• Published 26th Sep 2014
  • 2,574 Views, 699 Comments

Most Daring Pony - CowgirlVK



Rainbow Dash and Applejack are at it again; Head to head trying to figure out who is the most Daring pony.... only this time something goes wrong and the challenge, who is the most graceful in defeat.

  • ...
13
 699
 2,574

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: Inner Demons

Applejack floated in a realm between sleep and awakeness. A throb in her stomach sent surging pain into her extremities. She worried and wondered what was going on outside of the little space about her in which she was aware.

“Applejack? We need you.” The dream from the night before returned to her. She had stood beside Luna. “Look.” Out beyond the grove of trees she had seen them as it was on the day of the Iron Pony Competition. She had seen the entire thing: Hoof wrestling, a long distance race, even a slow walk through the Everfree forest to the castle, then back. There were many other things. Finally, here they were, walking through her own neck of the woods, her own orchard of delicious apple trees. Once more she saw them... but not just seeing. She heard them, heard thoughts.

Rainbow Dash had been loosing. For once, Applejack was just one point ahead of her pegasus friend. And... she was jealous? Thinking, Applejack could understand why. Rainbow Dash hated coming in second to anypony.

“Listen,” Luna’s voice carried itself over the night air.

Applejack froze, listening to the conversation. She could hear Rainbow Dash, shouting words of pride and arrogance. But her thoughts... her thoughts were dark. Full of hate and malice for being less than the best. Hatred towards the fact that Rainbow Dash was one point behind her.

Applejack’s ears drooped. “Doth thou see?”

“Eeyup, ah see Princess... but ah- ah don’t-”

"News flash, my cocky friend. You did this to me! Now ah can't help my family, and ah can't do my job! SHOOT! Ah can't even help myself.”

Applejack froze, breaking out in a light sweat as she jerked herself up and out of the dream realm. Heaving, she looked about the room in terror. Slowly, she calmed herself and got back control of her breathing. She bit her lip, trying not to cry. Helpless. She was helpless.

She could feel the stomach muscles protesting as the sobs racked her body. She had to stop, she had to- too late.

Applejack let out a small scream as her body stiffened. “Help?” she croaked.

-----------------------

“Come on Fluttershy!” Twilight coaxed.

“I’m not so sure,” Fluttershy stammered back, her ears drooping. “I mean, I’m not-” Celestia draped a wing over the little yellow mare’s back. Fluttershy glanced up, her body stiffening as Celestia pulled her close.

“Your friends need you,” Celestia coaxed soothingly.

Fluttershy’s ears drooped. “Maybe,” she sighed.

Twilight tossed her a glance. “What’s wrong Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy didn’t answer, but cowered beneath Celestia’s wing.

“Help!”

All three mare’s ears perked up. Twilight was the first to move, taking the final eight steps two at a time, thundering towards Applejack’s room. Throwing the door open, she saw Applejack in the position that she and Fluttershy had found the farm mare in too many times to count in the last couple of days. “Fluttershy! NOW!” Twilight yelled over her shoulder.

Fluttershy was at Applejack’s side in an instant, helping her friend to simply remember to breathe.

--------------------

Applejack closed her eyes. “HELP!” she sobbed again, the spasms racking her weakening body once more. “Some- pony... HELP!”

The door was thrown open, Applejack winced as the sound waves sent little tremors through the floor, shaking her uncomfortably.

“Fluttershy! NOW!”

The noise was too loud. Too loud for her pain-racked body to handle. She cried out softly with at much strength as she could muster.

“Applejack?”

Through the haze of pain, she could hear a voice. Applejack opened her eyes and glanced up at the blurry figure.

“Applejack, breathe. You need to breathe.”

Fluttershy... The voice belonged to Fluttershy...

“Please! In, out.”

Applejack did as instructed. There was little more she could do at the moment.

Finally, after what seemed like forever (it always did), everything returned to normal as the pain died down.

She could feel warm blankets... or wings... she wasn’t sure which, draped across her back. She blinked several times. “Flu-” That was all the further she got.

“No Applejack, you’d better not,” Fluttershy told her gently.

Applejack swallowed dryly.

“I’ll fetch her some water.”

Applejack tried to look up. “Twi-”

“AJ, please! Give yourself a couple of minutes of rest before you try to move or anything.”

Applejack sighed wearily. “Ah ain’t ah baby,” she whispered hoarsely.

“Here’s your water, Applejack.” A magical aura encompassed her, supporting her into a sitting position.

Daggers of residual pain shot through her body as she tried to sit on her own, fighting the magical support. “Ah-”

“Applejack!” Twilight said sternly.

Applejack drooped, visibly defeated. After a few swallows of the tepid water, it was returned to table, and the orange farm mare was lowered back down to her pillows. “Ah’m sorry,” Applejack sighed, defeated.

Fluttershy wrapped Applejack in a furry hug, tears streaming down her face.

Applejack froze. “Are you alright, sugarcube?” she asked.

It was a few seconds before Fluttershy pulled back to look Applejack in the eye. “Am”, she hiccuped, "Am I alright? Applejack!” Fresh tears started streaming down the yellow pegasus’ face.

“What happened, AJ?” Twilight asked.

Applejack glanced about sighing. “Uh, ah guess it was the nap jerk,” she replied uneasily. She tried to sit up on her own, but the pain had not subsided enough, and it had severely weakened her. She flopped back down exhausted.

Fluttershy caught her and helped settle her in more gracefully, tucking her in. “How could a nap jerk do this?” she inquired of Twilight.

Applejack could not see Twilight’s reaction from her position in the bed. “I don’t know, Fluttershy.” Twilight’s voice, however, was uneasy and softer pitched. “Princess?”

That got Applejack’s attention. She once more attempted to sit up enough to see about the room.

“No, my little pony.” Celestia’s voice, firm, but caring, came from the opposite side of the bed.

Applejack turned her head to look. “Princess?”

“Rest.”

Applejack threw her hooves up. “Ah ain’t broke!” she exclaimed, her voice revealing her slight irritation. “Rest, rest, rest! SHOOT! That’s all ah’ve done! Ah’m sick of this!”

Celestia laid a hoof over Applejack’s, helping her return her hooves to her sides. “How many times have you been there, helping your friends and family through tough times like these?”

Applejack paused. “Many,” she answered, blushing. “Too many ta count.”

Twilight sat down beside Applejack’s bed. “AJ, I know very little about these types of injuries. I’ve only read so much. This is the only time I’ve seen it. For all we know, this is normal. But you need rest to recover. You can’t keep attacking everything. You’ll overdo it and get hurt even worse.”

Applejack’s ears drooped. “Sorry Twi,” she whispered and sighed again. “Ah’ve been sayin’ that a lot.”

Twilight smiled sadly. “You have. Now, when was the last time we gave you your medication?”

Applejack paused. “Ah know ya gave me Zecora’s stuff after the bath... the other...” she trailed off, making a face. “Ah don’t remember.”

Twilight flinched hard, facehoofing. “Sorry AJ, I completely forgot about it.” She hung her head in shame.

Applejack smiled sadly. “You’ve been worried about Dash, and everythin’ else. Ah’ve basically slept since then anyhoo. Don’t fret about it sugarcube.”

Twilight walked over to a list she had laid next to the medication and checked it. “Actually AJ, It looks like we are only about ten minutes late!” she exclaimed, quite surprised. “Guess Zecora’s stuff is helping more than we realized, isn’t it?”

Applejack grinned wryly. “Absolutely, Ah can feel it.”

“It put you out yesterday,” Twilight said, smiling.

Applejack blushed. “Yep, best sleep ah’ve had in a while, too. How’s Rainbow doin’?”

Twilight sighed. “Better.”

“And when are ya gunna let me up ta go see ‘er?” Applejack pried.

“Applejack!” Fluttershy exclaimed. “You need to rest, after yesterday-”

“Ah’ve slept since then, ah-”

“What about the spasm? The doctor said it would happen if you overdid it.” Twilight said, cutting Applejack off. “No, Applejack, I don’t feel comfortable letting you leave your room. To the bathroom and back or to the window is one thing, but all the way to Dash’s room... What if you can’t get back?”

Applejack sighed, exasperated. “Ah need ta talk ta Rainbow-”

Twilight, having retrieved the bottle of salve, stood over Applejack’s bed. “You are going to take it easy, and that’s final. We don’t want you back in the hospital hemorrhaging We’ve been over this, AJ.”

Applejack groaned, surrendering. “Ah know, just...”

“Just nothing!” Twilight firmly stated. “We don’t need it, and neither do you. Rest, and in six weeks, you’ll be back on the farm helping out. Don’t, and even a year from now, applebucking will be out of reach.”

Applejack closed her eyes. She fumbled around above her for her hat. Fluttershy quickly retrieved it and handed it down. Applejack snatched it and covered her face quickly, striving to control the overflow of pent up and contrasting emotions.

Twilight exhaled. “Come on, Applejack, I know this is hard, but it’s time for your medicine. That’s important too, you know. I have it ready, and since you’re in an independent mood, I’ll let you do it on your own.”

“Then leave,” Applejack stated.

“Applejack-” Fluttershy began.

“Please gals, ah know yer tryin’ ta help.” Applejack paused. “But ah need ta be alone now.”

Twilight and Fluttershy exchanged glances. “Not happening, AJ. One of us is staying.”

Applejack flinched. “Gals!”

“Fluttershy, you go ahead and take Princess Celestia to see Dash. I’ll stay here with Applejack,” Twilight said firmly.

“But-” Fluttershy stuttered.

“No buts. After what happened with Rainbow Dash yesterday, we aren’t leaving either one alone.”

--------------------------

“The schedule says, ‘Tomorrow: Rainstorm’,” Flitter informed her twin, Cloud Chaser. The two mares looked over to Thunderlane.

“Don’t look at me,” he said. “I’m as clueless as you are. What type of storm?”

The three assembled ponies exchanged glances. “Uh. Ask Dash?” Cloud Chaser suggested sheepishly.

“And have her think we aren’t handling the job?” Flitter exclaimed.

“Do you have a better idea?”

“No, but that can’t be the answer! I mean, we should be able to handle it. I mean, Miss Rainbow did have a meeting five days ago on this week’s weather plans.”

“I slept through that one,” Thunderlane muttered.

The twins both facehoofed. “Really?!” Cloud exclaimed. “I was hoping we could count on you to tell us what she said, because...” they exchanged guilty looks, “we did too.”

Thunderlane scratched the back of his head. “Isn’t this a fine kettle of carrots,” he groaned. “Now what?”

“Talk to Rain-” Cloud began.

“NO!” the other two cried, exasperated.

“Alright, so we don’t talk to Rainbow Dash, and the storm is either too hard or too soft... then what? We lose our jobs? Rainbow gets out of bed and hurts herself?”

“Too late,” Flitter sighed. “I saw Dash jump out the window to move a cloud yesterday.”

“WHAT?” Cloud Chaser exclaimed.

Flitter nodded. “Yeah, I was clearing-”

“You know what sis, don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.”

“Um, tomorrow’s storm?” Thunderlane reminded them.

“Yeah...” The twins sat down, all three ponies looking at the chart on the weather station’s wall.

“How does she keep up with this stuff?” Thunderlane asked.

The sisters shrugged. “Who knows,” Cloud deadpanned. “But obviously she does. Though with as much goofing off...”

“I can’t find anything!” Flitter shrieked, rummaging through the drawers. Most of the schedules lying about were little more than pictures, and there was absolutely zero info on anything else. Most of the time when Dash was away doing other things first, she drilled them intensely on the task ahead. Plus, she wrote out much better instructions on what they were to do.

“Well, we either have to keep looking or go talk to Rainbow Dash.”


-----------------------------------

Fluttershy led Princess Celestia from Applejack’s room dejectedly. “Sorry you had to see that, Princess.”

Celestia laid a wing over Fluttershy’s back and pulled her close. Fluttershy squeaked. “Listen, my little pony, I think no less of any of you for going through this. It’s nopony’s fault, for it simply happened.”

Fluttershy nodded. “I guess,” she said. “Let’s get to Dash an-”

“DISCORD!” screamed a voice obviously belonging to Rainbow Dash.

The two mares exchanged glances, then morphed into a swinging trot.

Fluttershy pushed the door inwards with her nose, then froze. What she noticed first was Discord. He had turned the window into himself... or himself into the window? One could never be sure.

She glanced about, both eyebrows raised. Pinkie was sitting beside Rainbow Dash’s bed, somewhat deflated and very confused. Dash was very flustered. Her body was so tense, it was as though she was contemplating firing herself at the Discord window.

Rarity and Luna were equally upset, but striving with lady-like discipline to stay composed. “Discord, darling, that wasn’t nice!” Rarity hissed.

“Oh, but it was a great deal of fun! Besides, Pinkie Pie was the only one who saw it. And that was only for a couple of seconds. You can’t fault a guy for having fun, can you?”

“Yes!” Rarity, Luna and Rainbow Dash yelled in unison.

“That was a meanie, mean, meanie pants thing to do!” Pinkie Pie growled.

“Uh... what’s happening?” Fluttershy squeaked.

The group turned. “Oh my dear Flut-”

Fluttershy’s eyes narrowed as she locked the stare onto Discord. “What have you done this time?”

Discord bit his lip, wringing his paws. “Um, nothing Fluttershy. Just going. Good to see you, Princess Celestia.” With that, he was gone, the window returning to it’s natural shape.

Dash almost fired from the bed, but Pinkie caught her in time. Fluttershy turned, rather concerned towards her cousin and lifelong friend. “Rainbow, are you alright?”

Dash didn’t answer. Her face was contorted in pain that she was trying to suppress with all of her might.

Fluttershy’s wings fired open as she galloped to Dash’s other side. “Rainbow! Please! Please answer me! What-what happened?” she cried.

“NO-TH-ING!” Dash squeaked out, rolling into a fetal position, tears leaking from the corners of her eyes.

Fluttershy glanced towards the princesses, concern and deep pain written on her own face. “What’s-what’s happening?”

Luna fired up her horn, running her magic down Dash’s body. She shook her head sadly. “We are sorry, but thou hast pushed thyself over the cliff’s edge. Thou now wilt suffer as thy friend doth suffer.”

Dash’s eyes opened slightly, unseeing. “What-” She got no further. With agony, she cried out in pain. “Make-make-” Her eyes glazed over, her body finally relaxing. Rarity was beside Fluttershy, grabbing one of Dash’s hooves. “Dash, Dash darling?”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes flitted open. She groaned. “Ow! Girls, give me a mo-” She winced hard again. “I’ll be fine.”

“I told you to settle down,” Rarity scolded.

Sighing, Rainbow nodded. “I know.” Slowly she relaxed a bit, but her face was pale and drawn.

Fluttershy clutched one of Dash’s hooves between her own. “Flutters,” Dash smirked.

“Eep!” Fluttershy squeaked.

“You’re squeezing my hoof.”

Fluttershy didn’t let go, her eyes saying everything that Dash needed to hear.

Rainbow sighed, “I’m sorry.”

“Hold on just a moment Dash. I’m going to get Twilight and some medicine,” Rarity said softly.

Dash looked up, then nodded weakly. “Gee this hurts!” she choked.

Rarity left the room slowly, bowing to the princesses quickly before departing.

Fluttershy sighed, gripping Dash’s hoof tighter.

“Flu-”

“Rainbow! Please!” Fluttershy cried.

Rainbow Dash exhaled, glancing over to Pinkie. She rolled her eyes, groaning at her situation.

-----------------------

“And, done!” Apple Bloom smiled as she leaned against the fence post.

Sweetie Belle, who had stopped a while ago, using her magic only to remove the weeds, walked over to Apple Bloom. “Finally! Now we can get back to the castle!”

“YEAH!” Scootaloo exclaimed. She shook herself, billows of dust rising off of her orange coat. “I’m so ready to go play with Dash!”

“And get some answers,” Apple Bloom added.

Sweetie held her nose. “Absolutely not! We stink!”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “Well, duh! We’ve been working!”

“And we’re filthy! You can’t go to a castle covered head to hoof in dust!”

“And why not?” Apple Bloom inquired.

“Because you just don’t do that!” Sweetie squeaked.

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom both huffed. “And how are we supposed ta get a bath? Ah promise ya, if we go inta the house, Granny is gunna get us onta another project!” Apple Bloom pointed out.

“Well, we could always go to my house,” Scootaloo suggested.

“And have your parents asking? No thank you.” Apple Bloom sighed.

“Well...” Sweetie thought out loud. “We could always go to the Boutique.”

The other two exchanged looks. “Well,” Apple Bloom said. “It could work. Rarity’s at the castle, so we won't get caught.”

“Caught! At my own house!” Sweetie suddenly looked uncomfortable. “I mean, my sister’s house! But anyways, it’ll be perfect!” she squeaked, her horn flaring. “I mean, Rarity’s got all the shampoo a pony could ask for!”

Scootaloo groaned. “Alright, I just don’t want to smell like a flower!”

Sweetie giggled. “Oh, I don’t know about that one!” she exclaimed mischievously.

Author's Note:

And thanks for reading. Thank you all for being patient with me.

Wow, I think Equestria is going to fall apart before everything is said and done... The weather Team wasn't listening, And the CMC is using the Beautique for a bath... I wonder what Rarity is going to say about that one! :trollestia:

And now they both need to be watched... now how are they going to be able to juggle that?

The Next chapter will be out as soon as it's ready. Life is wild at the moment, health, school, chores, holidays... you name it. But I'll try not to make you guys wait more than a week and a half. At the very most, three. I'm at a good point when it comes to inspiration, just don't have the time to write.

Thanks again for reading.

Cowgirl out.

PreviousChapters Next