• Published 20th Apr 2012
  • 1,418 Views, 25 Comments

Talon Sharpbeak - Belgianchief



Talon Sharpbeak tries to cope with injustice in the Equestrian justice. First Person

  • ...
3
 25
 1,418

Injustice

I sat by the river, waiting for one of the fish to swim close enough. Fishing was one of my favourite activities, it was so relaxing. And if you were patient enough, there would aways be a reward. A trout was swimming close to the shore. C’mon, just a little closer... I looked down at the reflection in the water to see myself staring back. I had a dark grey feathered head, with the tips of my feathers being black, with some minor white specks embedded. My wings were completely black, while the rest of my body was a very dark brown.

The fish I was hunting suddenly broke my mirror image. I swiped down in the water, catching the fish in my talon. “Gotcha!” I shouted. I pierced the fish on a big stick and started to roast it over the fire. Taking a look at my map and compass, I sat down and tried to orient myself.

“So this is the ‘scary Everfree Forest’ huh? Doesn’t seem that scary to me. And here’s the river I’m at, meaning I’m about... wow only two miles from Ponyville, nice.” I looked at the roasted fish. Best enjoy it while I can, I don’t want to start eating meat immediately once I’m in Ponyville, I want to leave a good first impression.

Just as I wanted to take it off the fire, I heard a shriek. “Can’t I just enjoy my last fish in a while?” I groaned and flew up, trying to see where the shriek came from. Not being able to scout the surroundings because of the high amount of trees, I started flying around in a wide circle around my starting position, scouring the ground. I heard a second shriek in the direction of Ponyville and flew my way over. When I flew over a clearing, I saw a pink-maned pegasus mare with a yellow coat who was lying on the ground. She had red splatters on her coat and a manticore running to where she laid.

I dove straight down and struck the manticore with my talons. It staggered backwards, allowing me to stand in its path between it and the mare. It roared and charged straight for me. Blast! I can’t move out of its way because it will just go for the mare. I’m heavy enough for the charge to not throw me off my paws. I successfully blocked his charge, but only barely. I managed to dodge the swipe it threw at me, and tried to swipe it. Apart from giving it some minor scratches, I did nothing to it, apart from making it more angry, roaring furiously now.

It threw swipe after swipe at me now, but they were easy to read and easy to dodge. Okay, plan. I can’t keep dodging forever. Suddenly the manticore thrust its tail at me. A plan immediately formed in my head. I saw the tail coming, sidestepped it and brought down my talons, cleaving the tail off. The manticore roared in pain, and I embraced the opportunity, and thrust the poisoned tail into its jaw from the bottom. The tail went all the way up its skull, killing him immediately. Even better than expected, I was just hoping to poison him, but this works too.

I heard a faint whimper behind me. I turned my head and saw the mare, completely covered in blood. “Miss, are you alright?” I called out as I rushed to her. I saw that she was going to black out, so I slapped her in the face. “Miss, don’t go out yet! Tell me, did it hit you with its tail?” I heard a faint “No...”

“Good, I’ll take you to Ponyville immediately. Now, this is going to hurt, but I’m going to have to pick you up with my talons, else I won’t be able to fly fast enough.” I did as I said, but I heard no reaction. Blast, she blacked out. Better hurry. I flew up and went straight east, towards Ponyville. I reached the edge of town in about a minute, to hear “Fluttershy!” I looked around my shoulder to see a pegasus charging towards me. “Do you know who-” I got hit in the head, and felt myself crashing towards to ground. Just before crashing, I managed to turn myself around so that the yellow pegasus would have a soft landing. This meant however, that I would take the blunt of the crash, and I blacked out immediately as my head touched the ground.

I woke up in a cell. “Is anyone there? Where am I?” I called out.

“Shut up, griffon. You’re a prisoner in Princess Celestia’s dungeon,” a guard stated.

I was still groggy from waking up. “What?” I blurted out. Then I remembered the pegasus. “Look, I know it might have looked wrong, but I can assure you that I didn’t harm her.”

“The court of nobles will decide that. They will see you in an hour. They are reasonable ponies, and they will surely listen to what you have to say,” the guard said, a little softened. “I’m sorry about my outburst, that was a little unprofessional.

“Thank you,” I replied. I tried to get up and spread my wings, but a sharp pain caused me to let out a shriek, much like a bird in pain. The guard picked up on this.

“Are you okay?” The guard asked as he opened up the door. He looked at my wing. “That doesn’t look too good, allow me to fetch a doctor.”

“No, it’s fine, I’ll wait until after the court session. If nobles here are anything like they are back home, they don’t want to be kept waiting. I just need to not move my wing.”

“Oh, are you new in Equestria?” The guard seemed genuinely interested in me now, way better than the guards back at the Greyfeather clan.

“Yes, I was just about ready to enter Ponyville from the Everfree forest when I heard a scream. I found the mare under attack by a manticore, and flew in and kicked its ass. Then I flew the mare to Ponyville... and I forgot the rest. How is she? Is she going to be okay?”

“I don’t know,” the guard replied. “I do hope she’s fine. Her name is Fluttershy, she’s one of the wielders of the Elements of Harmony.”

The tales of the Elements of Harmony had spread far beyond the borders of Equestria. Though griffons had always brushed off the tale as, well just a tale, I knew that they existed.

“Oh, an Element of Harmony. That explains the panic when I flew her into Ponyville.”

“I heard you flew her in by holding her in your talons.” The guard replied. When I nodded, he was shocked. “Why? You could have just laid her on your back.”

“Yes, I could have, but flying wouldn’t have been as fast. Besides, just because my talons are sharp, it doesn’t mean I can’t pick up anything without piercing it. Just like a manticore picks up its cub with its teeth. Thinking about it now, I would probably freak out too if I saw a griffon fly with a bloodied pegasus in his talons.” I laughed nervously. “Would you mind telling me your name?”

“I will only tell you my name, if you promise to both tell you yours, and don’t laugh at mine.” I nodded. “My name is Silver Bits. My father is a businessman and he hoped that by giving me that name, I would succeed in his hoofsteps. However, that didn’t happen. So now, considering my rank, everypony is calling me Private Bits.”

“Nice to meet you Silver. My name is Talon Sharpbeak.” After those words there was an awkward silence, which lasted for about a minute. “I’m sorry about not saying more, but I’m still working out how to say who I am best.”

“No problem. You are the first pony... I mean you are the first one ever to not make fun of my name. As for your history, it can’t be that bad, right?”

“I’ll tell you if you don’t change your opinion on me.” He nodded and I sighed. “Well, it began-”

“Private Bits! You are supposed to be guarding the prisoner, not having a conversation!”

“Lieutenant Greenhoof, sir! I was checking on the prisoner’s wounds, sir! It appears his wing is broken, but he doesn’t ask for medical help, sir.”

“Very well, private, at ease! Griffon, I will now accompany you to the court of nobles. You will not speak unless spoken to and you will stay by my side. Is that understood?”

“Yes, sir,” I replied.

“We will have to bind your wings so you won’t be able to escape,” the lieutenant continued.

“Sir, my wing is broken. I won’t be able to fly away. If this does not suffice, allow me to bind myself so there is no extra damage.”

“I will have to decline that. Rules and regulations. I’m sorry.” He used his magic to wrap a rope around my wings, strapping them to my sides. The pain burned through my body and I couldn’t help but scream. “Let’s go,” Greenhoof stated, and he pushed me out of my cell.

After a painful walk, we arrived at the court of nobles. The hall was giant, decorated by many glass windows, as well as banners and noble family shields. I had never seen anything so beautiful.

I was interrupted from looking at the scenery by a snobby voice. “Griffon, is your name Talon Sharpbeak?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I am Prince Blueblood, and you will address me as ‘your liege’.”

“Sir, I am no citizen of Equestria, and therefore you are not my liege.” I hated when nobles thought they were allowed everything, I loved being able to correct one.

Enough, you insolent fool! You may be no citizen of Equestria, but you will show respect. You were banished from your clan, and the first action you take, is harming one of Equestria’s citizens.”

“How do you know I was banished?” This is bad, there’s no way I’m getting out of this now.

“Ambassador Whiteclaw told me all about your situation. You were found guilty of desertion, assault and rape. The punishment for these crimes was banishment, which was very lenient considering the facts. Do you deny these facts?”

Ambassador Whiteclaw, of course. He, of all griffons had to be involved here. “I do not deny that I was banished for those reasons. I do however, claim that I was innocent for the accusations of rape and assault.”

“You are hereby tried for the attempt at murder on an Element of Harmony. We will go over the facts. You were seen holding a bloodied pegasus mare in your talons, flying over Ponyville. She was covered in her own blood, how utterly gruesome. Upon closer inspection there were a number of cuts made by talon-like objects. When we detained the accused, there was blood on his talons. Surely there can be no misinterpretation of these facts. I declare you guilty on the attempt at murder on an Element of Harmony. I sentence you to-”

“Wait! Am I not allowed to share my side of the story.” I sighed. “You know what, forget it. This is a charade and I will not play part in it. Do whatever ambassador Whiteclaw asked you to do.”

“Very well. I hereby sentence you to death by decapitation. Your punishment is due at sunset, in one hour. Guards! Take him away!”

I was transported to a small cell outside of the main dungeon. Through the barred window I could see the executioner prepare everything. The guardsman asked what I would like as a last meal. “Fish,” was my reply. The cooks were trying to be funny, I guess, so I got what I asked for, a fish. It was, however, still raw. Even I wasn’t hungry enough to eat a raw fish, so I just left it there.

“Oy, griffon, you have a visitor,” the guard said, opening the cell door.

“Well, well, Talon. How are you doing on this fine evening.”

“Shut it, Whiteclaw. Tell me, what did you promise Blueblood to get him to execute me?”

“Nothing, actually,” Whiteclaw responded with a grin. “Apparently he’s one of those griffon haters. He almost paid me when I said I knew who you were and what your criminal record was. That way he could have an execution.” He didn’t even bother to hold back his laughter anymore.

“Just you wait, Whiteclaw. You know I didn’t do anything. You know why I deserted in the army. You know I’m innocent. I was happy to leave you alone about all this. You won, I lost. I was going to start a new life in Equestria, away from everything, but apparently even that wasn’t enough for you. You had to ruin every chance for me to ever have a life again. Well, I’m not going to give you that pleasure. Guard! My visitor is done with me, take him away please.”

“I will see you later, ambassador. I hope you will enjoy the show,” I called after him. In truth, I had nothing, but at least the bastard would be worrying his head about everything that could go wrong.

The guard entered the cell. “It’s time,” he said, having a sincere look on his face. I nodded and we both went to the Palace Gardens, where the execution would take place. I noticed an old tree planted very close to the edge of Canterlot, looming over the cliff.

“How old is that tree?” I asked, at least wanting to know more about the surroundings where I would die.

“They say it was planted when Canterlot was built, so over a thousand years old. It was planted right under Princess Luna’s balcony.

“Do you know just how high this place is? I’ve heard stories about the drop being over a mile high.” I tried to play on the guard’s ego a bit, to have him tell me as much as possible

“Two miles, actually.”

“Wow... and with the sunset... it’s quite a pretty sight.” We arrived at the place of execution. “Can I get a last wish?” I asked the guard.

“Yes, they will give you that opportunity. You seem like a nice guy, I don’t know why you did what you did.” He gave me a slap on my shoulder.

“I don’t know either, but apparently I did. Thanks for the talk, it helped take my mind of this for a while.”

“No problem. I wish everypony would take it as well as you do.”

“I’m no pony,” I said with a smile, as I walked to the executioner.

“It’s been a while since I last had to do this, but let’s get this over with, shall we?” The executioner asked.

“Can I have a last request?” The executioner nodded. “Can you please untie my wings. One of my wings is broken, you can ask the guards. So I can’t fly away. I’d like to stretch my wing in the sunset one last time,” I said with tears in my eyes. The executioner went up to the guards and asked. I saw the guards nod, and the executioner cut loose my wings. I went up to the edge to feel the winds in my face as I stretched my one wing. It was the best feeling in the world, it almost felt like actual flying, while the sunset was beautiful. Then, I jumped.