was by no means a perfect kiss. In her haste she’d ended up kissing the side of Rainbow’s muzzle, and though she quickly corrected herself, she was certainly not an expert kisser. Her entire body was trembling violently due to both her anxieties and her slowly dwindling terror, making her teeth chatter against Rainbow’s. The two of them were tired, wet, and cold, and Fluttershy was still a muddy mess.

At that moment, however, it was possibly the most magical thing Fluttershy had ever experienced.

As they finally broke apart, Fluttershy looked up at Rainbow, waiting for some sort of response. When none came immediately, Fluttershy began to shiver once more, her head lowering to face the ground, water trickling down her cheeks to mingle with the tears that were forming. She had just opened her mouth to apologize to Rainbow when she found herself swept up in a bone-crushing hug.

The words began spilling out as she melted into Rainbow’s embrace. “Oh, Rainbow, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to worry you or hurt you or anything, I don’t know why I did it, I just –” Her words were cut off by Rainbow’s lips pressed against hers, and her mind went blissfully blank.

When they finally broke apart, Rainbow reached up to remove her goggles, revealing magenta eyes filled with hope. “Fluttershy, before you say anything else, just give me an answer: do you love me?”

“Rainbow…” she replied softly, a smile on her face and wings on her heart. “I love you. I have for a long time now.”

The hope changed quickly to joy, followed by confusion. “Then why…?”

“I… I don’t know,” Fluttershy replied, shaking her head. “I… I never wanted to admit it to myself for the longest time, and when you said you loved me, I… got scared…”

Rainbow was silent for a moment. A touch of hurt crept into her eyes as she spoke. “…Am I that scary to you?”

“No!” Fluttershy cried. “You don’t scare me at all. I… sometimes I’m scared of myself. Scared of what other ponies think of me. Scared of so many things… I’m sorry, Rainbow.” She sniffled slightly, her head drooping once more. “I-If you don’t want to be with me because of that, I’ll understand…”

There was a moment of silence before she heard some shuffling coming from Rainbow’s direction, followed by the feeling of something sliding into her tangled mess of a mane. She started, and looked up to see a soft smile on Rainbow’s face as her hoof slowly withdrew. Fluttershy carefully reached up to the new object, carefully extracting it and bringing it up so she could see it.

Her eyes widened as she found herself holding a jeweled hair clip in the shape of a butterfly. Amazingly crafted, the butterfly itself was made of pale rose-colored gemstones, with glittering white diamonds for accents. The stones themselves we set in a finely spun web of pale gold, almost exactly the shade of Fluttershy’s coat. “Oh, Rainbow, it’s beautiful,” she breathed.

Rainbow blushed slightly at the praise. “Yeah, I thought so too,” she replied. “Took a bit of my savings and I had to borrow from Rarity to get it in time. I… I hoped you’d like it…”

“I love it,” Fluttershy replied, hugging her close. “Thank you, Rainbow. I love you.” She marveled at how easy the phrase rolled off her tongue, and she said it once again, as if to test the feelings the words brought out of her. “I love you.”

“I… I love you too,” Rainbow replied, before she suddenly stiffened in Fluttershy’s grip. “Flutters? What happened to your flank?”

Confused, Fluttershy released Rainbow, turning to look back at her flank. “What do you mean? Nothing happened…” Her voice trailed off as she noticed three deep cuts resembling claw marks on her left flank, right where she’d felt the sharp pain earlier that night. Pain that was even now registering in her mind once again as she noticed the blood slowly dribbling down her leg. “Ah… ow…”

After all she’d been through that night the sight of those wounds was the final straw. Her eyes rolled up in her head, and the last thing she heard was Rainbow’s panicked voice calling to her as she fell into darkness.


Slowly, Fluttershy awoke to a feeling of comfort and security, very different from the cold and fear she’d felt earlier. Eventually, she opened her eyes, only to find that instead of the Everfree Forest or even Twilight’s castle, she was back inside her own cottage, lying on her couch and covered with a warm quilt. Confused, she looked around the room, wondering if the events of that night had been but a dream, when her gaze landed on the snoozing forms of Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie lying on a blanket on the floor in front of her hearth. A fire was merrily burning in an effort to ward off the chill spring air following the storm, casting a flickering light across the sleeping pair.

She gently shifted herself in an effort to get a little more comfortable, and the movement revealed two things: One, her flank still hurt from the cuts she had received, and two, there was a warm weight resting up against her that she hadn’t expected. Her head shot up to find that she had been laying her head on a curled up Rainbow Dash, using her flank as a pillow. Blushing mightily, she scrambled up to a sitting position, her sudden movement waking her unexpected bedmate.

“Huh…?” Rainbow said, opening her bleary eyes and looking up at Fluttershy. “Whazzat…? Oh, hey, Flutters,” she said with a jaw-cracking yawn. “How’re you doing? Feeling better?”

“Rainbow?” she said, still blushing. “What…? How…? What are you doing here?”

Rainbow chuckled. “You passed out in the forest,” she said. “I had to carry you back home and find the others before they all got lost. Twilight and Applejack managed to get you all patched up, but you were still out, so we all just kinda stayed. Rarity and AJ are upstairs.” She shrugged apologetically. “Sorry, Rarity insisted AJ get the bed. Something about ‘her condition,’ I guess.”

Fluttershy slid the blanket aside, inspecting her bandaged wounds. Seeing them in the soft light of the fire as opposed to the darkness of the rainy forest, they appeared smaller than she’d originally thought. Though whether that was due to the somewhat overzealous bandaging she’d received or to the actual nature of the wounds, she wasn’t quite sure. Whatever the case, she was back safe and warm in her home with her friends.

And with Rainbow Dash.

She stared at her oldest friend for a long while as she tried to figure out what to say, until Rainbow began fidgeting under her scrutiny. “Hey, Flutters, I know I’m awesome and all, but you’re starting to embarrass me a little…”

She blushed furiously and immediately averted her eyes. “S-Sorry, Rainbow…” she said softly.

“Hey, it’s alright,” Rainbow replied. The silence lengthened between them, the crackling of the fire and the occasional snore from Pinkie Pie the only sounds in the room. Finally, Rainbow looked up at her, a touch of uncertainty in her normally fearless eyes. “So…” she began slowly. “Uh… What happens next?”

Fluttershy bit her lip. “I… don’t know, really. I’ve never had a marefriend before…”

Rainbow shrugged. “Me neither,” she replied. “I guess we’re gonna find out together.”

“I guess…” Fluttershy replied before falling silent once more. Suddenly, she blurted out, “I love you, Rainbow Dash.”

Taken by surprise, Rainbow stared at Fluttershy for a moment before smiling widely. “I love you too, Fluttershy,” she replied softly, pulling Fluttershy into a hug and giving her a kiss.

A squeal of joy caused them both to jump, and they looked over to the bottom of the stairs, only to find a giddy Rarity watching them. “I knew it!” she cried happily, watching the two pegasi cuddling together on the couch. “Oh, Rainbow Dash, I told you that Fluttershy would be perfect for you. Oh, this is going to be so wonderful!” She gasped, and her face lit up. “Idea~!” she sang. “I can design matching outfits for the two of you, there are so many complimentary designs I can think of. And the wedding! Just think of what I could do for you for your wedding! Why, it would be spectacular…”

As Rarity prattled on and on about an uncertain future and the others on the floor began to stir, Fluttershy did her best to shut out her babbling while trying to enjoy Rainbow’s warm embrace. Somehow, things had worked out for them this night. She was in love with Rainbow Dash, and Rainbow Dash was in love with her.

This night was quickly shaping up to be one of the best nights of her life.